What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

1995 Pinot Bianco "Vigne dal Leon" Tulio Zamo. An odd wine held in vitrified concrete for long periods and then bottled recently. Quite complex with a combination of oaged and fresh characteristics.

2001 Ribolla Gialla "Amphora" Josko Gravner. What can I say, my favorite wine right now. SPice, coffee, fruit, all in an elegant package.

2003 Naima Aglianico di Pastum de Concillus Huge red loaded with fruit and spice with a rough tannic undertone.

I really don't think it would be appropriate to start a new thread with this query, but I was given four bottles of "Brown Estate 2004 Chiles Valley Zinfandel". I am not much of a red wine drinker and am wondering if anyone knows about this wine and what you think about it?

Hey TJ, you are supposed to save a bottle of that for me to try.

Last night before, with, and after dinner of shrimp and asparagas in red curry sauce, couscous, asian slaw, and a salad. (Not in this order)

2003 Tabor Hill Gewürztraminer Traminette

2003 WesMar Pinot Noir RRV

2002 Martinelli Bella Vigna PN

1998 Peter Lehmann Shiraz "The Barossa"

re you refering the 2001 Ribolla Gialla Anfora ?
Yep

I also have one bottle left of the 2000 breg. We will have the 2001 Anfora Breg within a month.

We carry the Lispida Tocai Amphora 2001, and Due Terre Merlot and Sacrisassi Bianco as well. We are really trying to set back winemaking to pre technology days!

Hey TJ, you are supposed to save a bottle of that for me to try.

Last night before, with, and after dinner of shrimp and asparagas in red curry sauce, couscous, asian slaw, and a salad. (Not in this order)

2003 Tabor Hill Gewürztraminer Traminette

2003 WesMar Pinot Noir RRV

2002 Martinelli Bella Vigna PN

1998 Peter Lehmann Shiraz "The Barossa"

2002. It is WAY TOO EARLY to be drinking this IMO. I'll pull a bottle out for a Crü event in maybe 2 years.

A little help please.....

What is the appropriate drink to have when you've been searching your house for an hour for a set of keys that you really really really need and YOU CAN'T FREAKIN' FIND THEM DAMMIT!

AGGGH!

Something a little more potent than wine. I think I would go with something in the whiskey family.

A little help please.....

What is the appropriate drink to have when you've been searching your house for an hour for a set of keys that you really really really need and YOU CAN'T FREAKIN' FIND THEM DAMMIT!

AGGGH!

Grappa.... That way you won't care if you find them.... or even recognize them!

Okay; laugh if you will. But, tonight we had a really delicious wine from New York State. We opened a bottle of 2002 Red Newt Syrah that we had picked up during our frequent detours to the Finger Lakes Region on our way from DC to the family homestead in Buffalo. Let me tell you, it was delicious! Unlike the heavy Australian syrahs and the pretentious ones from California, this was done in a very European style, with clarity, freshness, sharpness, and depth. Great fruit, nice balance, no heaviness, and just enough acid. I don't recall what we paid for it (although in general the better NYState wines, like the Virginia wines, are horrendously overpriced) but it was quite satisfactory.

I have a question about how long an opened bottle of white wine will keep in the fridge? Especially with the newer screwcaps. Since I am the only white wine drinker in my house, I am curious because sometimes it takes a while to get through a bottle.

While watching 4 episodes of 6 Feet Under Season 5----

Murray McDavid Clynlish

Murray McDavid Bruchlaiddich

Poli Grappa di Traminer

I'm not saying that is was depressing or shocking or riveting or anything... but somehow we just kept on puring ourselves stiff shots!

Okay; laugh if you will. But, tonight we had a really delicious wine from New York State. We opened a bottle of 2002 Red Newt Syrah that we had picked up during our frequent detours to the Finger Lakes Region on our way from DC to the family homestead in Buffalo.

Mwahahahaha!

But seriously, and maybe I need to start another thread on Intrepid Traveller, but have you dined at Red Newt or any of the other places on the east side of Seneca lake? There is some good food there! Of all the wines in that area I probably like Shalestone best ("Red is all we do"). There's also a brewery up there somewhere, but I forgot the name.

Mwahahahaha!

But seriously, and maybe I need to start another thread on Intrepid Traveller, but have you dined at Red Newt or any of the other places on the east side of Seneca lake? There is some good food there! Of all the wines in that area I probably like Shalestone best ("Red is all we do"). There's also a brewery up there somewhere, but I forgot the name.

We like Shalestone, too, and the owner is a hoot. On the east side of the lake, we have had the best luck with wines from Standing Stone, Red Newt, and Lamoreaux Landing; we haven't tried it yet, but Chateau Lafayette Reneau gets some good buzz. If you venture to the west side, Konstantin Frank has some decent wines and, if you are lucky and the place isn't crowded, VERY generous pours. Like I mentioned, the NYS wines tend to be overpriced for the quality, but occassionally you can find a standout. I will PM you on some eating suggestions so this stays on topic.

