Ferhat Yalcin

Ravi Kabob I and II, Pakistani in Arlington - Springfield Location is Now Karahi Kabob House

A friend of mine has been telling me that I should definitely try this place located in Arlington on the N Glebe road while driving up to Ballston on the right hand side next to a Suntrust bank.(enough directions?)
this is a place which you wont expect alot. there is no ambiance no decor there is no nothing but chairs , tables and the counter where you order your food.
The prices are cheaper if you compare to Moby Dicks but you get the same amount of food .
Now that Im Turkish , call it eather Middle east or Europe I dont care , we have good kabobs in Turkey. As a matter of fact those Turkish restaurants that claim their kabobs are good , they are nothing comparable to the ones in Turkey.
What Im saying is I know a good kabob and the best ones.
I ordered the lamb chops because my friend told me everytime he orders those, and my companion ordered the Ravi kabob special. Both meals are served with homemade pita (I think better than MDicks) with salad , rice and chick peas, and some yogurt sauce. yogurt sauce is not that good, its just ok .
Ravi special is chicken kabob and ground beef kabob combined. but this chicken is the most tender and moist and flavorful chicken ever as a kabob. I havent eaten a better chicken kabob in United States. Lamb chops were great also but alittle oversalted , but hey , who gives a damn. I`ll keep going to this place just for the chicken kabobs.
There is not much else to say, total check was 26$ including 2 bottled drinks.

Sthitch   

I love Ravi. I particularly like any of the ground meat Kabobs, they are generally very well seasoned.

Last week I noticed that there is a new store front on the other side of the street (a bit closer to Rt. 50) with a sign in the window saying something along the lines of "Coming Soon Ravi Kabob", so I take it they are moving soon.

Joe H   

Maybe after my wife and I went there this evening. I've been before and for the last several weeks we've been on a kebob kick with stops at Reston Kebob (Afghanistan) (which we have become totally addicted to-far superior to our first visit, the last ten have been outstanding), Shamshiry, Amoo's, Kebob Bazaar, Moby Dick, Simply Grill and a few others. Ravi is a nondescript, cramped Pakistani storefront with barely enough room to wedge between a soft drink cooler and the register to order. All kebobs are cooked to order which means 15+ minutes.

They are worth it.

Succulent, flavorful, juicy, meaty and served with an excellent house made yogurt. Chickpeas are ladled on top of the rice (only one scoop of each) with dry salad and hot, very fluffy nan. Vegetables here are very good. But the real star are the various kebobs including both boneless and bone in chicken and a number of others.

There are actually two Ravi's, one a new restaurant diagonally across the street. This evening, at 6:00PM, only the original was open however. At 6:30 Ravi's had a line out the door-it is enormously popular with a large following.

Shamshiry continues to have the best rice with Amoo's second (owned by a relative of Shamshiry's owner); Simply Grill has an excellent vegetable kebob and the best homemade hot sauce of all of these. The hottest sauce of any is the thick, green sauce at Reston Kebob which, along with housemade yogurt, is a perfect compliment to excellent kebobs. Moby's, of course, is very good along with excellent hummus

Over the years I've probably been to every decent kebob house in the D. C. area it seems. Sorrento in Herndon comes to mind as a particularly good one also. I am not a big fan of the several kebob houses in Crystal City however. Ravi probably stands at the top for their chicken kebobs. Overall, I think Shamshiry is still the best.

Don't sell Ravi Kabob in Arlington short. News flash: They've either opened, or are just about to open, another Ravi Kabab right across Glebe Road (catacorner, to be precise). They're not closing the first one, either.

it was june 10th when I first tried that new Ravi across the old place. I brought some friends with me and we were the only people in the house besides the three cooks , cashier and the owner. I had a short chat with the owner and said congrats.

couple days later another friend of mine told me that the new place is not open yet because when he arrived no one was there so he had to go to the old place.

the owner also mentioned that he is aiming more families than individuals in the new place.

Wow! Why I have never been here before? Jlock and I stopped by after consulting the Washingtonian cheap eats list we keep in the backseat in case we find ourselves hungry in the suburbs, and we were incredibly impressed. We wanted to try the bone-in chicken kabob, the lamb karahi, and the chickpeas that were recommended. The only problem was that the kahari is for two. They tried to convince us that it was way too much food for the two of us as they both came with bread and salad (and the karahi comes with bread and salad for 2). But, we decided we could always take some of it home. As we sat in the dingy seating area, this amazing smell grew and grew behind the counter. After some time, our food was ready for pickup, and they were right. There was a ton of it!

Then we started eating, and we just couldn't stop. The chicken kabob was some of the best textured chicken that I have ever had - and the flavor was amazing. They had made a mistake with our karahi order and given us chicken instead of lamb, which left us with a ton of chicken. But, it was so good! The chickpeas, although the most mild of everything, were extremely flavorful. The bread was great, the sauce was great, the rice was wonderful; everything was just amazing. In the end, we ate every single bite, and started calling family members on the way home to tell them how great it was. All for under $25.

