Ray's The Classics, Silver Spring - Michael Landrum's Classic Steakhouse Sold To His Trusted Employees

A question about the mac & cheese. Has it changed into a more "traditional" mac & cheese, or is it still in the spaetzle form it was in during the preview? I thought the spaetzle was one of the highlights of the evening, and I hope it's changed as little as possible. :)
I think the mac & cheese is more traditional. However, the spaetzle has been combined with the creamed onions into a fantastic side dish. Try them both.

PS: the Metropolitan Police uses photo-enforcment of the speed limit on 16th Street. Take it from someone with 1st hand knowledge.

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though RTC is in Silver Spring and I live in Alexandria, I believe it is worth the journey (and I need to look at a map to find another way home other than 16th street, which is the longest street on the planet).
JG, Long having to leave SS in search of acceptable dining, I've found that the only real alternative is the Beltway to the GW Parkway. At 11 on a Friday night, they end up being about the same in terms of time. As I ubiquitously point out to Mrs JPW, where else will you find the 19th Street baptist church on 16th Street? Especially one whose original home was 18th Street? Other religious highlights incluse the dueling temples and the Ethical Society. Not to mention the beautiful Mason temples.

What the heck, I'll use this opportunity as my first post.

Might I suggest the Rock Creek Parkway as the best way home from Silver Spring to Alexandria? Take 16th Street and turn at Walter Reed to get into the Park. You can go all the way to the Memorial Bridge and then hop on the GW parkway.

Cheers.

What the heck, I'll use this opportunity as my first post.

Might I suggest the Rock Creek Parkway as the best way home from Silver Spring to Alexandria? Take 16th Street and turn at Walter Reed to get into the Park. You can go all the way to the Memorial Bridge and then hop on the GW parkway.

Cheers.

You can get to the park much earlier from Colesville but I can't explain it, I can only drive it...

Now if Michael would just add Tuesday nights so I could have dinner before my monthly meetings at the Ethical Society all would be good.

OK, I guess the relevance to the topic of this thread is how do you get home from RTC if you live in Alexandria. Other than going straight down 16th Street to the White House, etc, or GA Ave. to the Beltway, here is what Rocks says to do:

Colesville to dead end. Left on 16th. Right on Portal (or North Portal; they run parallel). Left on Beach. Follow Beach all the way to Virginia Ave (this is the part that requires knowledge). Get on I-66, then 110 South, then home.

OK, I guess the relevance to the topic of this thread is how do you get home from RTC if you live in Alexandria. Other than going straight down 16th Street to the White House, etc, or GA Ave. to the Beltway, here is what Rocks says to do:
Hmm, I find Braddock Road Metro-Yellow Line to Chinatown, Red Line to Silver Spring, short walk up the hill to RTC, eat, opposite course for home is much easier (otherwise, 95 over Wilson Bridge, north on 295/GW Parkway, off at Colesville, eat, reverse).

PS: the Metropolitan Police uses photo-enforcment of the speed limit on 16th Street. Take it from someone with 1st hand knowledge.
For what it's worth (and I apologize for straying off topic), the camera is on the Southbound side of 16th Street right after you pass Carter Barron.

I’m here to report that it is possible to start a Friday evening with a happy hour at Corduroy and blast up 16th St. in plenty of time to spend three hours gorging very happily at Ray’s the Classics. In fact, I highly recommend the combination. Michael Landrum was anchoring the front of house with aplomb and was a dashing figure, rivaling Todd Thrasher’s sartorial sensibilities. I’m not sure if he’s freshly returned from a tune-up trip to the McLean Pavilion, but he looked marvelously at ease, although I do miss seeing him coming out wrapped in his bloody apron, balancing huge platters of food.

