porcupine

Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

6 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I'll let people know when they're correct - will answer any questions if people need hints. What do people think of how it looks?

Looks like old, dry, reheated brisket. Interested to know where it is so I don't have to go there. 

5 hours ago, reedm said:

Looks like old, dry, reheated brisket. Interested to know where it is so I don't have to go there. 

Since Don answered, I guess I no longer have to toss out a snarky guess of "DC medical examiner's office".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Texas Jack's it was. I didn't finish it.

I wouldn't have even started it.  That just doesn't look right.

12 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I'll let people know when they're correct - will answer any questions if people need hints. What do people think of how it looks?

I love the revival of this thread, which is probably my all time favorite DR thread.

I just checked my phone to see if I had anything I could post to keep it going but realized in recent weeks I seem to only take photos of my cocktails. 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2017 at 1:31 PM, ktmoomau said:

I wouldn't have even started it.  That just doesn't look right.

You almost expect to see green streaks going through it, like in a puddle of oil in a parking lot, right? But I'm telling you, it was better than it looks (which admittedly isn't saying much).

Also, be aware that I ordered 12 ounces of brisket, and this was probably 45 minutes into the meal - I probably had nearly a half-pound before taking this picture because I hadn't eaten all day, exercised earlier, and was *starving*.

On 2/19/2017 at 4:29 PM, bookluvingbabe said:

I love the revival of this thread, which is probably my all time favorite DR thread.

I just checked my phone to see if I had anything I could post to keep it going but realized in recent weeks I seem to only take photos of my cocktails. 

Good! Then where did I dine?

IMG_3092.jpg

• Like 1

Where did I dine?

More specifically (and fairly, because I know of only one person here who might guess the restaurant), what is it, and how much did I pay for it?

(To put things in perspective, note the size of the tongs on the fork.)

IMG_3121.jpg

PS - Don't worry about the price question; I mistakenly thought it had cost $10 more than it did, and I had smoke coming out of my nostrils. :)

Interesting, plates are pretty, but scuffed up?, knives are laguiole.  Table and floor look kind of like Mintwood Place, but I thought their plates weren't fancy. I feel like I would remember these plates and cutlery if I had eaten on them.

11 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Where did I dine?

More specifically (and fairly, because I know of only one person here who might guess the restaurant), what is it, and how much did I pay for it?

IMG_3121.jpg

PS - Don't worry about the price question; I mistakenly thought it had cost $10 more than it did, and I had smoke coming out of my nostrils. :)

Looks pretty terrible. Steak Frite of some sort? 

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Looks pretty terrible. Steak Frite of some sort? 

"Of some sort," I'll give you that. :)

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

You didn't; you threw up.

It was a super delicious kinda brunchy dish. Pork belly was involved. Not pictured is the fried egg which I had already consumed.

Edited to add: Fried egg.

13 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

It was a super delicious kinda brunchy dish. Pork belly was involved.

Yeah, I was only kidding - it looks like it could have been really good. Modern American with an Italian bent.

17 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Where did I dine?

IMG_3121.jpg

Bearnaise?

3 hours ago, Keithstg said:

Bearnaise?

Fascinating guess.

No, this was in Chicago, and run by a very famous, well-awarded restaurant group.

11 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Fascinating guess.

No, this was in Chicago, and run by a very famous, well-awarded restaurant group.

That's not fair, you must say upfront when the restaurant isn't in DC.

27 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Fascinating guess.

The Publican? I adore that place, but have no idea what that dish is.

20 minutes ago, JimCo said:

The Publican? I adore that place, but have no idea what that dish is.

Yes. I didn't love what I had there - this was the Dry-Aged Sirloin. When I first typed in the post, I thought I had paid $31 for it and I was *livid* (it was only $21) - I was also almost sure there were only four little slivers of steak (my dining companion thinks so too), but the picture sure looks like there were five. Either way, it was a tiny little dish - those little rectangles of steak were two very small bites each (I mean, look at them compared to the fork tongs), and the dish was sauced to death. We also had the Roasted Mushroom dish, and the two were about the same size.

The bottle of red wine I ordered was served at about 75 degrees, too ... grrrrrr.