The Trite Food List

JPW

I discovered the latest triteness (although it's been with us for a while) while waiting for the office coffee machine to brew enough caffeine water to fill my mug. Staring at the notice board on the wall with slitted eyes and not quite awake to see that someon had posted a carryout menu from a new place in Gaithersburg -- Thaitanium

Enough with the Thai restaurants with punny names! They're no longer cute, they're annoying.

Mini-burgers now being served at...Ruby Tuesday.

(I know this from commercials, not experience, hand to God.)

Although I must admit, back when I was on the swim team in high school, nothing was better than a big bowl of their broccoli and cheese soup and several platefuls o' salad bar.

Enough with the Thai restaurants with punny names! They're no longer cute, they're annoying.

Couldn't agree more. If I didn't know better I would have thought it was mandatory to have an idiotic name for a new Thai restaurant.

I have found the morphing of the trite mini-burger...the trite mini-sloppy joe.  And where can you find this temple to triteness?  The Capitol Lounge, half price all night on Wednesdays.

Trite, perhaps, but...I kinda want some! <_<

--Matt,

Who Has A Can Of Sloppy Joe At Home That Has Been in His Family For Three Years

A plate of three for $3.95...they were actually pretty nasty.

The kicker is, they have a new "executive chef" at the lounge and he felt it was beneath him to run the 25 cent taco deal they have had at the Lounge on Wednesday nights for years. Personally the only reason I go to the Lounge of Wednesday nights is for the 25 cent tacos!

they have a new "executive chef" at the lounge
I find the idea that the Lounge would have an executive chef rather trite. I mean there are just certain places that should not have anything more than a cook, The Capitol Lounge is one of them.

Here's the kiss of death for a dish--seen at Giant recently: microwavable molten chocolate cake in a shelf-stable plastic bowl. Betty Crocker or some such major brand. Yick. What hath Thomas Keller wrought?

Half-cooked microwaved brownie batter in a Gladware tub, that's what he wrought.

I find the idea that the Lounge would have an executive chef rather trite.  I mean there are just certain places that should not have anything more than a cook, The Capitol Lounge is one of them.

Agreed. Ideally, he should sweat into the food too.

Foam... at Sushi Kaz today one of the special sushis included "cucumber foam"  ???????

(I wanted to order it, but everybody at my table was making fun of the foam so I did not)

OK, since when is FOAM a food group? I ordered a dessert at Atlantico because it had "banana foam" and I was dying to know, but it was just banana flavored whipped cream. Was that so hard, or am I just a great big philistine?

OK, since when is FOAM a food group? I ordered a dessert at Atlantico because it had "banana foam" and I was dying to know, but it was just banana flavored whipped cream.  Was that so hard, or am I just a great big philistine?

this sounds like foam made the old-fashioned way with a mixer, but they actually use a carbon-dioxide technique at mini-bar. i believe, though i am unfamiliar with exactly how this equipment works. with a really good foam, the substance of the food is ditched and the flavor is carried on air. i had some excellent foam (chickpea?) at palena a couple of weeks ago, and killer pea foam in spain. the whole idea of foam is slightly frivolous, but it is the opposite of trite.

OK, since when is FOAM a food group? I ordered a dessert at Atlantico because it had "banana foam" and I was dying to know, but it was just banana flavored whipped cream.  Was that so hard, or am I just a great big philistine?

Welcome to DR.com beezy.

Oyamel and Restaurant Eve also put "foams" on their drinks. Oyamel uses "salt air" on some of their margaritas and Eve uses pickle foam on their pickle martini.

I have now seen two separate references to "lobster corn dogs" in the past month and I'm pretty sure they're trite already.

Where? The one I tried at CK was good, but I am not a lobster nut like some people.

[You're a great big Philistine, but only because you triple-spaced on your first post.

Welcome, I think! Rocks.]

My judgements on today's entries--

Foam -- trite

Lobster corn dogs -- not trite. we need more than two

Flash -- annoyingly trite (and just plain annoying)

Martinis that consist of more than gin/vodka and vermouth -- tritely trite

Lobster corn dogs -- not trite. we need more than two

As you wish. A quick Googling turned up more than a dozen, in Minneapolis, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and several places in Seattle. Part of the "upscale gourmet" trend, according to one article, which is in itself possibly trite (yet, I have to admit, delicious.)

Two important developments inside the beltway. By far the more welcome and delightful is that Eunny Jang (where have you been Eunny Jang?) has her own blog! And if that weren't good enough news, she also had her first piece published in print in the slick DC Style Magazine. So why am I posting this on the Trite Food List thread?

Because food blogs are trite.

No, that ain't it. It's because her article was all about ...you guessed it....didn't you? Mini-Burgers! Kleig lights on. Red carpet rolling. Eunny Eunny Eunny!

[but where is Matchbox?!]

Poached eggs? I first had it in the bacon egg and cheese salad at Eve, but they have also made appearances in the pea soup at Blue Duck Tavern, on the pan roasted mushroom salad at Circle Bistro, the spinach and shrimp salad at Restaurant Kolumbia, and in asparagus soup at Galileo. I like poking a fork into the yolk and watching the goo ooze out. Except when it doesn't.

[ETA - not referring to poached eggs in eggs benedict, on corn beef hash, brunch concoctions and other places that poached eggs traditionally appear, which have transcended from hackneyed to hallowed. In fact, I wish there would be more corn beef hash with poached eggs on menus around here...breakfast, lunch or dinner.]

I'm also noticing the waning of those colorful decorative (but not terribly useful) drips and drizzles drawn and squeezed around plates these days.

I'm also noticing the waning of those colorful decorative (but not terribly useful) drips and drizzles drawn and squeezed around plates these days.

...but Brendan I must caution you about succumbing to the latest Trite Food Item, what can only be called "The Scraped Sperm Cell," clearly evident in your Alaskan Halibut, refer to the first and third pictures in this posting for an example, how was your week.

We were strongly into Scraped Sperm Cell territory with the fluke appetizer last night at 1789.

Cheers,
Rocks.

A well executed poached egg is never trite.

What is up with all those poached eggs I'm seeing these days served over an English Muffin and ham with Hollandaise on top. Hell, I was just served this very thing at Colorado Kitchen this weekend.

Are chefs ever going to get enough of poached eggs?

I am at the breaking point with Scallops as well as Polenta. Also have to agree with the Pork Belly, getting over used . Remember years ago when it appeared on the menu at cashion's.

I heard that Tallua will be putting pork belly on the menu.