Once we were seated in one of the spacious, comfy booths in the mid-section of the restaurant, we were treated to a bit of bubbly and some noshes to celebrate one of our birthdays. (Thank you Michael!) Many of the items we sampled during a couple of pre-opening meals made the final cut on the current menu, and there were some delicious new surprises too. It would be hard to pick favorites, but I would return again and again for the shrimp, biscuits, fried chicken (yes, hands-down better than what I tried at Palena), mac-n-cheese, Caesar salad, and the "cookies and milk" and strawberry shortcake, both of which were out of this world sublime. In all, to the best of my recall, among four of us we shared the following – and there wasn’t a “miss” among them:

Stuffed olives (without the anchovies)

Devilishly good eggs

Shrimp “cocktail”

Sausage biscuits

Crab fritters

Fried chicken (enough for two to share)

Veal chop

Rack of lamb

Potatoes au gratin

Mac n cheese

Crab "bomb"

Corn pudding

Creamed onions

Caesar salad

Dandelion salad

Waldorf salad

Peach charlotte

Strawberry shortcake

Key lime pie

“Cookies and milk”

Cheesecake with fig and cherry compote

I am not exaggerating when I say that you should go now, before the reviews come out and seats will be tough to get.

And oh yes, there are high chairs for the little ones. Peanut has already tried them out and declared them quite satisfactory.

For what it's worth (and I apologize for straying off topic), the camera is on the Southbound side of 16th Street right after you pass Carter Barron.

Actually, it's in the block alongside Carter Baron, where the big grass field is to your right, about 50-100 yards after you pass Kennedy St.

I drive this street several times a week. Haven't been caught yet, I think......

And oh yes, there are high chairs for the little ones. Peanut has already tried them out and declared them quite satisfactory.
Oh good! We'll bring the kids eventually. Tomorrow we lucked into a babysitter. :lol:

Crackers, I cannot believe four of you managed to try so many things. :)

Oh good! We'll bring the kids eventually. Tomorrow we lucked into a babysitter. :)

Heather, we went opening weekend with the kids, and they had a blast. We didn't rush either - almost 2 hours at the table. They dressed up, ordered "cocktails", split an entree (fried chicken of course). They tried everything on the table, salads, appetizers, etc. I think they were just so excited to be given the chance to dine in a really nice restaurant, that they were extra well behaved.

I want to mention something that I haven't posted about yet, but should have.

When Michael hosted the "preview" dinners for us Rockweilers, I reserved and paid for two seats. At the last minute, my wife couldn't join me. I sent a last minute email to Hillvalley and Rocks, to see if anyone could take a last minute cancellation spot, but there wasn't anyone they could get quickly enough (this was literally an hour before the event.) Rocks actually called ahead to Michael, and we spoke when I first got there. I asked if there was a way to take something home to her, but he said they really weren't set up for that yet, but if I came back after they opened, he'd "take care of her".

Well, we went opening Saturday. I mentioned nothing, because I didn't feel that I needed anything comped. I got more than a bargain at the preview even at twice the price, and since he donated the whole damned thing (and a bunch more) to charity, I definitely didn't deserve anything.

Well, after a fantastic meal, when our waiter delivered the check, he said "Michael said to take your wife's entree, and everyone's desserts, off the check." Of course, I tipped on the full amount, and thanked Michael profusely that evening, but I wanted to share it with all of you.

Totally unnecessary, and totally Landrum, all at the same time.

Last night was my first trip back to RTC since the preview dinner as I was lucky enough to get my parents to come out from the VA suburbs and take me and my fiance there. Here are some highlights (in addition to the gracious, attentive service and hospitality, of course)

Wild Yeast Bread: A great way to start the evening. The choices of spreads escape me, but were all a delicious substitute for butter.

Sausage Biscuits: One word, Incredible. Do yourself a favor and order these glorious creations. I could eat these every day for the rest of my life and never tire of them.

Mini-Crabcake: The quality of the crab was superb! Great bite-size morsels with a flaky crust that explodes with moist crab chunks.

Dandelion Salad w/ Bacon Vinagrette Dressing: Simple, elegant green goodness with a bacon-y finish.

