Boqueria, New York Tapas Chain in South Dupont and Penn Quarter

Boy, I'm happy. At around the same time I got a brand new Rasika branch, and a new tapas place that rivals Jaleo, both right near my office. Bad news for the wallet and waistline...good news for the palate!

To be fair, it's been a while since I've had a great meal at Jaleo, so I can't honestly say Boqueria is better than Jaleo ever was, but it's certainly better than the last few meals I've had there.

It's also significantly better than Guardado's, which I liked a lot when I tried it a few weeks ago. Timing is everything.

I've had good luck with the daily dinner special tapas, including an outstanding parsnip/orange concoction that was my favorite dish so far. The tapas from the normal menu, including a Gambas al Ajillo with lots of dippable garlic oil, the Patatas Bravas, and Albóndigas (juicy lamb meatballs), are all excellent.

The only disappointments so far have been an overly tame Pimientos de Padrón and the much smaller lunch menu...the great selection of meats and cheeses available for dinner are paired down to a few "chef choice" combos for lunch.

On the other hand, lunch service (especially at the bar) has been excellent, dinner service varies between overattentive and invisible.

There's a big haunch of high end Iberico Ham sitting at the bar, which goes for $34 an ounce I believe, that's on my list for my next dinner there. I wonder what the minimum purchase is...

Yeah, I was going to say, I hope they're a whole lot better than Jaleo is right now. I haven't had a good meal there since 2004. A better question would be whether it's in the same league as Estadio.....

This menu looks very promising, definitely worth a look.

Yeah, I was going to say, I hope they're a whole lot better than Jaleo is right now. I haven't had a good meal there since 2004. A better question would be whether it's in the same league as Estadio.....

This menu looks very promising, definitely worth a look.

Sorry, haven't eaten at Estadio...can't compare.

There's a big haunch of high end Iberico Ham sitting at the bar, which goes for $34 an ounce I believe, that's on my list for my next dinner there. I wonder what the minimum purchase is...

That seems pretty expensive...this place sells it by the 1/4 lb. for $30...obviously, not in a restaurant setting, pre-sliced. And at Pata Negra here in New York, they do a 3-ham tasting for $35...

Yeah, who knows? Maybe they even have a wait list for the bar.

Yeah, who knows? Maybe they even have a wait list for the bar.

And...they don't. Have a wait list for the bar, that is. Tried to get in last night and while there were plenty of empty tables (that had evidently been reserved), the bar was full. And they don't do a waiting list. Which is why we walked right out and headed to Vidalia.

Interestingly enough, on Wednesday night I met 2 friends at Maialino in New York. There was only 1 seat at the bar and the first thing the bartender asked me was if I'd like to put my name on a waiting list. To me, that's the right way to do things.

I've attempted to write something about my meal here last Friday a few times, but keep getting interrupted and haven't been able to post!

The long and the short of it:

• We arrived for lunch at 1:45pm. It was fairly empty so anyone who likes a late lunch this is a great option. They went beyond the norm in accommodating my allergies. Very pleasant interactions from over the phone, to the wait stand, to the servers. +++
  • I was thrilled* to be able to eat something "on" the menu, unadulterated. The hangar steak salad was delicious. A significant piece of meat prepared med. rare, as ordered, with a very nice beef flavor. Buttlermilk/blue cheese dressing, I believe, but my memory could be wrong on the exact specifics of the dressing...I was just over the moon to not have to use fresh lemon instead of a real dressing :rolleyes:
  • The blistered Shishito peppers with sea salt were like crack. Very addictive.
  • I had a rosé Sangria that was quite good. Not too sweet, but nice and fruity.
  • Barbara will have to comment on her fennel salad as I was unable to sample it.
  • We were both too full for dessert, but there were some items on the menu that defintiely appealed!

I would definitely return.

* for those of you who know my many allergies, I thought for certain I may not even be able to eat here. When I tried Jaleo (group was going) my meal was limited to basically ham and bread. So to not only be able to eat here but to sample items without alteration is an absolute phenomenal feat in my book!

I've attempted to write something about my meal here last Friday a few times, but keep getting interrupted and haven't been able to post!

