Top Chef Masters - homeboy Brian Voltaggio in the competition

weezy

So, anyone besides me watching this?  I like the Masters' series of Top Chef -- less drama and more about the cooking and the thought processes behind what the chefs prepare. I don't like that I have to watch the sous chefs' preparations separately online, though.  I understand the time constraints, but almost feel like I need to record Top Chef to watch the sous' competition first and then watch the chefs later.

I don't like that I have to watch the sous chefs' preparations separately online, though.  I understand the time constraints, but almost feel like I need to record Top Chef to watch the sous' competition first and then watch the chefs later.

If you have Fios, you can watch it On Demand (the Sous Chef compettion).  Last thursday evening they had the 1st one on (from the night before) and the 2nd one (from last night's show) so if they keep that up you can watch the Sous Chef compettion prior to the new show every week.

• Like 2

If you have Fios, you can watch it On Demand (the Sous Chef compettion).  Last thursday evening they had the 1st one on (from the night before) and the 2nd one (from last night's show) so if they keep that up you can watch the Sous Chef compettion prior to the new show every week.

Thanks!  I will program that in.

His sous didn't keep him safe during the elimination challenge, but Votaggio lucked out by getting the earliest time-out of the three.  I wonder if they put Sang last of the three because he's been winning so much?

And very sad to see the Italian chef go home.  That dish looked totally luscious to me.

I've been watching the Sous Battles since Bart clued me in to that.  Really enjoying seeing the sous chefs work and their personalities coming out.

This latest show, it's hard to say if Grahame didn't execute well enough or if Bryan picked the wrong dish for him to prepare.  I know if I saw a venison & oatmeal dish on the menu, I'd have to think twice about ordering it.

Loved watching David Burke working FOH and with the wait staff this week.  A two minute case study in how to do warmth and efficiency simultaneously.

Will also have to try that soya & butter sauce sometime soon.  I wouldn't have thought it was awesome, but apparently there's some magic in it.

• Like 1

One of my favorite cookbooks, Cooking in the Moment has a recipe that is essentially asparagus that you blanch, then sear briefly in butter. Then you add soy sauce and more butter to make the sauce. Serve the asparagus in the sauce with a poached egg on top, DI-VINE. Seriously, I think I made it 3 times in about as many weeks during asparagus season.

AsparagusSoyEgg.jpgAsparagusSoyEggYolk.jpg

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this season. I like the addition of the sous chef challenges and in general just really enjoy seeing the food they put out. I saw on Facebook that Volt was doing something on Wed night related to the show - nothing fancy, but I haven't seen anything since. Does anyone know if they're doing a viewing weekly in the restaurant? I think it would be fun to go one evening, although it's a really long drive!

It's looking more and more like Doug Keane is the chef to beat this season.  Sang Yoon appears to be putting out some superlative dishes, but when he misses, he misses big.  One of these times, he's not going to be lucky enough to either have immunity or someone who puts out a worse dish.  David Burke is starting to get knocked on his plates as the competitors dwindle.  Bryan V seems to be steadily producing very good plates and I think will be finishing in the final 3-4, but at that level of cooking, who knows what morsel is going to be deemed sublime and which is going to be merely excellent?