Veal Chop "Oscar": Ever since having a single bite of this at the preview dinner, I have had my sights on this dish. This is bar none the best veal I've ever tasted and the crab is an excellent treat to top the dish.

Cocunut Cake: Usually I am not a cake guy at all...nor a fan of cocunut....but I been converted thanks to this delicious, moist concoction.

Everyone at the table was equally thrilled by the food, service, and ambiance. You know it was a good dinner when you keep replaying the meal in your head....and I will continue to do just that until my next visit.

(Sorry, but yet another I-come-to-praise-Michael, not-to-bury-him review: God, this is boring; we seem to be so in the tank for Landrum -- can't someone slam his restaurant once in a while just to relieve the tedium?)

Oh, well, anyway....

Disregarding my usual practice of steering clear of a restaurant during its first two months, our large party descended on RTC during its first weekend. (after all, this is Ray’s we’re talking about):

Hits:

Service, including timing of the courses (kudos to the kitchen and support staff. Also to our waiter, the same for us as our preview dinner, and much improved, by the way);

bread and schmears: even those schmears that didn't appeal personally at their recitation paired well with the excellent bread.

crab fritters and blackened scallops appetizers;

complementary salad course (a great idea, to whomever we should give credit);

Caesar salad (with stuffed croutons (who knew?): excellent);

sides (as I previously posted, the creamy onions with spaetzle, I believe a Michael L. creation, are fantastic; they will be one of my side orders henceforth. The potatoes gratin was superb, and both spinach sides, one with garlic and onion, the other with exotic mushrooms, were very, very good).

steaks, steaks, steaks. With one exception, they met our deservedly high expectations. One strip was not as superior as in the past at RTS or RTC preview (resulting from less than great cut coupled, perhaps, with request for extra char on med. rare steak, which brought it too close to medium. Note to self: next time forget extra char);

value (pre-tip total for cocktails, 3 apps, 7 steaks (2 hangers, 2 NY, 2 filets, 1 cowboy), 4 sides, bottle of wine ($46 Clos du Val cabernet), and coffees came to $45 per person. Simply incredible is all);

Michael H in the kitchen;

and lastly,

Michael L’s particular brand of bon vivancy, if you will.

Misses: too de minimus to mention, really. Really.

Worth the wait. I look forward to plowing through the rest of the menu, Crackers-style.

We had a lovely meal last night.

Starters: Sausage Biscuits, "Devilishly Good eggs". "Sausage biscuits" brings to mind sodden, crisco laden lumps with white gravy. That image could not be farther from what is served: light as air, spicy andouille biscuits with a little sauce alongside to dip into. And I love the tartare presentation.

Drink: Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Rose Premier Cru NV. Lovely, rosy sparkler that went surprisingly well with the spicy biscuits.

Salads: Dandelion Greens, Waldorf salad. I had to order the Waldorf - so old school. Scott really enjoyed the dandelion, but it's too bitter for Ms. Supertaster. Good bread, and our favorite among the spreads was the duck fat/parsnip.

Mains: Hanger steak with "BLT" salad for him, Veal Oscar for me. I got a small nibble of the hanger and it was tasty, but the perfectly medium veal is extraordinary - good enough that the crab and fava garnish is gilding the lily. Sides were the potato gratin and spinach souffle; they were very good but I was wishing we had ordered the spaetzle. Next time.

Wine: shiraz for Scott (Hazard Hill?) and the Tamar Ridge Pinot Noir for me. The Pinot matched the veal nicely.

Michael and our server (Peter? He was lovely) had a brief discussion as to whether we allowed to order dessert without finishing our meals. :) Moist coconut cake with fluffy white icing tasted as good as homemade. The strawberry shortcake was as described above, although we didn't think that the strawberry ice cream masked the flavor of the strawberries. And damn, Michael, who makes the biscuits? They are lighter than air.

We'll be back many times once we move to Takoma Park. I like the Deco/supper club vibe - it's absolutely from another time - and the view of the AFI. (You can pretend to be a movie star dining out before the big opening of your new film.) The value is excellent, and the wine list looks worthy of further exploration. What a great addition to Silver Spring, a counterweight to all the chains sprouting up like mushrooms.

