Applebee's - Sex NASCAR Harry Potter Paris Hilton - Ha Ha Ha, Now It Will Come Up on Google

I ate at the Ballston's Applebees the other week.  I was in Ballston for a late business meeting and was curious abt the restaurant scene.  My old retail real estate experience suggests to me that the restaurants on the West Side of Glebe should be slower...but I certainly don't know that as a fact, and the other side of that old experience tells me the only way to know is to be there during typically busy hours/ lunch, HH after work and evening hours. 

It was a Thursday night maybe 7ish to 8ish  Both Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebees were reasonably busy.   They were FAR from empty.  By comparison I've been to the new Ambar in Clarendon now 3 times and while its been packed the places next to it have been EMPTY.   not Buffalo Wild Wings or Applebees this particular evening.  I haven't been to an Applebees in a while.

It was okay.  I had a smallish steak order/ with roasted potatoes and a soda.  It was fine.  I didn't expect GREAT quality...but it wasn't bad and I think the bill before tip was around $21. It filled me up, it was more than adequate, and reasonably okay...I wasn't expecting anything more...and was grateful it wasn't less.

Nice to know.  If I'm on the road I'd easily stop at an Applebee's.  Assuming they stick to certain standards I know I'll get reasonable quality for the price.

I don't think that having an Applebee's, a Wide World of Beer or a Buffalo Wild Wings diminishes the food opportunities in the area, but rather expands it to reach even more folks.  I still find it perplexing.  In that one building on Fairfax Drive, Uncle Julio's has existed the entire time the office building has been up and the other side of that atrium has continuously had restaurant turnover, with Willow being the latest change (albeit for a reasonable run of about a decade).  I'll add something.  I walked into Buffalo Wild  Wings, and was in Applebee's.  I can't vouch for this, but I might have been the only consumer in either place that reads DR.com.  Its a big world out there.

• Like 1

I've wandered over to that Applebee's a few times when the Sunday madness at BWW gets to be too much.  It is actually a perfectly fine place to sit and have a beer.  The food is what you'd expect, though the table service has been sub par at times.  I would imagine their daily business is tied somewhat heavily to the occupancy rates at the nearby Westin and Holiday Inn - I've noticed its rare to find an Applebee's more than a few hundred yards from a hotel these days.

22 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Sohaib is a friend of mine on Twitter who lives in Pakistan.

Whatever you did, the UK did it too. I think this is about EU tracking rules. Rather than comply, some sites just block international access. Washington Gas is one of many I’ve come across.