Uncle Julio's Rio Grande Cafe - Texas-Based Tex-Mex Chain in Several Area Locations

I was driving by the Fairfax Corner location on Friday night around 7:00 PM and there were three people outside holding up signs protesting the fact that Rio Grande serves frogs legs. At first, I didn't understand what the signs said, they were messy and it took me a few seconds to even remember that Rio Grande served them, so I had already driven by before it all clicked in my head. The protestors were two girls and a guy, they looked to be in high school, not sure what their real issue was. I may be naive about this, but are the way that restaurants get their frogs legs any different than any other meat?

I was driving by the Fairfax Corner location on Friday night around 7:00 PM and there were three people outside holding up signs protesting the fact that Rio Grande serves frogs legs. At first, I didn't understand what the signs said, they were messy and it took me a few seconds to even remember that Rio Grande served them, so I had already driven by before it all clicked in my head. The protestors were two girls and a guy, they looked to be in high school, not sure what their real issue was. I may be naive about this, but are the way that restaurants get their frogs legs any different than any other meat?

click

I am still unsure why they are targeting the Rio Grande. This group almost makes it sound like Rio Grande is the only restaurant that sells frog legs. I had them there once and agree with those upthread that they were terrible. I cannot imagine they sell many of them. This was not a dish you order a second time. A tough rubbery mess. They should take them off the menu, but not for the reasons cited by Save the Frogs.

In retrospect, they had to be frozen. I don't see a chain sending people out to pick out the freshest frog legs :lol:

frozen is no excuse for frog legs not being absolutely delicious. dredged and being sauteed in the pan, they remind me of a degas painting.

haven't been to rio grande (bethesda location) in a couple of years. do they still have the cabrito? that was good in the early days, served on thursdays if i recall correctly.

was sansar one of the stores you were looking for? i know it's not where it used to be, around the corner from the ignoble barn of a bookstore. i believe there is an association, interior decor and otherwise, with new heights. or at least there once was.

Maybe it was a school project to protest something and see how people reacted. The types of frogs that are eaten seem to be fairing ok, they are probably farm raised, so not much different than eating chicken one would think?

It was too nice yesterday afternoon to not sit outside, so we walked up to Fairfax Corner and sat at one of the final tables open on the large patio (every one was taken by 4:15 PM, guess no one works anymore). I can't speak much to the food as I have a terrible cold and can't taste anything at this point, but what I can speak to are the prices. I don't frequent Rio Grande, or any mid-level chains like it, but I was shocked by the prices on the menu yesterday. $12.95 for chicken quesadillas, $17.95 for tacos al carbon, some entrees easily surpassed $20. Is this indicative of similar restaurants these days? It seems like the more upscale places (Palena, Corduroy, Eve) are trying various tactics to make eating out affordable, so I am surprised that a place like this is jacking up their prices.

Ever since I've been going there - so, let's say, the 6 1/2 years since I moved to NoVA - I've always felt Rio Grande was expensive for what you got.

Those don't seem dramatically more than what I remember, and it's been a while since I've been there. (I was actually thinking of going back there for old times' sake - now I'm reconsidering....)

Ever since I've been going there - so, let's say, the 6 1/2 years since I moved to NoVA - I've always felt Rio Grande was expensive for what you got.

i agree -

i use to live two blocks north of the rio grande in the early to mid 90's [before there was a light at every intersection on fairfax drive] and ate there a lot. i always thought they were expensive for what they were but i liked the food and it was convenient. in the blizzard of '96 i did not mind paying a lot because i was thankful to have somewhere to go!

i have been maybe four times in the last ten years and most recently a few months ago - the experience was not as good as it use to be and seemed even pricier.

one thing that was consistent from my lapse - they still charge for a side of cheese :)

THey also like to up-sell on everything.

The charge for sides of everything. I got a side of tomatoes and lettuce once and I think the charge was 2.95. Basta!