The long and the short of it:

• We arrived for lunch at 1:45pm. It was fairly empty so anyone who likes a late lunch this is a great option. They went beyond the norm in accommodating my allergies. Very pleasant interactions from over the phone, to the wait stand, to the servers. +++
  • I was thrilled* to be able to eat something "on" the menu, unadulterated. The hangar steak salad was delicious. A significant piece of meat prepared med. rare, as ordered, with a very nice beef flavor. Buttlermilk/blue cheese dressing, I believe, but my memory could be wrong on the exact specifics of the dressing...I was just over the moon to not have to use fresh lemon instead of a real dressing :rolleyes:
  • The blistered Shishito peppers with sea salt were like crack. Very addictive.
  • I had a rosé Sangria that was quite good. Not too sweet, but nice and fruity.
  • Barbara will have to comment on her fennel salad as I was unable to sample it.
  • We were both too full for dessert, but there were some items on the menu that defintiely appealed!

I would definitely return.

* for those of you who know my many allergies, I thought for certain I may not even be able to eat here. When I tried Jaleo (group was going) my meal was limited to basically ham and bread. So to not only be able to eat here but to sample items without alteration is an absolute phenomenal feat in my book!

Squids forgot to mention the Patatas Bravas. These were incredibly good and light years better than what I had, once, at Jaleo. They came with two different little bowls of aioli (which she couldn't try) and a spicy tomato sauce. The shrimp with fennel was a very nice light lunch meal. It was very similiar to the orange/fennel salad I make at home, except that it had some very good marinated shrimp on top. I had a bite of Squids' steak and thought it was just delicious.

We over-ordered on the food; but, that was because we wanted to try so many things. I expect this will be a place we revisit fairly often. I would highly recommend this place for an HH get-together. Decent wine by the glass and a couple orders of those peppers and the potatoes would be enough for a crowd to nibble on.

Squids forgot to mention the Patatas Bravas. These were incredibly good and light years better than what I had, once, at Jaleo. They came with two different little bowls of aioli (which she couldn't try) and a spicy tomato sauce. The shrimp with fennel was a very nice light lunch meal. It was very similiar to the orange/fennel salad I make at home, except that it had some very good marinated shrimp on top. I had a bite of Squids' steak and thought it was just delicious.

We over-ordered on the food; but, that was because we wanted to try so many things. I expect this will be a place we revisit fairly often. I would highly recommend this place for an HH get-together. Decent wine by the glass and a couple orders of those peppers and the potatoes would be enough for a crowd to nibble on.

Yes the Patatas Bravas were fantastic as well--can't believe I forgot about those! (but i did warn you about my memory lapses!)

Yes the Patatas Bravas were fantastic as well--can't believe I forgot about those! (but i did warn you about my memory lapses!)

Well, I did notice that you said we went on Friday, instead of Thursday. Cue the music and sing along with me: "Ah, Yes!, I remember it well . . . " Ain't nothin' to do but embrace your nascent inner Geezer. ;)

I stuck my nose in here today after being relatively unaware it had opened where Penang had been. Now having read the thread, I'm wondering how people have found it rates relative to Estadio? When I went in and looked at a couple of menus late afternoon, that was the comparison that seemed most relevant to me. Will give this a try next week. Not sure ironic is the word but at least mildly intriguing a Spanish restaurant now sits atop a Mexican fast food joint.

• Like 1

Now having read the thread, I'm wondering how people have found it rates relative to Estadio?

We had lunch here today, and I liked it. I'm hesitant to compare with Estadio, because I've only had one lunch here and dinner at Estadio, and as a result enjoyed cocktails at Estadio that I enjoyed very much.

All of the tapas that we had were worthwhile. The highlights for me were the sauteed mushrooms with manchego and thyme, and the lamb meatballs. We also tried some of the croquettes, and enjoyed them, as well as the salt cod fritters, which were perhaps a bit mild for my taste and were a bit overpowered by the citrus aioli. The shishito peppers, as somebody said above, are easily addictive.

The place was jammed at lunch but service was smooth, and (very happily) they seem to have done a good job with sound reduction, so we could talk at a normal volume with minimal issues. We'll definitely return--the bar looks inviting (and I bet will eventually be very crowded, if it isn't already).