DPop   

In Arlington, there are a handful places that one really must try if living in the DC area. Ravi is one of them.

While I have never tried a bad dish at the place, the stars of the show are the Kabob Karahi and the boneless tandoori chicken breasts. The Karahi sits in an incredibly flavorful dark gravy permeates so well into the slow-cooked, soft kabob, which should always be eaten in a big scoop in one of their delicious naans. The chicken is a more subtle dish but just as satisfying, as the chicken is as moist as you will find outside of Pollo Rico.

Other great dishes include the lamb kabob, the chicken tikka, the chole (chickpeas), and the veggie samosas done Pakistani style (yogurt, chole, and onions all mixed together in a bowl).

Never had a bad meal at Ravi, although the service on its best day would be described as "surly" and the space could be much cleaner.

Ravi kabob is the best authentic pakistani kabob house in the area. I eat there 2x a week, and glad there are others who appreciate good eatin'. Just want to point out to readers, that while many confuse indian,pakistani,and afgan restaurants...Ravi is strictly pakistani. The karhai is a speciality of punjab i.e. Lahore,Pakistan and the chick peas variation is also very common in pakistan.. I have tried kabob palace in arlington and other kabob houses, none have the consistent quality and flavor of ravi..

most of the indian restaurant i frequent are very good w/ lentils, veggie dishes like 'palak paneer' but when it comes to lamb,chicken,beef curries, i think ravi has them beat..

can't wait to go there next week.. bon appetite folks!

dcfoodlover.

beezy   

At one point, I went on a tasting tour of DC Kabob. Ravi is by far the best all around, best chole too.

Word to the wise: if you want to eat there on Saturday afternoon, call ahead and get to go - you can't get a seat.

Sthitch   
Never had a bad meal at Ravi, although the service on its best day would be described as "surly"
I would agree with your assessment about the older location, but the two head guys at the new location are incredibly nice and helpful. I have come to the conclusion that I go more for the chickpeas than for the kabobs (which are still amazing). Just a bit of advice, if you go on Eid ul Adha expect a long wait for your food (you have another year until you have to worry about making the same mistake I did), but the wait was well worth it.

Demvtr   

My fiancée and I had dinner at Ravi Kabob last night. I had the punjabi curry, which featured pakora swimming in a creamy, spicy, but oddly flavorless sauce. Not bad, but not good enough to get again. The side of chickpeas was outstanding, and the naan was very, very good, though not amazing. The samosa we started with were surprisingly spicy, which I appreciated, though they had obviously been reheated and had a somewhat unpleasant chewy texture.

The experience was sullied by something I saw in the kitchen area. As noted above, I ordered the punjabi curry, a vegetarian entree. When my plate was brought to my table, the entree I had been presented with was some sort of curry with meat in it. I anticipated that this would happen, as I saw the guy in the kitchen ladle out of a different buffet tray than where I knew the punjabi curry to be. I didn't say anything because I couldn't be sure that the plate in question was definitely my order. So when the plate was, in fact, set down in front of me, I sent it back. The server picked up the plate, took it back to the front of the store, handed it over the counter to the guy in the kitchen, and the guy in the kitchen proceeded to dump the uneaten meat curry back into the serving buffet! I suspect, though I don't know, that this is impermissible under the relevant health code, and such casual disregard (or simple ignorance) of the health code is enough to prevent me from returning.

DonRocks   
most of the indian restaurant i frequent are very good w/ lentils, veggie dishes like 'palak paneer' but when it comes to lamb,chicken,beef curries, i think ravi has them beat..

When most people are trashed, they walk into 7-11 for a burrito. Me? I end up with a Ravi Kabob Mughaz Masala for two ($16.99). This is a dish of chopped-up lamb brain, served in a complex, spicy masala gravy with plenty of tandoor bread for dunking and soaking.

The question "Where do I get brain?" is usually followed by the answer Bistro d'Oc, which serves it in a classic meuniere preparation. But I tell you: This is a whole 'nother level of cuisine. It's a must-try and a fantastic dish that, in it's own way, reminds me of something Peter Chang might have done at China Star in his heyday. I know it's a stretch to be reaching over to Szechuan here, but try it and you'll see what I mean.

Ravi Kabob is incredible.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I'm addicted to their rice pudding - can't figure out the spices (cardamon?) but I love it. Not as dense as what I'm used to, but it's light and a perfect cooler after some of the spicier items there.

DPop   

This past weekend my (new) wife and I had our wedding catered by Ravi Kabob, ordering food to serve 150. What arrived was enough samosas, chole, naan, rice, salad, gulab jamun, kabob karahi, and boneless chicken to feed 250 people. I know I'm biased here, but our guests were absolutely thrilled by the offering and I can say that I have not had better food at a catered event.

For less than $20/person and free delivery to the site over 45 minutes away, we couldn't have been happier with the food on our special day. Thanks Ravi!