(My four year old is chowing on the veal leftovers for lunch. Once he got a look at it I had no chance..."I want steak! I want steak!" :lol: )

Are there any vegetarian main dishes? (I assume the mac and cheese is a side dish).
There was an eggplant something, and maybe one other thing on the menu, IIRC. Plus, assuming no stock is used, the potato gratin, spaetzle, and mac & cheese, the salads other than the dandelion, and the spinach . Good vegetarian tasting plate material.

Are there any vegetarian main dishes? (I assume the mac and cheese is a side dish).

At both Ray's The Steaks and Ray's The Classics vegetarians dine very well. Chef Michael Hartzer has a fantastic, creative, composed vegetarian dish which features grilled eggplant and is very much in the spirit and style of his other grilled specialty items. At Ray's The Steaks a grilled portobello plate fits very nicely with the other straightforward steakhouse options. At both restaurants all of the vegetable sides are vegetarian.

I am of a very strong opinion that every diner, regardless of dietary preferences (but excluding those who squint-eyedly fetishize and glorify means of violent death), should be welcomed and served with the best that a restaurant and a chef has to offer.

At both Ray's The Steaks and Ray's The Classics vegetarians dine very well. Chef Michael Hartzer has a fantastic, creative, composed vegetatian dish which features grilled eggplant and is very much in the spirit and style of his other grilled specialty items.

My (+1) can attest to the grilled eggplant at Ray's the Classics. She loved the excellent taste, creativity and presentation of the dish....so much so that she did not share any with me. From her experience, vegetarians should not fear to dine at either of Michael's restaurants as Chef Hartzer does a great job with vegetarian dishes that keep the general theme of the other dishes (read: no steamed veggie "entree" as a vegetarian substitute).

At the preview dinner, Michael was very quick to get a veggie alternative whipped up for someone at our table. It looked as amazing as everything else we had.

He was not quick, however, to satisfy my request to add meat to the carrot soup. :)

Stuffed olives (without the anchovies)

Devilishly good eggs

Shrimp “cocktail”

Sausage biscuits

Crab fritters

Fried chicken (enough for two to share)

Veal chop

Rack of lamb

Potatoes au gratin

Mac n cheese

Crab "bomb"

Corn pudding

Creamed onions

Caesar salad

Dandelion salad

Waldorf salad

Peach charlotte

Strawberry shortcake

Key lime pie

“Cookies and milk”

Cheesecake with fig and cherry compote

Add to the list:

Prosciutto-wrapped figs

Field cress salad

Wild yeast bread and schpreads

Hanger steak with extra blue cheese

Coconut cake with pineapple compote (I believe that completes my dessert due diligence)

Old Dominion Summer Wheat (on tap)

- I continue to be amazed. A bunch of Rockweilers stopped by for happy hour, and a few of us stayed for dinner. Business was brisk last night - and Michael Landrum was back in his kitchen duds (I almost didn't recognize him without his suit on :) ) The service just keeps getting better. It was heartening to to see that almost all the parties took the time to stop and shake Landrum's hand and thank him personally on their way out into the night. Chef Hartzer obviously has the kitchen running quite well already, so maybe expanded hours aren't too far away.

Hi everyone! I just moved to Montgomery County and I'm excited about RTC. I have a couple questions for our experts.

1) Can someone describe the crab royale (crab bomb?) - whats in it?

2) Is the sausage biscuit like something I would get at McDonalds for breakfast (style not quality), or is the sausage mixed in the biscuit batter?

Hi everyone! I just moved to Montgomery County and I'm excited about RTC. I have a couple questions for our experts.

1) Can someone describe the crab royale (crab bomb?) - whats in it?

2) Is the sausage biscuit like something I would get at McDonalds for breakfast (style not quality), or is the sausage mixed in the biscuit batter?

