Sign in to follow this  
DonRocks

Brooks Robinson (1937-), Baltimore Orioles 3rd Baseman (1955-1977) and The Greatest Defensive Baseball Player of All Time

This week, the great Washington Nationals blog, talknats.com, is publishing, in serial format, a seven-part, persuasive, long-form essay I've written, making the case for the great Brooks Robinson being the greatest defensive baseball player of all-time, at any position. The first entry is linked to below - please retweet, and then follow along, and put forth any comments or criticism that you may come up with. The entire seven-part serial will be published here, but only after talknats.com gets their chance to finish it. Note: I did not make one penny from writing this piece, and wrote it completely as a labor of love - Robinson's fans and admirers are getting older, and are mostly deceased at this point, and I am (at age 56) about the youngest person remaining on this Earth to really remember Robinson's career, even if I only actually remember the tail-end of it - I think it's absolutely imperative that I do this now, while Brooks is still with us, because I'll never get it done otherwise.

As to "why talknats.com?" A very simple answer: My mom was Andy Lang's first-grade teacher, and even though we haven't seen each other for decades, I've known Andy for over 50 years - he's co-owner of talknats.com. I can think of no better reason than to acknowledge and assist a life-long friend, and I'm happy for talknats.com to have first publication credit for this. 

When they're finished, I'll publish the entire long-form entry here as well, but I want them to have publication credentials because, well, why not?

Note: The entire seven-part serial takes approximately three hours to read, and it isn't made for skimming or glossing over - I ask you to either read and study it, in its entirety, in book form, like you're studying a novel; or to save it for when you have time to do it justice.

Please click here, and follow the links to Entry #1.

Cheers,
Rocks

• Like 1

Hi Don,

Looking forward to viewing the rest of the Brooksie essay (5-7) that you’ve written.  They are taking a bit of time to post and I’m impatient ; )

I think the thing that most people forget about is that Brooks was 33 years old during the ‘70 WS. He had already been in the league for 15 years making the same type, and even better plays in the past.  Also, I think you mentioned it, but he positions himself far better than most, if not all, of these modern 3rd sackers.  

Just an observation, but one of the last games I saw in Tampa, Rays vs O’s there were at least three balls hit between 3rd and Short on the O’s infield that went through.  Also, one through the 5 hole on Longoria.  How often did you ever see one go through 3rd and Short w/Aparicio, Balenger, Hanson?   

1 hour ago, Mark70Z said:

Hi Don,

Looking forward to viewing the rest of the Brooksie essay (5-7) that you’ve written.  They are taking a bit of time to post and I’m impatient ; )

I think the thing that most people forget about is that Brooks was 33 years old during the ‘70 WS. He had already been in the league for 15 years making the same type, and even better plays in the past.  Also, I think you mentioned it, but he positions himself far better than most, if not all, of these modern 3rd sackers.  

Just an observation, but one of the last games I saw in Tampa, Rays vs O’s there were at least three balls hit between 3rd and Short on the O’s infield that went through.  Also, one through the 5 hole on Longoria.  How often did you ever see one go through 3rd and Short w/Aparicio, Balenger, Hanson?   

Hey Mark, it's coming (and I'm going to post the entire thing here when it's finished) - there was something of a misunderstanding among the readers there (see the comments in entry #4 along with my reply, but to all others: Keep in mind this serial is intended to be read like a book, and people should start at entry #1). I think the Admins don't want to veer too blatantly off-topic from the Nats, as Spring Training began last Wednesday - they're a hyper-focused website, and unbeknownst to me, this serial is actually *off-topic* for them!

You know, the more I watch that Tolan bunt single in Game 3, I'm becoming convinced that it *was* rolling foul, but hit a pebble in the dirt that made it veer back onto the grass (look closely at the slow-motion replay - the ball is heading foul, then suddenly it hops up off the ground (it *must* have hit a pebble), and then cuts back to the right).

Want to see something cool? Google Brooks Robinson defense. Man, you just never know what will happen until you try something.

Screenshot 2018-02-24 at 12.41.33.png

If anyone wants to read the serial on Talknats.com, start with the first entry here (if you want to keep reading afterwards, you can change the "1-7" in the URL to "2-7" then "3-7" etc.)

It will actually be better to read here, because you can click on each picture and blow it up to full-screen.