Subway - A Connecticut Chain with over 35,000 Outlets - Named As Such Because of the Odor it Emits

As for Subway, I can identify the restaurants by smell alone from almost a block away, 100% of the time. There's no other smell on this earth quite like it (although I think it's the bread baking, not the pizza). Does anyone else know what I'm taking about here? I have a keen sense of smell, but it's not *that* sensitive.

With no evidence to back it up, I've always believed it's an artificial smell meant to evoke bread baking, not actual bread baking. Something "cooked up" (ha ha) in a lab somewhere off the New Jersey Turnpike.

Well I am!

Picture how disgusting and greasy the video game control sticks are. And how slippery the bathroom doorknobs are because of all the grease on them.

Now, think where all that grease comes from. Eeeeww-whee!

As for Subway, I can identify the restaurants by smell alone from almost a block away, 100% of the time. There's no other smell on this earth quite like it (although I think it's the bread baking, not the pizza). Does anyone else know what I'm taking about here? I have a keen sense of smell, but it's not *that* sensitive.

It is the bread baking, but it doesn't smell like good bread baking. It gives off a vaguely chemical odor.

As for Subway, I can identify the restaurants by smell alone from almost a block away, 100% of the time. There's no other smell on this earth quite like it

It's the bread.

We were actually talking about this last night, when a Subway commercial came on tv. I think it smells like 7-11.

I like Potbelly too.  

Changing the subject from Potbelly, is anyone besides me able to detect when a Subway is one block away? Whenever I smell a yeast infection (not yeast; a yeast *infection*), I know there's a Subway nearby. I find its odor to be both overwhelming and disgusting.

14 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Changing the subject from Potbelly, is anyone besides me able to detect when a Subway is one block away? Whenever I smell a yeast infection (not yeast; a yeast *infection*), I know there's a Subway nearby. I find its odor to be both overwhelming and disgusting.

What’s Behind The Subway Bread Smell? The fast food chain's bread smell, dissected, by Tom Roston, December 7, 2011, on foodrepublic.com.

• Confused 1