Eamonn's, A Dublin Chipper in Old Town - By The Owners Of Restaurant Eve - Closed Jul 27, 2019

Twenty-Dollar Tuesday? Nope. More like Twelve-Dollar Wednesday. A quick rundown:

Cod: $4.00 - $6.99

Chips: $2.50 - $3.50

Chicken: $2.50

Full panel of sauces: gratis

Beverage-of-choice: $1.50 - $5.00

Fried Milky Way: $2.50

7 Rockwellians squeezed on one table at Eamonn's: Priceless

You seee? This is why, like me, EVERYONE should have a picture of themselves as their avatar. I was also at Eamonn's last night, and would loved to have met you all.

The chicken things are incredibly moist and do just as well as the fish. They're kind of what Chicken McNuggets would be like if an upscale place put a spin on them.

The batter that's fried on is thick and crispy, and the cod itself is well-selected... no Filet o' Fish was THIS.

The fries are thick and varied... you can tell they were hand cut because they're got such personality, and just as crispily fried as the cod and chicken.

The sauces made whatever I dipped into them sparkle (including my fingers), but the portions were woefully, horrifically, tragically, undeniably, misanthropically and mercilessly undersized.

So many fried and battered foods... I'm definetely going to be eating salad for the rest of the week. And peppermint.

Can't wait to try PX...

You seee? This is why, like me, EVERYONE should have a picture of themselves as their avatar. I was also at Eamonn's last night, and would loved to have met you all.

Wrong!

I guess you don't read the '$20 Tuesday' thread do you? If you had you could have chimed in so that we would have known to look for you.

And I finally made my first trip to PX...delightful.

As others have said, the cod portion is pricey for the amount of food you get. I also found the chips to be on the skimpy side.

Although I didn't find Eamonn's that appealing on my first visit, if chicken is now on the menu I think I will go again. I'll be sure to order a mars bar this time :P

It's fun bringing people here for the first time. Usually, I have anxiety about bringing friends to new places, but here, besides the fish-n-chip goodness, there are deep fried candy bars. What's to worry about? With every group I try to convert, someone always says, "This is exactly the place we've been looking for!!"

For those worried about small portions, in my opinion, there is nothing skimpy about the large chips. They are more than enough for two really hungry, really good feeders.

The cod was good, but the grouper yesterday was fantastic. The kids liked the chips, and the selection of candy by the front register. We tried all the sauces, and my fave was the regular old tartar sauce.

I had been expecting small portion based on some of the comments here. One large cod, one large grouper, a small cod, two large and one small chips was ample enough for me, Scott, Emma, Ian, Waitman, and Mrs. B. With leftovers.

I had been expecting small portion based on some of the comments here. One large cod, one large grouper, a small cod, two large and one small chips was ample enough for me, Scott, Emma, Ian, Waitman, and Mrs. B. With leftovers.

The grouper was awesome!!! Somehow lighter and tastier than the cod, or perhaps less fishy, so I could better taste the batter. Ummmm, delicious batter...

We went to Eamonn's for lunch on Sunday. The previous night we had celebrated at Citronelle and hey, thats a tough act to follow.

Eamonns are the best fish and chips I've had in a long time. Possibly ever. Including f&c from several geographical areas of England.

I had a hard time understanding the rampant praise for Eamonn's until I tried the grouper a few weeks back. While I am not a huge fan of some of the other items on the menu (and find the fries to be woefully inconsistent), the grouper made a believer out of me. For five bones, you get a meaty, hefty portion of grouper that really exemplifies how good fish n chips can be. Get it while it can be gotten.

When they first opened, the fried candy bars were simply battered and fried. On return visits, they were battered, fried, and then coated with sugar, which struck me as overkill. Are they still doing this?

I had a hard time understanding the rampant praise for Eamonn's until I tried the grouper a few weeks back. While I am not a huge fan of some of the other items on the menu (and find the fries to be woefully inconsistent), the grouper made a believer out of me. For five bones, you get a meaty, hefty portion of grouper that really exemplifies how good fish n chips can be. Get it while it can be gotten.