1) Basically lots o' crab with a thick sherry sauce. We found the sauce to be similar to the crab bisque, but I'm almost certain that it is different by a bit. I wouldn't advise getting the crab bisque and the crab bomb though.. My GF did when we went and though they were both excellent they were similar enough that you should probably aim somewhere else for an app/soup (especially since there are so many good options).

2) Answered above, sausage is mixed in and there's a delicious sauce to go with it.

Just a few thoughts about my first dinner at RTC last night. It was a beautiful dining evening for me and my dinner partner. Every rave post I've read about RTC was in evidence, so my comments address only a few items I haven't seen discussed.

1 The Salmon - Covered with bits of toasted pistachio, it was perfectly cooked with a raisin sauce on one side and a green grape sauce on the other. Exquisite!

2) The Classic music - Big band and big band era ballads. Elegant!

3) The uncluttered classic windows - All the better to frame the classic view of the deco AFI Silver Theater across the street. Was that Dick Powell and Joan Blondell at a table across the room? Transporting!

4) The table spacing and acoustics - No crowding and absolutely no problem engaging in an honest to goodness polite conversation. Refreshing!

I digress - At our table last night the desserts were Coconut Cake and Peach Charlotte, both great! The best, without a doubt was the Peach Charlotte. That outer browned and sugary coating in contrast to the cake and peach inside was divine, and I haven't even mentioned the ice cream. Lip Smacking!

Michael and Eliot were working the room throughout our dinner. They are gracious and obviously thrilled to be doing what they are doing. Classic!!

Cheers to everyone at RTC.

Welcome, danlow. Nice first post. I went to one of Michael's preview dinners and was enthralled by the Art Deco-ness of the place. Such a departure from the decor (or lack thereof) of RTS. I didn't know Michael had it in him. I'm very glad that you enjoyed your meal, since we will be there later this week.

I just don't have the words (talent?) to do justice to our meal tonight. I am beyond thrilled with this place.

We started with cocktails, which is unusual for us. But, it was Craig's birthday and he likes martinis and at $8, he can drink all the martinis he wants. I had the peach Bellini. Sublime.

Craig is also a fan of sweet breads, which we happily discovered on the menu. He hasn't ordered them in years, ever since he had a truly disgusting version of them at a highly-regarded place, which will go unnamed. These were delicious and came with both a ramekin of dipping sauce as well as basil (?) oil on the plate. Hot and crispy outside, custardy on the inside. I had the sausage biscuits and was surprised to find four of them on the plate (I gave two of them to the birthday boy).

We each ordered the Caesar salad and I appreciated the portion size. Too many places serve salads that are way too large. This was perfect; and even though the "potato" croutons aren't authentic, they sure were good and went well with the salad (I usually ignore the rock-hard, stale things that are the norm in most places--when they aren't a soggy mush, that is).

Craig wanted the strip steak, like the one I had at one of the preview dinners. I also suggested he get the mushroom/brandy sauce, too. The thing was HUGE and even he couldn't finish the whole thing.

I got the salmon and it was just as danlow described it above. And, we split an order of the Potatoes

Anna (much better than at the same unnamed place).

We went with wine by the glass, since we were eating such different things.

So, let's review: 2 cocktails, 3 glasses of wine, 2 cups of coffee (with a free refill each), 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 1 side dish (Michael comped the peach charlotte that we shared): $107.20 before tip.

All that in such a lovely space with Ella and Frank softly singing in the background and the flowers in the Ladies' Room. I think I need better clothes to wear to dine there. :) I've just got to try that foie gras rumaki. And the rockfish, and the veal, and the chicken . . .

I just don't have the words (talent?) to do justice to our meal tonight. I am beyond thrilled with this place.

