Hank's Oyster Bar, Casual Seafood in Several Area Locations - Chef Jamie Leeds Comes From 15 RIA

Now, I'm a New Yorker and not a New Englander. But I spent several summers in coastal Maine in the 70's and 80's. So, I'm not unfamiliar with lobster rolls, but I am many years distant from having had one at the source. So my recollection of what makes one authentic is probably off base. But, I guess these days I'm not necessarily searching for something authentic, but rather something satisfying.

For the authenticity perspective, I just got back from a week-long trip up the Maine coast, where I made it a quest to try as many lobster rolls as budgetary and belly-filling constraints would allow. My favorite ended up being at Red's Eats in Wiscasset, which was a whole lobster worth of meat (a ton!), and very little dressing (maybe none at all, actually). Simple, delicious. I'm far from an expert on lobster (having grown up in Texas), but I had one roll that had a noticable amount of mayo on it (Kittery Point), and I couldn't stand it...it was also on a hamburger bun, however, so that might've played a part.

fwiw.

Finally made it here over July 4th weekend. My friends and I arrived at 5:45 and got the second-to-last available table, the one in the back corner. On the plus side, we really liked the Kumamoto and Penn Cove oysters. The calamari/popcorn shrimp were also well-prepared -- that said, I've had it so often at other places that it's near-impossible to tell the difference between great and merely good (any insights on this issue would be appreciated).

On the "minus" side, my rockfish was decent and unremarkable. Again, I tend not to order fish at restaurants because (in contrast to sushi) when cooked, it all tends to taste the same to me. My palate is so disappointingly unrefined.

With a bottle of sauvignon blanc, our bill came to about $55 each after tax and tip. Slightly pricey for quality (but not a lot of) food. If we return, it would likely be for a snack rather than a full meal. I agree that the dark chocolate is a unique and generous gesture, though.

I agree that the dark chocolate is a unique and generous gesture, though.

I've got to whine a little bit about that. I like Hank's a great deal, but every time I go it bugs me that there is no dessert offered. I've never liked chocolate very much, particularly dark chocolate. I understand the space issues the kitchen has to deal with, but it's a shame that there's nothing. My meals there always seem incomplete. I wish they'd even offer something simple like ice cream or a pie of the day.

Soft serve ice cream from McDonalds has filled in and at a dollar and change, it is a nice cost saver, however.

(whining over)

On a visit last week, I had some lovely Blue Points from Delaware and rockfish with a peach salsa. An excellent summertime dinner.

Had my most recent visit on Friday night and decided it was finally time to rave about this place. I think it was the fried ipswich clams that did it. I've had some doozies in my day, but these were spectacular. Had my parents in tow too, who can be very picky, and they were satisfied as well.

Their weekly meats and two has changed a little bit from the website, actually for the good. Flat iron steak is now on Fridays, and the lamb sirloin has been relaced by a chicken paillard. At prices the mid teens, these non-seafood choices are a steal. The pork on Wednesdays, the only one I've tried so far, is great.

The lobster bisque is unique in texture (in being thin) but very flavorful.

Whenever I'm considering going here, I get antsy about the prices when looking at the menu, but invariably I end up being happy with the final bill. It's definitely a neighborhood place you can pop into regularly without breaking the bank. Maybe that's because dessert isn't included, I don't know. I'm not really a fan of chocolate. I'd be happy with just a small dish of sorbet or something to cleanse the palate.

p.s. I have been lured away from the lobster roll each of my few visits, but next time, ye will be mine.

1st trip to Hank's on a Saturday night...we showed up on the earlier side and had no wait for an outside table. The oysters on a half shell were fantastic and the waiter really knew his stuff when describing them. I had the lobster roll, which was good though I agree with those who described it as not Maine quality. Husband had the oyster po-boy and loved it. We also shared the mac and cheesy side (because it is hard to refuse a side named mac and cheesy) and were happy we did. Nice to have such a great neighborhood place, even if it isn't in my neighborhood.

