Rappahannock River Oysters, a Virginia Oyster Wholesaler with Several Area Restaurants

Rappahannock River Oyster (RRO) is totally overdue for its own topic here on dr.com. Of course, that assumes it doesn't already have a topic on here somewhere? I only found scattered mentions in other topics like for Union Market or under shopping as an oyster source.

Bet many of you didn't know:

- RRO dates all the way back to 1899 and is still owned by the same family?

- Rappahannock has an amazing 8-10 seat shack in Topping, VA by the bay with super, interesting and incredibly fresh and local seafood. Has anyone been?

- They just opened up their latest and most grand restaurant in Richmond at 320 East Grace St.?

- That said restaurant managed to pry open (pun intended) the Columbia Room enough to get bartender Katie Nelson to consult on a drink menu paired with RRO's seafood?

- That the Croxton cousins, the owners, plan to open more places to slurp, eat and drink in/around DC/VA?

- That these guys really are among those leading the effort to restore the Chesapeake oyster industry and claw back market share from those pesky west coasters, canadians, kiwis and gulf coast types?

- That you don't have to go all the way to Topping (or Richmond) to slurp some fine oysters since they're up and running at Union Market (okay, most already know that :P )

I've now eaten my way through most of the menu at the very popular RRO Bar at Union Market. Wonderful oysters whether raw or grilled. I especially like the Stingrays and Rappahannock River oysters. Raw oysters sell for $2 each. Likewise on the tasty clams. Oh, and that oyster chowder which I think is made with Olde Salts (one of the four varieties they cultivate)! And, the more substantial meals:

- the crab cake is both ample and packed with blue crab (served with a very nice celeriac salad); perfect for lunch ($14)
- wonderful, large, sweet sea scallops with a healthy peppery arugula salad ($14)
- an interesting and satisfying "lamb and clams" dish with sofrito, fingerlings and one other ingredient I'm forgetting. ($14)

The bar at Union Market also has a short but nice wine list and friendly servers. Need to get a report from someone on the new Richmond outpost as soon as a rockwellian makes it there. Maybe it'll be me...but probably not knowing how far-ranging dr members are. Nothing stays unreported on long around here.

Finally,

An interesting Food & Wine article about the company and it's history written by Tom Colicchio

Washingtonian's coverage of the new Richmond restaurant

RRO's nicely done website

• Like 3

Since both my parents (who live in Kilmarnock) and in-laws (have a house in Urbanna, VA) its an easy slide to go to Locklies and enjoy the oysters. A great setting and really cool people, do the real thing, head there and enjoy. Great part of the state that once thrived through the oyster industry. I remember spending time down there in the early 80's and enjoyed watching the oysters boats coming in and out of the Rap River and Bay.

The bar at Union Market is one of my favorite places to head for lunch on a weekend. The raw oysters are fantastic, and as a result I seldom make it past them and the clams on the menu. That said, I agree completely on the lambs and clams, which makes a wonderful lunch. The oyster chowder is smokey and delicious, and when they have scallops on special they are also wonderful. Pick up some bread or rolls from the bakery around the corner to really set the meal off.

JP, formerly of Columbia Room, mixes up some delicious cocktails there, they have a nice, if small, selection of local draft beers. And they have Bodegas Hidalgo La Gitana Manzanilla sherry available by the glass, which pairs wonderfully with the oysters.

I second the positive opinions here. I've only had the raw oysters, but they were very good--far better than I expected since I'm a bit of PNW chauvinist when it comes to oysters and shy away from the Virginias. But all of them (Stingrays, Rappahannocks and Old salts) were excellent.

This place would be the perfect starter if more restaurants were closer to it. Not sure if the oysters are to Don's tastes, but everyone who dines there seems to love it.

I feel that DC's first generation of craft bartenders (from 6 years ago) have by and large moved to bigger roles away from slinging drinks. JP Fetherston is one of the few somewhat newer bartenders who both designs and executes his own drinks, and I enjoy sipping thru his menu. I particularly like his aperitifs and highballs, they fit the ambience nicely.

Back to RRO Bar, I'm a fan, but their menu slogan of "Swallow the Leader" is a bit too Lewinsky-ish for my tastes. Unquestionably they are Union Market's anchor right now, it's fun to celebrity watch from their bar or soak in a warm afternoon from a patio table.

