dr.com 2012 Autumn Picnic, Sunday, October 28, noon-6pm, Fort Hunt Park Area C-2

Pat

Oh, and don't skip that toasting step. I tried it without once and it just didn't taste as good. And using a rice cooker is a good idea. Overcooked millet is...ugh, but a rice cooker makes it pretty simple to cook up well.

Interesting. I've had the best luck with quinoa in the rice cooker on the "quick" setting. Did you use the plain rice setting?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I adapted this recipe for the Shrimp and Edamame Succotash.

The only substantial change I made was to cook the veggies and shrimp separately in the bacon fat, rather than just steaming the shrimp on top of the mostly cooked veggies. Then let them both come to room temperature, drained most of the liquid, cut the shrimp, and combined them and refrigerated for an hour.

The lentil and beet salad is off a recipe card in my box, so I can't credit the original source.

Lentils cooked with a bay leaf and garlic clove (I cooked them in the rice cooker, 1 cup lentils to 2.25 cups water)

Beets, roasted and diced. For one cup of raw lentils, maybe a cup and a half of diced beets.

Dressing:

1 minced shallot (I used about half a big, sweet onion)

1 tsp or so Dijon

about 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup olive oil

salt and pepper

Pour the hot lentils into the dressing to cook the onion a little, then stir in the diced beets. Finally, add about a tablespoon of minced, fresh tarragon after things have cooled off a little. The flavors get better if you wait a while, and it keeps nicely for several days.