Beuchert's Saloon, 6th and Penn SE on Capitol Hill - Chef Andrew Markert Comes from PS7s

Had another wonderful meal at Beuchert's:  Pan-roasted rockfish, seafood sausage, eggplant, tomato relish, and saffron sauce; plus, a side order of grilled corn with chili lime butter, cilantro, and pickled shallots.  If I didn't have dietary limitations and money were no object, I believe I could eat here every night.  

• Like 2

We got back from Ireland last Saturday and the cupboards were bare, so I walked to Beuchert's for the first time in what must be close to a year. They seem to have really upped their game. The drinks are perfect as usual, but the food seems to have become more refined. I had the Rockfish Pat describes above it it was truly excellent in every way and at a far higher standard than what I had seen there before. Beuchert's has one of the best open wine lists around, too, but it ain't cheap.

Beuchert's has one of the best open wine lists around, too, but it ain't cheap.

You're not kidding.  I usually hit the end of happy hour and drink their happy hour wine special, so I got a bit of sticker shock going there later than usual last night.  I couldn't read the wine list so asked the bartender for recommendations but without inquiring as to price (d'oh!). First I got a white (2009 Worthy Five Clones Sauvignon Blanc $10) that I enjoyed but found a little sweeter than I was expecting.  I loved the red he recommended to go with my chicken (2010 Vina Robles Cabernet Sauvignon $14!).  That tasted drier to me than the Sauvignon Blanc.  It was funny that he recommended a red because that's what I really wanted but I didn't think that would pair well with the chicken I was hankering to order. This was a good match.  That's what expert advice will get you...

The East Oaks chicken was moist and delicious ($26).  It was a quarter chicken rather than the breast listed online.  I think the accompaniments were the same (at least the carrots and gnocchi were).  I also got fried green tomatoes ($7) from the "market" section of the menu.  The woman next to me recommended the roasted cauliflower she had gotten, and it did look good.   (The menu says it comes with "apples, brown butter emulsion, hazelnut crumbs.") I almost ordered that, but I've been eating lots of cauliflower lately and tomatoes, even green ones, are about gone for the season.  My neighbor also kindly shone her cell phone flashlight on the menu so I could read it.  It was really dim in there at that hour, which isn't usually a problem I have at Beuchert's.  I guess timing is everything <_< .

Is this the narrowest restaurant in DC?

We were seated at the "chef's table" bar area at the beginning of our meal, but our waiter was kind enough to move us to a table as soon as one opened. I wish I remembered his name-- he's an excellent waiter and made the dining experience that much more enjoyable.

Loved the food for the most part. My vegetarian dining companion felt welcomed with the choices and ordered spaghetti squash with honey, feta, and pine nuts, fried green tomatoes, and the East Oaks eggs dish. I often feel guilty when there are limited options on the menu for her, but this worked out well.

I had the roasted bone marrow to start. It was a good sized portion with grilled bread, but somehow it became really salty after a few bites. I'm not sure, because I couldn't see that well, but I think there was a small section of the dish that separated a garnish of sea salt from the remainder of the dish. I didn't see it though, so the salt got mixed in. Either that or it was seasoned 5 times on its way out to the table. The salt was an issue only on the last couple of bites so I let it slide.

The East Oaks chicken was full of flavor and moist. I can't remember the last time I had chicken that was so "full bodied" for lack of a better word. I do wish the skin had been crisper, but otherwise this was excellent-- the gnocchi were a nice touch.

Finished the evening up with a cheese board which we both enjoyed.

I'll definitely be back as there were a number of other dishes on the menu that piqued my interest. I'm curious to know if the burger's good and I'd like to dig into some charcuterie some day.

The *oyster chowder currently on the menu is badass.  It's some good warming-the-insides food, featuring smoked trout.  There are also rye croutons, which are mixed in, so I didn't see them but got the crunch every now and then.  This is good stuff.