I was also there last night and second Barbara’s extremely positive impressions. One of our party of three of was seven-year-old who is normally a picky eater. She had the sausage biscuit of which she gobbled up two, her mother’s Caesar which she liked so much that she asked the waitress for another one (“Certainly”) which she ate totally, and an order of the macaroni and cheese appetizer. Her mother had the fois gras and the veal. I had the sweetbreads and the pan-fried chicken. Mother and daughter finished up with a key lime pie with loads of whipped cream. The bill, before tip, was $124, mainly because of mother’s three Kir Royales. This is a marvelous restaurant, which is excellent across the board. If you don’t want to do the valet parking, the parking lot behind the building is free—at least at that hour.

I had the sweetbreads and the pan-fried chicken.

I need to get back ASAP and order the sweetbreads (never had them before and definately interested) and chicken (with all the praise I can't pass it up).

I would highly recommend the delicious Veal Chop "Oscar" to anyone. It was so incredible that I almost wanted to gnaw on the bone to prolong the experience.

(Sorry, but yet another I-come-to-praise-Michael, not-to-bury-him review: God, this is boring; we seem to be so in the tank for Landrum -- can't someone slam his restaurant once in a while just to relieve the tedium?)
With pleasure. My fiancee and I dined there last night for the first time since the preview dinner. <!-- BEGIN SARCASM --!>I now present you, my fellow Rockwellians, with the first scathing review of this large-horned, gilded sacred cow.

Our reservation was for 7:45 but, thanks to generous traffic gods, we arrived at 7:20. So we happily set ourselves up for a long wait at the bar. This was not to be. We were immediately shown to a table. Well this was just completely unacceptable! If you can't run things on the clock, how can you expect to run things?

And then there was Michael. Did you ever think that maybe some people don't WANT to be warmly welcomed into your restaurant and made to feel like we're dining as guests in your home kitchen? SOME of us go out to eat to be treated like flies that need to be squashed, not like the royalty you make us feel like!

Then there's the food. The wild yeast bread would be FINE on its own, but nooooooooo. You have to serve it with four different types of spreads that completely accentuate the taste of the bread! I'm a one spread man. Give me butter or give me death. This level of choice just sends my brain a-whirling. They're all delicious, perfect compliments to the bread! Are you TRYING to make my head explode???

And the sausage biscuits. They were NOTHING like the hard, dry, tasteless Bisquick biscuits I was hoping for. In fact, they were the exact opposite! Moist, flaky, flavorful. And the little pieces of andouille throughout? I HATE surprises! And the sauce? Again! Where's my butter? And only FOUR? Just keep them coming. Michael's a sadist. Always leaving you wanting more, MORE! I don't come to restaurants to be tortured.

The caesar salad. Hello? They're supposed to have CROUTONS! What's with these delicious, amazingly light and creamy potato things? And complimentary? It's like he WANTS me to be confused by the check.

The fried chicken. What a gip! Where was my bucket of popcorn shrimp? Instead all we got was moist chicken with a crispy and novley-flavored skin that I would happily have eaten as my Last Meal. Now WTF? He's RUINING my enjoyment of Palena's chicken because now all I can think about is "Which is better?" And what was with those two dumpling things? They were so good that they made me want to vomit them back up just so I could eat them again. That's right, the food made me want to vomit.

I had the NY strip with the mushroom cream and bleu cheese. Can we say copycat? This restaurant in Arlington called "Ray's the Steaks" has almost the exact same dish, except here you get this incredible, wowing mushroom to go along with it. Everything was the same: beautiful char, perfectly cooked through to the medium rare center. Where's the originality? It's like they're run by the same guy.

Dessert was equally bad. All my fiancee could talk about was how much she wanted to get the Milk and Cookies. Hello? I was there, too! Pay attention to me! Eating at Ray's the Classics makes your dinner companion completely forget about anything but the food. Talk about ruining a good experience! And what's with the authentic cookies? Are we supposed to believe that we've been magically transported to a 1950s sweetshop in the Bronx by these miniaturized recreations of an American classic? And the egg cream... where's the egg? Where's the cream? The dessert was so good that my fiancee was brought to tears by their sheer deliciousness. You heard me right, our dinner at Ray's the Classics made my fiancee CRY.