We had lunch here today, and I liked it. I'm hesitant to compare with Estadio, because I've only had one lunch here and dinner at Estadio, and as a result enjoyed cocktails at Estadio that I enjoyed very much.

I'm glad Boqueria is getting good early returns, but I can guarantee that they've got their work cut out for them if they want to have a better beverage program than Estadio. I don't see it as even in the realm of possibility. Between Mark, Sebastian, Max, Adam, Sarah (?), the multi-taltented Mick, Justin, and various others, Estadio - wisely - has the beverage program (fully 1/2 of the bill, with everything transferable from restaurant-to-restaurant) down pat. Mark knows what he's doing, that's for sure. When are we going to meet for some vino, almighty Lord of Penn Quarter?

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by what I'm hearing about Boqueria, but they're smidgens and scattershots by people I trust, but haven't dined with personally. Still, I'm getting more optimistic than neutral.

I'm at your disposal for a glass of vino....oh Lord of drunken 4AM posts. it is awkward for me to post about Estadio's beverage program on Boqueria's thread - I wish them nothing but the best - but I would be remiss if I did not supplement Don's much appreciated compliment with a clarification. Our wine program - 450 Spanish selections and ever growing - is the best selection of Spanish wines I have seen in the United states, save Casa Mono's glorious list. My darling Sebastian put together a strong opening list, but abdicated control of it to my son Max a few months after we opened. Max has not only done a sensational job expanding it, but he also runs the phenomenal beer, sherry, cider and Madeira lists - and is a fountain of knowledge on the floor for inquiring guests. I am extraordinarily proud of his efforts.

Other than a pretty pedestrian glass of sangria at the bar on Monday night (isn't all sangria in restaurants pretty crappy these days!?) and a hostess that was clearly clueless, I have to say that my first visit to Boqueria was excellent.

Sitting outside on a beautiful night with great company makes almost every restaurant worthwhile, but our server kept bringing out plate after plate of delicious food from the kitchen. Particular standouts were the beef and potato croquettes, quail eggs and chorizo on toast, lamb skewers and the squid ink pasta with shellfish that absolutely stole the show. In fact, other than a standard beet salad dish, every single dish that we had (a lot of dishes with seven people) I would grade at a B+ or higher. Overall, simply a great place to eat.

Very disappointing lunch there yesterday. All five items -- the bacon-wrapped dates; the spinach/pinon/chickpeas (way, way oversalted); the quail egg on toast; the squid; and the lamb meatballs -- were unremarkable at best; not nearly as good as comparable dishes at Jaleo and Estadio; and significantly overpriced (as is the case with many "small dishes" all over town recently).

I hope it was just an off day in the kitchen, since I've heard such great things about the NYC locations.

Very disappointing lunch there yesterday. All five items -- the bacon-wrapped dates; the spinach/pinon/chickpeas (way, way oversalted); the quail egg on toast; the squid; and the lamb meatballs -- were unremarkable at best; not nearly as good as comparable dishes at Jaleo and Estadio; and significantly overpriced (as is the case with many "small dishes" all over town recently).

I hope it was just an off day in the kitchen, since I've heard such great things about the NYC locations.

Sounds like an off day. When I went last I found it pricey (but I feel that way abt tapas in general); the flavors were clean (minus finding plastic in my squid) and balanced. It won't break taste bud boundaries but thought its a nice addition to the area...

I don't go enough to really judge where the overall quality is at the moment, but I can say that my lunch today, a serrano ham/manchego cheese sandwich served with a side of patatas bravas and a small salad for $9, is one of the better values in the Dupont area.

One clear long thin one and a few bits plus a circular one. Never seen squid cartilage--I feel so ignorant. It's usu cleaned when I buy at the Asian store--thanks Junebacon

Don't feel bad - many years ago, I complained to my server in a Pho house that my cilantro smelled like soap. She looked at me with some degree of indignity, and said, "no, that's because it's cilantro" (and she was right).

I'll bet a *lot* of people don't know about squid cartilage - thanks for the post, JuneBacon.

I don't go enough to really judge where the overall quality is at the moment, but I can say that my lunch today, a serrano ham/manchego cheese sandwich served with a side of patatas bravas and a small salad for $9, is one of the better values in the Dupont area.

Especially when the Pepe food truck sells a serrano/manchego sandwich for $9 without any sides.

