Ray's The Classics, Silver Spring - Michael Landrum's Classic Steakhouse Sold To His Trusted Employees

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep asking on TS's chat but no answer. When will the Silver Spring location open?

This question has become the equivalent of asking a pregnant woman her due date.

What I originally thought would be a three/four month turn-around project actually requires in MoCo the same degree of architectural/engineering/ADA/WSSC permits/licensing/approvals as though I were building from scratch.

This participants on this board will be among the first to know when I have an opening date and will be privy to lots of surprises as well.

In the meantime I am busy rounding up the requisite very attrractive "interviewers" that every steakhouse needs to open.

thanks for the update. You picked a good spot but best of luck dealing with the county re wine and spirits; their policies are not consumer friendly to say the least. I gues I'll have to wander over to VA for a good steak in the meantime.

I walked past Ray's Silver Sprung on Friday. The interior was torn apart-- looks like they're starting from scratch.

I heard a rumor it won't open until September.

Last post in this thread was mid-April, and Sept. is past so the rumor mill got it wrong again (LOL). Seriously, any updates?

Meanwhile, two other developments in SS. There is a place called Taste of Jerusalem that looks like it will be opening soon; it's in the same block as the World Building, about midway between Crisfield and the new development area (same block as the old Polonia Deli). There is also a new ice cream place open two doors from Crisfield, near Mayorga. I haven't stoppd to take a close look at either. Anybody know anything more?

Edited by johnb

Seen on Colesville Road.

"Positions Available. Inquire Within"

Might this be a hopeful sign?

I would not get your hopes up yet...There may be some surprise 89th minute conceptual shifts, involving delay-causing custom hand-tooled Tuscan waterptoof leather, that can not be discussed here since any talk would fall victim to Don's newly-installed IAMLIT System (Integrated Anti-Michael Landrum Insta-delete Targeting System).

Edited by Michael Landrum

I would not get your hopes up yet...There may be some surprise 89th minute conceptual shifts, involving delay-causing custom hand-tooled Tuscan waterptoof leather, that can not be discussed here since any talk would fall victim to Don's newly-installed IAMLIT System (Integrated Anti-Michael Landrum Insta-delete Targeting System).

As opposed to IMACLIT (I, Michael, Always Cut Loose In Tangents). :lol:

[Me? Going to Hell? Oh yeah...

Rocks]

We can't wait for Ray's to open.  I drove by last weekend and saw the same notice.... I thought it was a hopeful sign...  Please open soon, Silver Spring needs your steaks!

Having had his crab bisque and salmon at the DR dinner, I can't wait to see what he does with a wider seafood menu... it'll be worth the drive, that's for sure!

Edited by Principia

Seen on Colesville Road.

"Positions Available. Inquire Within"

Which positions? Edit to say I don't picture Mr. Landrum as an acrobat, but you never know. :lol:

Seriously, this seems like progress. I hope the result (for Mr L, not us) is worth having to deal with MoCo.

Edited by Heather

Having had his crab bisque and salmon at the DR dinner, I can't wait to see what he does with a wider seafood menu... it'll be worth the drive, that's for sure!

Even more so since it is not what I will be doing with seafood, but rather what magic Chef Michael Hartzer will be creating. The core values and principles, the tools and support, and encouragement and guidance, and some creative collaboration and inspiration will be coming from me, but I cede to a talent far greater than mine in Silver Spring. For those not familiar with Michael's work, read DR's Citronelle past postings or just ask Mark how lucky I am to be able to work with Michael.

Even more so since it is not what I will be doing with seafood, but rather what magic Chef Michael Hartzer will be creating.  The core values and principles, the tools and support, and  encouragement and guidance, and some creative collaboration and inspiration will be coming from me, but I cede to a talent far greater than mine in Silver Spring.  For those not familiar with Michael's work, read DR's Citronelle past postings or just ask Mark how lucky I am to be able to work with Michael.

Ooooh, two mad geniuses are always better than one, unless explosives are involved. :lol:

Was he by any chance one of the mighty few who helped you perform that 52-person miracle that was the DR dinner?

Any chance of an update for those of us on the North side of the bridge?

I walked by there on Friday (4/14). Peeking in through the paper covered windows, we could see tables and chairs set up in a mostly organized fashion, as well as overhead lighting in what looks like a bar area.