Then the check came. HOLD THE PHONE. I'd been saving up all those hundreds of dollars for this measly little check? For the amount I was prepared to spend I could have gone to Outback many times over! Talk about deflated expecations.

So thank you, Michael(s). Thank you for providing a restaurant where even first-time guests feel like long-time regulars to your kitchen, thank you for serving food that completely overshadows everything else that's going on, thank you for providing confusingly underpriced menu items. In short, thanks for nothing!<!-- END SARCASM --!>

Oh crap... my Acme Sarcasmerator just exploded... :lol:

Seriously, Michael, as always, you've outdone yourself. My fiancee now wants to move to Silver Spring just so she can eat biscuits, cookies, and egg creams every day. I just want to be able to try one of everything.

I hope no one Google's "Ray's the Classics" and sees "made me want to vomit." :)

I would highly recommend the delicious Veal Chop "Oscar" to anyone. It was so incredible that I almost wanted to gnaw on the bone to prolong the experience.
I know what you mean. I save and froze the veal bone from the preview dinner. Just recently I rendered the fat down to saute some mushrooms, and used the bone (and small bits of attached meat pieces) in a small broth which I reduced to a delicious red wine sauce.

Any tips of when to call for reservations? I have been trying to call (for a dinner 4 weeks from now) and it just keeps ringing. Do I let it ring or just keep trying?

Thanks!

I have called after 1 pm on a Tuesday and yesterday (to confirm). I would think anytime before 5 pm will get you someone quickly.

I had the same issue, but then realized "duh, I'm calling on a Monday. They are closed on Mondays." No answering machine or voice mail from what I can tell. Smart - can you imagine how many messages would have to be transcribed? UGH.

We took our friends out to dinner there as a last meal before they move to Indiana. We had the foie gras, sausage biscuits, deep fried crab cakes and the shrimp for appetizers. I was not a big fan of the foie gras as it was missing something - but I can't put my finger on it yet. The shrimp were huge and cripsy and the lemon/citris sauce was a great touch. The deep fried crab cakes were very good and seeing that the crab fritters were not on the menu Saturday, this was a good substitute. The sausage biscuits were great. Some at the table didn't care for the gravy as they thought it was too spicey, but I liked it a lot and didn't really notice any true kick. There was a little bite to it, but I am not a fan of spicey food and this did not bother me in the least.

Two of us had the crab bisque and my wife had the cold carrot soup. The bisque was a bit on the salty side for what I am used to at Ray's in Arlington or other versions ... but as this restaurant is relatively new and still working things out, I imagine it was just that version that night. There were still nice chunks of crab in the bisque and it was very good (aside from the salt). The cold carrot soup was just as good as we had sampled at the preview dinner. This is a heck of a soup and if I didn't love crab so much, this would be a no brainer staple for me to order. I am glad my wife likes it so that I can still get a taste or 2!

For mains our friends both had filets. I had the NY Strip and my wife had the veal. That veal is amazing! I had it at the tasting and really liked it. The only time I have had steak in the past month or so was at Corduroy last Monday, so I ordered the NY strip. It was as expected, one of the best steaks, if not the best steak I can get in DC. The mushroom was exquisite with the bone marrow sauce. At the Don Rockwell preview for Ray's Classics he had the mushroom but it was cooked for a mass party of serving at an equal time, and Michael had mentioned that night that the preparation was not what he would be doing for ordinary small tables. He was spot on ... this mushroom was memorable!

For sides we had the corn pudding the spinach souffle and the potatoes augratin. The spuds were wonderful as the cheese was sharp and noticeable (not always the case with this dish at other restaurants). I didn't have any of the spinach so I can't speak to it, but the corn pudding was interesting. I had never had it before and I expected it to be sweet, but it was more of a substitute for mashed potatoes without the butter and definitely not overly sweet. I liked it once I could adjust for my expectations vs. the actual item.