Had lunch at Boqueria today - just a few tapas. The first two, the tortilla Española and the croquetas were just ok. Jaleo's croquetas, earlier in the week, were much better. The restaurant was redeemed though by the setas and the gambas al ajillo, both of which were quite good. I enjoyed the gambas more than those at Jaleo, as the ones at Jaleo, I felt were too sweet for my preference. These were more purely olive oil, garlic and pimentón. On the whole, I preferred Jaleo, but Boqueria was still quite good.

Somewhere I learned that Boqueria did unlimited tapas/drinks for brunch on Saturdays and Sundays, so we decided to try it out today.  It is $39 for all you can eat of a list of about 15-20 tapas (including a couple of sweets), and all you can drink of sangria (3 kinds), mimosas, or Estrella Dam beer.  I gotta say, I didn't have super high expectations, but I was VERY pleasantly surprised.  I loved the pan con tomate, the patatas bravas, and the padron peppers, and the eggs benedict (with serrano ham) and tortillas were actually pretty darn respectable.  We also had bacon (nicely cooked and smoky), lamb meatballs (very flavorful), beet salad, pancakes with fruit, and churros (the low point of the meal - tasty enough, but somehow way too crunchy and oily at the same time).  I stuck with mimosas, but the white and rose sandrias were fine, according to my companions.  Service was attentive, if not overly friendly.  Overall, for the price, I really enjoyed the meal and would definitely go back.  It's not on par with Estadio, but it's a solid option and seemed to be great for groups.  After looking at the a la carte menu, I can definitely see how Boqueria could be a bit too expensive for a non-AYCE meal. 

Dinner here last night for my brother's birthday (he is milking it and we are doing another dinner again tonight).  We ordered a good portion of the winter menu.  We started with patatas bravas, a meat and a cheese tray and sparkling wine.  All were good, not anything new, but executed well.  And a nice portion for the price.  The plates came with a couple pan con tomat, olives, and the cheese tray came with other bread and fruit.

We then had spinach with raisins and pine nuts, which was quite good, the spinach wasn't overcooked and it had great flavor, the mushrooms were also really good cooked perfectly with nice umaminess to them.  We enjoyed the croquettas with beef, they were big croquettas, great taste, but a big portion we could have probably halved one between two people, or ordered a little less overall.  But they were really good.  We also got the salt cod, which even the skeptics at the table really liked.  The one downer of a dish was the one with the Stachowski sausage, chickpeas, fried egg.  There was so much starch that the dish overall lost texture and flavor and there was no acidic pop, which is a shame because I would bet those are great sausages.  I would have also switched to a poached egg so there was more yoke.  Lastly we had the lamb meatballs, which we couldn't eat all of, but they were excellent.  Good flavor, soft texture, nice tomato sauce with cucumber garnish, really a nice flavor profile.  All in all it was a really nice birthday meal for the bro.

Ever go to a place thinking it would be your first time and only realizing upon entering that you'd been there before?

That happened to me here this week.  Maybe that's the literal definition of 'not memorable'?   :wacko:

A friend got a sandwich with jamon and not sure what else.  I didn't try it but did observe the bread-to-fillings ratio maybe a bit high.  He finished half, took the other half to go and seemed to enjoy it.

I ordered three tapas.

The tortilla was fine but nothing special.

The gambas were a nice rendition with a generous number of shrimp and well-seasoned oil/butter.

A lamb skewer tapa was odd. The lamb was chewy/gelatinous or...not sure.

Enjoyed a refreshing, non-alcoholic blood orange lemonade that wasn't too sweet.

I thought it fine overall.  But, reviewing this thread from years past, I think there's definite daylight between this and Estadio with the latter the winner.

Had the Boozy Brunch at Boqueria in SOHO last weekend.  It was really great as 4 shared 4 tapas, Breakfast Paella and dessert.  The Paella alone would have filled me up for days and unlimited Blood Orange Sangria helped me get into the proper spirit to sleep on the train home.

Have to try the Brunch at the Dupont location soon.

We ate at the Penn Quarter location Saturday night, March 23rd.  Still open only for dinner as they said they were working out all the kinks and getting up to speed.  Service was really good and the noise level was good, we were seated towards the front.  Very large and attractive space with tables that can accommodate large groups as well as small intimate boots and tables.