From what I saw, if someone said it was opening this weekend, I'd believe them. But we couldn't see the kitchen and of course have no idea how hiring & supplying is going.

I recall someone had projected it was roughly 6 weeks from opening, so I figured that it would be around mid-May (just when I'm out of town, of course :) )

I'm hoping for something sooner, based on HV's tease to have patience. (chirp chirp) Every day on the way home as we drive down GA Ave, I crane my neck to look up Colesville Rd to see if the paper is off the windows...or if there is a sign up for parking in the back lot. I wonder---does anyone know if there will be parking in the back lot, or is that only for the AFI?

If we think of RC as the distaff side of the Two Michaels' burgeoning empire, we know she will; the question is, when?

"Wait for it!"

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat.

I just want a ribeye with blue cheese some time in this decade. :)

Another fun event! Great seeing everyone! I missed the DR.com at RTS so I made sure not to miss RTSC dinner. Michael Landrum and Michael Hartzer did it again! As always, thanks for the warm hospitality.

What a great way to start off with a refreshing glass of watermelon cooler with a touch of vodka and some secret ingredient the bartender told me. Dinner started wonderfully with wild yeast sour dough bread with bits of onions served with 4 types of interesting spreads rather than butter: liver mousse, onion marmalade, something with chicken and I can’t remember what the 4th one was. An array of hors d’oeuvres followed: 2 kinds of puffed pastry, one stuffed with green olives and anchovies, one with olives and blue cheese; 2 kinds of shrimp both stuffed with caramelized onion marmalade and pistachios, one wrapped in shredded phyllo briefly fried, one sandwiched in between 2 small square sheets of phyllo. Next came delicious chilled carrot soup, a nice palette cleanser to prepare us for the next course. For entrée, I was surprised we were given a choice of 4 dishes: veal chop with fava beans, pork chop with sauerkraut, black sea bass en papillote or of course, NY strip with a large mushroom cap stuffed with bone marrow, delish! Michael L. built up the description of the different veal chop from regular white milk fed veal he got from Quebec that a lot must have ordered it the 1st night. I heard the supply by the 2nd and 3rd nights was limited. Enjoying our meal with pinot noir and cabernet sauvignon, my companions and I were cool trying each other’s entrees. Our main topic of conversation—geoduck (geoduck sashimi, carpaccio of geoduck, boiled geoduck, etc.)! :unsure:;):P

The food was seasoned well and the meats were all cooked to a good med.-rare to med. Meat temperatures were looking good. Considering serving about 50 people all at once is really a hard, exacting thing to do that’s why food was delivered in waves.

For dessert, we received strawberry shortcake using biscuits or chocolate mousse parfait layered with fresh whipped cream, full of surprise bits of crunchy oats, nuts and brownies topped with a cookie tuile with tiny bits of nuts and perhaps coffee.

Mauri, I believe her name is, did a great job explaining the mission of Emmaus Services for the Aging. Interestingly, she explained what makes their center different is they don’t wait for the elderly (age 60+) to go to them; they actually go knocking on their doors for any services that could be provided. You can tell by her enthusiasm and dedication, they help keep the center in 9th St., NW in D.C. remain active and vital in their community.

What a wonderful gathering of happy people, superb food and attentive service.

Thanks again Michael L. and H., Don and hillvalley for another successful event! Your kind generosity is always appreciated.

any news?
You and me both. My brother's birthday is in mid-November and I can't wait to take him lunch there (he works in a building just above the Silver Spring Metro stop, but otherwise lives in the hinterlands of Maryland). I had some stuff that I dream about these days at one of St. Michael's DR.com dinners.

Michael:

Congratulations. Will you be open for lunch and do you have a bar menu will you also be working part time at RTS?

We will be open for lunch (not immediately though), we will have special bar offerings (ditto), however, we will have a somewhat distinctive menu format that will be best explained while in the restaurant.

But from now on I will only be working half days. I figure 10 until 10 should do it. Maybe 10:30 'til 10:30.

I don't normally come to Maryland for anything, but for Ray's the Classic, I may have to change that. Congratulations Michael (you must feel like a new daddy with all these congrats).

Based on the sneak preview, I would say it is definitely worth the trip!

Based on the sneak preview, I would say it is definitely worth the trip!
Actually, I want everyone to go there so that I can go to RTS anytime and get a table. The preview was wonderful, the commute not so much. "Foreign country" to quote someone from another forum.