Had a decent summer wine tonight. Our local Super Fresh market had a Nyakas Cellars (Hungary) muller thurgau on sale for $10 that I thought might go with the horseradish-ginger marinated grilled halibut we were planning to cook. Indeed, it went quite nicely. Good fruit, balanced, with just enough acid. Definitely more interesting than equivalently-priced sauvignon blancs and pinot grigios. Nice summer food wine for lighter dishes and lighter budgets.

On the other hand, Saturday we stopped at Ace to take advantage of Joe's rose sale and picked up a mixed case of 12 different bottles. It will be fun working our way through them over the next month. The first opening, a Domaine Aubert La Chapelle, Coteaux du Loir 2005, was delicious, with a subtle hint of rasberries and cherries. It went down much too easily.

2002 Dirler Riesling Spiegel. Crisp, lots of apple and citrus and minerals.

Served it with grilled shrimp, grilled asparagus spears wrapped in prosciutto with aged Gouda, asian slaw and cantalope. (Hey I'm dieting, give me a break)

Four Roses "Finest Single Barrel Reserve" bourbon, the abortive, early-'90s domestic premium release from Four Roses (whose primary market is Japan). There is a more recent single barrel line for the domestic market, labeled "Four Roses Single Barrel," but it's available only in Kentucky. If you find it, buy it.

2000 Dal Forno Valpolicella, 2001 Fox Creek Reserve, 2001 Rust en Vrede Estate, J. Bookwalter Lot #18, 1999 BV Rutherford, 2003 Altos de Luzon....

A neighborhood "indulgence" last night with bottles of "descending character" that I opened...

I forgot Sunday night's debauchery at Matisse.

04 Mischief and Mayhem Meursault

04 Mischief and Mayhem Puligny Montrachet

04 Mischief and Mayhem Puligny “Garenne”

04 Mischief and Mayhem Meursault “Geneveriers”

05 Two Hands Yesterday’s Hero Grenache

05 Two Hands Brave Faces Shiraz/Grenache

04 Two Hands Bull + Bear Shiraz/Cabernet

04 Two Hands Bellas Garden Barossa Shiraz

04 Two Hands Lilly’s Garden McLaren Vale Shiraz

04 Two Hands Harry & Edwards Langhorne Creek Shiraz

04 Two Hands Aerope Grenache

04 Two Hands Ares Shiraz

04 Two Hands Aphrodite Cabernet

05 Unpredictable Lad Vin del Paille

The final three Two Hands wines were beautiful wines, but will not be released until December. Specifically the Aphrodite was an astonishing wine, with only six barrels being produced. The crew at Matisse made these wine’s shine with dishes that matched brilliantly (with dessert being the one exception where the dish outshone the sickly sweet wine).

I love this wine. 2004 Il Circo: Erbaluce di Caluso "La Funambola" Now where can I buy some to drink at home? I was introduced to its deliciousness by Chris @ Dino.

Its imported by Bonny Doon. In actuality we don't carry it but are going to bring in the Erbaluce from Luigi Ferrando (I have his 2001 Carema white label and his 2000 black labes is on the way). Erbaluce is an almost extinct white from Piemonte that has been overshadowd by the popularity of Cortese (Gavi). Sorta like American Idol being watched by more people than have ever heard of Luciano Pavarotti. In any case, the Luigi Ferrando is even more flavorful and bracing than the Il Circolo. Calvert wopodley had the Il Circolo and may yet have it.

Bruichladdich, 15-year-old "Second Edition," finished for 26 weeks in Yquem casks. What's so noteworthy about this malt is that the wine does not obtrude much; rather, it dances around the edge of the tongue while letting the sublime malt and balanced peat rhumba across the palate. Spectacular!

That's the one. I have found it online for $17-18. Calvert-Woodley had it, they said, but were out when I asked for it. Instead I bought a different Erbaluce (2004 La Rustia?). *sigh* Just not the same. Not even close.

Its imported by Bonny Doon. In actuality we don't carry it but are going to bring in the Erbaluce from Luigi Ferrando (I have his 2001 Carema white label and his 2000 black labes is on the way). Erbaluce is an almost extinct white from Piemonte that has been overshadowd by the popularity of Cortese (Gavi). Sorta like American Idol being watched by more people than have ever heard of Luciano Pavarotti. In any case, the Luigi Ferrando is even more flavorful and bracing than the Il Circolo. Calvert wopodley had the Il Circolo and may yet have it.

Does Alize go bad? I mean, it wasn't great to start (ZING!!) but I mean from a rancidity standpoint. Assume it was refridgerated. It DID depressurize when I opened it, and fizzed a little. Does it fizz?

Eh, it probably won't survive the 'moving cull' anyway...

Dude, you missed your best cull opportunity already. Though that one might've had to be mixed with the pepper wine.
Eh, it was open, and it's old...have moved it at least twice. It's not like I drink this stuff! Plus I couldn't roll up to the picnic with a bottle of open Alize. Reminds me: I'm asking for a friend.... :unsure:

--Matt

Eating a frozen dinner, drinking a 'purloined' High Life. Moving night!