Beer Selection at Giant and Safeway

DonRocks

My freshman year of college was spent in Lexington, VA around the same time that Colders 29 was released. This stuff was absurdly cheap and one of our frat brothers had a running account at Lex Vegas liquor store. His parents had it billed to their house each month. Gives you an idea why I transferred schools.

At Mary Washington, the beers of choice were beast lite and Mickey's stingers. These were dark times. I tried a Shaeffer a few months ago and barely got a swig down.

Now our cheap beer is Dominion. Good stuff varies by the season. We are heading into the Octoberfest season of beers and then it's just around the corner to the holiday heavy ales.

Dude, Coors lite sucks too.

Doesn't say much for Dominion Lager, does it. I'm not saying it's better; I'm saying it's less worse, and within the 7-11 genre (i.e., Club Soda Flavored With Camel Piss), I think Coors Light is one of the least offensive options.

Yeah, after not having tried the stuff for quite a while, I had somehow gotten the idea stuck in my head that it was reasonably drinkable. A recent purchase proved me wrong. Fortunately when the temperature climbs into the 90s I don't give a crap what it tastes like, as long as it's cold and wet, so I should be able to work through the rest of it over the next couple of days. Gotta start taking notes...

I had my first Coors Light this weekend at our belated 4th of July barbecue. It was served very cold, which should have been ideal in the 120-degree heat, but it was odious, tasting only like slightly sour, lightly carbonated water. I couldn't finish the whole can--certainly not after the ten minutes it took for it to get lukewarm. So I discreetly slipped it into the trash can and switched to rum and tonics. Mmmm.... Much better.

In 1970, Duke Draft from Duquesne Brewing Co in Pittsburgh, was available at a country store on the Fauquier/Prince William line which did not card my friend Robin G_____, perhaps because though only 17 and baby-faced, he was about 6' 8" tall....

a sixer cost 99 cents, with VA sales tax of (IIRC) 4% at the time the total was $1.03, which happened to be 3 cents more than we had from pooling our lunch money. Which, you know, if you're not smart enough to find during the course of a school day, you shouldn't be drinking.

When I was a kid growing up in Wisconsin, it was Huber. There was a fishing/outdoor show where the host would say at the end, "and don't forget your Huber Beer". They made a bunch of other labels like Rhinelander. It was cheap and not bad cold, and it didn't matter what it tasted like, especially when the fish were biting. Ah youth.

So far, no mention of Schmidt's, which was cheap and had a slightly sweet flavor. This was an option for poor PA college students in the '70s and earlier. Schmidt's also had a lesser (how low can you go?) brand that was once and independent brewery -- Valley Forge. If you really needed to economize, you would go for the VF in returnables, assuming you had enough cash on hand to buy a case.

Palace of Wonders serves Micky's (it's a freakshow theamed bar,go figure). The "big mouth" helped to get it down quick. In Georgia there was Stag beer ( yes it had a ten point buck on the label) four of us had to pool our lunch money but, we could get a pack of smokes too ;) I think the grand total was about $4.79. It tasted like summer days, 17 year old chicks and a 1976 Buick..........

Palace of Wonders serves Micky's (it's a freakshow theamed bar,go figure).

Last time I was there, it was to see Corn Mo, and the drink special of the night was a "Corn Mo-Mosa": a mimosa made with mickey's instead of champagne. It was quite a night.

Lonestar is my personal pick for worst beer ever. When I'm back in Texas, I'll occasionally succumb to the $1.50 pricetag at a bar. It's hard to argue with the price, despite how nasty the stuff is.

Old Dominion Lager = Club Soda Seasoned With Dried Caterpillar Fur

Old Dominion beer is center-of-the-earth bad: it has gone to Hell and it didn't even bother taking the handbasket.

Sam Adams and Dominion Lager were still good ten years ago. Now they're not much better than Michelob, any more than Vie de France is better than shithole Taco Bell.

Note in particular to Old Dominion Brewing Company: you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

After writing these glowing reviews of Dominion why would you have even bothered?

I miss some of their more decent beers they killed when they got bought out...

There were a few of their Christmas beers that I thought were really great. An imperial pilsner and a baltic porter if I remember correctly. I think they changed the recipe of the imperial pilsner the second time they released it and I definitely preferred it the first time. I also really like how their ale admits that it is just a copy of Bass, and they had another one (possibly also a christmas release?) that was a straight up copy of Sierra Christmas ale.

On 2/17/2006 at 9:44 PM, DonRocks said:

Pilsner Urquell = Fermented Skunk Piss

Old Dominion Lager = Club Soda Seasoned With Dried Caterpillar Fur

Bass Ale = Caramel-Colored Rhineroceros Nostril Juice

Sam Adams = 55-Year-Old Malted Milk Ball Shat Out Of Godzilla's Ass

Corona = Watered-Down Drippings of Infected Chihuahua Penis

Heineken = Diluted Pilsner Urquell Mixed With Giraffe Spit

Yuengling = Semi-Clear Liquid Extracted From Yak Colon During Stressful Bout Of Diarrhea

Remember when I always used to write things like, “Remember this post 20 years from now?”

We’re two years away …

… and nobody - nobody - has ever called me out on the Rhinoceros misspelling.

image.jpeg

• Like 2