JPW

The Trite Food List

9 hours ago, dcs said:

Pumpkin beer food or drink; if not trite, then surely an abomination.

Fixed your post for you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mark Slater said:

I always preferred Gastronaut.

*Anything* is better than "foodie," but "Gastronaut" is cumbersome. What's wrong with gourmet? (As opposed to gourmand - the former is someone who appreciates fine food and drink; the latter is someone who merely likes to eat - I think the *vast* majority of people (not in this community) are described by the latter). The problem is that "gourmet" has become something related to a dead metaphor (even though it's not a metaphor) - probably started by "The Galloping Gourmet" (which was actually a pretty darned good show - Graham Kerr - still only 83 years old - should be remembered as a forerunner of Anthony Bourdain).

Brunch (as a concept)

Meatballs as an appetizer

Deviled eggs

Hummus made out of something other than chickpeas/tahini

Thai curry ______ at non-Thai restaurants

18 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

Brunch (as a concept)

Meatballs as an appetizer

Deviled eggs

Hummus made out of something other than chickpeas/tahini

Thai curry ______ at non-Thai restaurants

I totally agree.

10 hours ago, Mark Slater said:

I totally agree.

Can we make an exception for Polpettini at an Italian restaurant?

This is completely unrelated to cuisine, and I'll probably regret posting it here, but I am sick and tired of news publications, for sporting events, saying 'so-and-so 'outclassed' so-and-so.' No, (s)he didn't "outclass" so-and-so; (s)he *BEAT* so-and-so. For those who've never noticed, it is positively ubiquitous, generally headlined by non-sports writers, and needs to go. I am *sick* of athletes being in the Top 100 in the world at their chosen profession, and being stepped on with these headlines, and I have no doubt you can find a headline, somewhere, that says the Warriors "outclassed" the Cavaliers last night.

Maybe at one time, that word meant something to do with scholastic classes (in which case, okay, fine); now, however, it clearly deals with social strata. Yes, I know there are bigger problems in the world than this, but after all, this is "The Trite Food List," so, well, why not.

Example (on bottom-left):

Screenshot 2018-01-16 at 09.44.20.png

11 hours ago, Mark Slater said:

I totally agree.

Here's more .. I'm in a salty mood. 

Pulled pork anything from places that don't have a smoker

"Nashville Fried" poultry products 

Truffle mac and cheese. In that same vein, lobster mac and cheese.

Jerk seasoning at non Caribbean restaurants

Nachos made out of something that's not a tortilla chip (tater tots, potato chips, waffle fries)

16 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

Nachos made out of something that's not a tortilla chip (tater tots, potato chips, waffle fries)

By extension, Poutine that's not Poutine. Also, Poutine of any type served outside of Canada. :) (Canadian Poutine isn't trite; just gross.)

Truffle *Anything* that contains no truffle - I suspect you can find "Truffle Oil" (which almost always contains chemically flavored truffle) early in this thread. if anyone wants to come shave a Perigord Black over my Mac 'n' Cheese - better still, an Alban White over my pasta with Reggiano - they have my blessing.

11 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

By extension, Poutine that's not Poutine. Also, Poutine of any type served outside of Canada. :) (Canadian Poutine isn't trite; just gross.)

Truffle *Anything* that contains no truffle - I suspect you can find "Truffle Oil" (which almost always contains chemically flavored truffle) early in this thread. if anyone wants to come shave a Perigord Black over my Mac 'n' Cheese - better still, an Alban White over my pasta with Reggiano - they have my blessing.

100% on Poutine! And why do all the renditions here do it with Duck? That's some sheeeeit. 

And, that's what I meant to say, it certainly doesn't hurt to repeat truffle oil.

1 hour ago, Simul Parikh said:

100% on Poutine! And why do all the renditions here do it with Duck? That's some sheeeeit. 

And, that's what I meant to say, it certainly doesn't hurt to repeat truffle oil.

Things like this are *exactly* what I meant when I said "Glorified Junk Food." 

Here's another one: Restaurant Critics complaining that Poke is trite. I mean ... it *is*, but the complaints themselves have become Meta-trite, which, ironically, sounds like a Poke, mon. <--- Only an intrepid, nerdish few will realize how funny this is. Meditite.png

Ma-fucking-halo,
Rocks Hrimp

Q: What did the Freshwater Geechee do when he tried the Poke in Shirlington?
A: The Gullah Hurl

I don't know why I think of these things I just do.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Michel Richard used to tell me that truffle oil was for lazy chefs. :-)

On 1/15/2018 at 2:52 PM, Simul Parikh said:

Deviled eggs

Sacrilege! :) These are stalwarts that will last the test of time.  Now charging an arm and a leg for a couple of them on a plate, piling them up with fillings, yes, but the original concept dates back to the 13th century or before to even Ancient Rome and has a very long history far beyond the post WW2 house party.    I don't need them on every menu, converted to every fusion flavor, but I expect them at my family reunion, big get togethers and any baptism luncheon or etc, and happily will eat a few.

• Like 3