Colorado Kitchen - Vailed.

Wanted something homey last night to eat and noticed CK's special Holiday menu for 12/27 was their burgers, so introduced a friend to the restaurant.

Gotta say it's a dang fine hamburger. Cooked medium-rare exactly as ordered, added sauteed onions and a touch of their mayo [house-made?]. Large mound of fried onion straws. Very very tasty. Gillian, you produced an excellent burger. I think it's tied for #1, but I'm happy to retry Central's and some of the others again for a taste-test in the next couple of weeks :(

Tried 2 beers there: the previously mentioned Ephemere [apple-ly ale], and a quite-nice Brown Sugar Ale I believe.

All-in-all very satisfying. And the friend is a new convert.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah yeah that's it. I had to double-take on the high alcohol content, but that beer is nice. Folks should give that a try if they eat there

Off myself to find a six-pack hopefully near the Metro area, or maybe I'll be lucky while I'm visiting family/friends in Philly this weekend. Hmmm, reminder to self to get some tasty Peking Duck at Sang Kee on 9th! Oh, and can I still justify continued holiday eating and get a cheesesteak at Mama's / Dalessandro?

This week the winter menu launched with new items that included a ribeye with a dark flavorful sauce and potato cake, a huge pork chop [disappeared so quickly - lucky to get blurry photo below] and a stacked meatloaf napoleon [dynamite] that seemed to go to every table. Apps included the goat cheese fritters [now with a whole poached pear and spinach chiffonade] and an onion tart with the flakiest, light crust.

B&FC night will be held the second Tuesday of every month.
Seems the monthly Burger & Fried Chicken night is getting really popular - they were sold out by 8pm this week.

EDIT: As noted in the introduction of CK's December 2007 CityPaper review, there is a display describing Colorado Kitchen's "adopted" Army soldier. A request from this soldier, currently in Iraq, for Ciggies and Skittles is on the the tablecards. Seems these are important morale items. An Eleven Bravo at my table Friday night remarked that, while Cigarettes are important, there are great chunks of "work time" when they can't light up. He suggested adding dip and nicotine gum to the donation request list. It would be difficult for me to donate cigarettes [maybe y'all have a spare cigar or two], but I can envision bringing other donations to help fill CK's periodic packages from home.

post-226-1200163284_thumb.jpg

post-226-1200163398_thumb.jpg

From CK's eNewsletter this weekend:

On a much sadder note one of Chef's greatest inspirations has died. Colorado Kitchen was designed after the little eat-in kitchen where Chef's grandmother would stand at the stove. The food wasn't always the greatest, but there was a lot of love in that kitchen. Chef's grandmother, Daisy, will be laid to rest on Tuesday. So Colorado Kitchen will be closed on Wednesday. We resume our normal hours Thursday at 5pm. Daisy wouldn't want us to be moping; so eat and drink a little more than you should this weekend in honor of Chef's Nana.
;)

Mr. Bimbap, mother-in-law, Bimbapbino and I had a lovely meal at CK last Thursday. Started off with a taste of the (13?) bean soup with bacon which was one of the best expressions of bacon ever. I passed on a full order because I'd been itching to get the bibb lettuce salad with the golden raisin vinagrette because it's never not good.

It was burger night, so I got one medium rare and the MIL got a turkey burger which we both enjoyed. Mr. Bimbap opted for the pork chop and it didn't disappoint. I'm always impressed by how flavorful and perfectly cooked the meats are here.

Desserts were ice cream, a baked apple dessert (I'm blanking on the name), and a "ring-ding" made with chocolate cake filled with whipped cream and chocolate glaze all around. Hostess never made something so good.

5:00 seems to be a good time to go if you want to avoid crowds, especially if you have a baby like us.

Thanks Chef for the great food once again!

FINALLY, after months of begging, my sister and boyfriend joined me for dinner at Colorado Kitchen tonight--it was the first visit for all of us. We were immediately charmed by the retro feel of the restaurant. Loved the vintage salt and pepper shakers! The soup of the day (of which we were immediately provided a sample) was shellfish chowder, and it was fantastically flavorful (so much so that my sister ordered a bowl). We also started with an order of goat cheese fritters, which were served with big fat delicious asparagus. Yum!

Sister went for the fricasseed chicken leg with mushrooms and herbs, which was tender and tasty. Boyfriend had the pork chop, which was served with potato rosti and an AMAZING cranberry-granny smith chutney. I would buy that stuff in bulk--and the chop itself was beautifully cooked. I had the roasted chicken with green beans and mashed potatoes, which was good (and had a nice crust) but paled in comparison to the rest of the food.