There are a couple of other oyster items which I didn't try, but the chowder is great.

*Kennebec oysters

• Like 2

The *oyster chowder currently on the menu is badass.  It's some good warming-the-insides food, featuring smoked trout.  There are also rye croutons, which are mixed in, so I didn't see them but got the crunch every now and then.  This is good stuff.

There are a couple of other oyster items which I didn't try, but the chowder is great.

*Kennebec oysters

Second this.  We had it a few weeks ago, and I practically licked the bowl.  I normally prefer my oysters raw and un-fussed with, but the chowder does a phenomenal job of highlighting them.

This has got to be the first time I've eaten at Beuchert's twice in one week, but my husband and I ate with one of his work colleagues and his wife there last night. It's the first time I think I've ever sat at a table, and the server was fabulous.  We enjoyed our meal.  There was one small thing that went amiss and the server corrected it right away.

Upfront, I'll say that the oyster chowder I loved so much and couldn't wait to order again came out with one oyster that was cool.  I'm not sure what went wrong, but that shouldn't haven't happened.  It was otherwise all toasty warm.  I still loved the chowder, but ick.

My husband got the bison osso buco and loved it.  His colleague got the chowder and also chicken (which is a different farm than it was before) and was pleased.  His wife shared this and also got the beets, which she loved.  I got the pork roast and apples as well and thought it was delicious but couldn't finish it all. It seemed to have a Chinese 5-spice seasoning, though that wasn't noted on the menu.

It would have been pretty much perfect meal except for one of the oysters in the chowder being not up to temperature.  That's really something you notice and shouldn't happen.

It would have been pretty much perfect meal except for one of the oysters in the chowder being not up to temperature.  That's really something you notice and shouldn't happen.

Is it possible you were recognized as a regular customer, and someone shucked an extra oyster on top for you?

Is it possible you were recognized as a regular customer, and someone shucked an extra oyster on top for you?

It didn't strike me as being on top.  I had already eaten some of the chowder before I reached it.  Obviously, they don't want the oysters to overcook, so they go in at the last minute, but that didn't seem like a special benefit.  If it was, I'm not sure how to react. If it went on top, it just dropped right down in to the mix.

ETA:  I forgot to mention in the original post the interesting egg dish that my husband got.  From the menu description, I wouldn't have ordered it, but he did and he enjoyed it.  It was EAST OAKS EGGS horseradish egg custard, pickled eggs, roasted onions, hazelnuts, radish & parsley salad 10.  It came in specially-shaped dish with indentations and such for holding eggs (kind of like a deviled egg plate but artier). That would have been a good thing to photograph.

Well, it turns out Don was somewhat right:  the cold bit is a garnish.  Last night I got the chowder again, and this time it was part of a fairly large wedge of smoked trout that was cold; the other part of the wedge was soup (warmish) temperature.  I asked the kitchen (the chef was not there and my question was directed to the person who must have been in charge in his absence) and mentioned both the current and previous occurrences.  I was told that it's a garnish, and it didn't sound like they'd gotten other complaints about it.  Perhaps I'm not sophisticated enough to appreciate the concept :ph34r: .

Moving on...I hadn't had the fries in close to a couple of years.  I remembered them being crispy and wonderful but very salty. While I remembered to ask for the ravigote sauce on the side (otherwise it's on the bottom of the plate with the fries on top), I didn't think to ask them to go light on the salt. Yeesh!  Those are some salty fries.  I had forgotten how much salt is on them.  The sauce was great but I couldn't eat that many fries, and the salt was fine so it was hard to brush a lot off.   Fortunately, near the end of my meal, someone I hadn't seen in quite some time came in and, as we caught up, he ate some of my fries.  He didn't seem to mind the salt, and I at least didn't leave that many behind.

I also had the chicken, which was good as always, but I couldn't eat too much of it.  It made a good leftover for lunch for my husband.