Went back Saturday for what we hoped would be another great dinner. Our table was nice, the weather great, good wine, and generally good service. The food this time was disapointing. I was too busy trying my boyfriend's lobster bisque to notice I had been served the wrong salad, I ate it anyway. The lobster bisque was excellent. We had the lobster risotto and the softshells. The risotto was very good (and, hot) but the soft shells were mushy and had been left sitting for too long so they were almost cold. We chalked this up to our waitress being too busy and the softshells being cooked way ahead of the risotto. When she was able to ask about our meal she offered to take what was left of the softwhells and give me something else but we had waited too long to get her attention and didn't want to wait while something else was cooked.

Hope this is a one time deal.

Just got back from a great meal at Hank's, which I've been meaning to try for quite some time since I live quite near it. Split a dozen oysters to start...Emerald Cove (incredible), Chef Creek (a very close 2nd) and Kusshi (not as much to my taste, but still quite good). North Coast's Red Seal in bottles was the only beer I was remotely excited about trying, sadly. Good, but a single IPA or interesting dark beer might be a good idea...I guess it maybe not be that big of beer-nerd area, though, so maybe their approach is more fiscally sound. For entree I had the oyster po-boy...pretty good, but the roll was soggy by the time it got to me (I think maybe from contact with the slaw, which was pretty good but not great). However, I got to taste the short ribs (monday and tuesday's meat + 2 sides special), and they were really great. Slow-braised to fall-apart tender, and glazed with the perfect amount of molasses-based sauce...just the right level of sweetness. The sides were good: the onion rings were fantastic (right at the perfect level of saltiness), and the green beans had a nice level of toasted sesame flavor, but the polenta didn't really do it for me. Anyway, it was an overall quite good meal, and quite price-appropriate for how stuffed I am right now.

mmm.....Emerald Cove...

...and Kusshi (not as much to my taste, but still quite good)...

Just re-read this post of mine and thought it was kind of funny that at the Oyster Riot last month, I was absolutely in love with Kusshi oysters, moreso than any of the others in attendance that night. Now I can't wait to re-try Emerald Coves so I can see what my taste buds truly prefer.

Edited to add metrocurean's post about Hank's new $1 oyster happy hour: Click. Sunday-Friday, 5:30-6:30. Pretty small window means it'll probably be packed, but we'll see.

I dropped by for the $1 Oyster Happy Hour (5:30-6:30pm) @ Hank's last Thursday. Expecting it to be packed, I showed up at 5:30 on the nose, and was surprised to find I was the only one in the place. A dozen oysters and and Allagash later, I was still amazed how quiet it was. Some varieties aren't offered at the happy hour (e.g. the Kumamotos), but the $1 oysters are *'ed on the board. I had a sampling and enjoyed them all.

Good food at a great price without fighting a crowd is hard to find in DC, so just thought I'd share. I'll be back soon.

-Owen

I dropped by for the $1 Oyster Happy Hour (5:30-6:30pm) @ Hank's last Thursday. Expecting it to be packed, I showed up at 5:30 on the nose, and was surprised to find I was the only one in the place. A dozen oysters and and Allagash later, I was still amazed how quiet it was. Some varieties aren't offered at the happy hour (e.g. the Kumamotos), but the $1 oysters are *'ed on the board. I had a sampling and enjoyed them all.

Good food at a great price without fighting a crowd is hard to find in DC, so just thought I'd share. I'll be back soon.

Wow, that's unexpected. I expected that deal to mean the place would be packed during that hour. Will have to check it out (once r week is over).

Welcome to the board, Owen!

-Owen

Is OHH a relatively new thing and is it just on Thursday? Why do I get the feeling that it will not be so empty in the future?

Is OHH a relatively new thing and is it just on Thursday? Why do I get the feeling that it will not be so empty in the future?

i think the hank's oyster happy hour is 5:30-6:30pm Sunday through Friday, and it will run through February.

it started back in the middle of december.

Robyn and I went to Hank's last night on a whim, and the food was good to ok, but the service was bizzare to say the least.

I arrive first and there's no host in sight. A few minutes later he comes in and I said that I've got another coming about 2 minutes behind me. He encourages me to have a seat at the bar, without looking at the bar. There was no earthly way I was going to be able to sit at the bar as there wasn't a single open seat, and in that space there isn't anywhere to stand either. So Robyn gets there and we ask to sit. He looks around the restaurant and there are 5 open 4 tops and 2 regular two tops and 1 high top in the worst possible location (right by the door with no protection from the cold). He says, "I don't seem to have a table at the moment other than the high top, you can wait 10 minutes for the 2 top if you want." Huh? There aren't even any reservations on the books from what I can see as after he sat us at the high top people just strolled in without reservations and sat at those tables- including pairs at the 4 tops.

