Beerspotting

cjsadler

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is anyone else going to the brooklyn brewery dinner tonight at eatbar? politburo and i will be there and it would be cool to meet some other dr members... :lol:
i really want to, but i'm stuck going to get sushi tonight at sushi taro. i'm so not in the mood for sushi.

Sam Adams has revived their "Longshot" competition. They did this a number of years ago. The winners of this homebrewing competition get their beer made by Sam Adams. Found a six-pack at Total Wine for $7.99. You get two each of the three winners: an Old Ale, a Dortmunder Export, and a Boysenberry Wheat.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned upthread (too lazy to check), but Bethesda Market, in the Sumner Center off Sangamore Rd, has an outstanding collection - about 200 labels. They're planning on removing some of the deli cases in the rear so that they can carry 1000 (yes, one thousand) different beers "by the fourth quarter". The place is kinda pricey, being in Montgomery County, but it was a damn fine selection and I plan on going back. I want to see what 1000 beers looks like.

I really hope they carry Barbar and Foret, two beers I had at Beck recently that knocked my socks off.

I'm comparing a Hacker-Pschorr Munich purchased at German Gourmet with a Scrimshaw Pilsner purchased at Lost Dog Cafe. The Hacker-Pschorr is fresh and interesting; the Scrimshaw is yogurt-smelling and moribund. To restate the obvious: Treatment from brewery to refrigerator accounts for quite a bit - there's no question in my mind that the Scrimshaw is damaged.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I'm comparing a Hacker-Pschorr Munich purchased at German Gourmet with a Scrimshaw Pilsner purchased at Lost Dog Cafe. The Hacker-Pschorr is fresh and interesting; the Scrimshaw is yogurt-smelling and moribund. To restate the obvious: Treatment from brewery to refrigerator accounts for quite a bit - there's no question in my mind that the Scrimshaw is damaged.

I had a few Scrimshaws the the other night. It's not damaged, it just sucks.

Maybe this Beer Brain Trust can explain why the Sheraton Four Points hotel chain needs a Chief Beer Officer and if any of you were among the 7,500 applicants for the position. From today's WSJ:

As Chief Beer Officer for Sheraton Hotel's Four Points chain, Scott Kerkmans spends his days drinking beer. The 28-year-old samples new brews, works with hotel chefs to incorporate beer into menus, helps organize beer dinners where each course is paired with a different beverage and serves as the hotel's "beer ambassador" at events around the world.

"My duties have made all of my friends jealous," says Mr. Kerkmans, who beat out 7,500 applicants from 30 countries for the position. Four Points says it had more applicants for this job than any other in the chain's history.

Something I wasnt aware of and just ran into...

My sis in law is corporate outback, she took us out to dinner the other night and Outback have revamped their menu, and well, they have a couple of new beers on the menu, one of which I highly recommend, Coopers Sparkling. Its probably my fav beer (but I am not a avid beer drinker).

Its a cloudy beer still fermenting in the bottle so watch our for dregs if you dont do the obligatory upside down turnover etc.

Anyway, anyone going to an Outback needs to check out the Coopers Sparkling!!

If one must drink beer over a mudslide (mmmmmm) grab a CP, give it a spin and lets know what you think of it.

Something I wasnt aware of and just ran into...

My sis in law is corporate outback, she took us out to dinner the other night and Outback have revamped their menu, and well, they have a couple of new beers on the menu, one of which I highly recommend, Coopers Sparkling. Its probably my fav beer (but I am not a avid beer drinker).

Its a cloudy beer still fermenting in the bottle so watch our for dregs if you dont do the obligatory upside down turnover etc.

Anyway, anyone going to an Outback needs to check out the Coopers Sparkling!!

If one must drink beer over a mudslide (mmmmmm) grab a CP, give it a spin and lets know what you think of it.

Thats really cool to know-- Coopers is awesome beer, and the only quality Aussie beer I know of that has domestic distribution (unless anyone knows of another?). Is this somthing your sister in law says they are going to do nationally, or on a place by place basis?

By the by, the Pale Ale and the Stout are both excellent as well.

It should be coming nation wide. All the DC outbacks should have it. Our outback in middle of nowhere Virginia had it.

I think its being done region by region. I think the DC outbacks have had it for several weeks now iirc.

I was really surprised, as it will give Coopers a real PR boost making it available nation wide. I know coopers sell a lot of homebrew kits over here in the usa but Ive never see their bottled beer around.