When they first opened, the fried candy bars were simply battered and fried. On return visits, they were battered, fried, and then coated with sugar, which struck me as overkill. Are they still doing this?

Another grouper fan! Yeah!

Yes, they are still coating the candy with cinnamon-sugar, making it smell like fair food. I don't know if that's the last straw, but I can only eat one (small, but good) bite of them. Maybe you could ask them to leave it off?

I rarely order chicken at restaurants whose food I respect. It feels like walking into a Porsche dealership and walking out with a Toyota. So when we were at Eamonn's on Friday, I left the chicken-ordering to my wife. (I had the grouper, which was really good. It's been too long since my last meal there, but I recall being more bowled over by the cod. I can't enumerate the distinctions though.)

My wife's "chicken bites" were large and numerous, so I helped myself to some. Holy crap. It's virtual sacrilege to me, but I just may get them on every future visit. I had no idea chicken "nuggets" could be so moist and flavorful. And the order was so large, leftovers became a weekend lunch. (For me, not my wife. You snooze, you lose.)

The fries are getting more and more consistent here, the Ray is a surprise hit, a really creamy, meaty fish (and in my case was boneless, a bonus), the catfish rules and should be had with the Chesapeake sauce, and deep-fried candy bars will gladly be made sans sugar dusting. They also seem to have worked out the kinks with the iPod, so it no longer plays Christmas techno, opting instead for The Clash and The B-52s.

Habit-forming.

Because for me, there is such a thing as too sweet. Would I take a snickers bar from the vending machine and roll it in sugar? No, that would be overkill.

And the battering and deep frying are the definition of restraint. :o

To each their own - I didn't like the bar until they rolled it in sugar. Helped with the texture.

I rarely order chicken at restaurants whose food I respect. It feels like walking into a Porsche dealership and walking out with a Toyota. So when we were at Eamonn's on Friday, I left the chicken-ordering to my wife. (I had the grouper, which was really good. It's been too long since my last meal there, but I recall being more bowled over by the cod. I can't enumerate the distinctions though.)

My wife's "chicken bites" were large and numerous, so I helped myself to some. Holy crap. It's virtual sacrilege to me, but I just may get them on every future visit. I had no idea chicken "nuggets" could be so moist and flavorful. And the order was so large, leftovers became a weekend lunch. (For me, not my wife. You snooze, you lose.)

Whole-heartedly agree. I love those chicken bites, and even if Eamonn's only served the chicken, I'd still be going back for them!

And the battering and deep frying are the definition of restraint. :o

To each their own - I didn't like the bar until they rolled it in sugar. Helped with the texture.

I have to agree - my wife ordered the snickers last week and it was great (with the sugar). However, I ordered the deep fried banana and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. That banana is my new favorite dessert.

Also hit Eamonn's this weekend, and if we didn't have our 4 year-old in tow, we probably would never have tried the chicken bites. Holy cow, they were awesome. There were probably about 10-12 large "nuggets" in the bag, which was far more than I expected. The leftovers were re-crisped in the toaster oven for dinner last night. I'll probably stick with the cod on future visits, but it's nice to know that this delicious option exists.

Since Rocks asked... today, having been denied a Lickity Split lunch ;) , Mr P and I dined instead at Eamonn's. Cod, batter sausage, prawns, chips. Not much to say, really. All fresh from the frier, all really good. But not as good as the bacon, egg, and cheese salad I'm now craving.

Since Rocks asked... today, having been denied a Lickity Split lunch ;) , Mr P and I dined instead at Eamonn's.

We should have gotten four of the hot-chili sauces, but got two of those and two others. The chili sauce is quite the tasty accompaniment.

And when the iPod played a-ha's Take On Me, you could hear the wave of spontaneous humming sweep across the restaurant.

This was our only chance to make it to a Lickety-Split Lunch for the last few weeks and in the next couple of weeks, so it was a serious bummer that they weren't open. Ah, well, these things happen. Must... learn... to... call... always...

I had the prawns a few weeks ago and found them to be a bit mushy inside. The texture was a little strange. Needless to say, one try was enough for me.

Love the cod and chicken bites, tho.