We ordered a half dozen assorted oysters on the half shell and some sake shooters, all of which were acceptable. I didn't think anything they had on their oyster menu was outstanding, but they were ok. They took about 15-20 minutes between when we finished our oysters and a glass of wine and a beer to come back to ask what we wanted for dinner. Oh yah, we were sitting right next to the server station. If they missed us they weren't even looking.

We ordered and Robyn got the ceviche whereas I wasn't terribly hungry so I got a couple of sides- mac and cheese and onion bread pudding. The ceviche was good, though not great. The mac & cheese was served scaldingly hot and oily as can be, as well as somewhat bland and tasteless. A good helping of salt, pepper and hot sauce helped it taste like salt, pepper and hot sauce which was something. The bread pudding was good, but only served luke warm. Then, after we finished it took them almost a half hour to clear our plates. We were just sitting there glancing around the room for a server or anyone while two waiters or busboys or someone stood next to our table and just chatted with eachother about nothing in particular.

We asked what they had for dessert and Hank's has no dessert menu, though they happily bring you bland chunks of chocolate at the end. It seems strange to me that they would have no dessert menu, but whatever.

So overall, total bill with tip was about 90 dollars for a half dozen oysters, 2 sake shooters, sides of bread pudding and mac and cheese, ceviche, 2 glasses of chardonay and a beer. Not cheap, but not terribly expensive. All said, I'd be hesitant to go back again unless it was for happy hour.

There aren't even any reservations on the books from what I can see as after he sat us at the high top people just strolled in without reservations and sat at those tables- including pairs at the 4 tops.

Those weren't reservations they were folks who called ahead. Hank's will hold a table for you up to about 30 minutes if you call and say you are coming. It's not well publicized, and I think started out as a nod to the neighborhood folks to make Hank's, well, more of a neighborly joint.

We asked what they had for dessert and Hank's has no dessert menu, though they happily bring you bland chunks of chocolate at the end. It seems strange to me that they would have no dessert menu, but whatever.

They've never had dessert due to the small kitchen.

no dessert- fine, but as far as calling ahead, these were true walkups. plus many of these tables sat empty the entire hour and a half to two hours or so we were there.

OK, so they did not originally seat you in a desirable location. Did you ask to sit at another table and were then denied? Sometimes all it takes is a quick and polite question.

OK, so they did not originally seat you in a desirable location. Did you ask to sit at another table and were then denied? Sometimes all it takes is a quick and polite question.

yes, they told us this is all they had unless we wanted to wait 10 minutes. for tables that were already open. including tables in the same section we were already seated in. the food was decent, the service was just well...stupid.

yes, they told us this is all they had unless we wanted to wait 10 minutes. for tables that were already open. including tables in the same section we were already seated in. the food was decent, the service was just well...stupid.

Maybe they were short a server?

Maybe they were short a server?

Even so, no excuse for sitting us in the same section at a worse table when the other table sat open the entire meal, plus for us having to sit there with empty plates for extended periods of time while servers/busboys sat directly behind Robyn to just chat. I think each of the things I've mentioned, even being short a server, should have been easily taken care of. The fact is the place was just not on their game with the service, and it's unfortunate and inexcusable.

The fact is the place was just not on their game with the service, and it's unfortunate and inexcusable.

Easy does it, man. The fact is you don't know what they were thinking or why they sat you there. You really don't know if there was an excuse or not, so until you have heard from them why they did it, you aren't really in a position to judge. You may not have liked what they did, but without knowing why they did so, you are maligning their honesty, intellect and intent. You were there, and I was not, but that does not seem fair.

Easy does it, man. The fact is you don't know what they were thinking or why they sat you there. You really don't know if there was an excuse or not, so until you have heard from them why they did it, you aren't really in a position to judge. You may not have liked what they did, but without knowing why they did so, you are maligning their honesty, intellect and intent. You were there, and I was not, but that does not seem fair.

