What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

How'd it drink? I've got a bunch in the cellar.

Decent, but not as good as my previous bottles. Lots of acidity and minerals, but just not the same brightness as I remember. I have plenty more bottles myself so we will see how they go with time.

Old Forester Repeal Day Whisky. Finally got around to trying this stuff. Interesting that it doesn't say "Bourbon" on the label, despite all the reviews online calling it bourbon. 100 proof, but not as aggressive as some spirits in that ballpark. Good stuff.

I needed incentives this afternoon/evening while doing inventory in the cellar. First up, an amazing Cote Rotie - the 1997 Guigal La Landonne - all licorice and bloody game, and satiny. And then a 2005 Mordoree Reine des Bois CDP - needed an hour in the glass to blossom but finally revealed a lush, thick, tannic monster with absurd concentration. The Guigal is close to peaking, the Mordoree won't be for at least 10 years.

2006 Casalino Chianti Classico, a wine that I once saw described as being lush, but not jammy, a description that wholeheartedly share. There is still enough rustic character to let you know it is a Chianti, and the fruityness is not in a Parkerised style. A great wine for only about $12 a bottle.

2007 Reichsgraf von KesselStatt Piesporter Goldtropfchen Kabinett-

Much like it's name this wine is a mouthfull of crazy flavor. Ripe apple/lime/peach/melon. Nice acidity and spice on the finish. One of the top 07 Mosel wines that I have tried and a great value at around $20.

2006 Casalino Chianti Classico, a wine that I once saw described as being lush, but not jammy, a description that wholeheartedly share. There is still enough rustic character to let you know it is a Chianti, and the fruityness is not in a Parkerised style. A great wine for only about $12 a bottle.
Where'dja get it, Steve?

Just finished Vincent's Wine Club at the Ritz in Tysons where we sampled:

2004 Gaja & Rey Chardonnay

2002 Tua Rita, Giuston di Notri

2001 Aglianico Del Vukture, Terra del Re

1968 Amarone della Valpolicella (yes! 1968!)

2003 Moscata Rosa

then had a nightcap of a 1997 Pommard at Bourbon Steak.

Life is good!

Just finished Vincent's Wine Club at the Ritz in Tysons where we sampled:

2004 Gaja & Rey Chardonnay

2002 Tua Rita, Giuston di Notri

2001 Aglianico Del Vukture, Terra del Re

1968 Amarone della Valpolicella (yes! 1968!)

2003 Moscata Rosa

then had a nightcap of a 1997 Pommard at Bourbon Steak.

Life is good!

What is this Wine Club at the Ritz you speak of?

In an attempt to make some space, I've been experimenting with some of the frozen fruit pulp I have in the freezer. Last night guanabana went in the blender with crushed ice, Cointreau, limoncello, and vodka. This was modified from a recipe I found on the net that called for lemon flavored vodka. I liked how the Cointreau worked with the fruit, it made for a very nice, tropical complexity, but I won't make this one again. OK, but not great. There's about half a package left that I'm going to try with rum, and then I've got some dragonfruit to deal with. Suggestions are welcome.

I was asked to come up with cocktails for my brother's wedding. So we had the Matt and the Cathy. The Matt was basically a Crown and Coke (practically the family drink for everyone but me) but with some Grand Marnier and orange bitters. The Cathy was vodka and Grand Marnier topped with champagne in a Chambord rinsed glass.

That was the drunkest I've ever seen a lot of my friends and relatives! And I haven't drank that much regular Coke in longer than I can remember...

A memorable night by any standard. After cleansing the palate with a split of NV Krug, we drank the 2003 Plume du Pientre from Mordoree - the finest CDP I have ever tasted, followed by 2 California cab legends, the mind blowing 1997 Bryant Family (for me, the wine of the night) and the amazing 1994 Harlan Estate. I am a very lucky guy.

^ I first heard about Ting from Tiare on the Ministry of Rum site, but I had never seen it around NoVA. I'm planning to try some of her drink ideas, although I haven't got any W&N overproof, and it is rare that I have all the ingredients she has on hand (phenom is correct). Grand Mart at seven corners has Ting in little glass bottles - perfect for experimentation. Now that I know it's so good, I'll look for the larger bottles. This would make a great summer party drink.

^ I first heard about Ting from Tiare on the Ministry of Rum site, but I had never seen it around NoVA. I'm planning to try some of her drink ideas, although I haven't got any W&N overproof, and it is rare that I have all the ingredients she has on hand (phenom is correct). Grand Mart at seven corners has Ting in little glass bottles - perfect for experimentation. Now that I know it's so good, I'll look for the larger bottles. This would make a great summer party drink.

I saw Ting at Rodman's in Friendship Heights a few days ago.

What is this Wine Club at the Ritz you speak of?
From Vincent Feraud's email in January:

Vincent’s Wine Club: Spring Wine Tasting Series

Thursday Evenings 6:30 to 8:30 pm

Vincent’s Wine Club Tasting Series: An Italian Love Affair (From North to South) Thursday, February 5th and February 19th

Vincent’s Wine Club Tasting Series: White Burgundy & some of my favorite Pinot Noir Thursday, March 5th and 26th

Vincent’s Wine Club Tasting Series: Blind Tasting (We had such a great time, let’s do another!) Thursday, April 9th and 23rd

The cost per class is $110.00, which includes tax and gratuity for my team. My partner Chef Jeff Sklaney from the Steak House restaurant will prepare a small dish to accompany each wine. As always, we will have fun!

You can send a request to be added to the mailing list to Vincent.Feraud@ritzcarlton.com

(sorry if this was already answered and moved)

I saw Ting at Rodman's in Friendship Heights a few days ago.
I love Ting. Great straight or as a mixer. I used to find it at Rodman's or at the big Giant in Bethesda behind the shopping strip with Barnes & Noble.

As much as I love Rodman's, it is so far out of the way for me that I rarely go. I wish they would open in Virginia. I'll check our Giant here since it's so close. They have a pretty good stock of things from Central and South America, but I don't know about Caribbean foods, and I so rarely drink sodas that I just don't peruse those aisles. I happened on this at Grand Mart looking for Mexican Coke in glass bottles for Mr. lperry (score on that if anyone is interested), and now that I know it is not only made with real fruit, but tastes like real fruit, I'll get more. I think it would work nicely in a Paloma as well.

As much as I love Rodman's, it is so far out of the way for me that I rarely go. I wish they would open in Virginia. I'll check our Giant here since it's so close. They have a pretty good stock of things from Central and South America, but I don't know about Caribbean foods, and I so rarely drink sodas that I just don't peruse those aisles. I happened on this at Grand Mart looking for Mexican Coke in glass bottles for Mr. lperry (score on that if anyone is interested), and now that I know it is not only made with real fruit, but tastes like real fruit, I'll get more. I think it would work nicely in a Paloma as well.

If you have a SFW nearby, check there as well. That's where I've bought Ting...and they even had a pink grapefruit variety Ting on our last visit, which was fantastic!

If you have a SFW nearby, check there as well. That's where I've bought Ting...and they even had a pink grapefruit variety Ting on our last visit, which was fantastic!

And SFW at Potomac Yards pays off! Both Ting *and* D&G ginger beer just one aisle across from where I buy dried beans all the time. (Doh!) Nice day for a dark and stormy.