Little Serow, East Dupont Circle - Isaan and Lanna (Northern Thai) Cuisine by the Owners of Komi

15 hours ago, DonRocks said:

If you haven't yet been to Little Serow, it remains one of the most important restaurants in all of Washington, DC, given its regional emphasis, its almost-humorously low price-point, its  impeccable service, and its consistently superior quality. I compare it to Tail-Up Goat or 2 Amys as much as I do any other restaurant, even though those three restaurants simply couldn't be any more different.

Well, you just named my favorite three restaurants in town.  I must be doing something right.

• Like 3

Has anyone been here lately and noticed a small snack menu near the business cards at the podium? I quickly scanned this thread and didn't see any mention. I had dinner here a few weeks ago and it wasn't handed out at the table/counter so they're probably not supplements to the set menu. I remember asking about it on my way out but can't remember the answer. Maybe it's for guests waiting for their tables to clear? Or takeout?

Very short menu:

kanom bung na gapi (shrimp toast) $7pp   <--- YASSS

prik gluea (sour fruit + salted chili) $4pp

khai luk khoei (son-in-law eggs) $4pp

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, guanabana said:

Has anyone been here lately and noticed a small snack menu near the business cards at the podium? I quickly scanned this thread and didn't see any mention. I had dinner here a few weeks ago and it wasn't handed out at the table/counter so they're probably not supplements to the set menu. I remember asking about it on my way out but can't remember the answer. Maybe it's for guests waiting for their tables to clear? Or takeout?

Very short menu:

kanom bung na gapi (shrimp toast) $7pp   <--- YASSS

prik gluea (sour fruit + salted chili) $4pp

khai luk khoei (son-in-law eggs) $4pp

Have had the first two--both delicious.

4 hours ago, lotus125 said:

How was it different from other Golden Mermaids?

Much was similar, but there were a handful of amazing small bites to start (incl. a scrumptious octopus dish), a huge plateful of enormous, sweet prawns to dip in the lobster roe, and one or two dishes more than usual.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Doctor said:

How's the opening line been lately? Weather permitting, I am hoping to visit this Friday.

Depends on the day of the week and size of your party.  If you're willing to eat during the second or third turn (I prefer it), you should be fine almost any day if you arrive by 5:15, if not even later some days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty L. said:

Depends on the day of the week and size of your party.  If you're willing to eat during the second or third turn (I prefer it), you should be fine almost any day if you arrive by 5:15, if not even later some days.

What do you do to occupy yourself in the interim?

13 hours ago, deangold said:

I suspect there may even be a bar in the area too. It is only a 2 minute walk to Annies Paramount Steakhouse, home to the most truly retro martini in 

Dean:  I'll bite.  What makes this martini so truly retro??  

Admittedly I've had martini's on the mind and additionally I may not have been to Annie's since the early 90's (or earlier).  In fact that has been so long that what you consider  a retro martini now might have been a martini then.

33 minutes ago, deangold said:

Clunky glass crappy vodka {it could have been even crappier gin with no discernible flavor}, bad olives, not well chilled, absolutely wonderful because of the love with which it was served. 

Now you are talking.  Though I have no memory of the type of martini I had there back in the dark ages, that description sounds about right.

So I arrived on a cold and slightly rainy Friday afternoon in December at 4:15 and I was third in line. On this particular evening, one could have arrived at 5 p.m. and still gotten in to the first seating. Unfortunately my companion arrived late, so I had to put us down for a second seating. (The Iron Gate is a great nearby place for a cocktail to pass the time.) At 6:47, I got the text that they were ready to seat us.

This was my third visit, but I hadn't been in at least five years. The overall experience is still great, but the food this time had probably the highest average level of spiciness. The pacing of the meal doesn't leave you much time to recover from the last spicy dish before proceeding to the next.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

So I arrived on a cold and slightly rainy Friday afternoon in December at 4:15 and I was third in line. On this particular evening, one could have arrived at 5 p.m. and still gotten in to the first seating. Unfortunately my companion arrived late, so I had to put us down for a second seating. (The Iron Gate is a great nearby place for a cocktail to pass the time.) At 6:47, I got the text that they were ready to seat us.

This was my third visit, but I hadn't been in at least five years. The overall experience is still great, but the food this time had probably the highest average level of spiciness. The pacing of the meal doesn't leave you much time to recover from the last spicy dish before proceeding to the next.

The number of (significantly) spicy dishes varies from week to week.  

Not sure what to say other than to add to the chorus of "this is amazing."  For years we wanted to try Little Serow but could never make it to eat there. Finally got around to trying their takeout menu and we're now kicking ourselves we didn't go sooner. Won't that make mistake again. Pork ribs, dry chicken curry, green pumpkin curry, all amazing. Our two year old ate so much of the green curry I barely got a taste.

• Like 6

Little Serow is offering Khao Soi dinner kit to go for two next week. Some reheating will be required and instructions are included. https://serowtogo.square.site/khao-soi

For $110, the package comes with:

• Nam Prik Num & Crispy Pork Skin
  • Chayote & Peanut Salad
  • Jackfruit & Pork
  • Herbal Pork Sausage
  • Chicken Khao Soi
  • Sweet Rice Slice Bite

We ordered a kit for Friday and can't wait to try it out.