Administrative Announcement - Use Email Address To Sign In

DonRocks

Thanks for all the feedback on the (potentially) new Dining Guide Format - I put the kibosh on it because I didn't like it (hundreds of dollars, down the drain).

We need people who love (or who want to learn about) London. Our London forum is in dire need of catch-up with Andy Hayler's reviews. It's difficult (close to impossible) for me to keep up with him because I'm so busy doing other things here. 

Anyone wanting to learn, and I mean *really learn* about the geography and neighborhoods of London would be perfect for this. You'll essentially have the entire layout of the city memorized after doing this for a couple of months.

Please DM me if you're interested - I need help here, and about 100 other places.

I'll be as simple as possible:

donrockwell.com has never mined or analyzed anyone's activity, and has never sold or shared any member information.

In other words, when you register, what you tell me and Pat is *private*.

(It is always appreciated when members use their real names, either as their member name, or in their signature files - and it really does lend credibility to your posts, especially to new readers who aren't familiar with you.)

Wed, Apr 15, 2020 will be the 15th anniversary of this community, and on that day it will switch to being a read-only document. I hope you've enjoyed participating here as much as I've enjoyed being your host, and I promise you that all of your posts will remain in perpetuum as a historical resource.

Cheers,
Rocks

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Wed, Apr 15, 2020 will be the 15th anniversary of this community, and on that day it will switch to being a read-only document. I hope you've enjoyed participating here as much as I've enjoyed being your host, and I promise you that all of your posts will remain in perpetuum as a historical resource.

Cheers,
Rocks

Thanks for so much!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Cheers,
Rocks

4/1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2020 at 1:06 AM, DonRocks said:

Cheers,
Rocks

There is so much I want to say, but for now I will just say thank you for providing a platform for all of us to be able to have exchanges about everything ranging from where to eat , to the opportunities talk about just about anything. I am forever grateful. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2020 at 1:06 AM, DonRocks said:

Cheers,
Rocks

Hey Don, if you make it read only, then you are making it impossible for POTUS participate. He doesn't read. I guess he could always point and say "Ohhhh, look at the pretty pictures!"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve R. said:

It's 12:25am on the 15th. 🤔

When the Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service announced that the federal income tax filing due date is automatically extended from April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020, Don no doubt changed the effective date of read-only mode to the same date to remain in lock step.

• Like 3

I've had several restaurateurs in trouble turn to me for help.

These (moderated) forums will be open for posting indefinitely. 

Washington DC

Shopping and Cooking

News and Media

Events and Gatherings

Fine Arts Including History and Current Events

The Portal (Open Forum)

If there's anything else people need (subforums, other forums, etc), please write me. As always, anything you write here will be retained, and will always be accessible for people to read - this website is a permanent repository, and is not going away as a source of information.

(If anyone ever makes a "midnight mistake" and posts something they need deleted, just write me - likewise, I can always change your screen name to whatever you'd like, although one thing I wish I did in 2005 was insist on real names.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 5/5/2020 at 6:42 AM, DonRocks said:

I've had several restaurateurs in trouble turn to me for help.

These (moderated) forums will be open for posting indefinitely. 

Washington DC

Shopping and Cooking

News and Media

Events and Gatherings

Fine Arts Including History and Current Events

The Portal (Open Forum)

If there's anything else people need (subforums, other forums, etc), please write me. As always, anything you write here will be retained, and will always be accessible for people to read - this website is a permanent repository, and is not going away as a source of information.

(If anyone ever makes a "midnight mistake" and posts something they need deleted, just write me - likewise, I can always change your screen name to whatever you'd like, although one thing I wish I did in 2005 was insist on real names.)

I also opened up Philadelphia (Katt) and Washington DC Coffee Shops and Roasters

• Thanks 1

You know, this community used to do a lot of charitable work - we've raised as much as $5,000 at one event which we donated to Emmaus Services for the Aging (thanks in part to the generosity of Michael Landrum).

As some of you know, I became badly injured, probably permanently injured, in 2009, and that charitable component has diminished over the past decade because I haven't been able to do things like I could.

What none of you know is that, relative to my net worth, I spend a disproportionate amount of time and money helping the neediest of the needy, but there's only so much I can do on my own. 

Tonight on the way back from picking up my $32 pizza and $15 gelato at Happy Gyro, I remembered I had a case of 1.5-liter Deer Park water in my trunk that I bought a long time ago, and felt guilty about because of all the plastic. Earlier in the day, DIShGo and I went to see some outdoor sculptures in DC, and came across a homeless encampment by a statue - on the ground around the base of this statue was an assortment of discarded clothing that was so filthy that each piece looked like it had been rubbed in mud, or worse. On the way home, I detoured back to it, parked, and gave each person two bottles of the Deer Park - presumably to drink once it cooled off in the evening, and then to use as a chamber pot during the night. It was disproportionate how grateful they were for such a negligible act, and it got me thinking - would any of our members like to fill up my trunk with items that these people could use? I don't mind starting small, but it would be nice to make this a regular thing - you'll need to use common sense (no canned goods that require a can opener (unless there's also a can opener), nothing that can easily spoil, etc.), but food, drinks, clothing, forks, plates, games for entertainment, soap, water, towels, pillows, blankets, socks, disposable razors, battery-powered fans, waterproof gear, tarps to protect their porous tents from deluges like we had tonight (these tents were porous and collapsing, and the blankets inside were wool - these people are sleeping soaking wet tonight) - any and all of these things, and more, will be used and appreciated more than if you haul them off to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Just use your imagination, try and put yourself in their place (no electricity, no nothing), and think of what types of things they might need - these people are surviving day-to-day, and couldn't possibly be thinking about the long term, not in their situation, so the essentials are what they could use most.