However, when I am tired, hungry, and get off the metro on my walk home i find myself there more often then I would like to admit. It's the damn fajita smell that gets me every time.

I agree it is too expensive for what you get, as well. But we still go from time to time to the Arlington location because it is 1/2 block from the house and that is just well super convenient on nights I am tired, look like hell and therefore not going to Willow, I don't have enough energy to cook and don't feel like waiting for delivery Mexican/Tex-Mex.

There are so many pitfalls on the menu too.

...look like hell...

Is that possible :)

The only thing that has ever endeared me to Rio Grande is the quality of the chips, but even that will not get me to cross town any longer - now when I want to get my gloppy Tex/Mex on (I have a special place in my gullet for good gloppy non-authentic Mexican food), I head over to Cantina Mexicana on 23rd St near Crystal City.

A log time ago when The Rio Grande was i their origial location in Bethesda they offered Cabrito(Goat Leg) oe ight a week. This was both amazig i flavor compared to the glop ad a tremedous bargain as that goat leg could feed me for several days.

Alas..o more Cabrito

A log time ago when The Rio Grande was i their origial location in Bethesda they offered Cabrito(Goat Leg) oe ight a week. This was both amazig i flavor compared to the glop ad a tremedous bargain as that goat leg could feed me for several days.

Alas..o more Cabrito

I think that your 'n' key died a quick and painless death.

Had fajitas in Ballston last night because well we wanted to stay close and eat quickly and didn't want burgers. If this place was any further away from our house I doubt we would ever go, but 1/2 block away is well- very convenient. What is sad is that I make fajitas all the time, but that is one of the few good things here, so that is what I order. I kind of detest the huge platter thing they bring it out on because it makes eating eat with the rice and beans and not using tortillas quite hard without an extra plate, which there isn't room on the table for. But the fajitas themselves were fine. Nothing special, but not bad.

I agree - the fajitas are the best item on the menu. The other items, in my experience, are oversalted and heavy on the cheese or lard accompanied the usual gut bloating suspects. The fajita platter is indeed huge but if one goes easy on the chips and has fajitas why, that can be a decent Tex-Mex meal which is a darn tootin' hard commodity to find in NoVa.

Uncle Julio's is the best Mexican food I have found in NoVa. Very good Chips & Salsa, and fresh tortillas. The pork ribs and shrimp brochette are pretty good. The fish specials range from really good to bad.

I just wish there was a Pappa's restaurant. When I was in Texas over the holiday, I found the food much tastier at Pappas (especially the Shrimp Brochette).

The closest Pappasito's is in Cincinnati; alternatively Atlanta and west of Chicago. I must tell you that Pappasito's in Dallas and Houston taste better there than near Chicago. Of course Uncle Julio's tastes better in Dallas than it does in Reston.

My lunch at the Ballston location this past Friday was not terrible, but certainly not great. Edible chips and salsa followed by fish tacos....I've had better and I've had worse. Two companions had the chicken quesadilla....I didn't have the heart to tell them that a few steps away was a mighty good barbecued chicken flatbread at Willow, but what the heck....

I had a late lunch at the Rio Center with BLKindergartner today. We took him a few months ago and he has been obsessed with the fajitas ever since.

We both had the lunch mixed beef and chicken fajitas. I don't think the chicken has much flavor but I really enjoy the beef a lot. It reminded me of the early days of Cactus Cantina when it was a wonder.

Not crowded but still seriously loud. I don't think we've ever been there when it wasn't loud though.

I still think the Rio Center's dining options mostly suck. We just rotate around them until we forget why we stopped going to each one.

We both had the lunch mixed beef and chicken fajitas. I don't think the chicken has much flavor but I really enjoy the beef a lot. It reminded me of the early days of Cactus Cantina when it was a wonder.

When Matt was an infant, we spent many a meal at both Rio Grande (now Uncle Julio's) and Cactus Cantina.