We each got a dessert--the baked apple thingy was good, the "King Ding" (Chef's take on a ding dong) was great, and the sweet potato pie was spectacular.

Prices were reasonable, service was excellent, and a good time was had by all. In fact, boyfriend and I even signed up for the April 1 "Bangers and Beer" event. I also love the "adopt a soldier" concept--as a person who serves veterans for a living, I applaud the effort to bring a little bit of the comfort of home to our men and women overseas. Too bad I only got to experience this place two months before my move--darn me and my hesitation. Anyway, we really enjoyed ourselves, and we'll definitely be back!

Yesterday's "Changes are in the Air" email notes that they're starting summer hours [open Thursday through Sunday only] to provide extra time to launch General Store & Post Office Tavern:

Hi Folks,

A couple new things are happening at Colorado Kitchen.

First, we've begun our "Summer Hours" a few months early. We're needing that extra day off to push the General Store faster than ever. Now we'll be closed on Mondays, Tuesdays AND Wednesdays. Other than that no other changes.

And Chef tells me it's time for a new menu. I can't really entice you or tease you because I haven't seen it yet. I've heard her sighing and giggling so I know it's going to be good!

Last, but not least, don't forget about the culinary weekend, Adventures At The Stove in June. Hey dads and kids...does mom like to cook? How about sending her for a little get-away as a Mother's Day present. She gets some time off, and you'll reap the benefits.

See you soon,

Chef & Robin

Colorado Kitchen

5515 Colorado Ave. NW

Washington, DC 20011

202/545-8280

Thursday - Saturday 5:00pm to 10:00pm

Sunday 5:00pm to 9:00pm

Brunch Saturday & Sunday 11:00am to 2:30pm

Yesterday's "Changes are in the Air" email notes that they're starting summer hours [open Thursday through Sunday only]
Even though they're open on a summer schedule, CK still has Burger/Fried Chicken tonight:
-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 10:44 PM

To: undisclosed-recipients

Subject: That Time Of The Month

Hey Folks,

Yes, it is. Tuesday is the second Tuesday of the Month and we all know what that means. BURGER & FRIED CHICKEN NIGHT at Colorado Kitchen. We've been voted Best Burger and more recently, Best Fried Chicken in DC. Both bests in one night. Wow. It's a dream come true.

Join us tomorrow [Tuesday]. We open at 5pm. And remember, Chef's 4 x 6 walk-in cooler can only hold so much chicken and burgers, so don't wait until the last minute. Come in as soon as you can so you don't miss out and have to wait until next month for some of that glorious fried chicken and collard greens.

We've also got a great inventory of wine and beer that goes great with the fabulous eats. So come thirst and hungry. We'll take care of the rest.

See you soon,

Chef & Robin

some words of advice from an extremely slow learner: if you want to eat here on sunday night, call first unless you don't mind the closed sign.
Unfortunately, this method did not work for me, as I called on Sunday afternoon and got a message confirming their Sunday hours (5 - 9 pm). My Dad came up from Columbia for our Father's Day dinner at CK, only to find the "Closed" sign on the door at 5:45. Gillian- we love you and your restaurant, but a simple request: please leave a message on your answering machine when you will be closed during normal hours.

Unfortunately, this method did not work for me, as I called on Sunday afternoon and got a message confirming their Sunday hours (5 - 9 pm). My Dad came up from Columbia for our Father's Day dinner at CK, only to find the "Closed" sign on the door at 5:45. Gillian- we love you and your restaurant, but a simple request: please leave a message on your answering machine when you will be closed during normal hours.

i am such a slow learner that we came this close to having this happen to us last night, and i never even thought of calling ahead of time. instead, we ended up at hank's oyster bar, which was having a somewhat off night. i like catfish, but not their sauce, which was heavy and a bit overwhelming. our server had a trainee tagging along and promised twice the service, which actually amounted to less than half. (this has happened to me a few times before. when a server shows up with a trainee, it is usually a bad sign.) next time i'm going back to colorado kitchen, and if it's closed we will probably go to cork or bar pilar, which is an especially good place to eat these days if you are looking for something from the farmers market because you missed it because you overslept.

i am such a slow learner that we came this close to having this happen to us last night, and i never even thought of calling ahead of time. instead, we ended up at hank's oyster bar, which was having a somewhat off night. i like catfish, but not their sauce, which was heavy and a bit overwhelming. our server had a trainee tagging along and promised twice the service, which actually amounted to less than half. (this has happened to me a few times before. when a server shows up with a trainee, it is usually a bad sign.) next time i'm going back to colorado kitchen, and if it's closed we will probably go to cork or bar pilar, which is an especially good place to eat these days if you are looking for something from the farmers market because you missed it because you overslept.

