Dining in Springfield

1 hour ago, dracisk said:

I don't know my Springfield geography at all, but I was surprised to find out that Afghan Bistro and The Swiss Bakery (in the Ravenswood Shopping Center), while both in Springfield, were 15 minutes apart from each other and involved driving on highways.

Well, technically, I consider the Swiss Bakery in Ravensworth Shopping Center to be Burke, and some references even say it's in Annandale. I believe Springfield cuts off somewhere along Rolling Road north of West Springfield High School....

I sometimes refer to my neck of the woods as an amorphous sprawl from Burke to Annandale to Springfield to Lorton to Kingstowne. It's all more or less the same sprawl of suburbia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

Well, technically, I consider the Swiss Bakery in Ravensworth Shopping Center to be Burke, and some references even say it's in Annandale. I believe Springfield cuts off somewhere along Rolling Road north of West Springfield High School....

I sometimes refer to my neck of the woods as an amorphous sprawl from Burke to Annandale to Springfield to Lorton to Kingstowne. It's all more or less the same sprawl of suburbia.

Jan 26, 2017 - "Burke, Fairfax Station, Springfield: Reducing Braddock Road Congestion To Be Discussed Feb 6" by Tim Peterson on connectionnewspapers.com

On 8/25/2017 at 8:43 AM, JBag57 said:

And, when I finally looked up the address and drove to Afghan Bistro, my first thought was "this is Lorton, not Springfield!"

I was there with Lady KN last week, and the lamb shanks were excellent. Fall-off-the-bone tender with an incredible blend of spices. Not to be missed.

6 hours ago, lonewolfcub said:

Has anyone tried Della J's Delectables yet? Looks like they opened in the Fall 2017. Located in the small strip across the street from 5 Guys on Backlick. 

A family run Southern/Soul Food joint that is getting some good reviews on Google/Yelp. 

I'm intrigued.

http://www.dellajsdelectables.com/home/

This is an interesting place to open a restaurant. It's an area where Springfield "townies" hang out. JW's across the street is the favorite watering hole for townies, and Moe's Peyton Place across from JW's is the local greasy spoon, dishing bacon and eggs for 40 years!

EDIT: I stopped in today for lunch. It's in the former Marino's Pizza restaurant, and opened last August. The waitress told me they've been in soft opening mode since August. The place is really nice and clean on the inside. I sat at the bar and had a nice chicken and biscuit lunch plate. It was nice enough to order again. The only drawback of an otherwise pleasant Wednesday afternoon was the flatscreen offerings -- Kardashians on the screen in front of me, CNN on the right, and Olympic curling on the left. Bleh....

I'm holed up in Burke this week at my parents house cramming for an exam.  I've been treating myself to lunch and have three more to look forward to.  Any recommendations of ones in Springfield that I must do?  Probably going to do Thai Gaan Waan and Afghan Bistro again.  What should I do for a third?

It's not noted here but if you are in Springfield and need caffeine, you need to try Cervantes Coffee.

6 hours ago, ulrath said:

I'm holed up in Burke this week at my parents house cramming for an exam.  I've been treating myself to lunch and have three more to look forward to.  Any recommendations of ones in Springfield that I must do?  Probably going to do Thai Gaan Waan and Afghan Bistro again.  What should I do for a third?

It's not noted here but if you are in Springfield and need caffeine, you need to try Cervantes Coffee.

Hear! Hear! for Cervantes. Very good call. I can walk there from my house. (I can also walk to Starbucks, but I wouldn't do that at gunpoint.)

Thai Gan Wan and Afghan Bistro are two of the best in Springfield. If you're looking for a third, you can pick from Monty's (in the Whole Foods plaza), Osteria Marzano (down the Parkway near Kingstowne), or the Mediterranean Gourmet Market (down Franconia Rd towards Rose Hill). Namaste is also in Rose Hill, but you've departed Springfield....

25 minutes ago, dracisk said:

I'm no expert on Springfield or Springfield dining, but Marib, which is Yemeni, is on my agenda for a future Springfield visit. Unfortunately I rarely get down that way.

