darkstar965

Qualia Coffee, Petworth - Joel Finklestein's Superb Independent Coffee House on Georgia Avenue and Randolph Street

I haven't made it to Qualia despite best intentions a couple of years ago.  But I did have some after dinner Qualia coffee at Dino's Grotto the other night.  What a revelation!!!   I'll often have coffee or espresso following a meal and more often after a meal at a restaurant.  Most of the coffee is completely forgettable.  Even at name restaurants.

The Qualia coffee at Dino's Grotto was heads and heels better than most anything I ever get at any restaurant.  Virtually anything.  More restaurants should do what Dean is doing.  Get Qualia coffee.

Happy to announce that I am deep in the planning stages for our second location. It has been a long road to get here, having just celebrated our 7th anniversary in Petworth, but the time has given me a lot of opportunity to think about the design and approach to the coffee shop. We will continue to do all of our roasting at the current location. The second location will operate purely as a coffee shop, serving coffee in all forms along with a menu of locally sourced baked goods. We won't be doing any food prep on site. However, we will be challenge some of the traditional coffee shop conventions with a more open, more customer service-focused counter design and innovative offerings that highlight the depth and breath of our single-origin coffee sourcing.

The new location will be housed at the Gale, a residential complex in Eckington, NE DC. The neighborhood offers a healthy balance of both commercial and residential buildings which should keep the shop relatively busy throughout the day without ever being packed. Given that we won't be preparing food on site, seating will be minimal and wifi won't be offered (I can't imagine any new coffee shop opening with free wifi in the future).

Joel

• Like 2

Congratulations! And I'm glad to see you staying with a neighborhood focus.

I`d like to give a big shout out to Joel and his dedication to providing great coffee with great customer service. We started using his coffee here at Drift with french presses and the results are really really good. 

Thank you Joel,

• Like 2

On 5/6/2016 at 11:14 AM, RoastMonkey said:

Happy to announce that I am deep in the planning stages for our second location. It has been a long road to get here, having just celebrated our 7th anniversary in Petworth, but the time has given me a lot of opportunity to think about the design and approach to the coffee shop. We will continue to do all of our roasting at the current location. The second location will operate purely as a coffee shop, serving coffee in all forms along with a menu of locally sourced baked goods. We won't be doing any food prep on site. However, we will be challenge some of the traditional coffee shop conventions with a more open, more customer service-focused counter design and innovative offerings that highlight the depth and breath of our single-origin coffee sourcing.

The new location will be housed at the Gale, a residential complex in Eckington, NE DC. The neighborhood offers a healthy balance of both commercial and residential buildings which should keep the shop relatively busy throughout the day without ever being packed. Given that we won't be preparing food on site, seating will be minimal and wifi won't be offered (I can't imagine any new coffee shop opening with free wifi in the future).

Joel

On 5/9/2016 at 8:33 PM, saf said:

Congratulations! And I'm glad to see you staying with a neighborhood focus.

On 5/13/2016 at 2:08 PM, Ferhat Yalcin said:

I`d like to give a big shout out to Joel and his dedication to providing great coffee with great customer service. We started using his coffee here at Drift with french presses and the results are really really good. 

Thank you Joel,

Likewise on the shout-outs to Joel and Qualia. I now drink Qualia coffee nearly every single day, having purchased the Don Rockwell Idiot Kit, and subscribing to Qualia's semimonthly coffee-bean home delivery. I was too lazy for too long, going to Starbucks *way* more often than I should have, until Joel did a chat with us (which I really recommend that everyone read).

Qualia has literally changed the Quality of my life - I drink fantastic, pour-over coffee every single day, made with superior home equipment, and some of the very best coffee beans available. It's not "cheap," but it's less expensive than going to Barfsucks every day, that's for sure.

I want people to subscribe, selfishly, because I don't want Qualia's mail-order program to go away - I need these beans in my life - I'm keen on these beans.

And the atmospheric pressure has dropped about 100 millibars since I began writing this post: We're in for a bitch of a storm!

On 5/13/2016 at 2:08 PM, Ferhat Yalcin said:

Thank you Joel,

I can vouch for that having had coffee at Drift.  Good move Ferhat.  As with Dino's Grotto using Qualia coffee is a customer friendly move!!!!!   Bravo!!!!

Meanwhile I have so much coffee at home, I won't be picking any up from Qualia for a while...but when I'm running low...I'm going to Qualia next.

• Like 1