Is this the narrowest restaurant in DC?

I'll definitely be back as there were a number of other dishes on the menu that piqued my interest. I'm curious to know if the burger's good and I'd like to dig into some charcuterie some day.

Not sure if Al made it back but, a bit shamefully, today was my first visit ever to this well-regarded spot. And, absolutely true that brunch isn't the best way to assess a restaurant. With those disclosures now out of the way...

She had the burger and quite liked it. Al, if you haven't yet had the chance to get it, I can confirm it indeed has great flavor, fine cheddar and all the rest.

Mine was more of a mixed bag. At the sever's enthusiastic suggestion, I signed on for the biscuits with oxtail gravy. "That's a great dish," exclaimed the nice waitress. I thought it just okay. The oxtail was a bit too subdued for my taste making for a slightly gloppy gravy that quickly saturated the biscuits making them tough to fully appreciate. The eggs were poached nicely. All in, fine but I'd get something different next time and, based just on all the raves above,will surely return for dinner.

Had a delightful dinner at Beauchert's on Saturday night - great service as always.  Sad that the jerks sitting next to us sent almost everything back and were really patronizing about it (in addition to elbowing me with every movement).  There was nothing mind-blowingly original about the roasted pork dish - after all, pork + apple + shallot is a time-tested and delicious combination - but everything was executed perfectly and it was exactly what I was hoping for on a night that felt more like fall than winter.  And, I have to thank Donovan behind the bar for introducing me (not this visit, but still...) to my favorite after-dinner treat these days...cardamaro.  It made me so happy to sip a glass of that and enjoy the not-too-sweet creme brulee.  Yum!

And, I have to thank Donovan behind the bar for introducing me (not this visit, but still...) to my favorite after-dinner treat these days...cardamaro.  It made me so happy to sip a glass of that and enjoy the not-too-sweet creme brulee.  Yum!

Thank you!  I'd heard his name before but couldn't remember it.  Donovan is a great bartender (not to take anything away from the other bartenders).

She had the burger and quite liked it. Al, if you haven't yet had the chance to get it, I can confirm it indeed has great flavor, fine cheddar and all the rest.

Just the plain burger is fantastic.  I won't say they try to upsell it, but they kind of nudge towards getting more than just an unadorned burger (the all the way version has fried egg, etc.)  The meat is so good that when I've gotten the burger, I've been happy with the minimalist version.

All of the meats (poultry, fish) here are really good quality.  They really shine all on their own.

... Just the plain burger is fantastic.  I won't say they try to upsell it, but they kind of nudge towards getting more than just an unadorned burger (the all the way version has fried egg, etc.)  The meat is so good that when I've gotten the burger, I've been happy with the minimalist version. All of the meats (poultry, fish) here are really good quality.  They really shine all on their own.

My +1 actually had the "all the way" version but really focused her enthusiasm on the patty itself. I agreed after trying a bit. That said, we buy eggs only from a couple of local farms and the fried egg atop her burger did seem to be local and not industrial.

My +1 actually had the "all the way" version but really focused her enthusiasm on the patty itself. I agreed after trying a bit. That said, we buy eggs only from a couple of local farms and the fried egg atop her burger did seem to be local and not industrial.

The eggs come from East Oaks, which is the farm owned by the family of one of the owners.  I was reluctant to use "proteins" in what I wrote earlier, since I somehow find that an off-putting term, but, yeah, the basic proteins are all really high-quality.

• Like 1

When it comes to futbol (aka soccer), I'm much more an international fan riveted to the quadrennial World Cup than anything else. I'm also among the still painfully small number of people who pay attention to the women's game. And, also like Barca. Fairly indifferent to and ignorant of MLS except for those players who also play for their national teams. So, when some friends basically goaded me into my first MLS game in maybe 7 or 8 years tonight, I agreed and then ignored my instincts to bail at the last minute when the freezing temps became apparent as likely for game time in the dilapidated RFK.