Marib is on my list too. It is technically in Springfield, but if you're on that road, Annandale is not that far away.

Eater lists 14 places worth making the trek to Spingfield....not a bad list, but if it's in order, then Afghan Bistro doesn't deserve to be at the bottom of the list. I'm glad they gave the under-rated Rivera's some love. Yardhouse, Chuy's and Delia's wouldn't make my list. Also, missing Bozzelli's flagship on Alban Rd -- almost next door to Afghan Bistro -- is ridiculous.

28 minutes ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

Eater lists 14 places worth making the trek to Spingfield....not a bad list, but if it's in order, then Afghan Bistro doesn't deserve to be at the bottom of the list. I'm glad they gave the under-rated Rivera's some love. Yardhouse, Chuy's and Delia's wouldn't make my list. Also, missing Bozzelli's flagship on Alban Rd -- almost next door to Afghan Bistro -- is ridiculous.

OK I'll bite... would LOVE to see your list , in order. Please. AB would be at the top of mine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smita Nordwall said:

OK I'll bite... would LOVE to see your list , in order. Please. AB would be at the top of mine.

Afghan Bistro

Monty's -- still hanging in there.

Osteria Marzano - Walker Lane, technically in Springfield.

Thai Ghang Waan

Marib -- I haven't been there but word is that it's good.

Eleni's

Bozzelli's flagship on Alban Rd

Della J's Delectables

Le Bledo

Pho Hang Anh and Pho 495 (tie) 

Village Chicken

Rivera's

Sabor Boliviano - best salteñas in our area.

• Like 1

Just now, Kibbee Nayee said:

Afghan Bistro

Monty's -- still hanging in there.

Osteria Marzano - Walker Lane, technically in Springfield.

Thai Ghang Waan

Marib -- I haven't been there but word is that it's good.

Eleni's

Bozzelli's flagship on Alban Rd

Della J's Delectables

Le Bledo

Pho Hang Anh and Pho 495 (tie) 

Village Chicken

Rivera's

Sabor Boliviano - best salteñas in our area.

Thanks. I have been to Marib, several times... I think your placement is correct. 

2 hours ago, Smita Nordwall said:

Thanks. I have been to Marib, several times... I think your placement is correct. 

BTW, absent from my list is Chuy's, Yardhouse, Mike's, and Delia's. I'm not a fan of Dera either. I'm on the fence as far as Taco Bamba is concerned -- one visit was OK, one visit was very bad. Bob and Edith's has never been anything but mediocre. Same with The Halal Guys.

4 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

Yardhouse

I went to Yard House in Boston in the spring, having never heard of it before, then, when I got back to this area, I saw one in downtown DC. It was great for day drinking on a patio in gorgeous weather, but the food was meh at best (pretty much what you'd expect from a chain sports bar). I just looked at their website and they have about 50 locations, most in California -- wow!

Continuing on the topic....

Honorable mention to Chef Feliciano, which is only open for lunch (plus catering), and has the best sandwiches and salads in Springfield. Also honorable mention to Jacalito Grill, in the same plaza as Afghan Bistro and Bozzelli's. It's open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and has a decent repertoire of Peruvian dishes with some Tex-Mex as well.

I don't like Karahi Kabob House as an experience, but the food isn't bad. It's just that no alcohol is served, and if you're part of the "club" of frequent customers, you are not treated in a welcoming manner.

For whatever reason, I feel compelled to provide input on the Springfield portion of the Dining Guide, but with the exception that "Multiple Locations" restaurants will be included in my list, because after all, they are in Springfield, and if you look at the Dining Guide for places in Springfield, the Multiple Locations restaurants need to appear in Springfield. Also, to the best of my knowledge, I included restaurants that are not in the Dining Guide (yet), and I rank-ordered the restaurants based on the Kibbee Nayee body of knowledge and experience.