For desert it was cheesecake for the wife, milk and cookies for me and one of our friends and the 4th had the chocolate trifle. Deserts were very good all around. The milk and cookies were interesting as the carbonated chocolate and regular sweet milk didn't quite wow me as much as others. The dark cookies were wonderful.

The highlight of the evening, aside from seeing our friends for the last time in a while, was having Michael stop by the table several times and he was wearing a full blown suit. I didn't recognize him at first because I would have expected an hawaiian shirt and shorts. The restaurant was very busy and the table behind us decided to give him a lot of grief because he is not serving coke/diet coke at this restaurant. I am a huge soda drinker and this didn't even bother me in the least ... and if it had, this is the sort of thing that would be an afterthought as you talk about the meal on your way home, but not something that I would give the owner of a restaurant an impolite ear full over. To each their own I guess, but Michael handled it very well considering he has been putting in 18 hr days.

The total check for 4 people (with dinner graciously comped) was still extremely reasonable. We didn't have wine on this outing as we were with our baby and our friends don't drink, but even with wine, this would not have broken the bank and we were completely stuffed with left overs to take home.

We had the foie gras, sausage biscuits, deep fried crab cakes and the shrimp for appetizers. I was not a big fan of the foie gras as it was missing something - but I can't put my finger on it yet.
I certainly agree about the foie gras. Certainly delicious, but certainly not the best foie gras dish I've ever had. And CERTAINLY not the same caliber as the other items on the menu. For certain.

I certainly agree about the foie gras. Certainly delicious, but certainly not the best foie gras dish I've ever had. And CERTAINLY not the same caliber as the other items on the menu. For certain.

A member of my party ordered the foie gras and I got a small taste. I thought it looked like packaged liverwurst does on the plate, but it was tasty enough. I think the problem for most people is that it looked different from what we'd get in a French restaurant.

The restaurant was very busy and the table behind us decided to give him a lot of grief because he is not serving coke/diet coke at this restaurant.

What soft drink is he serving then? I rarely drink soft drinks when we go to a nice restaurant so I'm not even certain how common it is not to serve coke/diet coke. It seems like a restaurant would need it though at least to make jack & coke, rum & coke, etc.

What soft drink is he serving then? I rarely drink soft drinks when we go to a nice restaurant so I'm not even certain how common it is not to serve coke/diet coke. It seems like a restaurant would need it though at least to make jack & coke, rum & coke, etc.

They are serving Boylans sugar cane cola.

My wife and I are mostly soda drinkers and I was very pleased to see the Boylan's diet cola served to her. Boylan's is top notch when it comes to soft drinks and I'm always stocking it at home from Trader Joe's.

I treated myself to a couple (I think) Hook and Ladder Goldens. Tho wine is all the rage, I was slightly disappointed that our server couldn't give a description of the beer further than "It's lighter". However in my mind this was almost a moot point because I knew I was in Michael and Michael's hands. The Golden was delicious, perfectly balanced hop/malt and a nice dryness.

It was 7:30 Saturday and a nice crowd, all tables seated. I won't reiterate the usual suspects we ordered because they are covered many times over in this thread. I will say that the proscuitto wrapped figs were a revelation and that the peach charlotte was sublime.

We traveled 40 minutes from Nova for this res and I would and will do it again in a NY minute. Definitely an A+ experience (Just know the beers as well as the Wines ! :-) )

BD

The restaurant was very busy and the table behind us decided to give him a lot of grief because he is not serving coke/diet coke at this restaurant. I am a huge soda drinker and this didn't even bother me in the least ... and if it had, this is the sort of thing that would be an afterthought as you talk about the meal on your way home, but not something that I would give the owner of a restaurant an impolite ear full over.

This just makes me laugh out loud. The owner of this restaurant goes out of his way to find something unique and delicious, and gets yelled at because he doesn't have the lowest common denominator garbage available. I warned Michael that Silver Spring was a tough market 2 years ago! :):):wub:

It reminds me of my Nectar stories........ but that's another post.