Tony Luke's, Tony "Luke" Lucidonio Jr.'s Legendary Cheesesteaks Now a Global Brand (Even in Bahrain!)

You can sit in comfy sports bar digs at Tony Luke's and leisurely savage their delicious, moist take on it, along with a good basket of cheese fries.

Or you can go back to its roots and grab a pork Italiano at John's Roast Pork, which means it will be double-wrapped in papered foil and bagged

Right across the street from the Tony Luke's Sports Pub is the original Tony Luke's, which is a stand with a few tables that is very much like John's. And, IMO, a better sandwich than across the street at the Sports Pub.

But you can still get the cheese fries. laugh.gif

D'oh. I'd assumed they were basically comparable. Okay, next time. tongue.gif

I don't think they're THAT far apart, but others have noticed a difference, and the ambiance of the stand certainly adds to the experience.

Like John's, the sharp provolone is the way to go (it's the default when you say Roast Pork Italian), but then you can choose spinach or broccoli rabe.

And cheese fries. laugh.gif

Much to do about nothing......

I have previously tried the cheese steaks at both Geno's and Pat's, this past weekend, on the suggestion of Daniel K, I sampled the roast Pork Italian style sub at Tony Luke's. The difference is like comparing a 7-11 hot dog to the house made dog at Galileo Grill. Tony Luke rocks! This is now my favorite place for a sub!

Much to do about nothing......

I have previously tried the cheese steaks at both Geno's and Pat's, this past weekend, on the suggestion of Daniel K, I sampled the roast Pork Italian style sub at Tony Luke's. The difference is like comparing a 7-11 hot dog to the house made dog at Galileo Grill. Tony Luke rocks! This is now my favorite place for a sub!

Much to do about sumpin' --> *,<--

You may be able to get your subs at Reading Terminal Market soon, although whether or not Tony Lukes will be restricted to selling only cheesesteaks is a point of speculation.

I went into Amada with high expectations, given that its chef, Jose Garces, was a 2007 finalist for the Best Chef, Mid-Atlantic James Beard Award.

Eleven dishes later, and $240 poorer, I can say with confidence that Amada - at least on this night - wasn't even as good as the downtown Jaleo, and considering that it's a much smaller operation, that's saying something.

The highlights of the evening were the Sangria, a glass of Godello, the dip brought before the meal, and the dessert. In between came an armada of courses, ranging from decent (Albóndigas ($11), Amada's Empanada ($12) Chipirónes A La Plancha ($5)), to mediocre (Pulpo A La Gallega ($11), Boquerones ($12), Piquillos Rellenos ($12), to poor (Gambas al Ajillo ($9), Entrecote A La Plancha ($15)), to inedibly salty (Patatas Bravas ($4), Caldo Gallego ($7)).

Last year, Garces opened a second restaurant, Tinto. Has this affected the performance of Amada? I don't know, but I do know that given my expectations coming in, I walked away from my dinner roundly unimpressed.

Compare and contrast with John's Roast Pork, where a large Roast Pork Sandwich with onions, peppers, sauteed spinach, and sharp provolone set me back all of $6.50. Scarfed greedily, this was one of the most satisfying sandwiches I've had in a long time. Unlike the vast majority of subs, this one actually needs and benefits from the hoagie roll. The sharp provolone is quite pungent, and as good as it was, it slightly dominated the mild pork, so next time I'm going to either get mild provolone, or add a few squirts of Tabasco, heretic that I am. Everyone needs to make a detour to John's Roast Pork at least once in their life.

Cheers,
Rocks.

You may not need to detour, as Tony Luke's will be comming to a store near you. From the Philadlephia Inquirer:

Tony Luke's on a roll

Tony Luke's, in your grocer's freezer. The South Philly-rooted sandwichery is working with South Jersey's Rastelli Foods to launch a nationally distributed line of Tony Luke's products - steaks, roast pork, broccoli rabe, rolls - into supermarkets, home-shopping TV and through an online store. Tony Luke's also plans to roll out more shops, including a new one in New York to replace a franchise that flopped. (That Tony Luke's in Reading Terminal Market is on hold as the market's attempt to evict current tenant Rick's Steaks is still tied up in court.)

yesterday:

Tony Luke's - roast pork sandwich, sharp provolone, broccoli rabe

Nodding Head - Phunk (!), Berliner Weisse (!)

Monk's - Cantillon Oude Geuze (!) (barrels selected by Monk's), Port Hop 15 (!!$9 for a 22oz!!), Ghent mussels, braised veal cheeks (!)

