Bar Americain, Giant American Brasserie in Midtown West on W. 52nd St and 7th Ave, Closed Jan, 2018

Just a note of appreciation to Bar Americain for accommodating my family at the bar for lunch on Saturday as we staggered in at different times and for their patience with us for over one and a half hours as we seemed incapable of placing two orders at the same time. The raw bar was a big hit for oysters and multiple orders of the chilled lobster. Particularly interesting was the New England clam and sweet potato chowder. The name is somewhat misleading as it is really less of a traditional chowder and more of a sweet potato soup, and not a particularly thick one. It is wonderfully seasoned, slightly spicy, with a hint of creaminess, and accented with small bits of bacon and some clams in the shell. This was one of the best soups I have had in a while. If you have any kids in tow they will sure to be impressed by the plate for their hamburger with three holes along the side into which are inserted three small bowls containing ketchup, mustard, and Russian dressing. Oh yeah, the hamburgers were not so bad either, at least the pieces I could grab off their plates. Of the five or six times I have been to this place, I think only once did I make a reservation and sit at a table. I usually arrive without reservations and find a spot at the bar where I have found the bartenders to be efficient, friendly, and engaging, whether I am dining alone or with a group. They make it seem easy, which is really a testament to how good they are.

Just a note of appreciation to Bar Americain for accommodating my family at the bar for lunch on Saturday as we staggered in at different times and for their patience with us for over one and a half hours as we seemed incapable of placing two orders at the same time. The raw bar was a big hit for oysters and multiple orders of the chilled lobster. Particularly interesting was the New England clam and sweet potato chowder. The name is somewhat misleading as it is really less of a traditional chowder and more of a sweet potato soup, and not a particularly thick one. It is wonderfully seasoned, slightly spicy, with a hint of creaminess, and accented with small bits of bacon and some clams in the shell. This was one of the best soups I have had in a while. If you have any kids in tow they will sure to be impressed by the plate for their hamburger with three holes along the side into which are inserted three small bowls containing ketchup, mustard, and Russian dressing. Oh yeah, the hamburgers were not so bad either, at least the pieces I could grab off their plates. Of the five or six times I have been to this place, I think only once did I make a reservation and sit at a table. I usually arrive without reservations and find a spot at the bar where I have found the bartenders to be efficient, friendly, and engaging, whether I am dining alone or with a group. They make it seem easy, which is really a testament to how good they are.

Bobby Flay's two flagships, Mesa Grill and Bar Americaine, have always done well at the bar and taking care of customers properly. They still do good in the kitchen too.

I was glad to see that Bar Americain was included in the updated NYC index that Rocks just posted.  A couple of years ago we were in NYC and had reservations at one of the top restaurants in the city.  Unfortunately, we weren't feeling all that well that day and really didn't feel up to going to that place.  So, we cancelled that reservation.  At the same time, we needed to eat.  Bar Americain was literally one or two blocks from our hotel and, while I had reservations about eating at a TV-star's restaurant, we went.  It turned out to be great!  I no longer remember the details of the food, but I do still remember that we thoroughly enjoyed the experience (despite our extreme fatigue).  The ambience, the food, and the service were all top-notch.  We still remember it fondly and would not hesitate to return if circumstances lead us there.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2014 at 1:28 PM, LauraB said:

I was glad to see that Bar Americain was included in the updated NYC index that Rocks just posted.  A couple of years ago we were in NYC and had reservations at one of the top restaurants in the city.  Unfortunately, we weren't feeling all that well that day and really didn't feel up to going to that place.  So, we cancelled that reservation.  At the same time, we needed to eat.  Bar Americain was literally one or two blocks from our hotel and, while I had reservations about eating at a TV-star's restaurant, we went.  It turned out to be great!  I no longer remember the details of the food, but I do still remember that we thoroughly enjoyed the experience (despite our extreme fatigue).  The ambience, the food, and the service were all top-notch.  We still remember it fondly and would not hesitate to return if circumstances lead us there.

Thanks, Laura. I almost always recommend "Bar Americain" to people asking for last-minute Times Square reservations for groups of disparate people, and have yet to come up short. A word of advice, however: please do not wait until the last day to nab a reservation.