Not much to tell. Like almost everything else on the menu, they're battered and fried. About two bites each. The two I tried were tender and tasty but a bit heavy with oil.

I almost got them tonight but got gun-shy when told they were frozen (although really, Don, what do you expect?) I hadn't been back to Eamonn's in awhile, but boy was it good tonight, and the portion sizes were enormous. Cod, fries, fish o' the day, chicken bites, Smithwick's, every single sauce. Some of the best curried chicken in town right now is the chicken bites liberally dunked in the warm curry sauce. A really good showing all around this evening for Eamonn's, but boy do I feel like a batter-dipped, deep-fried, trans-double-bonded, saturated, fatty-acid molecule from the southwest corner of lipophilic Hell right about now. I hope they don't change a thing!

Cheers,

Rocks.

A really good showing all around this evening for Eamonn's, but boy do I feel like a batter-dipped, deep-fried, trans-double-bonded, saturated, fatty-acid molecule from the southwest corner of lipophilic Hell right about now. I hope they don't change a thing!

Cheers,

Rocks.

Yes, but the good news is they fry in canola oil! (heart healthy ;) )

A really good showing all around this evening for Eamonn's, but boy do I feel like a batter-dipped, deep-fried, trans-double-bonded, saturated, fatty-acid molecule from the southwest corner of lipophilic Hell right about now. I hope they don't change a thing!

A crime is being committed in Old Town right now, and the evidence is that I walked past a fair number of people coming out of Bertucci's, but just short of 2pm when I walked across the threshold, I was the only customer at Eamonn's, the Second Greatest Friggin' Lunch Bargain in Old Town.

What are the denizens of Alexandria thinking?!! This is outstanding fried cod, the kind that you wish for but never seem to get when you (wishfully) visit the pseudo-pubs of the DC area. I should have had to fight for greasy table space.

A hot piece of juicy cod the size of my hand. Chips fresh out of the fryer. A can of orange Lilt. Heaven.

A crime is being committed in Old Town right now, and the evidence is that I walked past a fair number of people coming out of Bertucci's, but just short of 2pm when I walked across the threshold, I was the only customer at Eamonn's, the Second Greatest Friggin' Lunch Bargain in Old Town.

For those of us not enlightened, what is the First Greatest Friggin' Lunch Bargain in Old Town.

What are the denizens of Alexandria thinking?!! This is outstanding fried cod, the kind that you wish for but never seem to get when you (wishfully) visit the pseudo-pubs of the DC area. I should have had to fight for greasy table space.

Must be a pre-holiday weekend anomaly. As a denizen of Alexandria, I more often than not see the place packed out, with a few in line at the counter. Agreed that it is some damned good cod - but I might have to give those chicken bites that DonRocks mentioned a try one of these days :P

Looks like sauce preferences vary greatly - mine favorites are Marie Rose and Kitty O'Shea ;) mostly for chip dipping.

Well, now I'm ruined. I will never be able to have fish and chips again at Fado's, Four Courts, or any of the other pubs in town without thinking that Eamonn's is light years better for a lower price. The chicken bites are also as good as advertised, as juicy as I can imagine any meat being and a great portion size for $5.50.

The only disappointment was the Marie Rose dipping sauce, but the staff was nice enough to give us as many sauces as we wanted for free and we loved the tartar and hot chili replacements. Can't wait to get back and go up to PX as well for a few drinks afterwards.

I haven't been here in nearly a year and will be visiting with several friends later this week. Are there any new or exciting menu items to try?

And how easy/difficult is it to find seating at 6:30 on a school night or weekend?

They have soft-serve ice cream now, which isn't much to get excited about. I haven't tried the prawns, which are a new addition to the menu, but the chicken bites are fantastic. If the grouper is the fish of the day, you won't regret ordering it.

Seating at 6:30 on a weekend might be more difficult than a weeknight, but the only time I've had a problem getting one of the tables is lunchtime on weekends, which is when they really get slammed.

I haven't been here in nearly a year and will be visiting with several friends later this week. Are there any new or exciting menu items to try?

And how easy/difficult is it to find seating at 6:30 on a school night or weekend?