United pulled out a 1-0 win against LA after 87 minutes of pretty sloppy play by both sides. I wasn't up for dinner at the stadium so, though we missed the only goal heading to our car (that's why it was scored) all was well once we landed a table at Beucherts for a late dinner. I like it much better for dinner than brunch. Oysters, burgers and the oxtail cavateli really hit the spot. It does feel expensive (a few glasses of wine boosted our bill higher than anticipated) but very good food on an unseasonably frigid night.

• Like 1

United pulled out a 1-0 win against LA after 87 minutes of pretty sloppy play by both sides. I wasn't up for dinner at the stadium so, though we missed the only goal heading to our car (that's why it was scored) all was well once we landed a table at Beucherts for a late dinner. I like it much better for dinner than brunch. Oysters, burgers and the oxtail cavateli really hit the spot. It does feel expensive (a few glasses of wine boosted our bill higher than anticipated) but very good food on an unseasonably frigid night.

If people can agree on a wine, it's much more affordable - at least for some of the bottles - to get a whole bottle rather than order by the glass.  At the low end of bottle pricing, a whole bottle is only three times the price of a glass.

If people can agree on a wine, it's much more affordable - at least for some of the bottles - to get a whole bottle rather than order by the glass.  At the low end of bottle pricing, a whole bottle is only three times the price of a glass.

Due to the hour and nature of the group, a full bottle wouldn't have worked for us last night but good to know that. I do wonder some if they'd actually see better wine profits by coming a bit more into line with the market on the glass pricing though. I'm not expert on wine pricing but I don't think I'd have noticed it as much (or at all) if glasses were 10-15% less.

The basic burger ($12) here is still really good (even on a night the chef was not in the house).  I could smell it as it was cooking :wub: .

The menu doesn't mention that it now comes with a side on the plate of some kind of spring mix (not quite sure how to describe it).  I also ordered some roasted mushrooms ($7), thinking I'd put them on the burger.  The mushrooms were cooked with creme fraiche and shallots and when smashed onto the burger made it all extra good, if a bit overly moist.  I mixed the rest of the side dish with the spring greens.  The mushrooms were a common enough type that I recognized them but cannot recall the name - maybe enoki?  Anyway, great meal.  I'm now hardly fazed at all by the bison :).

• Like 2

I had my first soft shell crab of the season here last night, an interesting preparation: pan-fried, over a pork pupusa.   The contrasting textures and flavors worked even better together than I expected.

The description on the online menu had intrigued me, but I didn't know if I wanted to spring for a $30 entree.  When I got to the restaurant, I discovered that they have a half portion listed on the print menu for $16, which suited me just fine, as I wasn't super hungry.  That was one crab and one pupusa, each cut in half.

Menu description:

PAN FRIED SOFT SHELLS

smoked pork belly pupusas, celery & radish curtido, green tomato relish 30

For the first time in the last three occasions I have dined here, the chef was in the house tonight.  The food quality has been equally good on every visit.  He has a solid team in place.

This time I chowed down on GREEN CIRCLE CHICKEN twice baked potatoes, maittake mushrooms, cheddar crumble, scallion butter ($26).  The cheddar came out just like cheesy croutons.  The potatoes were two halves of one medium red potato, which was just the right amount for me.  The scallion pieces and mushrooms were wonderful accompaniments to the whole thing. At first I thought some of the green scallion parts were green beans. There was also a gravy/sauce that almost tasted beefy but it was probably from some kind of caramelization, maybe of the mushrooms.

I feel like I'm dominating the thread, but I love this place.  The food is creative but not way out there, and it is very reliably good.

• Like 3

Chef was there tonight and sitting on the other side of the counter while his crew handled dinner. I loved the saffron cauliflower and  also the crab bucantini (whoa, spicy; I got the app portion for $16). I also got the deviled egg plate, which was a little awkward since it was 4 halves in one of those dishes that has indentations for six halves. There was a cole slaw type thing over the top and eating this was a little clumsy. Eggs and accompaniments were good, though. Brewer's Kolsch was $5 for happy hour.