This place would be the perfect starter if more restaurants were closer to it. Not sure if the oysters are to Don's tastes, but everyone who dines there seems to love it.

I suspect their original oyster, the Rappahannock River (the one on top) with its lower salinity, would be A-OK with me (I'm just very sensitive to briny oysters where I'm reminded of raft wipeouts at Ocean City where a wave would knock me into a triple-flip, and I'd end up washed ashore with sand in my bathing suit, and a mouthful of ocean water). I definitely don't want the taste of the ocean; I want the taste of the oyster. I still haven't been to Rappahannock Oyster Bar, but it's definitely on my plate.

This place would be the perfect starter if more restaurants were closer to it.

Less than a mile from the market to Toki Underground. Now that is a Friday afternoon/evening! One that I might be experiencing soon. Also an easy 10 minute stroll from Union Market to Boundary Road.

Less than a mile from the market to Toki Underground. Now that is a Friday afternoon/evening! One that I might be experiencing soon. Also an easy 10 minute stroll from Union Market to Boundary Road.

So you could put your name in at Toki, walk over to Union Market, have a bunch of oysters, then over to Boundary Road, have a drink and an appetizer, then walk back to Toki, and still have to wait for your table.

• Like 2

My fiance and I ventured out to their place in Topping this summer and had a great time. She was living in Fredericksburg then (and previously lived in Tappahannock, so was familiar with the area), so it was a pretty easy drive. the setting out there on the river is fantastic and the food is great. of course we got several dozen of their fine oysters, but the cooked dishes are great as well. she got seared scallops and polenta while I got a delicious Portuguese-style clam and lamb sausage stew, which was tomato based and had a nice level of spice. it was also the first place I had the Flying Dog Pearl Necklace oyster stout, which is brewed with their oysters, and proeeds go to save the bay. I've since seen it several more places around town (including in Flying Dog sampler 12 packs), so I don't know if it's getting a wider release or if I just never noticed it before.

definitely would recommend the trip out here, but I haven't been to their place at Union Market, so maybe you're just as good staying in town. I live on the Hill pretty close to the market, so I need to make it out there soon.

• Like 1

So you could put your name in at Toki, walk over to Union Market, have a bunch of oysters, then over to Boundary Road, have a drink and an appetizer, then walk back to Toki, and still have to wait for your table.

More than a mere "like," I'd submit the above would have been brilliant had it not ended on the sour note of still being thwarted by Toki hype. A back alley way to avoid waiting at Toki--which involves RRO oysters (whether higher or lower salinity). Now that'd be the kind of big value-added insight only obtainable on donrockwell.com. :P

My fiance and I ventured out to their place in Topping this summer and had a great time. She was living in Fredericksburg then (and previously lived in Tappahannock, so was familiar with the area), so it was a pretty easy drive. the setting out there on the river is fantastic and the food is great. of course we got several dozen of their fine oysters, but the cooked dishes are great as well. she got seared scallops and polenta while I got a delicious Portuguese-style clam and lamb sausage stew, which was tomato based and had a nice level of spice. it was also the first place I had the Flying Dog Pearl Necklace oyster stout, which is brewed with their oysters, and proeeds go to save the bay. I've since seen it several more places around town (including in Flying Dog sampler 12 packs), so I don't know if it's getting a wider release or if I just never noticed it before.

definitely would recommend the trip out here, but I haven't been to their place at Union Market, so maybe you're just as good staying in town. I live on the Hill pretty close to the market, so I need to make it out there soon.

Topping is a fab trip on a nice day. The Union Market outpost is wonderful (Rocks, you must go soon) but it's a totally different thing with some shared items on menu. The "clam and lamb sausage stew" is similar to what they're calling "lamb and clams" at UM though the former is more substantial.

I suspect their original oyster, the Rappahannock River (the one on top) with its lower salinity, would be A-OK with me (I'm just very sensitive to briny oysters where I'm reminded of raft wipeouts at Ocean City where a wave would knock me into a triple-flip, and I'd end up washed ashore with sand in my bathing suit, and a mouthful of ocean water). I definitely don't want the taste of the ocean; I want the taste of the oyster. I still haven't been to Rappahannock Oyster Bar, but it's definitely on my plate.