I'm not talking about the seating in this comment- I'm talking about the dinner service. There is NEVER an excuse when people sit at a table when all are complete and it is clear that the dinner service is complete and waiters/busboys stand NEXT to the table and don't clear it. That is inexcusable and certainly unfortunate.

I don't understand why this place is being heralded as an untouchable entity. Even my favorite places have bad nights, and I'll chalk this one up to a bad night, but that doesn't mean they are free from criticism. $90 is a lot to pay for a meal with crap service.

I'm not talking about the seating in this comment- I'm talking about the dinner service. There is NEVER an excuse when people sit at a table when all are complete and it is clear that the dinner service is complete and waiters/busboys stand NEXT to the table and don't clear it. That is inexcusable and certainly unfortunate.

I don't understand why this place is being heralded as an untouchable entity. Even my favorite places have bad nights, and I'll chalk this one up to a bad night, but that doesn't mean they are free from criticism. $90 is a lot to pay for a meal with crap service.

I don't think anyone's holding it up as untouchable (which, I grant you, is a marked weakness of these boards), we're just trying to find a reasonable explanation for the service. I've always had good service there; I've even had great service on a few occasions. They definitely could have had an off night, and it sounds like they may have.

While I'll continue to go there, I agree with you that the prices are a little inflated. But that's a city-wide problem, not one confined to Hank's .

Even so, no excuse for sitting us in the same section at a worse table when the other table sat open the entire meal, plus for us having to sit there with empty plates for extended periods of time while servers/busboys sat directly behind Robyn to just chat. I think each of the things I've mentioned, even being short a server, should have been easily taken care of. The fact is the place was just not on their game with the service, and it's unfortunate and inexcusable.

Who said it was untouchable? I figured you asked to be moved and I was interested to see what they said. Personally I find the place a bit overrated and priced a bit high for what you are served, even for DC.

I'm going out on a limb here, here it goes - bread pudding served "luke warm" is actually...the right temperature! I guess some people like "hot" bread pudding, but I have always had it served a little over room temperature - room temperature would be OK too, cold no good! Of course, I like my hamburgers served warm to hot, but that's just me!!

I'd like to follow up on this situation with a positive report. Chef Leeds contacted me personally to ask if we would come back as her guest. Politely I've declined to come back as her guest, though I did say that we would come back on our own dime with an open mind and an open heart and perhaps after the meal we could say hello and tell her what we thought of everything.

It's this kind of response to an eating experience that makes me a lifelong customer. Yah you can do it right all day long and I'm going to be perfectly content, but if you make a mistake how are you going to deal with it? In this case, exactly the right way.

Cheers to you Chef and we look forward to trying your restaurant out again.

Is it wrong to say we go to hank’s oyster bar because it’s a good place to get in and out of on your way to a more important engagement with a starting time, and you need to be there early anyhow if you don’t want to have to wait around for a table to open up? Seated in a corner with my back to the bar on Sunday evening, this was the first time I was able to take in the entire front room, which displays a cheerful disposition bouncing off high ceilings. Things warmed up nicely as a passing snow squall lashed the street into white and reddened the faces of the customers steadily coming in through just about the draftiest entrance imaginable. Surely this was the best display of wintry weather we have had this season, and we were fortunate to be in prime viewing stands. (China inn years ago may have been a better place for watching snow because they brought steam to the table and a heavy accumulation reduced h street to a crawl.) We started out with a dozen dollar-a-pop early-bird oysters: four each of emerald coves, blue points and sister points, which we were instructed to eat like cheese, commencing with the most delicate and working our way up to full ocean brine. These weren’t the plumpest and juiciest we have ever had, but they were satisfying enough even without the bargain pricing. Not the classic rendition by a long shot, the bouillabaisse nevertheless was an accomplished, half-hearty stew, leaning on fennel a bit more and fish less than what Julia child would have you prepare after spending a morning rounding up the flesh and bones of half the creatures in the sea. A few dollops of emulsified lobster lend flavor and a buttery substance to the broth, which seared scallops, shrimp and puny but sweet muscles have taken to easily, though a shallow bowl, for one thing, ensures that they are not swimming in it. If I had felt my digestive system was up to it, I would have ordered a side of sunchokes, but instead we settled on some onion rings, which surprisingly asserted themselves well without slipping out of their battered jackets. Familiar with the excuse that the kitchen is too small to accommodate dessert, the shards of dark chocolate went down about as well as can be expected. In the early hours, the restaurant was a family place and I couldn’t help wondering why children are so much better behaved when the grownups are eating fish instead of pizza and there are no immediate prospects of ice cream.

