DonRocks

The Washington Nationals (2005-), 2016 National League East Division Champions (95-67)

Fastest game of the year:  2:29.  10-1 against the Mariners and the 10 were scored against the starting pitcher (poor guy), in the rain.

---

Jayson Werth (Pat)

• Like 1

Al Dente   

Hellooo? Helllllooooo?

The last post in this thread was from 5/23. WTF? We have a contender here! Well, if the bullpen gets their shit together.

TedE   
On 5/1/2017 at 11:07 AM, TedE said:

With Eaton out the chance is pretty much off the table (and with 170 runs in April, the 10th highest ever, I still contend it's a possibility).  A lead off man's OBP is a strong determinant of runs scored over the course of a season.  Unless Trea (maybe) or Taylor (unlikely) can pick up the slack.  It's a huge loss.  I guess now their chance is to have a game like yesterday every other week to pad the stats!

On pace for 894 runs at the break.  Having lost their lead off man in the first weeks, and now their other lead off option recently, that is pretty impressive.  The offensive drop off in the past few weeks is probably indicative of where they will end up in the 875+ range (but they also have 14 games left with Mets/Phillies, and have been feasting on bad pitching, so I expect a few more of those 12-16 run outbursts).  Who knows when Werth returns, but his replacement platoon of Raburn/Goodwin have held their own.  I bet even when he comes back he'll get more days off for pitching match ups.  The relief corps is still dreadful, but has flashed signs of competence recently. 

TedE   

Two arms added to the bullpen over the weekend.  These are a move to get relief back to stability, but I don't think this was THE move.  They need a more options for a closer, not some guys who *could* fill in the role.  I think Doolittle can be more than advertised, though. 

Offense is clearly not going to be a problem!  OI wouldn't want to have been within arm's reach of Scherzer on Saturday, though.  He walks off the mound with a 10-0 lead, and in the ninth they had the tying run on deck.  If that game had been 2-0 and Dusty came out to pull him I think you would have seen Mad Max go off and demand to stay in the game.

Edit: 4-0 with no outs top of 1st just now.  Yeah, feasting on mediocre pitching.  I think they are now on pace for 919(?) runs after 3.1 games of this series.  FOUR batters in the top 11 of all MLB for average (Murphy, Harper, Zimm, Rendon).  On Saturday they briefly had the 1-2-3 leading batters in the NL!  Buster Posey's weekend nudged him up to #2.

• Like 1

TedE   

Over the span of the 3rd and 4th innings this afternoon the Nats:

- Sent 21 batters to the plate

- Went 13-for-18 with 3 walks (2 issued to Scherzer)

- Hit 7 HRs including the 5 by the first 6 batters of the 3rd inning (Murphy was the slacker after they started off 4-4 in the inning)

- Scored 13 runs

They've scored 22 runs over the last 5 innings including last night.  Fun baseball is fun!

• Like 1

DonRocks   
2 minutes ago, TedE said:

including the 5 by the first 6 batters of the 3rd inning

This must at least tie an MLB record.

TedE   
3 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

This must at least tie an MLB record.

I think the 4-in-a-row to start the inning does, unless somebody has done better since 2010

TedE   
2 minutes ago, TedE said:

I think the 4-in-a-row to start the inning does, unless somebody has done better since 2010

And apparently the 5 total also ties the record for most HRs in an inning!  It's funny, I would have thought that number would be higher over the course of baseball history.

DonRocks   
25 minutes ago, TedE said:

And apparently the 5 total also ties the record for most HRs in an inning!  It's funny, I would have thought that number would be higher over the course of baseball history.

Yes, but not with only one out!

(If 4-in-a-row to start the inning ties the record, then 5-out-of-the-first-6 by definition at least ties the record, and maybe breaks it.)

I assume Scherzer will pick up the win today?

Wait a minute, do they have *8* home runs so far?!

saf   
3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Wait a minute, do they have *8* home runs so far?!

Yes, that is what they ended up with. A team record, but the MLB record is 9.

And Max did not make any outs.

