In Praise Of Bartenders

brendanc

I had the privilege of sitting with a veritable “Murderers Row” of DC bartenders last night – I will not name them as it is not my place to disclose the affairs of others. At one point, one of the members of our happy band of drink makers quipped “of the ten bartenders in DC that know how to make a proper sazerac, six are in this room and four of us aren’t behind a bar any more.” While there was certainly a touch of hyperbole in his statement, it wasn’t that far from the truth. We then set about lamenting the state of the bartending profession in DC.

Next time you come across a truly great bartender, please give him or her a knowing smile when you thank them for a job well done. There certainly aren’t enough of them.

The truth gets sadder. Krishna, of Aroma fame, is leaving the city.

We will all miss his talent, charisma and potent libations.

Good luck to ya, Krishna. You definitely raised the bar.

The truth gets sadder. Krishna, of Aroma fame, is leaving the city.

We will all miss his talent, charisma and potent libations.

Good luck to ya, Krishna. You definitely raised the bar.

Sad news indeed. Krishna introduced me to my first Grasshopper. You never forget your 1st.

Where's he going? I might just have to take up stalking?

I wanted to commend the weekday bartender at Me Jana.  I went there the other day to try out kibbeh nayeh a dish entirely foreign to me.  (Its sort of Middle Eastern steak tartare)    Kasha, the bartender, walked me through different ways to eat it and found a perfect solution that worked for me.   Terrific service.

• Like 1

Sad to report that the region lost what I considered one of it's technically best bartenders, Michael  who worked behind the rail at Carmines and several other places.

He was recruited to work there by a manager of his at a prior restaurant.  A different manager described him as an 11 on a scale of 1-10, and co- workers appreciated and learned from him.  He was great at masterfully handling and satisfying a large crowd, while also recognizing every regular.

Florida just got a winner.

• Like 1