I remember about fifteen years ago, a friend of mine worked as a bartender at Equinox - he suggested I do this, and I did. One night on the way to have dinner there, I took a box of old clothing - sweaters, jackets, shoes - parked on H Street, walked over to Lafayette Park, put down the box, and went to dinner. When I came back an hour later, I looked, and the box was gone.

If anyone is interested in doing this type of thing, I'm happy to deliver even just a few things - I'll eventually need to learn more about where these encampments are, but I know enough to get started. If anyone is willing to make some healthy sandwiches, I'll try and get to know some of these people, and let them know that we're bringing them dinner (I'll need some time to earn their trust first).

Cheers,
Rocks

• Like 7

Many years ago, my job at the NYS Office of Mental Health was to oversee the contracts with local non-profit corporations that served the mentally ill, including the large homeless segment of that population.  One of the agencies that I admired from the time they were formed to the time I retired was Pathways to Housing, then a local NYC agency.  It was headed by an Executive Director, Dr. Sam Tsemberis, whom I became friendly with and even played tennis with (beating him to a pulp of course).  If you (Don) or anyone else is so inclined, here's some background info on it  https://www.pathwayshousingfirst.org  & here's the link to the D.C. agency https://pathwaystohousingdc.org. I don't know the current leadership & certainly not the D.C. folk, but I'd guess that they're continuing the great work they've always done.  And, of course, if you want to reach out to Sam and drop my name, he may not hang up.

On specific topic, I greatly appreciate your above post and think that any such help is greatly needed at all times, but especially now.

• Like 2

Folks, we upgraded tonight to the new version (it wasn't optional), and what you see is what the new Invision Power Board looks like. I'm certain it's going to be better, but like any visual change, it's an initial shock to the system - give it a day or two to let it sink in.

Cheers,
Rocks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Invision has a new feature that automatically archives topics without any posts in the past five years (5 is the maximum setting). I can manually unarchive them, so if you want to post in something that was last updated in 2007 (it happens more than you might think), just send me a PM, and I'll manually unarchive it for you.

They (Invision) also told me that a lot of website owners have written them about this, and they may reverse this in the future (I suspect they will, but it may be a few months). I don't want any thread here to be archived since this is an evergreen website.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone, Invision (the company who built this software) has strongly recommended that when members sign in, they use their email address; not their member name.

For 15 years, we've allowed people to sign in using their member name (you can also sign in with your email address).

In no way do I expect people to remember the email address that they signed up with 16 years ago, so if you write me, I'll be happy to send it to you. Also, within your own profile, I believe you can change it yourself to something current which you'll be able to remember.

Sometime, maybe in a month or so, we'll require "email address only" as your means of signing in (along with your current password, of course).

This is snot <--- that was an actual typo that I'm leaving in.

This is not a big deal, but I don't want to catch anyone off guard, so would you please start signing in with your email address, not your member name? As always, your email will not be known by, or shared with, any other member - I remain completely devoted to your privacy.

Send me a private message if you have any questions, concerns, etc.

Cheers,
Rocks

On 11/29/2021 at 5:28 PM, DonRocks said:

This is not a big deal, but I don't want to catch anyone off guard, so would you please start signing in with your email address, not your member name? As always, your email will not be known by, or shared with, any other member - I remain completely devoted to your privacy.

Send me a private message if you have any questions, concerns, etc.

Cheers,
Rocks

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but not only do I remember the e-mail address I signed up with, but it's still my primary address.  Is there a way to change passwords, though, in the new system?  I've never been able to find that.

2 hours ago, zgast said:

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but not only do I remember the e-mail address I signed up with, but it's still my primary address.  Is there a way to change passwords, though, in the new system?  I've never been able to find that.

Go to your handle on the upper right and click on the down arrow - go to settings - there is a line for your password and a link that says change.

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2021 at 9:11 AM, Bart said:

Don -

How do we log in with email addresses?  Do we need to log out first, and then enter the email address instead of the current username?  I'm concerned that once I log out, I won't be able to get back in!!!  😉

I changed it yesterday to allow either (figuring that in a month-or-so, I'll change it again to only allow emails). It's a simple menu with three choices:

Screenshot 2021-12-01 21.28.03.pngScreenshot 2021-12-01 21.28.11.png

I'm here to help anyone who needs it - if anyone needs anything answered, just send me a direct message, or email me at donrockwell@dcdining.com.

Do note this "warning message" is a generalized thing meant for the long term on all Invision websites (thousands of them), and not some dire warning about this particular website!