1) the $1 oyster happy hour is no longer being offered.

2) i still love hank's. had some oysters and the friday special flat iron steak, great service from erika (there when she was needed, not there when she wasn't), and a generally good time. beer list could be better, but the Taddy Porter was a nice find, so it's hard to complain.

the account of the awesome skate at montmartre reminded me of ray recently enjoyed at hank's oyster bar, a large golden crescent of the fish served in caper butter. i love the way skate falls apart into strata of luscious flesh when you fork into it and it's cooked right. the french seem to have found it first, and there are some who still put it down, but if this is bait fish, i'll take it.

bacon and eggs was also on the menu, actually shad roe with a bacon bit gravy, served on grits, which sopped up the juices.

Two words: Chicken schnitzel!!

I had this last night with a side of mac n' cheesy and collard greens. And this was no paltry piece of chicken. This was thick and succulent with a nice tangy lemon sauces and my mouth is watering thinking about it right now. ;)

Hank's has quickly become one of my favorite places in the city, and the homey atmosphere is really what makes it worthwhile.

Two words: Chicken schnitzel!!

I had this last night with a side of mac n' cheesy and collard greens. And this was no paltry piece of chicken. This was thick and succulent with a nice tangy lemon sauces and my mouth is watering thinking about it right now. ;)

Hank's has quickly become one of my favorite places in the city, and the homey atmosphere is really what makes it worthwhile.

What was the cost of the dinner? My past experiences have had good food, but a bit overpriced.

ETA: They have a menu online that states that the chicken (a meat and two) is $17. Not bad at all. The meat and two selections are the best options price wise.

Saturday at Hank's we shared the Cesar Salad with an addition of the white anchovies. We almost licked our plates (I didn’t care for the oyster crackers that served as croutons), it was so good we wished we had not shared. We also shared jumbo shrimp which were excellent. The Oyster Poor Boy was good but the breading was falling off the oysters which made me think they were cooked in oil that wasn't hot enough. Although I don't usually care for Popcorn Shrimp, my significant other had the Popcorn Shrimp and Calamari appetizer, I couldn't keep my fingers out of the bucket it was served in. Neither had the same problem as the oysters in my Poor Boy. Service was excellent.

They don't give you a ton of food, but when I went, I had belgian beer and fried clams (from somewhere in New England, the server told me Hank's is the only place in DC that has this type) and the clams were SUPERB. So much flavor, and its unheard of to see clams with the foot attached this far south. Definitely recommend.

Went looking for Hank's in Old Town this afternoon. After a false start or two (I kind of assumed they were in the 600-800 block of King Street) I found them in what I consider the "Bermuda Triangle" of Old Town ... that piece of King between rte 1 going north and south. Still surprised that N & S on the corner is still there. Anyway pretty good lobster roll (I must say :angry: A bit pricey. No clams though today, maybe next saturday.

Robert

Alex, VA

Raw oysters were wonderful. Oyster po' boy was pretty good, but in all honesty had a strong element of just yummy friedness on bread. My cuz ordered lobster bisque and the grilled crab cake. She said that the bisque was a bit too thin for her tastes, and the crab cake didn't see crabby enough. The bite of crab cake was kind of mushy. Not really lumpy.

I'd probably only return for the oysters, and at the bar. The service while not unpleasant was a little bizarre. We had four different people come to our table, and I think we only saw one of them twice.

Any additional thoughts on the new Hank's in Old Town yet? Jamie--is that the location you are referencing here? Am curious for an early review--I believe the menu has a few variations from the DC location, doesn't it?

Oops. I thought about that before I wrote it, and never actually mentioned it. It's the DC location.

Any additional thoughts on the new Hank's in Old Town yet? Jamie--is that the location you are referencing here? Am curious for an early review--I believe the menu has a few variations from the DC location, doesn't it?