Belgian Cafe - a new place. Sly Fox Pils in can (!), Boulder Cold Hop

Jack's Firehouse - Yards Pale

Bishop's Collar - something hoppy?

London's - Pimms Cup, ?

Nodding Head - Phunk again, and a couple very unnecessary glasses of Berliner Weisse.

It was like a highlight reel of consumption. Hoppy beers, sour beers, good pils, pork, veal, mussels. I love Philly.

OMG--I just began to salivate on my keyboard when you mentioned the Roast Pork and Broccoli Rabe at Tony Lukes... Best. Sandwich. Ever.... and those seasoned Italian fries aren't bad 'niether!

I actually had my first roast pork (with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe) at Tony Luke's this past Sunday. That's a damn good sandwich, although the first thing that came to mind was that it still fell short of the amazing pork shoulder sandwiches I used to scarf down at the Galileo grill. My girlfriend also loved her roast beef with sauteed onions and rabe.

Am I crazy or is there a Tony Luke's across the street from Tony Luke's? It looked like one was the sit-down restaurant and the other side of the street was the carry-out operation...

Am I crazy or is there a Tony Luke's across the street from Tony Luke's? It looked like one was the sit-down restaurant and the other side of the street was the carry-out operation...

You are not crazy.

You are correct. Skip the sports bar and eat at the carry-out stand. Not only is that more authentically Philly, they tend the grill with more care, since they don't have to produce a whole menu on top of the sandwiches and fries.

Is Tony Luke's worth a special detour on the way up to NJ, or is it not noticeably better than what we could get from Taylor Gourmet?

We're definitely stopping by Osteria on the way back though, based on the comments in this thread.

Tony Luke's is right off of I-95.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=tony+lukes&fb=1&gl=us&hq=tony+lukes&cid=0,0,492790068595832281&ei=HMCkTI_RAsLflgfxtcyHCw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CBwQnwIwAQ

Yes, try it from an original and report back!

Tony Luke's is MUCH MUCH better than Taylor Gourmet. It's a can't miss.

But it is a detour, since if you're going to Jersey you're getting off 95 in Delaware to hit 295 or the Jersey Turnpike. Stay on 95, go to Tony Luke's, and just take a different bridge across the river.

Get a Roast Pork Italian with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone, and a Pizza Steak. And then some Lipitor.

Excellent. We're actually heading up 95 to U.S. 206 to I-287 (while avoiding the Turnpike), so it sounds like not too much of a detour.

Now the dilemma is whether to sneak in a trip to Capogiro...I remember when Balducci's used to sell their pints -- not sure if that's true anymore.

We made a pit stop at Tony Luke's around 1:30 on a Friday afternoon when the temperature outside was just above freezing. The baby's been fussing so my wife commences feeding the rugrat while I scout out the scene. There's a line of people, around 10, waiting to order. The dining area consisted of picnic tables with one heater while the entrance door stood wide open. No high chair in sight so the decision was made to eat in the car. I got one roast pork broccoli rabe, one cheesesteak wit whiz, and curly fries. The wait to get the food was maybe10 minutes, and I hurried back to our car parked in their lot directly under I-95. Unfortunately my wife insisted that we finish feeding the poopymonster before I can take a bite of my sandwich. For that reason, I have no idea what a piping hot Tony Luke's pork sandwich tastes like. However, their lukewarm pork sandwich is still delicious. It's in the seasoning, which was sorely lacking at Dinic's in Reading Terminal. Second, the pork to rabe ratio was like 3:1, not 1:1 like Dinic's. I did try the cheesesteak, almost ordered the pizza steak but I chickened out at the last second because I wasn't sure if I would like the "red gravy." The steak isn't chopped but I don't think that improves or degrades the sandwich. It's a solid sandwich in my book, as good as the other Phily heavyweights like Pat's, Steve's, Jim's, etc. Blinded folded, I doubt I can tell the difference. The fries were flavored like Arby's except they weren't crispy. As I type away in the wee hours of the night while listening to the crying infant, I realize how soft I've become. I wish Tony Luke's wasn't under a highway and that the place isn't a basically a trailer with an enclosed porch. Why don't they get a stall at Reading or a storefront on South Street?

I wish Tony Luke's wasn't under a highway and that the place isn't a basically a trailer with an enclosed porch. Why don't they get a stall at Reading or a storefront on South Street?

I went to the one in Atlantic City (which was very clean and modern), and it was no better than a Philadelphia Mike's. Think I'm kidding? Try it there sometime.