I haven't been in a while and was getting a hankering so I checked the website for the current menu and discovered that Beuchert's is now open for lunch, Tuesday - Friday from 11 to 2:30.  It also looks like bar happy hour is from 11-7 Tuesday - Friday.

Pasted in from website:

LUNCH: TUES-FRI 11AM-2:30PM
DINNER: SUN-THU 5:30-10PM | FRI-SAT 5:30PM-11PM
BRUNCH: SAT + SUN 11AM-2:30PM
BAR HH: MON 4-7PM | T-F 11AM - 7PM | SUN 4PM-CLOSE

I haven't made it in during lunchtime yet but had another satisfying dinner at the bar during the tail end of happy hour last night  I had two items from the "Snacks" portion of the menu:  the butter lettuce "wedge" salad and the house made tagliatelle. I ordered a half portion of the pasta for $14, and it's hard to imagine something that comes in a full-sized portion for $26 constituting a snack. The menu categories here have always puzzled me a bit. 

The pasta involved morels, peas, favas, poached egg, and green almonds.  I mostly noticed the peas (which were fantastic) and the egg.  The salad had egg too.  It was a good version of a wedge, even though it didn't use iceberg. I'm usually kind of picky about that substitution, but had no problem with this one.

Service was excellent, and the bartender remembered me even though I haven't been in for ages.  I intended to order a half portion of pasta but just asked for the tagliatelle, and he responded by asking if I wanted a half portion.

I love this place.  (I guess that's kind of obvious, since I seem to be the only person posting in the thread...)

Went here for brunch today (pre-theater Sense & Sensibility play for us - great fun). The latkes that come with the breakfast sandwich ( I refuse to call it a 'sammie') were over the top perfection. Everything else was tasty. Based on what I have been reading here, I will have to get back at other times of the day and try their cocktails out too.

Me again ;). Last night for dinner I almost ordered the same thing I did last time but decided instead to try out one of the sandwiches to go with the butter lettuce wedge:  The Dr. Lawrence, an open-faced sandwich with meatballs, sarvecchio cheese, fried egg, garlic bread, with a side of italian dressed salad. Yes, I got two salads. I felt a little silly about that and appeased myself by topping the sandwich with the greens.   Very good combo.

One of the women sitting near me (I got the last seat at the chef's counter) ordered the ginger ice cream and I couldn't resist copying, even though it was $10 :blink:. That was a couple decent-sized oval scoops of ice cream with a ginger snap.  I thought the texture was a little off--too soft--probably because of all the honey in it.  It didn't seem like it froze hard enough.  It was a satisfying indulgence at the end of a rough week, though. Really creamy, with the bite from the ginger and the liquid candy from the ribbons of honey.  Ice creeeeaaaam </homer simpson>.

The women next to me were from out-of-town and hadn't been able to get into Barrel because it was too crowded.  They were quite pleased with their meal, so I hope they spread the word. I wish this place got more love. 

@MichaelBDC and I went here for a post-run brunch several weeks ago. I had the chicken and waffles while @MichaelBDC had an omelette and a side of bacon. I usually go for eggs at breakfast/brunch but ordered the chicken and waffles. I really enjoyed them even though they were a touch on the sweet side. Waffles and chicken were done perfectly. @MichaelBDC seemed to enjoy his omelette but the bacon was too crisp and he didn't finish it. We are not often on that side of town, but would go back for another meal if we are on that end of town. 