Bottles of Coopers Sparkling Ale and Lager are now being sold in all 775 Outback Steakhouse

franchises in the USA, opening the way for the beers to be sold in other outlets in each state

Mr Cooper said the owners of the Outback Steakhouse Company had also indicated that

opportunities may open up to sell Coopers in Mexico, Canada and Puerto Rico, where other

restaurants are located.

Mr Cooper said that 50-litre metal kegs were not normally exported because of the cost and

difficulty in getting empty kegs returned.

“This is the first time that we have sent kegs overseas, but we have special arrangements in

place through our distributor to ensure they are returned,” he said

I guess if they are exporting kegs it is also on tap!! awesome.

I know coopers sell a lot of homebrew kits over here in the usa but Ive never see their bottled beer around.

I've seen the bottles around, but it's been a few years.

Now, if we can just get a New Zealand chain of restaurants to bring me some Speight's, I'll be a happy man.

I think you should throw in a Pilsner Urquell just so everyone can see how BAD that beer has gotten. I'm telling you youngsters ... it used to be fantastic.

I think it hasn't been the same since they discontinued the use of those pitch-lined open fermenters in the '90s. *sniff*

Ironic, since closed-fermentation is typically associated with more consistent yeast quality. Which makes me think of the Burton Union system. Anybody know where I can find a Marston's ale in this town?

Brickskeller has Coopers' Sparkling -- and they indeed *had* some in stock when I popped in looking for something Australian to drink after our election last month.

Now, if anyone knows where to get a cold VB ... It's not the world's best beer, but it's the beer I learned to drink beer on, and it has a heavy nostalgia factor for me.

Anybody know where I can find a Marston's ale in this town?

We've got the Marston Pedigree at $4 a bottle. On a different note we also just got in a shipment of Three Floyds from Munster, Indiana. If there are any midwesterners jonesin' for something from back home then come by quick, as it will be gone soon. Incidentally, Birreria Paradiso will be offering some of the Three Floyds stuff on draft in the very near future, if they haven't tapped them already!

Tonight was fun.

Vintage 50 Molotov Hoptail

Southern Tier Big Red

Southern Tier Gemini

Orkney Dark Island Reserve

Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout

And now at home, a Ridgeway Warm Welcome, which is happily not as dark as the "Nut Browned Ale" label seems to indicate. It's not amazing, but a pretty tasty amber at 6%.

The Orkney was easily the best taste of the night (it was like a belgian imperial stout, but with a nice mellow age on it), with the chocolate stout following close behind (one of the few chocolate beers that actually tastes like chocolate: delish). The red was not as malty as I wanted, and the gemini was nice and hoppy, with a very nice balance. The vintage 50 was a great hoppy start to the night.

Tonight was fun.

Southern Tier Gemini 7.99

Orkney Dark Island Reserve 21.99

Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout 7.99

Whole Foods has these three (prices marked inline) and I picked up one of each of the last two. Also grabbed a couple weizenbocks (Harpoon, Weihenstephan) at 4.99 apiece. Can't wait to see how that Orkney is doing in a couple years, if I can wait that long.

Interesting NYT article on "extreme" beers. I especially liked when the writer overruled Garrett Oliver (the brewmaster at Brooklyn Brewery):

Meanwhile, Garrett finds it offensive that brewers use terms like double I.P.A. “It’s claptrap intended to cloud the illustrious history of the style,” he said. “It’s like calling a wine double Beaujolais — it’s an insult.”

Actually, I’m less bothered than Garrett by double I.P.A.’s. Europe already has a tradition of augmentative beer terminology, like bock and doppelbock in Germany, and Belgian Trappist ales, which may be double and triple.

Hate to dance on their grave, but they've got to have a fair amount of stock aging in their cellars (older vintages of Goudenband). Unless they sold them all to try to stave this off.

They were marketing the 1987 as a special offering when I was over there last fall. Not sure how much of it they have in back-stock. I hope it's alot. It might be a little better at 10 (or even 5) years old, but any aged Goudenband is ok by me.

They were marketing the 1987 as a special offering when I was over there last fall. Not sure how much of it they have in back-stock. I hope it's alot. It might be a little better at 10 (or even 5) years old, but any aged Goudenband is ok by me.

Interesting, as I thought Goudenband was normally only aged for up to half a year, and the cellared 1987 batch appears to have literally been part of a museum display.