After having been here a couple times now, my recommendation is to stick to the basics; cod, chips, chicken bites, and the fried candy bars and dough balls. I thought the prawns were very disappointing (too much batter, not enough prawn) and the ray, while good, did not measure up to the glory that is the cod. Also, if you enjoy curry, be sure to give that sauce a try, along with the hot chili and the one with capers and olives, which was quite good.

Oh, and don't forget the Guinness and/or Harp's :blink:

ETA: Haven't tried the grouper or the battered sausage or burgers yet, though.

I'd stick with the chicken, cod and the grouper if its the special. We were there fairly recently and the grouper was fabulous. I think its better than the cod.

The fries were a tad off - a little greasy and less crisp than normal when we were there but overall, excellent meal.

The chicken is wonderful if you don't like fish.

My only warning if that the place is amazingly popular with families with little children. I think the Washingtonian said it was a great restaurant for kids, so beware if you don't like lots of little kids running around. We were there in the afternoon on a Sunday and it was packed with families.

After having been here a couple times now, my recommendation is to stick to the basics; cod, chips, chicken bites, and the fried candy bars and dough balls. I thought the prawns were very disappointing (too much batter, not enough prawn) and the ray, while good, did not measure up to the glory that is the cod.

Dropped down here for a bite after some early cocktails upstairs on Saturday evening. I'm with DPop on the ray, it just didn't measure up to the cod for me. The texture didn't seem right, almost like it was overcooked leaving it a little bit heavy. The cod on the other hand remains otherworldly. It probably takes a unique crowd who'll want to drop in here in sportcoats before or after the best drinks in town at arguably the most elegant cocktail lounge there is in PX, but it's easier to justify a big cocktail bill upstairs when you have a delicious meal downstairs for such so little.

After having been here a couple times now, my recommendation is to stick to the basics; cod, chips, chicken bites, and the fried candy bars and dough balls. I thought the prawns were very disappointing (too much batter, not enough prawn) and the ray, while good, did not measure up to the glory that is the cod. Also, if you enjoy curry, be sure to give that sauce a try, along with the hot chili and the one with capers and olives, which was quite good.

Agreed on the prawn front - they were a bit small and their texture was mushy. The grouper, cod, chips, and sauces, however, were top-notch as usual.

Agreed on the prawn front - they were a bit small and their texture was mushy. The grouper, cod, chips, and sauces, however, were top-notch as usual.

I have to chime in on the prawn too. I thought is was an off night, but apparentyly the prawn paucity and texture are issues. The added cost is not justified.

I'm a big fan of their battered burgher, but I've noticed that it, also, is a hit-or-miss thing. Some nights it's really good, other nights, it comes out as a rock-hard orb of discoloured protein. It would be nice if they had a bottle of HP sauce on the tables as well for it.

I dare anyone to what Eammon's does better than they do it! Today, juicy chicken with crispy outer coating dipped in curry sauce, accompanied by perfect (for me) fries that were crisp -- but not hard -- on the outside but fluffy like a potato pillow on the inside, dipped in divine Fronch. Only problem now is that I'm full and sleepy and it's only 3:12 pm. Sigh. Good thing I washed it all down with caffeine! (Was that my arteries grinding to a halt? Nahhh...)

Bad news is that Ted's leaving us to go back to school. Good for him, sux for us. Hopefully he'll come back and start an empire of his own :) Good luck, Ted!

(PS: Hey, Don, I posted -- feel better? :mellow:)

Just wanted to shout out that Eamonn's is still doing great stuff in Old Town. The family had two orders each of the fried cod and the chicken bites. Can't imagine that you can do fried fish any better this and the chicken is what you'd wish fast food would be. All great ingredients and cooked with care. The fries are good, not great, but when you add in the homemade sauces, they are elevated. We got the chile, caper/olive combo and the curry. I don't like olives but that one was my favorite due to the flavor intensity, especially with the fries. The curry went really well with the fish. To top it all off was the excellent fried snickers. Batter, sweet and creamy at the same time---how can you go wrong?

Can't really eat this kind of meal too often to keep the arteries unclogged, but for a price of less than $40 for a family of 5, it will be pretty tempting.