We made a pit stop at Tony Luke's around 1:30 on a Friday afternoon when the temperature outside was just above freezing. The baby's been fussing so my wife commences feeding the rugrat while I scout out the scene. There's a line of people, around 10, waiting to order. The dining area consisted of picnic tables with one heater while the entrance door stood wide open. No high chair in sight so the decision was made to eat in the car. I got one roast pork broccoli rabe, one cheesesteak wit whiz, and curly fries. The wait to get the food was maybe10 minutes, and I hurried back to our car parked in their lot directly under I-95. Unfortunately my wife insisted that we finish feeding the poopymonster before I can take a bite of my sandwich. For that reason, I have no idea what a piping hot Tony Luke's pork sandwich tastes like. However, their lukewarm pork sandwich is still delicious. It's in the seasoning, which was sorely lacking at Dinic's in Reading Terminal. Second, the pork to rabe ratio was like 3:1, not 1:1 like Dinic's. I did try the cheesesteak, almost ordered the pizza steak but I chickened out at the last second because I wasn't sure if I would like the "red gravy." The steak isn't chopped but I don't think that improves or degrades the sandwich. It's a solid sandwich in my book, as good as the other Phily heavyweights like Pat's, Steve's, Jim's, etc. Blinded folded, I doubt I can tell the difference. The fries were flavored like Arby's except they weren't crispy. As I type away in the wee hours of the night while listening to the crying infant, I realize how soft I've become. I wish Tony Luke's wasn't under a highway and that the place isn't a basically a trailer with an enclosed porch. Why don't they get a stall at Reading or a storefront on South Street?

Tony Luke's was supposed to get a stall at Reading Terminal Market. In fact, Rick's Prince of Steaks (Pat Oliveri's nephew) was pretty much ousted (big kerfuffle) when TL was expected to join RTM. But, that was a year ago or more. I'll be at RTM in the near future, so I'll ask around.

I went to the one in Atlantic City (which was very clean and modern), and it was no better than a Philadelphia Mike's. Think I'm kidding? Try it there sometime.

Hence why I told him to go to the trailer, and not even the Tony Luke's Sports Bar across the street.

Besides, those sandwiches taste better when you're standing outside at the benches. Though maybe not in yesterday's weather...

P.S. The "red gravy" there is pretty good, and the regular fries (well, cheese fries) are the traditional accompaniment.

And "red gravy", a term I refuse to use (mostly to bug my in-laws), for those folks not from the Philly area is tomato (pasta) sauce.

Tony Luke's, but only the stand under the highway, not the sports bar across the street.

Hands down Paesanos. Girard Ave for experience almost as good as the sandwich.

We ended up at Tony Luke's in part from Daniel's rec and part just because it worked out that way. Made me think they could actually make an excellent sandwich in Philly, cheesesteaks being overrated, unless you're a little fucked up.

[These paragraphs were copied from The Mother Thread as part of larger posts.

Use the Snapback Function (the little icon at the top-right of each entry) to view each post in its entirety.]

Tony Luke's:  I am only a fan of the original.  They've opened several outposts in the suburbs and to me, they do not have the charm or character of the orginal.

the roast pork italian (sharp provolone, broccoli rabe) at Tony Luke's was a big disappointment, failing to keep up with Taylor Gourmet's spin on the classic in every way -- particularly with lousy bread, dry underseasoned meat, and badly overcooked broccoli rabe. 

Tony Luke's: We each had a steak, wiz, wit, and split a Pork sandwich (purely in the name of research). We enjoyed it more than Pat's or Geno's, and I look forward to having my cholesterol checked at my check up this coming tuesday....

Lunch was an Italian roast pork at Tony Luke's. Excellent, enough said. 

If you'd never been to Philly and only had one night there for a nice dinner, where would you go?

Same question for best cheesesteak (consensus seems to be Tony Luke's), pre or post dinner cocktails, anything else can't miss including tourist activities?

I believe Tony Luke's is for the pork sandwich, not cheesesteaks.

- Tony Lukes. Yep, along with Pats two to avoid if you know the cheesesteak and roast pork sandwich scene in PHL at all. But, at Citizens, this is a major attraction and it is local. Got the roast pork. Thin slices but with good moisture, noticeably sharp provolone, equally penetrating rabe and a fairly soaked roll best to toss in favor of the fillings.

Not sure what you mean by "avoid" for Tony Luke's. Yes, Pat's, Jim's, and Geno's are more for tourists than Philadelphians, but Tony Luke's has won best cheesesteak from Philly mag in the past, and is consistently one of the top 3 for roast pork sandwiches. I can't speak for the ballpark operation, but I find it hard to drive to Philly and not stop on the way in/out of town at the Oregon Ave stand.

Not sure what you mean by "avoid" for Tony Luke's. Yes, Pat's, Jim's, and Geno's are more for tourists than Philadelphians, but Tony Luke's has won best cheesesteak from Philly mag in the past, and is consistently one of the top 3 for roast pork sandwiches. I can't speak for the ballpark operation, but I find it hard to drive to Philly and not stop on the way in/out of town at the Oregon Ave stand.

Fair enough.  I hadn't been to TL in maybe 10 years but had many times before then.  Always thought it kind of middle of the pack so maybe better than your touristy spots but not to the level of spots like Paesano's or John's Roast Pork.  All said, the version on offer at Citizen's was quite respectable by ballpark standards.  One thing certain is that Tony Luke's is the most aggressive cheesesteak marketer. Would not be at all surprised to learn they have professional PR behind them.  Have you ever tried Paesano's, Daniel?  In a bit sketchier 'hood but I'd be curious to know what you think if you have or do in the future.

Fair enough. I hadn't been to TL in maybe 10 years but had many times before then. Always thought it kind of middle of the pack so maybe better than your touristy spots but not to the level of spots like Paesano's or John's Roast Pork. All said, the version on offer at Citizen's was quite respectable by ballpark standards. One thing certain is that Tony Luke's is the most aggressive cheesesteak marketer. Would not be at all surprised to learn they have professional PR behind them. Have you ever tried Paesano's, Daniel? In a bit sketchier 'hood but I'd be curious to know what you think if you have or do in the future.

I don't think I've been to Paesano's. But I think the Roast Pork Italian at TL's is better the one at John's, because I prefer broccoli rabe to spinach, and John's only has spinach.

Also note - Tony Luke's won this year's cheesesteak poll: http://www.phillymag.com/philly/best-of/cheesesteak-readers-choice/

Law360 (July 24, 2020, 8:55 PM EDT) -- Two of the owners of the landmark Philadelphia cheesesteak spot Tony Luke's have been charged with carrying out an $8 million tax dodging scheme that involved false reports to government authorities and under-the-table payments to employees, federal prosecutors announced Friday.

The U.S. attorney's office in Philadelphia unveiled tax evasion charges on Friday against 82-year-old Anthony Lucidonio Sr. and his 54-year-old son Nicholas Lucidonio, two of the owners of The Original Tony Luke's sandwich shop.

The pair were accused of hiding more than $8 million in revenues from the IRS between 2006 and 2016 by misreporting their business income and expenses, in addition to paying employees "off the books."

"On payday, defendants caused to be handed out paychecks that reflected a portion of the employees' hourly wages with the required taxes withheld," prosecutors said. "However, the wages defendants paid and reported in this fashion represented but a fraction of the true hours the employees worked, and but a fraction of the total wages that the defendants paid them."

Prosecutors also said the Lucidonios would ask employees to endorse their paychecks over to the business, and then pay them with cash-stuffed envelopes.

Moreover, they said the sandwich shop proprietors filed bogus information with the IRS, which became a source of concern when disagreements over franchising and royalties sparked tensions in the business relationship with the third owner of the restaurant.

Prosecutors said Anthony and Nicholas Lucidonio grew worried in 2016 that the discord could cause the exposure of their tax scheme, and tried to cover it up by filing amended returns for some recent tax years.

"However, at the same time, defendants caused to be fraudulently claimed and characterized substantial additional, but false and fictitious, cost of goods sold expenses to continue their tax fraud scheme," prosecutors said.

U.S. Attorney William McSwain said in a statement Friday that the alleged tax evasion bilked taxpayers by hiding taxable income from the IRS and also by avoiding payroll taxes.

"These are serious allegations and it should go without saying that everyone has an obligation to follow the law," McSwain said.

Attorneys from Weir & Partners LLP and Fox Rothschild LLP, which are representing the Lucidonios, said in a statement that the father and son dispute the charges and plan to fight them.

"Tony and Nicky have fully cooperated with the government's investigation since its outset," the attorneys said. "The Original Tony Luke's will continue to serve its faithful clientele and provide gainful employment to its employees and their families."

Anthony Lucidonio Jr., the son and brother of the restaurant proprietors accused of tax dodging, took pains on Friday to distance himself and his unaffiliated restaurant chain, Tony Luke's, from the imbroglio surrounding his family members.

"That is not Me!!!!!" he wrote in a Friday post on Twitter, commenting on a local news report that misidentified him as the indicted owner of The Original Tony Luke's.

The government is represented by Paul L. Gray of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.

Anthony Lucidonio is represented by Walter Weir Jr. of Weir & Partners LLP.

Nicholas Lucidonio is represented by Ian M. Comisky of Fox Rothschild LLP.

• Sad 2