Even if you like the oysters, you'll probably not enjoy the hoppy beers offered on draft. The peppercorn saison is nice though. I'm not familiar with the wines on the menu, but if JP did Rogue 24's list then I'm sure this is solid as well.

If oysters are a great starter, then Righteous Cheese is a great closer. Cheese and wine flights are offered at the bar. The Bull Hill (if any is left) sets a new standard for me in dairy complexity. UM is not a one-trick pony.

Even if you like the oysters, you'll probably not enjoy the hoppy beers offered on draft. The peppercorn saison is nice though. I'm not familiar with the wines on the menu, but if JP did Rogue 24's list then I'm sure this is solid as well.

If oysters are a great starter, then Righteous Cheese is a great closer. Cheese and wine flights are offered at the bar. The Bull Hill (if any is left) sets a new standard for me in dairy complexity. UM is not a one-trick pony.

Oooph, briny oysters and hoppy beers doth not a happy DonRocketh make. Does Rappahannock serve Muscadets?

And even if they don't, anything LittleWing does is right by me. What a friend we have in cheeses.

• Like 1

Oooph, briny oysters and hoppy beers doth not a happy DonRocketh make. Does Rappahannock serve Muscadets?

And even if they don't, anything LittleWing does is right by me. What a friend we have in cheeses.

Yes on Muscadet. Or, at least they had one on menu last week that I had and enjoyed; wish I could tell you its provenance but I can't recall.

I can't imagine you'd think the mainstay RR Oyster too briny. I like medium brine. Found that one delicious but absolutely low on the salinity.

To be clear, at least from my own view, though I'm a huge fan of these guys, I don't want to convey that heading to the oyster bar at UM is some kind of life changing experience. I love it because the food is honest, very flavorful, simple, fairly priced/good value and, as important as anything, done by two guys who are clearly in this for the right reasons doing it in the right way. The UM menu is very limited (Richmond is more a proper restaurant). Four or five hot dishes. Three raw oyster choices. Totally and unequivocally worth going (or frequenting as I've been doing) but no oyster here will be in the same galaxy as what Fabio Trabocchi does with bivalves.

+1 on Righteous. Along with the cheeses, they have a pressed date and almond treat from Spain by the register which is a wonderful, healthy, sweet treat without added sugar.

Don't forget Peregrine is also at UM. I think I like the espresso I've been getting at The Coffee Bar better but Peregrine is right at the top of the local market for consistency in quality and technique. Just wish they'd broaden beyond only representing Counter Culture.

Yes on Muscadet. Or, at least they had one on menu last week that I had and enjoyed; wish I could tell you its provenance but I can't recall.

I can't imagine you'd think the mainstay RR Oyster too briny. I like medium brine. Found that one delicious but absolutely low on the salinity.

I think RR would appeal to Don -- I'm a briny type (Wellfleets!) and actually find most of their varieties a little on the bland side. I do like the Olde Salts, though.

Wonder if they'll ever serve them with a crisp white Bordeaux. Or maybe just a flute of something effervescent.

And Action.....Ok, so made the trip to Richmond and realized just how long it had been since I've been there. I remember going there with my Grandmother to shop at Thalheimers and get some of their famous cake...yum. Had made a reservation to be on the safe side for 2:30, but upon enterning, there were several open tables and only 2 people at the bar. Got a parking space just around the corner and really noticed just how charming yet barren that whole are is. It's definitly going to be a long revitilization, within the 10 block area. I did notice Doug Jemal owns a few propertys down there as well, so who knows.

The space used to be a luggage shop in its glory days, and is sparsely decorated with reclaimed wood. other wise the space is uber industrial, with wood tables and a stone bar. Open kitvhen in the back, staffed by heavily bearded men :o Its def a hipster central vibe and the bartender has more than the required amount of tattoos on display whilst flipping his knife and torching up cocktails in progress. While we were dining, a pick up pulled up and out got a family that then unloaded a cord or two of wood that the place uses in their oven....then thay sat at the bar and dined..could be the owners..not sure.

