Dwayne Wade (1982-), Shooting Guard for the Miami Heat (2003-) and Ten-Time NBA All-Star

DaveO

Over the majority of the last 11 eleven years Dwayne Wade has arguably been either the best or 2nd best shooting guard in the NBA, with his only real peer or equal being Kobe Bryant, a player who is often matched against Michael Jordan as best ever, or best ever shooting guard.

That is how good Dwayne Wade has been.  Its rarefied air.  He is a little shorter than Bryant or Jordan with fewer distinctive "call it your own signature" moves.  He has garnered less overall publicity.  Before Lebron James joined the Heat Wade led them to one NBA championship in 2006 playing with an older somewhat over the hill , on a downward career level, but still sometimes dominant Shaq.

Regardless Wade is among the best players in basketball history.  He has had a unique combination of extraordinary explosiveness, superior body control, an ability to keep the basket in his vision, when his legs were stronger a very effective outside shot, and an ability to attack the basket from any angle that has been at the very highest level of basketball history.  Wade has attacked the basket so often and consistently over a decade that he has taken innumerable tumbles and falls and crashes.  Its no wonder his body, legs and knees are a "wreck".

This year the Heat rested Wade all season long.  He kept missing games.  They occurred consistently and sporadically.  (huh) but throughout the season.  Dwayne Wade was not an all star.

Over the last three games Wade has played exceptionally well, demonstrating his unique skills.  The Heat closed out Brooklyn in a competitive game, Lost to Indiana in the first game of that series, and beat Indiana in the 2nd game, at Indiana.  In the latest game really only Wade and Lebron James consistently shown for Miami.

If Miami is to once again win the NBA championship, a fragile wounded Dwayne Wade will have to play well throughout the Indiana series and then against whomever they face from the West.  Will he or won't he?  TBD.

A long but extraordinary video of Dwayne Wade highlights over the years.  Singular and spectacular attacking the basket, astonishing body control, superb leaping ability, breathtaking defense, moves that embarrass defenders:

Over the majority of the last 11 eleven years Dwayne Wade has arguably been either the best or 2nd best shooting guard in the NBA, with his only real peer or equal being Kobe Bryant, a player who is often matched against Michael Jordan as best ever, or best ever shooting guard.

I've always thought Wade was one of the most underrated players in the NBA. In terms of national recognition, he's almost always mentioned by his peers, but fans tend to overlook him when it comes to all his considerable achievements (see the tags on this thread). Obviously, he's also now overshadowed by LeBron James despite Wade being the Heat's all-time leading scorer. He has also been a 3-time all-NBA Defensive second teamer, so he's hardly a one-trick pony. The video (with its annoying gladiatorial music) explains much of this: It's obvious from his highlights that Wade is not just a point hog, and points are what get attention from the general public. This is a very impressive highlight reel, pretty much as good as anyone's. For the first time since the 2003-2004 season, he's back under 20 PPG, but is having *by far* his best season ever in terms of FG%, so he's simply not taking as many shots, but making them count when he does. In other words, he's getting older and wiser.

I've always thought Wade was one of the most underrated players in the NBA. In terms of national recognition, he's almost always mentioned by his peers, but fans tend to overlook him when it comes to all his considerable achievements (see the tags on this thread). Obviously, he's also now overshadowed by LeBron James despite Wade being the Heat's all-time leading scorer. He has also been a 3-time all-NBA Defensive second teamer, so he's hardly a one-trick pony. The video (with its annoying gladiatorial music) explains much of this: It's obvious from his highlights that Wade is not just a point hog, and points are what get attention from the general public. This is a very impressive highlight reel, pretty much as good as anyone's. For the first time since the 2003-2004 season, he's back under 20 PPG, but is having *by far* his best season ever in terms of FG%, so he's simply not taking as many shots, but making them count when he does. In other words, he's getting older and wiser.

I agree, Don.  I think he is one of the best shooting guards of all time.  Closer to the ranks of the top 3 than the ranks of the top 10 or 15.  That video is long but its an amazing review of spectacular plays.  He has been one of those gifted players with a lot of "spectacular" in him.

My fave is Earl Monroe, but I know he isn't at the top of that list.  Jordan and Kobe Bryant probably go to the top.  West probably deserves to be there.  I enjoyed watching Iverson.  He was ferocious.  But I think Wade is probably top 4 or 5 and man he is both multi talented in a wide variety of ways and able to adjust his game to fit in with other players/stars such as Lebron now and Shaq before Lebron.