He was mesmerized by the tortilla machines, and it was wonderful to have him entertained for a few precious minutes while I desperately scarfed down chips and salsa (I still remember the headdress near the entrance of Cactus Cantina is made with real porcupine quill).

I know how this is going to sound.  BUT Rio Grande, at least in Ballston, has revamped a bit.  Not the dining room, but the food.  We were in last week when I got home for part of Christmas and was getting ready to leave again.  I wanted Mexican food (something different) and was really craving fajitas and didn't have the energy to make them.  The menu here has many of the same things, but a few new things.  I never really had qualms with their chicken fajitas and they were still good, not really very different, although I thought the chicken was better quality.  MK had the juanitas platter and it was remarkably better and he had a lot more options with it than before.  So anyway just an update.  We don't go here a lot even though it is super close because it tends to be pricey, compared to other options.  But at least now the food seems to be a little better.

• Like 2

Hubby and I have ended up Uncle Julio's a couple times now in the last month during packing marathons when we don't look great, are hungry and don't want to go far.  Why Uncle Julio's in particular is what Hubby has wanted, who knows, but it is what it is.  I have noticed that the dessert chocolate pinata is super popular with kiddo birthdays, that was a great marketing decision.  I have also seen it come out for a bachlorette and etc.  Genius marketing.  The chicken fajitas haven't changed.  I also have gotten the platter with all chicken stuff (coronada?) the chicken taco isn't bad, and neither are the chicken enchiladas.  Not stellar, but not bad.  Their tamales are sometimes more dry than other times, not my favorite item, but I end up eating it.  

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

Hubby and I have ended up Uncle Julio's a couple times now in the last month during packing marathons when we don't look great, are hungry and don't want to go far.  Why Uncle Julio's in particular is what Hubby has wanted, who knows, but it is what it is.  I have noticed that the dessert chocolate pinata is super popular with kiddo birthdays, that was a great marketing decision.  I have also seen it come out for a bachlorette and etc.  Genius marketing.  The chicken fajitas haven't changed.  I also have gotten the platter with all chicken stuff (coronada?) the chicken taco isn't bad, and neither are the chicken enchiladas.  Not stellar, but not bad.  Their tamales are sometimes more dry than other times, not my favorite item, but I end up eating it.  

I eat at the Ballston Uncle Julio's a couple of times a year.  Its usually with a friend or two (pretty much the same friend--he likes Uncle Julio's).  Its always fine in my mind.  As to the genius marketing stuff--they have a few of those, or so I've been told by former staffers. 

I end up with fajitas or chicken enchiladas...always.  Always okay.  Not great, but way above bad. 

I remain amazed though.  Uncle Julio's has stood the test of time in that location while so many restaurants have come and gone.  I believe they have been there over 30 years now.  There has to be some genius in it.  Right food.  Right pricing and value and some clever marketing.  

10-20 years ago Uncle Julio's was in my kids wheelhouse.  Who can resist a huge plate of fajitas.  I remember that once a week they had goat leg, Cabrito, which was amazing.  I think that ship sailed.

Haven't been in a long time but they recently opened up in Annapolis.  Will have to go soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkS said:

10-20 years ago Uncle Julio's was in my kids wheelhouse.  Who can resist a huge plate of fajitas.  I remember that once a week they had goat leg, Cabrito, which was amazing.  I think that ship sailed.

Haven't been in a long time but they recently opened up in Annapolis.  Will have to go soon.

Seriously, I think it's been at least 15 years since they had the Cabrito.

When they first opened in the area, it was really good Tex Mex. Now it's just another Tex Mex chain, though I hear that if you go to the Texas locations they're still good.

On 8/1/2018 at 8:09 AM, MarkS said:

At least the tortillas are fresh.  Those tortilla machines may well outlast us.

I am picturing a Wall-E type earth where a deserted Uncle Julio's buried mostly by trash is just still spitting out tortillas.  (I realize the dough has to be placed on the thingy, but I just like the picture of this)

• Like 2