(CURRENT) DINING GUIDE LIST:

Afghan Bistro - website - Twitter - Instagram - map - The best Afghan food I've ever eaten, extremely friendly and professional service, family-owned, open for lunch again as of Mar 1, 2018 with the original staff 
Cervantes Coffee Roasters - website - Instagram - map - Roaster-Owner Marialy Justiniano's single-origin coffees, fresh-roasted daily, a coffee gem in a warehouse setting
Osteria Marzano - website - Twitter - Instagram - map - Chef Carmine Marzano used to head the kitchen at Luigino's downtown
Marib - website - map - One of only 2-3 Yemeni restaurants in the DC area, open 10 AM 7 Days a week, I haven't yet been but reports are good
Thai Ghang Waan - website - map
Eleni's Greek Taverna - website - map
*Flame Kabob - website 
Mike's American - website - @MikesAmerican - map
9 Pad Thai - website - map
Le Bledo (Formerly Le Bledo Dalat) - Facebook - map
Yindee Thai - website - Instagram - map
Kana Sushi - website - map
Kang Chon (formerly Oh Bok Jung) website - map
Yard House - website - Twitter - Instagram - map 
Hunan Taste - website - map
Jacalito Rotisserie Chicken and Tex-Mex Grill - website - map
Saigon Quan - Facebook - map
Rivera's (703) 451-5344
Taiko Japanese Restaurant - website
El Sabor Boliviano (703) 913-0617
Pho Hong Anh (703) 569-6060
Village Chicken - website
Coco Rico (703) 822-0124
Sugar Palm Thai - website
Kanjana Thai - website
Saigon City - website
Pho Saigon Quan - website
Thai Cafe - website
VN Cafe (703) 922-6228
RAWR Sushi - website
Golden Hong Kong - website
Asian Grill (703) 569-4800
Malek's Pizza Palace - website
Karahi Kabob House - website - map
Dining in Springfield
see also: The Swiss Bakery

(PROPOSED) KIBBEE NAYEE LIST:

Afghan Bistro -- It deserves to be #1 by a good margin.

Cervantes Coffee -- Best coffee around, but I'm not sure it's an apples-to-oranges comparison for this list. Coffee and a few pasties only, but oh, that coffee.

Thai Ghang Waan -- Underrated Thai, and best Thai in Springfield by a lot. (Sugar Palm Thai should be moved to Alexandria.)

9 Pad Thai -- I've heard good things but haven't tried it yet.

Eleni's Greek Taverna -- What suburban Greek food is meant to be, with outstanding service.

Bozzelli's Flagship -- Best pizza in Springfield, Momma Bozzelli's specialties (since 1978!), large wine and beer assortment. Multiple locations, but this is the flagship.

Marib -- I consider any place that doesn't serve alcohol to be carry-out only.

Osteria Marzano -- I would move this restaurant under Franconia. I haven't been impressed by my visits here.

Izumi Sushi -- Where Osaka Sushi used to be (behind Springfield Mall), and a bit better. Best sushi in Springfield, although that's faint praise.

Della J's Delectables -- For some reason not in the Dining Guide. A mostly American menu, but the sides are all Southern, and the African-American draw to this place is noteworthy.

Chef Feliciano -- Missing from the Dining Guide. Only open for lunch, but one of the best lunches in Springfield, and the best Cuban sandwich in Springfield. Outstanding catering menu.

Bob and Edith's Diner -- Multiple Locations, but the best breakfast in Springfield. Ham 'n Eggs with Hash Browns is the way to start (or finish) any day.

Le Bledo -- Consistent quality Vietnamese, with excellent phở and the best bánh mi in Springfield.

Hai Duong -- Missing from the Dining Guide. New-ish Vietnamese sit-down restaurant in Brookfield Plaza with very good entrees.

Pho Hong Anh -- Probably the best phở in Springfield since Phở 495 closed.

Saigon City -- Le Bledo, Hai Duong, Ph Hong Anh , and Saigon City are a dead heat for me. It depends on mood and what you want on any given day. Saigon City has the best chả giò.

Rivera's -- Nice little Latin American restaurant across from JW's.

Mike's -- I guess I would stick Mike's somewhere about here, but you have to like mediocre and unimaginative fare accompanied by ear-shattering noise.

JW's and Friends -- Missing from the Dining Guide, good American fare, lively bar for locals.