• Like 1

DonRocks   

A couple of important facts:

"Ryan Zimmerman Passes Frank Howard for Most Home Runs in Washington History" by Tyler Conway on bleacherreport.com

"Nationals Land Twins' Kintzler in Deadline Deal" by Noah Frank on wtop.com

In Tom Boswell's chat today, someone asked, "Should the Nationals prioritize a reliever or starter?" I breathed a sigh of relief when Boswell answered, "Closer, closer, closer." The Nationals may have given up more than Kintzler is worth on the open market, but right now, Kintzler is what you need.

dracisk   

Gio Gonzales with a no hitter in the bottom of the 8th against Miami. Bryce Harper just made a great catch battling the lights to keep it going.

3 hours ago, dracisk said:

Gio Gonzales with a no hitter in the bottom of the 8th against Miami. Bryce Harper just made a great catch battling the lights to keep it going.

... and it's done in the bottom of the ninth. Oh, well.

• Like 2

That was exciting! And the Miami crowd really responded well to Gio. I was in the crowd at Nationals Park when Randy Johnson got his 300th win, and the reaction from the crowd was similar to what we saw last night.

• Like 1

dracisk   
42 minutes ago, MC Horoscope said:

And the Miami crowd really responded well to Gio.

He's from Miami (Hialeah), so it makes sense that the crowd would be particularly interested in his success!

• Like 1

Tonight's game, delayed 3 hours, has brought a new addition to the DL (and I personally wouldn't be surprised if it's for the rest of the season) after Harper slipped on 1st base at full speed in the bottom of the 1st.  Legs are not supposed to move that way.  He couldn't put any weight on left his leg as he left the field.  I'm sure there are tears in some of his knee ligaments.

• Sad 1

DonRocks   
12 hours ago, lovehockey said:

Tonight's game, delayed 3 hours, has brought a new addition to the DL (and I personally wouldn't be surprised if it's for the rest of the season) after Harper slipped on 1st base at full speed in the bottom of the 1st.  Legs are not supposed to move that way.  He couldn't put any weight on left his leg as he left the field.  I'm sure there are tears in some of his knee ligaments.

Thank goodness it's just a bone bruise, and not a ligament or tendon tear. Still, bone bruises can *hurt like hell* - I fell on my knee in January (wet kitchen floor), and I was howling for about ten minutes on the ground - I thought *sure* I had cracked my kneecap, but I guess I didn't. The pain died down in about two weeks.

DonRocks   

Jul 29, 2017 - "Nationals Acquire Howie Kendrick from Phillies" by Daniel Rapaport on si.com

Aug 15, 2017 - "Howie Kendrick Hits Two Home Runs for Nationals against Former Team" on csnmidatlantic.com

Kendrick has homered in 3 of his last 4 at-bats, including a walk-off, 11th-inning, Grand Slam on Sunday against San Francisco.

Gio Gonzalez lowered his ERA to 1.79 tonight - the best ERA in the major leagues.

There's something to be said for depth.

• Like 1

TedE   
14 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Gio Gonzalez lowered his ERA to 1.79 tonight - the best ERA in the major leagues

With Scherzer's continued dominance, angst around yet more Strasburg time on the DL and the abysmal bullpen, Gio has been having himself a hell of a year in the shadows.  I think it suits him well.  The dig on him over the past several seasons since his stellar stretch in 2012 has been that he lets the pressure get to him when things go awry in the early innings and tends to unravel.  No reason to think that wouldn't apply to being in the constant spotlight, either.  When he's just allowed to go out and pitch while the news focuses on seemingly every National not named Gio Gonzalez he's at his best.

TedE   
15 hours ago, DonRocks said:

As a friend pointed out the replacements for the entire starting outfield have posted a combined 4+ WAR (the literal "replacements" in Wins Above Replacement are outperforming themselves!).  We may not see a projected starter in the outfield until the end of this month, even next month without a division race to worry about (whenever Werth comes back).  If healthy (a HUGE "if" this season) a Harper, Werth, Goodwin/Taylor/Kendrick outfield is an incredible luxury.

Al Dente   
16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I've heard it's more about girth.   :ph34r: