Eataly, a Torino-Based Mega-Market in Flatiron (50,000-Square-Foot Italian Store is World's Largest) and Downtown at 4 World Trade Center

2 hours ago, dcs said:

So is The Met.  Technically it is only "suggested," so you can walk right in if you can withstand their withering glares.

They are very nice about it. I always pay something but not $25. I felt guilty until I read an article about the Met that said that admission sales were a very small portion of their income.

Was devastated in early August when we came here and found they had closed Le Verdure, the vegetarian-themed restaurant.  Ok, devastated may be dramatic, let's go with deeply disappointed.  While they were under construction on its replacement, the wife and I had a delightful meal at Manzo - splitting a cheese plate and a fabulous sweet corn ravioli.

Popped in yesterday and the new Il Pastaio has opened.  This may now be the largest counter space in Eataly - significantly larger than Le Verdure.  The opening menu has 12ish pasta bowls.  I had the Casarecce with tomato, almond, basil, pecorino romano (15$).  While not really what I was expecting (was more of a tomato sauce and less fresh tomatoes), it was a solid dish of pasta.  But that's all it was - no bread, no grated cheese, etc.  I got the sense that this counter may have just opened this week, so may take some time to iron out the kinks.  All-in-all, I enjoyed Manzo more - a more complete, composed dish.

Side note - $7 for a Peroni in Manhattan isn't bad.  I had a second, doubting I could find another at that price nearby.

• Like 1

Funny to read all the ten year old posts slagging Eataly.  You've gone about it all wrong.  Spend the morning in Madison Square Park with a good book and coffee, pop over to Eataly Flatiron, grab a slice or two of Roman-style pizza from the Alla Pala counter, turn around and get a tasty dessert treat from the La Pasticceria counter, and then head back out and enjoy a picnic in the park. 

Their fresh pasta is also good and nicely survived the train ride back to DC.  Their dried packaged pasta section also has some good finds, like Sardinian malloreddus and fregula.     

• Like 1