• Like 1

Belated thanks to Tujague for mentioning elsewhere on the boards that Beuchert's has half-price burgers on Tuesdays.  I've availed myself of this special a couple times now, including last night, and it's a great deal. Not that the regular $12 burger is overpriced--it's a good value for an excellent quality product and comes with a bit of salad on the plate. Add-ons (bacon, cheese, fried egg) can take it from $12 up to $17, but I rarely want more than cheese. On Tuesdays, though, I can get a $6 burger (+$1 for cheese) and also order fries for $8 and have a food total of $15. Hard to beat that for the quality of the food.

The first time I went, they had a sign outside advertising the special, but this last time they didn't. Maybe because it was rainy?  I have wondered but neglected to ask if this is dinner only or if it applies at lunch too. Does anyone know?

I have also finally learned to ask for the fries here without added salt. They're delicious, but the salted ones are way too intensely salty for me. This way I can order and enjoy them. 

• Like 1

I've somehow missed this place and not noticed this thread before - will have to try it next time I go to the Folger, since pre-Folger dinner is often tricky to find something good (I've eaten at La Lomita Dos for hole-in-the-wall Mexican and Sonoma for fancier, and both were fine).

1 hour ago, Genevieve said:

I've somehow missed this place and not noticed this thread before - will have to try it next time I go to the Folger, since pre-Folger dinner is often tricky to find something good (I've eaten at La Lomita Dos for hole-in-the-wall Mexican and Sonoma for fancier, and both were fine).

I think they've begun serving some snackier things earlier, but they don't start dinner service until 5:30. That's probably fine for an 8 PM show but something earlier might conflict.

7 hours ago, Pat said:

Belated thanks to Tujague for mentioning elsewhere on the boards that Beuchert's has half-price burgers on Tuesdays.

I honestly don't remember ever saying that--I've never been for the Tuesday special, though I always intend to go--but Yay, me! It's got to be one of the best burgers on the Hill.

Since I post so many glowing comments about Beuchert's, it's only fair that I mention the most disappointing meal I've ever had there.  I went with several friends for lunch, and it was (aside from the company) not such a great experience.  For whatever reason, they were understaffed. The same person functioned as the bartender and server, plus bused the tables. It wasn't that full, but all of the tables were 3 tops or larger and there were approximately 15 people seated in the dining room at one time. There were two cooks in the kitchen and someone who appeared to be a manager working at a computer. (One of my friends noticed her. I didn't realize she was an employee, but my friend seemed quite sure.)  

We ordered deviled eggs. It was clear they were to share. The server told us there would be 5 halves. They came out in a different plate than I recall from before, covered in shredded salad and very hard to extract from a central plate. We fumbled trying to lift shredded salad with our forks to our individual plates.  A comment on how these might not be the best item for sharing would have been very helpful. There were only 4 halves. This cost $11, I think, but it might have been more. (Digression to point out here that I was being treated and so didn't see the bill up close. I was the one who wanted to complain about things, but no one else did, so we awkwardly said nothing.)

The person who seemed to enjoy his plate the most got the bucatini with bottarga. It looked good and he had no complaints.  The person who got the baby chard and greens salad liked it okay but was surprised that the advertised quinoa was sparsely applied.  I got a house made half smoke with chili, cheese, and mustard. There did not seem to be any cheese, and if it was there it was minimal. The actual half smoke was pretty good and the bit of chili was okay, but the bread was overly toasted and this was extremely sloppy to eat. After tackling as much as I could with a knife and fork so I wouldn't spill any more chili on myself, I left much of the hard bread. This was, at least in part, a poor ordering decision.  I don't think I would order it again. 

The person who got shrimp and grits thought they were bad, not just in the "I don't like this" way but in the "something does not taste right about this sausage" (which the menu says is salami) way. This is where I got into the most heated argument over saying something.  

It took a very long time to get the check, but apparently their computer crashed (which seems to be a recurrent problem there, even though they got a new POS system a while back). If this had been my first visit to the restaurant, I would have no reason to return. As it is, I think I'll stick to dinner.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On Saturday, March 30, 2019, my dining companion and I enjoyed an extraordinary evening celebrating the arrival of Spring with phenomenal creations by Chef Andrew Markert at Beuchert’s Saloon.  Every dish was so delectable we didn't want the evening to end. New Spring Menu is one of the best in the city right now.  Exceptional hospitality, bar service and the brightest Springtime vibes.