I *think* the menu is the same as DC. I just took a look at it on Saturday. Mr. MV and I will be checking it out soon. I wanted to wait a few weeks to let them settle in a bit.

I hope they are successful in getting a "go to" restaurant to thrive in that location. It's close to the Majestic, so they're in good company.

I *think* the menu is the same as DC. I just took a look at in on Saturday. Mr. MV and I will be checking it out soon. I wanted to wait a few weeks to let them settle in a bit.

I hope they are successful in getting a "go to" restaurant to thrive in that location. It's close to the Majestic, so they're in good company.

We stopped in about two weeks ago on a Saturday. Jamie was at the door. Menu appears to be the same as the Q Street location. We were there about 5:30 and about a half an hour later they were almost full. Our service was decent and the food seemed about the same as downtown. Will have to go back before making any judgment but were glad they are now in OT.

Took my second visit to Hank's in Old Town on Thursday night and must say that everything was great (the lobster roll might have crack in it though as I am having serious withdrawls). Since my first visit, a few days after it's opening the place has seemed to calm down a bit as far as crowds go. We called ahead and were seated promptly. Service was on point: knowledgeable, not in the least bit overbearing. Thrilled to have Hank's in Old Town ... could it be time to give it it's own posting area on this site? :blink:

Took my second visit to Hank's in Old Town on Thursday night and must say that everything was great (the lobster roll might have crack in it though as I am having serious withdrawls). Since my first visit, a few days after it's opening the place has seemed to calm down a bit as far as crowds go. We called ahead and were seated promptly. Service was on point: knowledgeable, not in the least bit overbearing. Thrilled to have Hank's in Old Town ... could it be time to give it it's own posting area on this site? :blink:

My experience mirrors yours. We went last Friday and enjoyed it a whole bunch. The service was friendly and prompt. Water glasses were filled right away. Our soft drinks were refilled. Food was great. The "meat and two" is a definite highlight and really a deal. I believe that someone mentioned that the lobster bisque was thin, but I found it to be thick with a bit of smokiness to the tomato base. Glazed sablefish was very good too. Mr. MV's flat iron steak was tender and done correctly. The only miss IMHO was the Old Bay fries. They were cut thin and some suffered from too much heat applied to them. Full report below.

I'm very happy to have Hank's in Old Town.

I was looking forward to adding Hank's to my Thursday lunch rotation in Alexandria. Maybe I went on an off-day, but I was very disappointed in my lunch last Thursday. I ordered the special Autumn salad and a daily special of fried Ipswich clams.

The salad sounded great on paper: watercress and frisee with roasted butternut squash, goat cheese, and toasted pecans in a sherry vinaigrette. In practice, the long strands of watercress were clumsy to eat without cutting, and it wasn't possible to get anything else on the fork with the watercress. I set my salad aside halfway through to eat the clams when they arrived, and when I got back to my salad the watercress was wilted by the vinaigrette. It just didn't work for me.

The clams themselves were soggy and greasy and mushy. They just didn't have the same taste and texture that I remember from orders at Kinkeads. It was an appetizer-sized portion, but by the time I was done I had had enough, if you know what I mean. At $18, I expected more.

I might give it another try, for the oysters, but with all the great choices in Old Town and nearby, I won't be rushing back.

Our second visit to Hank's in Old Town was just as pleasing as the first. Our server was nice and had great timing. We shared the popcorn shrimp and calamari. They were fried tempura style and came with a tasty dipping sauce. The shrimp were actually a very nice size for popcorn and the calamari seemed fresh and quite tender.

For the entree I had perfectly cooked scallops with haricot verts and a side of curried cauliflower. Mr. MV had the fish tacos and loved them. Mom had the fried oyster small plate and they were plump and juicy. A real treat for her.

We grabbed a late lunch at Hank's on Saturday and Tom is spot-on with a couple of points in his review. While the raw oysters were good (particularly the Dragon Creek), many had bits of shell clinging to them. Onion rings were delicious, with the breading remaining on the onion ring with each bite. I was not as enamored with the fried oysters which were fine, if not spectacular. Service was terrific, as our waitress was very friendly and checked-in on us often.

The table by the window is the best seat in the house, as you can look out onto King Street. It also provides enough room to park a stroller (if you need that sort of thing).