Jacalito Rotisserie -- Tied with Village Chicken for the best rotisserie chicken in Springfield, but don't miss the taco salad and the seafood soup.

Village Chicken -- Succulent chicken with a wide variety of sides, including pita with hummus.

Coco Rico -- Basically Jacalito or Village Chicken, but with Middle Eastern sides.

Moe's Peyton Place -- Missing from the Dining Guide. Over 48 years of standard diner fare, kind of a dive, with the second-best breakfast in Springfield, served all day.

Dos Amigos -- Missing from the Dining Guide. Lively bar and actually good Tex-Mex, next to Costco.

Karahi Kabob House -- Any place that doesn't serve alcohol is take-out only for the Kibbee Nayee's of the world. Good food, bad service, bad vibe.

Asian Grill -- Suburban Americanized Chinese, better than most others, and well above average. Darren and Maggie are very gracious hosts. Maggie has worked for Darren for 28 years, starting at Ho's Dynasty in Burke. They are not married.

Afghan Kabob -- Missing from the Dining Guide, with surprisingly good kabob platters.

El Sabor Boliviano -- Sprinfield's best salteña, or maybe Springfield's only salteñas!

Golden Hong Kong -- Good Chinese food, somewhat Americanized, next to Trader Joe's.

Kang Chon -- Springfield's best Korean restaurant, although Annandale is only a few miles north, so go to Annandale.

Saratoga Family Restaurant -- Missing from the Dining Guide, recently renovated, solid neighborhood Greek-Italian fare with not-bad pizza and very good salads and subs.

Malek's -- See Delia's. Average pizza. subs, and salads with a Greek-ish leaning menu.

Delia's -- See Malek's. Average pizza, subs, and salads with a Greek-ish leaning menu.

Rolling Cooking -- Above average suburban Americanized Chinese food on Rolling Road.

Des Pardes -- Missing from Dining Guide. New Pakistani restaurant where Aabshaar used to be. I haven't tried it yet.

Kanjana Thai -- Recent visits have been regrettable.

Hunan Taste -- See Kanjana Thai, but supposedly under new management.

Desi Bethak -- New restaurant in the old Uncle Charlie's Pizzeria place, missing from the Dining Guide. Not yet visited.

All of the Springfield Mall chains -- Not interesting enough to venture to the Mall, but the hot chicken livers at Nando's Peri Peri and the tabbouli at Mezeh are not offensive.

All the rest -- Saigon Quan is closed. Listed separately in the Dining Guide is Pho Saigon Quan or Phở Sài Gòn Ơi, at the same address, which may or may not be closed. RAWR sushi and Taiko Sushi are so-so. So is Sarku Teriyaki and Sushi in Brookfield Plaza.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

For whatever reason, I feel compelled to provide input on the Springfield portion of the Dining Guide, but with the exception that "Multiple Locations" restaurants will be included in my list, because after all, they are in Springfield, and if you look at the Dining Guide for places in Springfield, the Multiple Locations restaurants need to appear in Springfield. Also, to the best of my knowledge, I included restaurants that are not in the Dining Guide (yet), and I rank-ordered the restaurants based on the Kibbee Nayee body of knowledge and experience.

(CURRENT) DINING GUIDE LIST:

Afghan Bistro - website - Twitter - Instagram - map - The best Afghan food I've ever eaten, extremely friendly and professional service, family-owned, open for lunch again as of Mar 1, 2018 with the original staff 
Cervantes Coffee Roasters - website - Instagram - map - Roaster-Owner Marialy Justiniano's single-origin coffees, fresh-roasted daily, a coffee gem in a warehouse setting
Osteria Marzano - website - Twitter - Instagram - map - Chef Carmine Marzano used to head the kitchen at Luigino's downtown
Marib - website - map - One of only 2-3 Yemeni restaurants in the DC area, open 10 AM 7 Days a week, I haven't yet been but reports are good
Thai Ghang Waan - website - map
Eleni's Greek Taverna - website - map
*Flame Kabob - website 
Mike's American - website - @MikesAmerican - map
9 Pad Thai - website - map
Le Bledo (Formerly Le Bledo Dalat) - Facebook - map
Yindee Thai - website - Instagram - map
Kana Sushi - website - map
Kang Chon (formerly Oh Bok Jung) website - map
Yard House - website - Twitter - Instagram - map 
Hunan Taste - website - map
Jacalito Rotisserie Chicken and Tex-Mex Grill - website - map
Saigon Quan - Facebook - map
Rivera's (703) 451-5344
Taiko Japanese Restaurant - website
El Sabor Boliviano (703) 913-0617
Pho Hong Anh (703) 569-6060
Village Chicken - website
Coco Rico (703) 822-0124
Sugar Palm Thai - website
Kanjana Thai - website
Saigon City - website
Pho Saigon Quan - website
Thai Cafe - website
VN Cafe (703) 922-6228
RAWR Sushi - website
Golden Hong Kong - website
Asian Grill (703) 569-4800
Malek's Pizza Palace - website
Karahi Kabob House - website - map
Dining in Springfield
see also: The Swiss Bakery

(PROPOSED) KIBBEE NAYEE LIST:

Afghan Bistro -- It deserves to be #1 by a good margin.

Cervantes Coffee -- Best coffee around, but I'm not sure it's an apples-to-oranges comparison for this list. Coffee and a few pasties only, but oh, that coffee.

Thai Ghang Waan -- Underrated Thai, and best Thai in Springfield by a lot. (Sugar Palm Thai should be moved to Alexandria.)

9 Pad Thai -- I've heard good things but haven't tried it yet.

Eleni's Greek Taverna -- What suburban Greek food is meant to be, with outstanding service.

Bozzelli's Flagship -- Best pizza in Springfield, Momma Bozzelli's specialties (since 1978!), large wine and beer assortment. Multiple locations, but this is the flagship.

Marib -- I consider any place that doesn't serve alcohol to be carry-out only.

Osteria Marzano -- I would move this restaurant under Franconia. I haven't been impressed by my visits here.

Izumi Sushi -- Where Osaka Sushi used to be (behind Springfield Mall), and a bit better. Best sushi in Springfield, although that's faint praise.

Della J's Delectables -- For some reason not in the Dining Guide. A mostly American menu, but the sides are all Southern, and the African-American draw to this place is noteworthy.

Chef Feliciano -- Missing from the Dining Guide. Only open for lunch, but one of the best lunches in Springfield, and the best Cuban sandwich in Springfield. Outstanding catering menu.

Bob and Edith's Diner -- Multiple Locations, but the best breakfast in Springfield. Ham 'n Eggs with Hash Browns is the way to start (or finish) any day.

Le Bledo -- Consistent quality Vietnamese, with excellent phở and the best bánh mi in Springfield.

Hai Duong -- Missing from the Dining Guide. New-ish Vietnamese sit-down restaurant in Brookfield Plaza with very good entrees.

Pho Hong Anh -- Probably the best phở in Springfield since Phở 495 closed.

Saigon City -- Le Bledo, Hai Duong, Ph Hong Anh , and Saigon City are a dead heat for me. It depends on mood and what you want on any given day. Saigon City has the best chả giò.

Rivera's -- Nice little Latin American restaurant across from JW's.

Mike's -- I guess I would stick Mike's somewhere about here, but you have to like mediocre and unimaginative fare accompanied by ear-shattering noise.

JW's and Friends -- Missing from the Dining Guide, good American fare, lively bar for locals.

Jacalito Rotisserie -- Tied with Village Chicken for the best rotisserie chicken in Springfield, but don't miss the taco salad and the seafood soup.

Village Chicken -- Succulent chicken with a wide variety of sides, including pita with hummus.

Coco Rico -- Basically Jacalito or Village Chicken, but with Middle Eastern sides.

Moe's Peyton Place -- Missing from the Dining Guide. Over 48 years of standard diner fare, kind of a dive, with the second-best breakfast in Springfield, served all day.

Dos Amigos -- Missing from the Dining Guide. Lively bar and actually good Tex-Mex, next to Costco.

Karahi Kabob House -- Any place that doesn't serve alcohol is take-out only for the Kibbee Nayee's of the world. Good food, bad service, bad vibe.

