Stretch

2 Amys, Wisconsin Ave. and Macomb Street - Great Wine, Small Plates, Pizza, and Desserts

3 minutes ago, jandres374 said:

Who knew the back bar had a name. Serenity Now.

I just had those Sicilian Anchovies last week - at $6, they're the least-expensive of the three on offer, and with the olive oil, bread, and butter, virtually indistinguishable: I get them every time I go now. I could have *just this* as my last meal.

Love the anchovies with bread and butter.  We always order them as part of our first salvo. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, silentbob said:

What time can we start ordering from the wine bar menu?  Is 5 or 5:30 too early?

All day long, unless there's something I don't know. One thing people haven't mentioned about the wine bar menu is that the foods are largely pre-made - sometimes something will need to be warmed up, but more often than not, the wine bar menu features room-temperature items. If you aren't sitting at the bar, simply walk up to it, and take note of what looks good - I had a frtitata there last time that was the best I'd ever eaten (and I must surely have had frittatas (frittati?) fifty times in my life).

Go early, go often - you won't believe how much you enjoy it, even when it isn't perfect. Regarding the anchovies, get the cheapest of the three (Sicilian, I believe, and I think they're $6 (if I recall, the other two selections are $7 and $8)) - they're large, *and* they're darned good - put one on a piece of buttered bread (I think they come with bread and butter; if not, make sure something you order does). You'll think you're in heaven, and may just put in for a second order.

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

All day long, unless there's something I don't know. One thing people haven't mentioned about the wine bar menu is that the foods are largely pre-made - sometimes something will need to be warmed up, but more often than not, the wine bar menu features room-temperature items. If you aren't sitting at the bar, simply walk up to it, and take note of what looks good - I had a frtitata there last time that was the best I'd ever eaten (and I must surely have had frittatas (frittati?) fifty times in my life).

Go early, go often - you won't believe how much you enjoy it, even when it isn't perfect. Regarding the anchovies, get the cheapest of the three (Sicilian, I believe, and I think they're $6 (Iif I recall, the other two selections are $7 and $8)) - they're large, *and* they're darned good - put one on a piece of buttered bread (I think they come with bread and butter; if not, make sure something you order does). You'll think you're in heaven, and may just put in for a second order.

Actually, the wine bar menu is generally only available in the evening.

10 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

Actually, the wine bar menu is generally only available in the evening.

Really?! As many times as I've been here mid-afternoon, and I didn't even know this? Odd.

Is this true on Sundays as well? These are the days I usually come earlier.

5 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Really?! As many times as I've been here mid-afternoon, and I didn't even know this? Odd.

Is this true on Sundays as well? These are the days I usually come earlier.

Just checked -- I suppose it depends upon what you consider "mid-afternoon"!  ;-)   4:00 on weekends; 5:00 M-F.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty L. said:

Just checked -- I suppose it depends upon what you consider "mid-afternoon"!  ;-)   4:00 on weekends; 5:00 M-F.

That makes sense - I often come here late Sunday afternoons (thanks for checking, btw).

13 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Go early, go often - you won't believe how much you enjoy it, even when it isn't perfect. Regarding the anchovies, get the cheapest of the three (Sicilian, I believe, and I think they're $6 (if I recall, the other two selections are $7 and $8)) - they're large, *and* they're darned good - put one on a piece of buttered bread (I think they come with bread and butter; if not, make sure something you order does). You'll think you're in heaven, and may just put in for a second order.

I once asked a waiter there if he thought the more expensive anchovies tasted better and he rolled his eyes and said it was barely possible to tell the difference so I've never ordered anything but the Sicilian ones since.  They are great, and do always come with bread and butter.

4 hours ago, DonRocks said:

That makes sense - I often come here late Sunday afternoons (thanks for checking, btw).

First real sign of Spring:  Ramps on the pizza tonight.  Plus fantastic braised fava beans with sheep's milk and a new wheat bread that they're milling themselves.  And strawberries from "Harry's Berries" in California (I was dubious about April berries--but sure enough, they're quite good), with gragnano, vanilla ice cream and shortbread.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rhone1998 said:

I once asked a waiter there if he thought the more expensive anchovies tasted better and he rolled his eyes and said it was barely possible to tell the difference so I've never ordered anything but the Sicilian ones since.  They are great, and do always come with bread and butter.

I went through this little exercise on my own, came to the same conclusion, and haven't ordered anything but the Sicilian anchovies since.

Peter, if you're reading this, consider making an order of six anchovies (instead of four), featuring two-each of the three different types? That way, diners can make a direct comparison - sort of like a "wine tasting," but an "anchovy tasting." This is something I'd order, because if you order only one type, the frame-of-reference is missing, so trying the more-expensive versions by themselves just isn't worth it (to me, anyway).

• Like 1