I started off with a pretty darn good, fresh squeezed Bloody mary that had an orange color to it...I had 4 :ph34r: ..Then proceeded to order the following:

12 oysters on the half shell..3 differnet types $24

Local Fluke Ceviche or Servich as TS likes to say...$10

Trout caviar and American Sturgeon Caviar...$10 and $30 per 1/2 oz

Barcat Oyster chowder with Benton bacon...$7

Steamed Carolina SHrimp....$12 1/2 pound

Grilled Pork Belly Sandwich..$14

total for me and my buddy was $190 plus tip

All in all, the food was excellent and the service was crisp and I like the feel of the place. WOuld def go back and look forward to dining there again

And Action.....Ok, so made the trip to Richmond and realized just how long it had been since I've been there. I remember going there with my Grandmother to shop at Thalheimers and get some of their famous cake...yum. Had made a reservation to be on the safe side for 2:30, but upon enterning, there were several open tables and only 2 people at the bar. Got a parking space just around the corner and really noticed just how charming yet barren that whole are is. It's definitly going to be a long revitilization, within the 10 block area. I did notice Doug Jemal owns a few propertys down there as well, so who knows.

The space used to be a luggage shop in its glory days, and is sparsely decorated with reclaimed wood. other wise the space is uber industrial, with wood tables and a stone bar. Open kitvhen in the back, staffed by heavily bearded men :o Its def a hipster central vibe and the bartender has more than the required amount of tattoos on display whilst flipping his knife and torching up cocktails in progress. While we were dining, a pick up pulled up and out got a family that then unloaded a cord or two of wood that the place uses in their oven....then thay sat at the bar and dined..could be the owners..not sure.

I started off with a pretty darn good, fresh squeezed Bloody mary that had an orange color to it...I had 4 :ph34r: ..Then proceeded to order the following:

12 oysters on the half shell..3 differnet types $24

Local Fluke Ceviche or Servich as TS likes to say...$10

Trout caviar and American Sturgeon Caviar...$10 and $30 per 1/2 oz

Barcat Oyster chowder with Benton bacon...$7

Steamed Carolina SHrimp....$12 1/2 pound

Grilled Pork Belly Sandwich..$14

total for me and my buddy was $190 plus tip

All in all, the food was excellent and the service was crisp and I like the feel of the place. WOuld def go back and look forward to dining there again

Interesting--thanks much for the report. I especially liked the anecdote about the wood! Good sign to be sure. Smoked and wood-stoked goodness. Your bottom line seemed high but guessing you and your buddy goosed it with the caviar and what, one or two drinks? :D

Was going to ask how extensive is the menu is and how far it ranges culinarily but finally found it (their online presence is a bit scattered without mention of Richmond or it's menu at the main RRO site.) Looks like items like the Bearcat Chowder and, of course the 3-4 oyster varieties are standard across all three locations. The restaurant menu posted here does range further as expected including things like fresh-grilled fish, grouper, and a hangar steak but, all told, it's still a fairly limited menu. Maybe a good thing though.

Does anyone know if you can purchase raw oysters/clams (to cook at home) from the Rappahannock counter at Union Market?

I recall they sold them for Thanksgiving. I'm sure they would work with you if you called.

One more thing about RRO at Union Market. It's pretty much all communal dining there (I guess there are some stray tables) so be prepared to talk to strangers. I love that aspect, the food and drink is very good, the staff is unpretentious in tshirts and jeans, and the clientele is more relaxed than anywhere else I can think of. To me, it's about being served snacks and drinks whose quality are a given, and one can be free to focus on other aspects of the communal dining experience.

I recall they sold them for Thanksgiving. I'm sure they would work with you if you called.

One more thing about RRO at Union Market. It's pretty much all communal dining there (I guess there are some stray tables) so be prepared to talk to strangers. I love that aspect, the food and drink is very good, the staff is unpretentious in thirsts and jeans, and the clientele is more relaxed than anywhere else I can think of. To me, it's about being served snacks and drinks whose quality are a given, and one can be free to focus on other aspects of the communal dining experience.

Totally agree with DaRiv on the communal dining. Would just add that if you do want a private table at RRO UM, you can just take one nearby along the south wall/window. Those aren't RRO tables but RRO servers will serve there. Did that recently.