Dishes appear in the order we were served:

• SPRING DUG ROOT
    Lemon-Whipped Ricotta, Miner's Lettuce, Toasted Oats, Rhubarb Jam
  • SCALLOP AGUACHILE
    Shiso, Strawberry-Verjus Ice, Black Lime, Cucumber, Fresno Chile
  • SMOKE TROUT TOAST 
    Cultured Butter, Chive, Spring Radish, Sesame, Pickled Chilies
  • CRISPY BABY ARTICHOKES
    Ramp Gribiche, Porcini Powder, Candied Lemon, Garlic Chips
  • SWEET PEA CAVATELLI
    Scallions, Dill, English Peas, Crispy Capers, Rock Shrimp, Tarragon Crema
  • XO GRILLED LAMB RIBS
    Shiso, Red Chillies, Puffed Amaranth, Fermented Garlic Honey, Cilantro
  • PORK MILANESE
    Cured Egg Yolk, Lemon, Pickled Onions, Tonnato Sauce, Petit Arugula
  • WHITE GAZPACHO
    Toasted Almonds, Grapes, Pickled Fiddlehead Ferns, Black Lime, Cucumbers, Sour Dough Croutons 
  • BISON TARTARE
    Onion Jam, Buffalo Ricotta, Mustard Seed, Petit Celery, Rye Toast
  • FOIE GRAS
    Strawberry Sofrito, Pistachio Jam, Wild Rice, Black Pepper Shortbread
  • {continued in second post}

2139082046__01copy.jpg.00e823e8f9a198475c686d0332453086.jpg94068461__02copy.jpg.a3b429c7c90fd75328de970b915fd084.jpg306899447__03copy.jpg.6803845ee0e9af2893a5aa6aa1b5eb9b.jpg903781060__04copy.jpg.2ffb91a2a1f2e13e7f18f26500f07c32.jpg351944042__05copy.jpg.6456bf3cf6acce820d99c455bc620627.jpg

2063101001__06copy.jpg.4962546a228c72e9d26a2e9385a77e84.jpg544879911__07copy.jpg.a5b255615fa9f58574c71ff8fd78932a.jpg2012615143__08copy.jpg.0b24b3a444388cd737f003e0c7455c1a.jpg839231122__09copy.jpg.123c10eb683a22a0a253deeac3f3b655.jpg1156553269__10copy.jpg.1600e6197f39c36d4b7d621845263059.jpg

• Like 3

Beuchert's Saloon has a really interesting menu of medium plates.  

We started with roasted bone marrow and foie gras.  Their herb salad consists of mint and parsley.  I kinda preferred just parsley (like at St. John in London).  They also gave you some pickled pistachios and sauteed garlic/onions.  

2nd round were Huitlecoche Campanelle and Blue Crab Spaghetti.  The handmade pastas were lovely but the campanelle was definitely a little too salty.  The spaghetti on the other hand was fantastic.  There's really not much crab meat in the dish but there's an intense crab fat (tomalley) flavor.  I've had crab fat pasta at Bad Saint and Jackie but they never matched the intensity of this dish in terms of flavor.  The dish also had noticeable heat from the Calabrian chiles.  If you get a chance, go try this dish.  

Third round was their grilled scallops  and miso roasted honey butter squash.  Both dishes were very good but not quite as interesting as the medium plates.  Had I been alone or with my kids, I probably would've ordered the little neck clams pozole and the bucatini.

The picture only shows 2 marrow bones but they brought out 2 more later.  Unfortunately my photo of the pastas were super blurry so there's no point posting it.

IMG_6045.JPG

IMG_6047.JPG

• Like 7