This past weekend my (new) wife and I had our wedding catered by Ravi Kabob, ordering food to serve 150. What arrived was enough samosas, chole, naan, rice, salad, gulab jamun, kabob karahi, and boneless chicken to feed 250 people. I know I'm biased here, but our guests were absolutely thrilled by the offering and I can say that I have not had better food at a catered event.

For less than $20/person and free delivery to the site over 45 minutes away, we couldn't have been happier with the food on our special day. Thanks Ravi!

Congratulations!

"Two Bread To Go!!" Music to my ears when I hear that and my order is filled. I can never seem to resist throwing on a samosa or two either. This place is so consistently good, I just never have any interest in exploring the other Kebab options in Arlington.

Ravi kabob is the best authentic pakistani kabob house in the area. I eat there 2x a week, and glad there are others who appreciate good eatin'. Just want to point out to readers, that while many confuse indian,pakistani,and afgan restaurants...Ravi is strictly pakistani. The karhai is a speciality of punjab i.e. Lahore,Pakistan and the chick peas variation is also very common in pakistan.. I have tried kabob palace in arlington and other kabob houses, none have the consistent quality and flavor of ravi.

How are the seekh kabobs? I stopped by for the first time last week and ordered only the lamb. Definitely some of the most tender kabobs I've had in a while. And yeah, the chickpeas were superb too.

Best Pakistani food I've ever had remains Shalimar in San Francisco.

How are the seekh kabobs? I stopped by for the first time last week and ordered only the lamb. Definitely some of the most tender kabobs I've had in a while. And yeah, the chickpeas were superb too.

Best Pakistani food I've ever had remains Shalimar in San Francisco.

the seekh kebabs are really awesome. when i lived in ballston i used to eat ravi at least 3 times a month. i always had trouble choosing between the seekh and the lamb chops.

i can't give enough love for either.

I totally agree with the previous postings: Ravi's Kabob House rules! This is coming from a South Asian cuisine connoisseur... I love the food with such a passion that people have told me that in my previous life, I must have been an Indian.

That said, I would highly recommend going to specifically Ravi's Kabob House TWO. Not only is the decor relatively upscale, there is an abundance of light and more parking. I absolutely concur with Sthitch that the service is warm and helpful, and the head chef, Walter, is an absolute talent. Walter and his staff are equally adept when things are quiet or totally crowded.

The veggie curry, especially the zucchini, are perfect accompaniment to the kabobs and naan--or by themselves for vegetarians! Walter and his staff know how to just perfectly bring out the natural sweetness of the veggies and add that nice hit of clove... I'm getting hungry :D

Nowadays, I only go to Ravi's Kabob House 2. While I like the chicken curry and may want to go with something else for a change, I can't help but order our (me and mom) usual of bone-in and boneless chicken kabobs. I would suggest asking for the bread first, that way you can savor it in all its heavenly hot, crisp, and soft glory!

Having been to (and eating out, of course :P) in London, I can honestly say that even a deli run by a South Asian has better food than most restaurants in the DC-area (and we're probably one of the best cities for South Asian cuisine in the U.S.!). After returning from London, there are only two South Asian restaurants that still stands out:

- Ravi's Kabob House 2 for kabobs (and veggie curries)

- Passage to India for curries (and the best rice pudding)

Namaste/Namaskar!

Sthitch   
Vineet Bhatia...

Quite a stunning dining experience, I wish that there was an Indian restaurant on this side of the Atlantic that could match it.

A friend of mine has been telling me that I should definitely try this place located in Arlington on the N Glebe road while driving up to Ballston on the right hand side next to a Suntrust bank.(enough directions?)

this is a place which you wont expect alot. there is no ambiance no decor there is no nothing but chairs , tables and the counter where you order your food.

The prices are cheaper if you compare to Moby Dicks but you get the same amount of food .

Now that Im Turkish , call it eather Middle east or Europe I dont care , we have good kabobs in Turkey. As a matter of fact those Turkish restaurants that claim their kabobs are good , they are nothing comparable to the ones in Turkey.

What Im saying is I know a good kabob and the best ones.

I ordered the lamb chops because my friend told me everytime he orders those, and my companion ordered the Ravi kabob special. Both meals are served with homemade pita (I think better than MDicks) with salad , rice and chick peas, and some yogurt sauce. yogurt sauce is not that good, its just ok .

Ravi special is chicken kabob and ground beef kabob combined. but this chicken is the most tender and moist and flavorful chicken ever as a kabob. I havent eaten a better chicken kabob in United States. Lamb chops were great also but alittle oversalted , but hey , who gives a damn. I`ll keep going to this place just for the chicken kabobs.

There is not much else to say, total check was 26$ including 2 bottled drinks.

Probably the best kabobs I've had in this area. Amazing.

xdcx   

went there this past weekend and they had signs up for a grand opening for a third location at 7050 Sping Garden Drive in Springfield.

mdt   
went there this past weekend and they had signs up for a grand opening for a third location at 7050 Spring Garden Drive in Springfield.

Isn't there already a kabob place in that shopping center?