They do serve a Muscadet by the glass. It was my choice alongside the raw and grilled oysters I had this past Saturday and thought it's minerality made it a nice pairing.

I think RR would appeal to Don -- I'm a briny type (Wellfleets!) and actually find most of their varieties a little on the bland side. I do like the Olde Salts, though.

Wonder if they'll ever serve them with a crisp white Bordeaux. Or maybe just a flute of something effervescent.

They have quite a few choices (3-5 if I'm remembering correctly) of sparkling wines by the glass.

My two cents - Saturday was my second trip to Union Market. The first, a stop before the coffee tasting didn't allow me time to try RRO out so this time I was pleased to be able to. I had originally thought I would stick to grilled oysters as I have tried raw oysters enough times (including a tasting at one of the well known seafood spots in Boston of the "least briny" oysters the bartender could recommend, generally NW sourced) that I had finally sworn them off. I just didn't enjoy them and given the cost, didn't see the point in continuing to try and fail. However, I had one on my birthday at Corner BYOB in Hampden that did not disgust me so when the server said that RRO's own oysters were sweet and buttery and not briny at all, I added one to my friend's order. And lo and behold, I actually enjoyed it. Not so much that I would necessarily order large quantities of them, especially when I enjoyed the grilled SO much (incidentally, the grilled are their own as well), but I was happy to finally discover an oyster whose brininess did not turn me off entirely.

So Don, the bottom line, go, you will enjoy these. ;)

I'm sorry that we were too full from having already eaten a smoked bluefish & cream cheese bagel and a bacon & cheddar knish to order more. The chowder is high on my list, along with the tuna tartare and the scallops. I think I will attempt to get back there soon and have more of a meal here and hopefully try a cocktail at that time. They do seem to have a nice, if somewhat concise selection of drinks (although I wondered about the Tarara viognier - I can't remember the specifics of that wine, but I so far have not met a Tarara wine that I liked).

My wife didn't love the crabcrake the first time she ordered it at Rappahannock River Oysters, which was probably shortly after they opened. Given how much we enjoy other things on the menu, that was enough to prevent us from giving it another shot. Until yesterday, that is, when it looked so good on another diner's plate that we added one to our order. The crabcake here is delicious. Almost entirely crab, nicely seasoned and cooked, one of the finest I've ever had. I strongly recommend it.

I love RR Oysters for my post-work snack (or mid-work snack...) - definitely the Rappahanocks & Witchducks (or Stingrays, depending on which they have). Like Choirgirl says, they're much more buttery and less briny than the Olde Salts. Also love the tuna tartar & agree with DCDuck about the crabcake! The food here is always improving and the staff is great - particularly both JPs.

They definitely do oysters retail and will shuck them for you or let you do your own. I'd recommend calling ahead if its on the weekend, otherwise you might be waiting for a while.

I don't get on the interwebs much these days so I just saw these posts now, but thanks for the Righteous Cheese love. Please say hi next time you're in the market y'all!

Had been wanting to head back to Union Market for a while now and decided on a whim to stay and have lunch at Rappahannock after doing my shopping. I started with four of the grilled Rappahannock oysters and a glass of Muscadet since I enjoyed both so much last time. I found a couple of the oysters a bit tough to get out of the shell, but they were especially tasty with the seaweed compound butter they were serving them with this time.

I had hoped to have the Copia tartare next (the Copia is farmed in Southern Florida, making it a good choice for anyone who pays attention to the Seafood Watch kind of stuff), but they were sadly sold out. I ordered the crab and avocado salad with tomato consomme instead expecting to be slightly disappointed since I really had the tartare in my head (the server immediately apologized that he hadn't already told me they were out when I asked about the Copia), but I was not:

IMAG3280.jpg

This dish was impeccable, a perfect balance of sweetness from the crab, creaminess from the avocado and acidity from the tomato. I even noticed that the few cherry tomato halves were peeled, nice attention to detail. I still had 1/2 of my glass of Muscadet, which I enjoyed with this dish as well.

