What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

Experimenting with a homemade ginger liqueur. Even though the ginger that went into it was searingly biting, the liqueur itself has ginger flavor, but much less bite. Mixed into a drink with Don Q Cristal, lime, simple, and mint, it isn't quite lost, but is sort of an - I wonder what that is? - flavor in the background. I was going for a Tom's gingermint toothpaste mojito. It's quite pleasant, but I'll try something else tomorrow to try to showcase the ginger.

Gin and tonic with Hendricks and Fever Tree, a squeeze of lime juice and thinly sliced cucumber. I know you're not supposed to use lime with this, but I like lime :). It also helps mask the flavor of the suddenly (puzzlingly) off-tasting ice cubes from our ice maker. Nice drink for a hot 3rd of July.

It also helps mask the flavor of the suddenly (puzzlingly) off-tasting ice cubes from our ice maker. Nice drink for a hot 3rd of July.

Let me know when you figure that out. Mine aren't great either. I've heard the line can get nasty over time?

Dry Creek Sangiovese from Peterson winery. Yum yum.

Ridge York Creek 1981 Cabernet which was quite yummy. Very lively and incredible texture in the mouth. Still has good life in front of it!

Opening a rosso Toscana 1999 from Cerbaiona {Diego Molinari}, a great Brunello producer.

Wine dinner at home with friends:

1996 Laurent-Perrier Champagne - almonds, yeasty, green apple with some pear. Crisp and exciting. A great start.

2007 Linden Avenius Chardonnay - All tasted blind but me. "Chardonnay acting like a Sauvignon Blanc, Chablis?", Both comments right on. Steely and mineral, crisp tree fruit, lengthy clear finish.

2009 Glen Manor Hodder Hill barrel sample blend - main reason for get together, 63% CS, 27% Merlot, 5% CF, 5% PV, group comments: blue and black berries, judicious amount of toasty oak, good length of fruit flavor and tannic structure. Now ready to assemble the blend.

2005 Chateau De Barbe Blanche, Saint Emilion - 65% Merlot, 25% CF, 10% CS, soft and fleshy, aroma quite similar to GMHH, very supple sweet velvety tannins.

2005 Girard Artistry Napa Valley - 54% CS, 22% CF, 14% PV, 9% Malbec,1% Merlot, Robust and tannic, heat, loads of red fruit but needs 10 more years.

2000 Brunello Di Montalcino - complex and layered, raisons, leather, stewed stones fruits, with refreshing acidity especially at this point in the evening.

2002 Huber Eiswein Austria - 100% Riesling, very crisp acidity and minerally with sweet apples, pears and apricots, quite long lasting. 1 bottle to go...in a few more years.

Gatorade cut with water

My first 14er today; Gray's Peak, Colorado

Tomorrow's beverage? Gallons of liquid Aleve :)

Congratulations! I've only done ten milers, but have ambitions for a half-marathon at some point. As to the Aleve, you may want to read this article the coach of our running club sent us last year. It's about ibuprofen, but the findings are supposedly applicable to all NSAIDS. Most of us found it really shocking, especially me, who had been previously advised by my doctor to use Naprosyn. Run safely! :D

Congratulations! I've only done ten milers, but have ambitions for a half-marathon at some point. As to the Aleve, you may want to read this article the coach of our running club sent us last year. It's about ibuprofen, but the findings are supposedly applicable to all NSAIDS. Most of us found it really shocking, especially me, who had been previously advised by my doctor to use Naprosyn. Run safely! :)

Thanks for the note and the article. Pain killers of any kind rarely make it into my system, but I'd make an exception for the delayed onset soreness I'm anticipating (but has not hit yet, w00t!).

Yesterday was a hike, not a run this time. A "14er" is Denver-speak for a 14,000ft summit. Pics can't do it justice, but here's one from yesterday's 6-hour trek. I did see a half-dozen people running this trail, must have been ultramarathoners, amazing.

Drinking, drinking, what am I drinking...water!

post-5654-127997792786_thumb.jpg

Yesterday was a hike, not a run this time. A "14er" is Denver-speak for a 14,000ft summit. Pics can't do it justice, but here's one from yesterday's 6-hour trek. I did see a half-dozen people running this trail, must have been ultramarathoners, amazing.

Now I'm even more impressed! I actually was a little altitude sick in Denver. :) Too many generations of Floridians.

Wow, are people observing a period of sobriety? :(

It's probably just the heat. :) 2009 Cave L'Aurance Mâcon Villages. I'm on a mission to find a white I like. I've got a Pinot Blanc and another Alsatian wine whose name I can't recall in line.

Victory Old Horizontal Barleywine style Ale.

Although the site states available in December and January, the WF Tyson's Corner sold this in individual bottles ($2.59) last week. So, either really old beer or they are releasing early. It doesn't matter because this is GOOD stuff! Nice, warm, rich tones, with a hint of barleywine and an ever gentle hint of hops after a swig. Pairs nicely with some soft cheeses. Mmm.

