Wahoo

DonRocks

I had to stop by the Apple store (because, of course, every single one of my power cords had frayed to the point of failure). I was going to go to Sushi Rock, where I've still never been, but instead went to Whole Foods.

They had nice looking Wahoo for $14.99, and I bought about 1 1/3 pounds, some good olive oil from Northeastern Spain (organic, first-press, the only Spanish oil I found in the entire store, purchased to honor Gerry Dawes).

The fishmonger cheerfully trimmed the skin from my wahoo (get your mind out of the gutter), and I took my $19 purchase home and used about 3/4 of it for a hybrid sashimi-carpaccio lunch - I cut it too thick for it to be considered carpaccio; and used olive oil and sel de mer for seasoning, so it can't be considered sashimi either.

What a wonderful lunch this was - nothing more than cut-up, raw wahoo, with good olive oil and salt. I'm extremely full without having that gross "stuffed" feeling.

Whole Foods has sustainability ratings displayed for all their fish, and wild wahoo is rated green. If you like mackerel (not marinated mackerel; just mackerel), you'll perhaps like wahoo even more because while the two are similar in nature, wahoo is slightly more delicate and less assertive. It is a wonderful fish for sashimi.

I could have gone somewhere and spent $15, gotten about 1/3 as much sashimi that would have been at a lower quality (which actually is exactly what I did yesterday at Tachibana), or I could have done this - a good call, for sure. People on this website, especially Zora, are inspiring me to become a more proficient home cook, and to correct my one major flaw as a restaurant critic (well, I guess two if you consider that I've never worked in a restaurant). The sad truth is that even a pathetic hack like me can put forth better plates of food than 90% of all restaurants.

NB - on Friday, Whole Foods Clarendon is having a one-day sale on sockeye (I think it's sockeye) salmon, discounted from $12.99 to $7.99 a pound.

Following your lead, we went out to Bestway, & got fish, albeit a small amount & cheap-only 2 of us like fish, so Spanish mackerel, 3.99/lb & mullet, 1.99/lb, (I grew up near Swansboro, NC, home of the Mullet Festival)- Lizzy & I are having salt-broiled mackerel, w/ rice & broccoli (& Takis for Lizzy, since we were at Bestway). It's good, but the house smells like fish....

Following your lead, we went out to Bestway, & got fish, albeit a small amount & cheap-only 2 of us like fish, so Spanish mackerel, 3.99/lb & mullet, 1.99/lb, (I grew up near Swansboro, NC, home of the Mullet Festival)- Lizzy & I are having salt-broiled mackerel, w/ rice & broccoli (& Takis for Lizzy, since we were at Bestway). It's good, but the house smells like fish....

Unfortunately, Swansboro's "Mullet Festival" has little to do with fish.

It's not a "do"; it's a "don't."

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to see if Whole Foods Alexandria has it. There's a reason why wahoo is called 'ono' in Hawaiian ('Good to eat') and why people in Cabo San Lucas are thrilled to catch it. Don't overcook it or it will be really dry.