Wine was a bit over priced as I suspect they want to steer folks towards sangria.  Vino Alberdi which I have in my cellar and drink a lot of at 15/bottle was 62 I believe.

Food was really good.  We had lamb meatballs, several order of Brussels Sprouts with Chorizo, Mussels, eggplant spread, great half chicken and a few other dishes which we all good.

Since they felt they are still in soft opening, they brought 2 plats of desert to put us over the top.

Great dinner, will be back.

• Like 1

Ate here again before the Caps game.  These folks are smart as they noticed I was there previously.  The Chicken was great in a crackish kind of way.  My wife mentioned they baste in lard, great flavor and crisp.  Garlic shrimp were good, portion size was great but shrimp were on small size.  Trying to keep my belly from growing we had two vegetable dishes.  The Shishito  peppers are on of my go to, and they were great.

Again-Good fun spot with decent food

They did mention they have started the brunch which includes breakfast paella.  Highly recommended.

Brunch at Penn Quarter location before Caps game.  We  ordered ala carte and all enjoyed the food and service.  Will keep coming back as this is solid food at a good price point and some of the dishes are quite interesting.  The potatoes served with our dishes was like crack. Garlic aioli on top and a harissa like sauce at the bottom of the plate. 

Most interesting is that they have somehow coded me in their system as Mark from Annapolis who loves our chicken.  Who knew I can have brief fame or that Annapolis is in a galaxy far away.  Not quite VIP but that coding gets a rounds of free drink served to us.

• Like 3

I was just there last weekend for a friend's birthday.  Bottomless Brunch.  All the brunch items were good, and they managed to have a few vegetables, so that was appreciated.  The potatoes are crack, especially when I have been limiting my carbs a bit.  It was a good place for a birthday in their private room.  But man the Penn Quarter location is loud when you are outside that room.  I must be getting old. I need to try this chicken obviously.

• Thanks 1

We brunched there last Sunday as part of my birthday celebration.  My 2 sons, 26 and 29, normally don't do bottomless but really enjoyed eating and drinking for 2+ hours.  The 26 year old played college hockey and eats like a monster, even he filled up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Checked out the Boqueria Experience ($60 pp) at the Penn Quarter branch yesterday.  We had a plate of Jamon Iberico and manchego cheese to start.  That was followed by an eggplant yogurt salad (Escalivada).  We had croquets of ham and mushroom, shrimp ajillo, olives, stuff dates wrapped in bacon, crispy  sweet potato (Boniato Con Mojo Verde), and roast chicken (Pollo Rustido).  For dessert, chocolate filled churros.

I really enjoyed the eggplant, which was smoky and well balanced with the mint leaves and yogurt.  The crispy sweet potatoes were marvelous - crispy from frying, probably multiple times to get that crunchy exterior but soft interior.  The shrimps were perfectly tender.  The chicken was well seasoned.  

The food was well executed but nothing super exciting - especially serving half a roast chicken to round out the meal.  Maybe giving us a choice of entree at the end like Komi or just more tapas.

Next time we'll just order a la carte, so I can try their oxtail.

• Like 1

Enjoyed a great dinner at the Penn Quarter branch this past Saturday night.  There we 10 of us and my nephew ordered enough dishes to put us into submission. Half the table were picky eaters and they were happy with a cheese plate, eggplant, anchovies and tomatoes. My side of the table had that as well shrimp, Octopus, Jamon and meatballs.  And we all had plenty of Potatoes Bravas. 

Solid meal and worth the drive in from Annapolis.

• Like 1

A large contingent of the family was in town for my cousin's graduation from Georgetown. The graduation dinner itself was in a private room at the Penn Quarter location. My aunt ordered multiple of several tapas and the paella de mariscos. Favorites were the pan con tomate, croquetas, albondingas, pinxtos morunos, and the paella. Not a bad bite the whole meal and service was very helpful without feeling intrusive.

With eight locations in NYC, DC, Nashville, and Chicago, I was pretty skeptical going in but the food was very very good. Being the only local member of the family, I was given all the leftovers and we happily ate them a few days later after a happy hour that lasted longer than an hour. 

• Like 2