Edited to add: well, as usual, hops flavor starts bolding when the beer warms up a bit. Still like it, but Nuts.

Edited by goodeats

It's probably just the heat. :( 2009 Cave L'Aurance Mâcon Villages. I'm on a mission to find a white I like. I've got a Pinot Blanc and another Alsatian wine whose name I can't recall in line.

I had an outstanding Alsatian pinot gris last night at my blind tasting group. Of course I neglected to write the name of the winemaker down, but I need to find out and can share with you if you're interested once I do. It was incredibly aromatic and we all just sat around the table oohing and aahing as we continued to inhale it.

Playing around with Bittermens Boston Bittahs from My Main Man Avery Glasser. They are a citrus/chamomile bitter sold in a dropper bottle, and they are awesome. Thus far, the most successful use chez me has been this one, which I'll self-indulgently call The Buchholz: 1.5oz Plymouth gin, 1.25oz Dolin dry vermouth (full disclosure: I sell it), 0.25oz Dolin blanc vermouth (full discl-yaddayaddayadda), 8 drops Boston Bittahs. Stir/strain, then twist/discard an orange peel. The same drink made with proportions 1.5/1/0.5/9 drops was slightly less successful, though still eminently drinkable.

I had an outstanding Alsatian pinot gris last night at my blind tasting group. Of course I neglected to write the name of the winemaker down, but I need to find out and can share with you if you're interested once I do. It was incredibly aromatic and we all just sat around the table oohing and aahing as we continued to inhale it.

Please do share. :( Right now I'm drinking a white 2009 Domaine Grand Veneur Réserve Côtes du Rhône, and it's pretty good. I also want to give Torrontes another try, so if someone has a suggestion for that varietal, I'd love to hear it.

Please do share. :( Right now I'm drinking a white 2009 Domaine Grand Veneur Réserve Côtes du Rhône, and it's pretty good. I also want to give Torrontes another try, so if someone has a suggestion for that varietal, I'd love to hear it.

It's the 2007 Sipp Mack Reserve Pinot Gris, distributed by Bacchus. No idea if anyone carries it in this area and even having trouble finding prices online, but if the few I'm seeing are correct, it's an absolute bargain at under $20 per bottle.

ETA: Just ordered a few bottles at Corridor in Laurel today. Wholesale was $15 and change, they are charging me $19.99/bottle. Really good QPR in my opinion.

It's the 2007 Sipp Mack Reserve Pinot Gris, distributed by Bacchus. No idea if anyone carries it in this area and even having trouble finding prices online, but if the few I'm seeing are correct, it's an absolute bargain at under $20 per bottle.

ETA: Just ordered a few bottles at Corridor in Laurel today. Wholesale was $15 and change, they are charging me $19.99/bottle. Really good QPR in my opinion.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll keep an eye out for it.

Right now I'm drinking a Cloudy Sky made with homemade Damson gin and Ginger People ginger beer. This is a well-balanced, interesting, refreshing summer cocktail, and one that I will make again.

Continuing on the white wine quest, Bodegas Esmeralda 2009 Tilia Torrontés. Not bad. Viognier-ish. I think I'll probably finish this one. I also tried something from Alsace over the weekend, and then made a note to self not to buy on impulse at Trader Joe's.

2007 Glen Manor Hodder Hill. It is a very smooth blend and subtle. I really like the finish on this bottle. But I can't wait when Petit Verdot is ready; I really feel like the little 15% of it shines through (not that I have actually tasted this grape, but the discussion with Jeff about this type of grape makes me feel like that is what sparkles).

Something and anything. After a great drinking session at the Shirlington Oktoberfest, I returned home to find perfectly (previously) lovely pork bones from The Butcher Shop at the Westover Market gone south because I forgotten to put them in the freezer from the fridge (it's been 8days). Arg. Total stupidity. Total fail. :x

Two recents: Barboursville Viognier Reserve 2008. Just lovely, and made me wish I had more cash in my wine budget for everyday wines.

Château de Lancyre Pic Saint-Loup, La Coste D'Aleyrac 2005. This one got mixed reviews, but I enjoyed it. Fruity and spicy.

Bodegas Bilbaínas Viña Zaco Tempranillo 2006. I love Riojas and wish I had been smart enough to buy a case of this when I had the chance. This one is lovely even without accompanying food, but did need decanting. Fruit, tobacco, earth, just delicious.

Wugonglaojiu, a yellow rice wine from Suzhou, aged 8 years. Apparently it's the customary complement to hairy crab, when in Wujiang.

We also seem to have been treated to pufferfish soup, which I only realized much later having failed to recognize its local Chinese name. Maybe I can blame that on the wine too...

Wugonglaojiu, a yellow rice wine from Suzhou, aged 8 years. Apparently it's the customary complement to hairy crab, when in Wujiang.

There is actually another aged brew complementary to hairy crab, but am also thinking about famous snake brew. Then again, fuzzy memory sort of recalls something with snake + yellow rice wine. Will do some digging one of these days.