Restaurant Wine Bargains and Half-Price Nights

Went to BdC last eve. Sat at the bar. Noticed some new markings on the mirror.

Meursault, Genevrieres, 1er cru, 2001, $49. Producer unlisted, but for $49, why not take a chance?

I like white Burgundy a little, so I had at one. Turned out to be a fine decision. Not going to put this up against say Lafon, but damned tasty nonetheless. The chassagne 1er cru being offered was a little underwhelming, but grew agreeable as it warmed up a touch (had to have the second bottle as it was for research - '99 vintage, can't recall the producer). The Mearsault (Latour-Giraud was the producer) was pretty much the best $49 I've spent in a restaurant on chardonnay, and I trust I'll continue to do so until it's out.

In addition to the mirror, the butcher paper specials are worth looking at - '99 Puy Ducasse for $45, Chateau Clairfont (2nd label of Prieure Lichine, Margaux) '00 for $30. As of late '99 Ridge Montebello for $69? That's below wholesale prices. Makes drinking out of the small glasses a little more tolerable.

Any other steals out there?

Meursault, Genevrieres, 1er cru, 2001, $49. Producer unlisted, but for $49, why not take a chance?

I like white Burgundy a little, so I had at one. Turned out to be a fine decision. Not going to put this up against say Lafon, but damned tasty nonetheless. The chassagne 1er cru being offered was a little underwhelming, but grew agreeable as it warmed up a touch (had to have the second bottle as it was for research - '99 vintage, can't recall the producer). The Mearsault (Latour-Giraud was the producer) was pretty much the best $49 I've spent in a restaurant on chardonnay, and I trust I'll continue to do so until it's out.

In addition to the mirror, the butcher paper specials are worth looking at - '99 Puy Ducasse for $45, Chateau Clairfont (2nd label of Prieure Lichine, Margaux) '00 for $30. As of late '99 Ridge Montebello for $69? That's below wholesale prices. Makes drinking out of the small glasses a little more tolerable.

What is BDC?

Crystal City Restaurant offers Perrier Jouet La Fleur, in the gift set with hand-painted glasses, for a below-retail $115. The glasses you get to take home.

Go for the Champagne, stay for the . . . prime rib.

If $100 can ever be considered a "good deal", Kosta Brown Kanzler is available at Charlie Palmer Steak. Not a steal, but pretty fair considering how scarce it is in these parts...

I am not sure if they have any left, but Corduroy had the 1988 Krug for less than I paid at retail. Unfortunately, the glasses that they use do no justice to this wonderful Champagne.

The sick bargains on Tom's list are almost too numerous to list (or remember). Grand Cru Burgundies, Second Growth Bordeauxes, back-vintage Heitz's--oh my!

If $100 can ever be considered a "good deal", Kosta Brown Kanzler is available at Charlie Palmer Steak. Not a steal, but pretty fair considering how scarce it is in these parts...

Dude, for a restaurant, and for that wine that is just about a steal.

metropolitan in annapolis has a great list with really fun wines at very reasonable prices. the prices change from reasonable to insanely low on sunday nights with thier 1/2 price wine night.

if i recall correctly, mendocino also does 1/2 off on sunday nights. i am also a very big fan of thier list.

Dude, for a restaurant, and for that wine that is just about a steal.
Agreed, but the $100 price point makes it irrelevant for some. Personally, I'm just glad to be on the KB list. CPS does have some good bargains if you take the time to look. Ditto the comments on Corduroy - Chef Power has put together a great list.

The other night, I wanted to drop some samples off at Corduroy and have a bite. I silently lamented that I wished I were there with a few others, in order to poach the list rather than drinking the (very good) wines by the glass (particularly that Sylvaner!). Sure enough, Pichon comes over and points out two other Rockweilers down the other end of the bar and the poaching began! The victims this particular evening were yet another bottle of the astonishing 2001 Riefle Riesling Steinert ($46) and a Lanny Lancaster, aged-for-your-pleasure special, 1999 Domaine Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin Vielles Vignes ($53 or something similarly laughable). Yes!

Agreed, but the $100 price point makes it irrelevant for some. Personally, I'm just glad to be on the KB list. CPS does have some good bargains if you take the time to look. Ditto the comments on Corduroy - Chef Power has put together a great list.

Being on KB's list is a dream come true. I saw the Sonoma Coast PN selling for $99 in a wine store in DC a couple of months ago. What was it on release on the list, $27?

Being on KB's list is a dream come true. I saw the Sonoma Coast PN selling for $99 in a wine store in DC a couple of months ago. What was it on release on the list, $27?
That's crazy! I am very glad I am on the KB list, too. But I regret that on e the first mailer I didn't buy anything (stupid stupid stupid). which has knocked me down a rung on the mailing list 'level'. Dang it. Still, I have some 4-Barrel too. :unsure:

:P

That's crazy! I am very glad I am on the KB list, too. But I regret that on e the first mailer I didn't buy anything (stupid stupid stupid). which has knocked me down a rung on the mailing list 'level'. Dang it. Still, I have some 4-Barrel too. ;)

4 Barrel!!! Bring it to the next off-line. The heck with that, open it when I bring your WesMar to you. :unsure:

;)

4 Barrel!!! Bring it to the next off-line. The heck with that, open it when I bring your WesMar to you. :unsure:

Got it when Scottj came to town to party with the Crü. heh heh heh But dude, it's not READY yet.

By the way, for those of you looking for wine bargains when in Rehoboth Beach, DE, try Chez La Mer on Monday nights. All wines, yes ALL OF THEM, are 1/2 price.

While I can't say that $185 is a "price point" for most buyers, Corduroy is offering d'Yquem 1995 for just that. I do believe that maybe a record price for this ledgendary chte. I've been busy trying to convince Tom to do it by the glass ( then even us service indusrty types could afford a sip :) ).

I can't name specifics, but the deal that Dino has from Sunday-Wednesday (all wines over $50 are 33% off) is the bargain of the year to my mind. I ate there with a friend and we had three really incredible bottles: Dalforno Valpolicella, Paolo Bea Montefalco Sagrantino Secco "Pagliaro" and one other wine (Dean, help me out here!) and we drank them for a song. That is reason enough to visit Dino before Thursdays.

While I can't say that $185 is a "price point" for most buyers, Corduroy is offering d'Yquem 1995 for just that. I do believe that maybe a record price for this ledgendary chte. I've been busy trying to convince Tom to do it by the glass ( then even us service indusrty types could afford a sip :) ).

Citronelle is serving the same d'Yquem by the glass.

I can't name specifics, but the deal that Dino has from Sunday-Wednesday (all wines over $50 are 33% off) is the bargain of the year to my mind. I ate there with a friend and we had three really incredible bottles: Dalforno Valpolicella, Paolo Bea Montefalco Sagrantino Secco "Pagliaro" and one other wine (Dean, help me out here!) and we drank them for a song. That is reason enough to visit Dino before Thursdays.

Wine Madness was scheduled to end Labor day. But we ahve decided to extend it on SUndays and Mondays only for the forseeable future.

Joe I forgot the third wine! Dang.... must be getting older. Was is from Puglia? Sharazad from Milleuna maybe?