Trinacria Foods. Italian Market and Deli - Open on N. Paca Street in Mount Vernon since 1908

Just went to Trinacria on N. Paca Street for the first time and came away quite happy. in many ways it's like a smaller A. Litteri, with slightly better hours, and they offer a selection of cookies either prepackaged or by the pound.  We got a selection of these cookies and the rainbow cookie was divine, perfect almond flavor with raspberry, moist and delicious, and my companion looooved the amaretti, which had a wonderful italian flavor and a strong hint of cinnamon too (i love amaretti, but found the cinnamon offputting). we tried two breads, a circular asiago bread, that was just ok, and an excellent rosemary foccacia. and the tre funghi ravioli, from the frozen selection, were great--the filling was strongly flavored mushrooms mixed with a creamy cheese, with a good pasta to filling ratio.

I used to love Trinacria when we lived near the Senator Theater. It was the first Italian grocery I'd ever been in after leaving rural SC so the memory has stuck with me over the past 25 years. Maybe things have changed, but the area was very sketchy back then. I hope it's better for their sake.

Matt and I had lunch here Sunday.  It is very convenient to the Hotel Indigo and Walters.  It is a little bit Italian market, a little bit cafe, a little bit take-out catering shop.  MK had spaghetti and meatballs.  I had a smoked turkey panini with artichokes and roasted red peppers with a side of meatballs.  This place reminds me of the Italian Store in a way, but I think their marinara sauce is way better.  Our food was delicious.  My order of meatballs came iwth four meatballs, they were very good and had a nice meat blend.  The panini was also excellent, nice crispy bread, but still had a nice bite to it, I loved the flavor of the turkey, nice toppings, I could only eat half with the meatballs, the other half came home and got eaten for dinner.  I would definitely go here again.

• Like 1