"Big Ass Comics," by Rip-Off Press and Creator Robert Crumb

Joe H

On 12/26/2013 at 8:06 PM, DonRocks said:

There's a *entire blog post* devoted to this:

(No, I'm not a pervert, but it stood out like a sore thumb when I was watching, and I think it's pretty funny.)

Well, this is only distantly related, if that, but the original link for "Uhura's panties" pulls up a drawing from R Crumb at the very top.  I have an original copy of "Big Ass Comics" from 1969:  http://comixjoint.com/bigasscomics.html

Mr. Spock would have appreciated it.

On 1/13/2014 at 10:40 PM, Joe H said:

Well, this is only distantly related, if that, but the original link for "Uhura's panties" pulls up a drawing from R Crumb at the very top.  I have an original copy of "Big Ass Comics" from 1969.

Mr. Spock would have appreciated it.

"Big Ass Comics" also put forth "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" which I grew up reading occasionally as a child (with older siblings). I distinctly remember one of their skits, "Feds and Heads," about druggies waging a battle of wits (and humor) against the Fed crackdown on drugs.

It's amazing how closely tied the arts world really is. I love posts like Joe's - let's tie everything together. We can do it, from Cro-Magnon Cave Art to (God forgive me) Miley Cyrus.

• Like 1

Well.....I've spent the last two hours looking at comics books and searching the internet including the online version of the Comic Book Price Guide.  Turns out I have a lot of stuff.  Real question is the kind of condition its in and in the case of underground comics (i.e. Big Ass, Zap 0, Mr. Natural, etc.) it seems each of these have a number of "first issues" and it is identifying the specific issue that becomes the trick.  For instance Big Ass had a half dozen first issues each with its own printing and the only way of identifying which printing it is would be the color of pants and shoes of a cover character.  And whether or not the pages were numbered.

Actually amazing how much time I spent in a head shop in College Park in '67 and '68...

• Like 1

Like Joe, I recall R. Crumb when he/they were active, prolific, publishing a lot.  maybe a wee bit after Joe, but roughly the same years.    R. Crumb.  It reads best when one is stoned.

Who knows maybe they'll make a comeback in Colorado.  ;)

There is a problem with weed that is different today than when I was going to college:  if I eat more I simply do not burn enough calories to work off the extra weight.  In the late 1960's a friend of mine and I went to Ledo's in Adelphi and EACH ordered a large pizza with several toppings.  Five pounds each?  They were big.  We were stoned.

We ate every fleck of sausage, every crumb, there wasn't a smear of sauce left on the paper underneath the pie .It was an incredible meal-I had never eaten that much before in my life at a single sitting.

It was good weed...but honestly, I haven't smoked anything, even a cigarette in more than 25 years.

On 1/13/2014 at 11:13 PM, DonRocks said:

"Big Ass Comics" also put forth "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" which I grew up reading occasionally as a child (with older siblings). I distinctly remember one of their skits, "Feds and Heads," about druggies waging a battle of wits (and humor) against the Fed crackdown on drugs.

It's amazing how closely tied the arts world really is. I love posts like Joe's - let's tie everything together. We can do it, from Cro-Magnon Cave Art to (God forgive me) Miley Cyrus.

I had friends who drew up extra "draw cards" for Feds and Heads, they were quite funny.