Interesting, as I thought Goudenband was normally only aged for up to half a year, and the cellared 1987 batch appears to have literally been part of a museum display.

Nice. That's like telling somebody at a foodie picnic that they just ate a head cheese made with SPAM. "You just paid 25euro for a 20-year old bad batch of beer!"

Still, it was good beer. (and good head cheese, too)

ETA: I don't know what you people are smoking. This Brown Shugga' is nasty. Smells intensely of wet cardboard and caramel. The flavor isn't terrible, but the aroma is positively stomach-turning.

Garrett Oliver will be returning to National Geographic for their annual beer event, the one that Michael Jackson used to lead until a couple years ago. He's doing "The Italian Beer Renaissance" on May 8. $70!!!! These events with Jackson used to be under $50. I plan to pass. (Same thing with Steven Jenkins's cheese event on April 30)

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurc...organ_val=22070

Tröegs Nugget Nectar. They classify it as an "imperial amber". Unbelievable fresh hop aroma. One of the most delicious 'maximum hops' beers I've had (it has a good malt balance to it). I'm hoping the hops shortage doesn't happen.

Delicious stuff, that. It's apparently become an overnight best-seller for them, if I remember my conversation with a Troeg's brewer correctly.

On the other end of the spectrum: Samichlaus Helles - A 14% lager? I understand the intent, but this stuff is just over-the-top, and not in a good way. Interesting, but I won't be seeking this out again, especially at $6 for a 12oz bottle retail.

Delicious stuff, that. It's apparently become an overnight best-seller for them, if I remember my conversation with a Troeg's brewer correctly.

On the other end of the spectrum: Samichlaus Helles - A 14% lager? I understand the intent, but this stuff is just over-the-top, and not in a good way. Interesting, but I won't be seeking this out again, especially at $6 for a 12oz bottle retail.

I'll back your play on that one. That and Tremens, can't wrap my mind (or liver) around either.

Just got in the following, love to hear some opinions about them:

De Glazen Toren Canaster Winter Scotch ale

Had this on draft at Brasserie Beck over the weekend. If the bottled version holds up, it's excellent; had a nice full caramel malt flavor and wasn't overhopped.
Oh, and the De Dolle Stille Nacht :mellow:
Heh. Had some of this as well - it's a sneaky one.

St. Bernardus Grottenbier

Grotten Flemish Ale

The Grottens are Peter Celis "signature" beers, and they certainly sound compelling: http://www.sintbernardus.be/en/beers.html

Oh, and the De Dolle Stille Nacht :mellow:

Is this the same Mr. Celis that came over from Belgium 15+ years ago, and started the Celis Brewery in Austin, TX? Did he go back to Belgium?

This guy, yes. And the beers are delicious.

Good for him, but bad for us that the Celis brewery did not work out.

The wikipedia article is way wrong, though, as it states that he never moved to the States. Not only did he tell a number of stories about his having relocated to Texas at a Celis tasting at the Brickskellar maybe 12 or 13 years ago, but I subsequently visited the Celis brewery in Austin, and had a long conversation with him, his daughter, and her (now ex-)husband.

In fact, the Austin Statesman article that the wikipedia entry links to contradicts the entry in any number of places.

Had this on draft at Brasserie Beck over the weekend. If the bottled version holds up, it's excellent; had a nice full caramel malt flavor and wasn't overhopped.
This is on tap at Birreria right now too. Hannah's comments are right on-- very, very drinkable. First Scotch Ale I've ever heard of from Belgium.

From the TomChat today:

CALLING ALL PIZZA HOUNDS: The original Pizzeria Paradiso on P St. in Dupont Circle is expected to move -- practically around the corner (whew!), to the Blaine Mansion at 2000 Mass. Ave. NW.

Renovation is already underway, reports owner Ruth Gresser, and so is the ABC transfer. "I have a fantasy about being open by November," the pizzeria's 17th anniversary, she says.

"The move answers a lot of questions we get from customers," Gresser tells me. The forthcoming venue will have 70 seats inside -- double the current number -- as well as 30 or seats on a patio. Like the Paradiso on M St. in Georgetown, the new place will also offer a beer program.

(Golf clap)

I've overlooked Bear Republic's Red Rocket Ale in the past (you usually see it for sale alongside the bombers of Hop Rod Rye or Racer 5), but man is this stuff satisfying! The label says it's a bastardized Scottish red. Great fresh hoppiness with a nice caramel malt thing going on underneath.