Feeling a bit gluttonous, I decided to splurge and have one more dish - the scallops with mushroom soil, potato gratin, grapefruit gastrique, and watercress (and something crispy that I believe may have been crispy shallots, but my memory fails me):

IMAG3281.jpg

Another amazing dish. Scallops perfectly cooked, potato gratin rich and creamy with crispy edges, earthy flavor from the mushroom soil and a nice balance from the greens. I asked them to recommend a wine pairing and found the white rioja they suggested to be a perfect match (once it warmed up a bit in the glass).

This place is not inexpensive (my bill was $55 after tax), but the crab and scallop dishes were two of the best plates I've had in some time in our area - there was honestly nothing to nitpick in either dish and I would happily eat either of them again right now. They seem to be continuously busy so it takes a bit of time for each plate to come out, but service is spot on, attentive without being obtrusive and while the wines don't seem to change frequently, they have good choices for the food they serve. Food is also beautifully plated. Really a huge fan of this place.

• Like 1

Feeling a bit gluttonous, I decided to splurge and have one more dish - the scallops with mushroom soil, potato gratin, grapefruit gastrique, and watercress (and something crispy that I believe may have been crispy shallots, but my memory fails me):

Another amazing dish. Scallops perfectly cooked, potato gratin rich and creamy with crispy edges, earthy flavor from the mushroom soil and a nice balance from the greens. I asked them to recommend a wine pairing and found the white rioja they suggested to be a perfect match (once it warmed up a bit in the glass).

Really a huge fan of this place.

We are huge fans of this place as well.  A visit to Union Market for us always includes a meal at Rappahannock.  We were there for a late lunch yesterday.  On our way back from an errand near Baltimore we realized that we would be driving right past Union Market on the way home and, well, we couldn't say no.  We started with a plate of Rappahannock oysters (the least briny), dressed with a bit of horseradish and vinegar, they were great.  My husband thought he didn't like oysters until we discovered Rappahannock; now he can't get enough.  We both had the seared scallops as described above by Choirgirl.  They were great, as usual.  This is a different preparation than we've had in the past.  This was 2 scallops plus the potato squares.  Previously there were 3 scallops.  The potato was a new addition for us and we both enjoyed it. But it felt a bit pricy at $14 for 2 scallops plus a bit of potato.  I also had a bloody mary -- nicely spicy, in a different way than the usual -- more smoky.  They offer bloody marys with your choice of vodka, gin, tequila and one other spirit that escapes me at the moment.  Sitting at the bar watching the staff in perpetual motion is entertaining, especially when the outside doors are open and it's a gorgeous day and you feel almost like you're sitting outside.

• Like 1

If you ever get the chance do the drive to Topping, VA. Its right at the bridge, well short drive from the bridge that takes you either up to Urbanna in Middlesex County( Middle Pennisula), or Kilmarnock in Lancaster County(Northern Neck). A beautiful part of the state.

We've been here a few times and been happy with the food and service. I tend to avoid beers mainly because I get filled up so quickly with their deliciousness. They do have decent wines available, so I'm happy. We often end up here if we finish shopping and are still otherwise hungy, or waiting on something (knives getting sharpened, or waiting on a large order at the butcher). Will be back for sure.

Went to their Richmond, VA location before seeing First Aid Kit at The National.  I like their outpost in Union Market, but I love their Richmond location. A notch or three rungs up. Really good meal.

Spice roasted carrot salad - nice dish but probably the weakest of the night of really good dishes

post-384-0-17562600-1414856535_thumb.jpg

Wood grilled carolina shrimp - dish of the night, truly.

post-384-0-09922600-1414856742_thumb.jpg

Olive oil poached tuna - great ingredients and executed well

post-384-0-43695500-1414856760_thumb.jpg

Wood grilled carolina mountain trout - Excellent, nice skin underneath there

post-384-0-71701500-1414856777_thumb.jpg

Crepe Cake - mmmmmm

post-384-0-55199800-1414856791_thumb.jpg

Had a nice panna cotta too. Drinks were good and one even had a funky ice cube in it. I tend to be gravitating to rye and bourbon based drinks, ideally with a variety of bitters, while my wife is gravitating to gin based drinks and their floral bits. These folks do a good job.  Decent wine list, got a really good sancerre to pair with the dinner. Some of the wines are quite overpriced, while others are quite reasonable.

I would totally come back here, and it makes we want to head back to the Union Market outpost soon to see if that location has kicked up a notch as well.  

• Like 3

... Unquestionably they are Union Market's anchor right now, it's fun to celebrity watch from their bar or soak in a warm afternoon from a patio table.

Probably still true but this is changing now, a couple of years later, as one might expect.  Aside from the full-service restaurant there now which I haven't tried, you can get pretty amazing lunches from Fiona at District Fishwife or from Andrew Evans at the BBQ Joint too.

I suspect their original oyster, the Rappahannock River (the one on top) with its lower salinity, would be A-OK with me (I'm just very sensitive to briny oysters where I'm reminded of raft wipeouts at Ocean City where a wave would knock me into a triple-flip, and I'd end up washed ashore with sand in my bathing suit, and a mouthful of ocean water). I definitely don't want the taste of the ocean; I want the taste of the oyster. I still haven't been to Rappahannock Oyster Bar, but it's definitely on my plate.

Have you had a chance to visit yet, Don?  Guessing so given how popular UM has become with so many great food purveyors.

I'm at RRO @ UM semi regularly though have a much tougher time now deciding where to have lunch with District Fishwife and BBQ Joint (and the Maketto popup to a lesser extent since more snacks).  Last week, was here for lunch and posting mostly because I had a new dish and these guys don't normally change the menu very much.  The new dish (perfect for WDID?, eh?), available most every day but not on the printed menu yet, is an excellent oyster po' boy.  I'm not expert on New Orleans cuisine to comment on the sandwich's authenticity but I can report it was really good.  Good-quality french bread whose provenance I didn't ask about, thin sliced green onion, a delicious and savory remoulade and just a few ultra thin jalapeno bits adding some heat but very much in a lesser supporting role to the starring flavors of delicately friend oyster and the remoulade.  The chips are hand-cut very thin and were unusually good.  Big recommend and now curious to do a po'boy crawl of sorts to compare.

• Like 1

Wife and I shared the red snapper tartare here (Union Market) and the stand-by crab cake today. The red snapper was excellent, with a muted yet effective acidity that I much prefer to the ceviche we shared last week at Ocopa. The crab cake was actually a bit meh, not from quality of ingredients but we felt could have spent a few more minutes frying in the pan for texture. Still, a great spot that has stayed remarkably consistent.

Walking around Union Market, MichaelBDC and I stopped here for a later afternoon snack. We were just in time for happy hour (4pm-7pm). I love dollar oysters and Rappahannock River Oyster was offering four different oysters that day (from mildest to briniest: Rappahanock River, Stingray, Snow Hill, and Olde Salts). I got a selection of three of each and given my preference for oysters on the briny side, really loved the Snow Hill and Olde Salts. Unfortunately, I did find some shell pieces and grit in more than a couple of oysters. MichaelBDC had the tuna and beet tartare, which he really enjoyed after a few dashes of salt. I washed down my oysters with a few glasses of an adequate vinho verde ($4 a glass) while MichaelBDC stuck with one happy hour beer. We go to Union Market a lot and after many stops at other places, I'm glad we were finally able to check out RRO. 

• Like 1

Happy hour oysters here are always a no-brainer, but I am pleased to have tried the baked clams here instead of a second round of oysters. 5 for $10, these olde salt clams are stuffed with Thai sausage, a coconut reduction, and a fried basil gremolata.  Wow. Reminds me when my grandma introduced me to Oysters Rockafeller, so it hit a note for me. 

• Like 4

I probably should write about this place  more in depth at some point. We probably eat here three times a month, always at lunch. Absolutely love it. The crab cake is always a winner, I love their oysters, and they typically have one or two raw fish preparations that are always good. And those baked clams are a star, and this is a reminder that I need to order them next time I'm there (probably Sunday). 

• Like 6

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:34 PM, Mark Dedrick said:

I probably should write about this place  more in depth at some point. We probably eat here three times a month, always at lunch. Absolutely love it. The crab cake is always a winner, I love their oysters, and they typically have one or two raw fish preparations that are always good. And those baked clams are a star, and this is a reminder that I need to order them next time I'm there (probably Sunday). 

I absolutely agree.  We eat here multiple times a month and love it.  IMHO, one of the most underrated spots around.  I love the baked claims, the crab cake, the smoked salmon, and just about every other seafood preparation here. 

we routinely grab a table at the union market location for brunch with friends (including their now 22-month-old daughter), ordering drinks and a few dishes while someone goes on an expedition to get biscuits/coffee/smoked mussels/etc. from the various other stalls.  (i don't recall whether someone has mentioned this upthread, but rappahannock is cool with bringing in outside food/drink so long as you're also ordering from their menu, making this a table service oasis from which to enjoy the entire market experience.)  staff couldn't be nicer (especially given the messy toddler and detritus from the food we get from other stalls).  

oyster-loving friends are always happy with their offerings and i'm a big fan of the cured salmon -- a lighter, more vegi-inclusive way to get my brunch salmon fix than a bagel -- and various raw fish dishes.  (we learned that toddler loves salty roe when she started picking the salmon roe off of the salmon plate!)  i didn't love the crabcake the one time i had it, finding it underseasoned and just kind of okay for a place specializing in seafood.  

for me, the cocktails are the surprising star.  it's a long list of excellent, classic-leaning cocktails, as well as a few creative mocktails for the preggers/nondrinking friends. 

• Like 3

The missus and I enjoyed a strolling progressive meal through Richmond yesterday, culminating in the destruction of 3 dozen oysters at Rappahannock. Along with a bottle of muscadet, these oysters were an excellent finale for a fun walk in a beautiful part of downtown Richmond.

First, the restaurant itself is quite nice. Touches such as a massive horse barn door repurposed as the divider between the restaurant and the bar next door, or the individual unisex bathrooms with wooden decor, indicate a restaurant that was well planned and executed.

The oysters were extremely good. We enjoyed 18 Rappahannocks and 18 Olde Salts and they were briny and meaty. My standard two drops of lemon juice and 2-3 drops of Tabasco on each -- and they brought an unopened bottle of Tabasco to the table -- absolutely married up well with the Olde Salts. The Rappahannocks could have easily been enjoyed a cappella. And, best of all, they were perfectly shucked, with not a stray shard or fragment of shell anywhere. Had we not stopped at two prior places for snacks and drinks, we could have easily devoured another 3 dozen.

We highly recommend this place for oyster lovers, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with the 6 or so other restaurants in the Rappahannock empire to declare it superior or on a par with the others.  

• Like 2

Having enjoyed Rappahannock in Richmond a few weeks ago, and with a minor family celebration to be staged, we decided to try the Rappahannock on the Wharf on Maine Ave. At the least for comparison purposes, and at the most for oysters.

Seven of us tucked into a table overlooking the river and the foot traffic. There were a few Cardinals jersey-clad people at the bar, enjoying a pre-game snack before the Nationals-Cardinals game later in the day. And the day was as beautiful as it gets at the end of July in DC.

I started with an oyster shooter, and followed it with another oyster shooter. I remember how wonderful these were at the long gone New Orleans Emporium in Adams Morgan a few decades ago, when the oyster was in the glass, with pepper vodka and thick hot sauce on top. The version at Rappahannock had the oyster on its half shell cradled on top of the glass, with Bloody Mary in the glass and a dusting of spice powder on the lip of the glass. Very nice. 

The table also shared 4 or 5 orders of the char-broiled octopus on a bed of succotash, and it could have easily been the main event. It was about as good as it gets for octopus in our area. We also tried the ceviche, which was just OK, a bit overly rich with a white sauce that may have been mayonnaise-based.

But then there were the oysters, about 8 dozen equally divided between Old Salt and Rappahannock. What a perfect summer-y meal, and these babies were plump and juicy and briny -- and perfectly shucked. I don't recall experiencing a random shard or shell fragment in any slurp. Fresh-grated horseradish was a nice bonus. The accompanying muscadet was a perfect match, although a few of our party attacked the draft beer list.

A fine meal was enjoyed by all. Oh yeah, comparison to the Richmond outpost -- the Wharf had better scenery, Richmond was a nicer restaurant on the interior, and the food was no different.

• Like 4