Asian Grill -- Suburban Americanized Chinese, better than most others, and well above average. Darren and Maggie are very gracious hosts. Maggie has worked for Darren for 28 years, starting at Ho's Dynasty in Burke. They are not married.

Afghan Kabob -- Missing from the Dining Guide, with surprisingly good kabob platters.

El Sabor Boliviano -- Sprinfield's best salteña, or maybe Springfield's only salteñas!

Golden Hong Kong -- Good Chinese food, somewhat Americanized, next to Trader Joe's.

Kang Chon -- Springfield's best Korean restaurant, although Annandale is only a few miles north, so go to Annandale.

Saratoga Family Restaurant -- Missing from the Dining Guide, recently renovated, solid neighborhood Greek-Italian fare with not-bad pizza and very good salads and subs.

Malek's -- See Delia's. Average pizza. subs, and salads with a Greek-ish leaning menu.

Delia's -- See Malek's. Average pizza, subs, and salads with a Greek-ish leaning menu.

Rolling Cooking -- Above average suburban Americanized Chinese food on Rolling Road.

Des Pardes -- Missing from Dining Guide. New Pakistani restaurant where Aabshaar used to be. I haven't tried it yet.

Kanjana Thai -- Recent visits have been regrettable.

Hunan Taste -- See Kanjana Thai, but supposedly under new management.

Desi Bethak -- New restaurant in the old Uncle Charlie's Pizzeria place, missing from the Dining Guide. Not yet visited.

All of the Springfield Mall chains -- Not interesting enough to venture to the Mall, but the hot chicken livers at Nando's Peri Peri and the tabbouli at Mezeh are not offensive.

All the rest -- Saigon Quan is closed. Listed separately in the Dining Guide is Pho Saigon Quan or Phở Sài Gòn Ơi, at the same address, which may or may not be closed. RAWR sushi and Taiko Sushi are so-so. So is Sarku Teriyaki and Sushi in Brookfield Plaza.

Dera is also missing from the Dining Guide. It's one of very few places I've patronized in Springfield, the other that I can think of off the top of my head being Afghan Bistro ... mmmmm.

15 minutes ago, dracisk said:

Dera is also missing from the Dining Guide. It's one of very few places I've patronized in Springfield, the other that I can think of off the top of my head being Afghan Bistro ... mmmmm.

There are probably 50-100 restaurants missing from the Dining Guide(s) - it takes me 5-10 minutes per entry to add a restaurant - the good news is I have tabs on them all, I think. (Some of these are in the Multiple Locations Guide, and I haven't gotten around to distributing them). I'd say Springfield is probably the single biggest culprit (after Baltimore), mainly because Kibbee has started so many threads on places that I just can't get to.

(You are aware that the Dining Guides *only* contain entries for which we have threads?)

Thanks, Kibbee!

• Like 1

Tom Sietsema gives some serious love to Springfield in his "8 Favorite Places to Eat Right Now."

Marib, the Yemeni restaurant on Hechinger Drive in north Springfield, makes his Top 8.

Aracosia, the Afghan restaurant in McLean, also makes his Top 8, but I'm giving Springfield some credit here. Afghan Bistro in Springfield is basically the older sibling of Aracosia, with the same family and the same menu.

As far as I'm concerned, 25% of Tom's Top 8 are in Springfield.

• Like 1

Catching up on the restaurant scene post-pandemic is a daily process, and too many updates involve closings.

But there are some openings to report! Two new restaurants are preparing to open on a strip of Brookfield Plaza that already has the best Thai restaurant in Springfield -- Thai Ghang Waan -- and the best Korean restaurant south of Annandale -- Kang Chon -- as well as my favorite Halal butcher and second-favorite butcher in Springfield. 

The new restaurants will be Bonchon Korean Fried Chicken and Makchang Dodook. Bonchon is a national chain, but brings Korean fried chicken to Springfield for the first time. Makchong Doddok is a Korean BBQ restaurant whose only other outpost appears to be in Ho Chi Minh City.

To both of these establishments, welcome to Springfield!

Brookfield Plaza.jpeg