What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

From the Grog Log, and requiring a blender, a Port Light. My homemade passionfruit syrup is not as sweet as Trader Vic's, so I added 1/4 ounce of vanilla syrup per drink and then hit it with the peach bitters. It all worked really nicely with the bourbon.

Counter Culture's Idido Misty Valley coffee brewed with chunks of Penzey's Cassia cinnamon. This cup has a touch of warmed goat milk and a whisper of simple syrup made from a vanilla bean pod (Mexico).

I may never leave my house again.

Well, not before the caffeine kicks in anyway.

*yum*

Half Counter Culture Peaberry Microlot, Half Chocolate Mint Teeccino, with a touch of battery acid (!).

Like most mornings, I went to foam my heated goat milk with my somewhat ancient Aerolatte. I guess the last washing was a little too aggressive. When it would not turn on this morning, I opened the battery case, revealing a scary, acidic mess.

Oh well, it's a good day for new fingerprints anyway.

Cabernet sauvignon. My parents just got to town and brought an incredibly old bottle of Johnny Walker Gold Label. No one was sure if it was even drinkable. However, my husband and father are still alive, so I'll assume yes.

Yeah... we have some 30 year old bottles of Johnnie Black that have been in the basement. Def. drinkable, and def. superior to new, actually.

Yeah... we have some 30 year old bottles of Johnnie Black that have been in the basement. Def. drinkable, and def. superior to new, actually.

Good to know! This came from my grandfather's bar and hadn't been carefully handled in any way; it was starting to evaporate despite being corked, so my dad figured, why not bring it up and try it this holiday. Seems a good thing he did. :(

I would argue that the "better"nes is due to the decline in JWB rather than any imporvement occuring in the bottle.

I have some old bottles around the house of commercial stuff and it tastes exactly as I remember it tasting when I used to think that brand cool. But then I drink the same brand today and it is swill.

On the other hand, any bottles of good stuff {great single malts, Willets, small batch bourbon etc} just seem to disappear on their own so I can never test if they improve in the bottle for more than a week or two. Funny that! :(

Good to know! This came from my grandfather's bar and hadn't been carefully handled in any way; it was starting to evaporate despite being corked, so my dad figured, why not bring it up and try it this holiday. Seems a good thing he did. :(

Yea I would say the one issue with the evaporation, which we didn't experience since they were unopened is that the alcohol is the first to go.

Yea I would say the one issue with the evaporation, which we didn't experience since they were unopened is that the alcohol is the first to go.

Haha. Really, the fact that the bottle somehow moved from St. Louis to Boston to South Carolina and didn't explode is impressive. My folks really aren't connoisseurs of scotch; as long as it's on the rocks, for the most part, they're fine. And mom won't drink anything "too strong." (Clearly, I'm not actually genetically related to them.) :(

Dubonnet rouge on the rocks, lemon twist.

Had dinner on Saturday during my trip to Beantown at the house of one of my best friends, who happens to be the friend who introduced me to this aperitif. She was telling me that she and her husband got a case at the Québec border on their way home from their annual Thanksgiving trip, and she hadn't realized that the Québecois Dubonnet has a lower ABV than what you get here in the States. "Although for that much less money," she noted, "I don't care what the ABV is!"

I hadn't seen her and her husband since last New Year's, which we spent with them in Montréal (as celebration of my birthday, really). I only got to see them for a few hours this weekend, as she hosted dinner for me and two couples of mutual friends: my sis- and bro-in-law (with their one-year-old) and another couple (with their four-month-old).

I really, really, really miss my friends.

*cheers*

I really, really, really miss my friends.

*cheers*

Cheers, Leleboo!

I'm drinking cinnamon-y egg nog (sorry, Hersch) spiked with rum and whiskey while decorating the tree and getting excited about seeing so many loved ones over the season. And then fleeing to Ethiopia the moment it's all over.