Ah- Cork and Bar Pilar- good ideas! We were worried that by that point (6-ish by the time we got anywhere else) we'd have a wait, given that it was Father's Day, but we had no trouble finding a table at Red Rocks and enjoyed our meal.

From this week's CK email blast:

Hey Folks,

We are hoping you can join us on Wednesday, June 25th at 6pm. Colorado Kitchen, in cooperation with Metro D.C. Interfaith Sanctuary Network, will host a Fried Chicken Benefit Dinner. This is WIN-WIN. Chef's Fried Chicken and a great cause all in one night. We can't think of a better way to spend a summer evening.

This special charity event is just $25.00 and includes a bowl of soup, CK's famous fried chicken (with applewood-bacon collards bacon and cornbread), one a specially selected beer or your choice from our vast collection of bottled sodas or iced tea. Proceeds go to support mental health care for veterans, the Washington Peace Center , and the Social Justice Scholarship Fund.

Please call us and know if you'll be having dinner with us next Wednesday. You'll have to make reservations so Chef knows how much chicken to order. Make a reservation by emailing David Thurston at david.thurston78@gmail.com. Please include the size of your party and what time you would like to come.

See you soon,

Chef, Robin & David

If you'd like more information on the event call 202-234-2000.

(It's just Fried Chicken Wednesday Night, Folks. There will not be a vegetarian option for this event.)

edited because I didn't read that the fundraiser is for next week. Still, anybody interested?

Rachel and I are probably going; trying to iron out whether the $25 is tap/gratuity inclusive, and the seeming contradiction between "event at 6pm" and "let us know what time you are coming".

Rachel and I are probably going; trying to iron out whether the $25 is tap/gratuity inclusive, and the seeming contradiction between "event at 6pm" and "let us know what time you are coming".

The message does state that you have to make reservations.

(Aside: As long as we're dealing with rumors ... I'm sitting on something of a bombshell which everyone will (sadly) find out about in less than a week. If anyone already knows about it, please keep it under wraps for the time being out of courtesy and respect for the insiders involved - I've confirmed it, and have agreed to keep it off the website for now. Stay tuned ... Cheers, Rocks.)

Okay, well, the news is out there. Many people have now written me and said the story has "broken," and that I might as well open up the thread. But I promised I wouldn't, and until I get the go-ahead, I won't. The reason has nothing to do with getting the story out; the establishment is simply worried about being overrun, and this website gets a lot of traffic - I'll honor my commitment.

On happier notes, I'm sitting on another bombshell, which you'll also find out about within a week. Want a clue? Here you go ... click.

I really love his cooking and will wait to see where he surfaces next.

Also, did anyone read the first comment that a poster left on the Washingtonian website in response to this (about Colorado Kitchen)... .. is that true???

Kliman followed up with an apparent confirmation, including an update from Chef Clark that suggests things are moving forward on GSPOT, but we might have to wait until October.

Man, between this and Yonan's WaPo article today on CFS, I'm suddenly craving pan-fried comfort food.

Farewell, CK. I will always miss your weekend brunch, fried catfish, and donuts. I will even miss the cutesy salt & pepper shakers and the quirky service. And I will certainly miss Chef, though I hope to see her again soon in Silver Spring.

I will miss the fried chicken plate just a little bit less, because I had one tonight. :lol:

Sigh. It's the morning after my last supper at Colorado Kitchen.

I take comfort in remembering the relocation and ultimate revitalization of Corduroy. Barely.

I'll remember CK as the little kitchen that could. CK blossomed in a dry gulch of retail food choices, let alone restaurants. The new sibling, GS&POT, will have a life of its own but hopefully echo its family roots.

post-226-1214663290_thumb.jpg

Dinner last night included a chilled potato leek soup, small bite crabcakes and pineapple upside down cake. It was a summertime treat that will have to stick to my brain until Fall.

I am full of doughnut holes and bacon. So I am happy and sad all at once.
I bet we were there at the same time! I was in the corner with friends, their daughter and DS. It was our first and last time, sadly, as everything was really yummy. :lol:

We started out with the Homemade assorted donuts basket. Inside was a great, sweet texture, with the outside a bit crusty (for a lack of a better word). DS really enjoyed the cakey-part of the donut.

I shared the Corn-flour waffles with sausage with DS, while he mooched bacon from his dad. Friends enjoyed the Garlic grits A LOT, and their daughter (20mos) ate most of the grits -- more than her usual share of food, which was great!

What a wonderful experience brunch was. Now it's time for nap! :lol: