9 minutes ago, Genevieve said:

If we wanted to eat dinner on a Friday night, where Pitt students eat when their parents aren't visiting and taking them for more upscale food, where would that be? Somewhere with decent-to-good but cheap food in Oakland, and probably not Primanti's.  The teen will want some non-vegetarian options at dinner, and we'd like a place that won't be so crowded (at maybe 6 or 7 on a Friday) that we have to wait a half-hour or more.

Pitt has these places listed on their restaurant list in Oakland (plus chains like Five Guys and Qdoba that I deleted), but I don't know how old their list is:

• Oakland (North & South)

Thanks!

While I was thinking not Primanti's, my spouse would be very happy if we had homestyle Italian food or subs - we used to get great inexpensive Italian food when we lived near Boston, but not very often near DC (other than Italian Store).

But other options could also be good (kebabs, pizza, Mexican, Korean if they have it).  

Never found eating in Oakland to be particularly good. That's where my residency hospital was, and even though there were a million places, very few were any good. I still like Mad Mex, it's sort of Tex Mex and students definitely go there, great beer selection. Lu Lu's is pretty good, but when I was eating there I had tried very little in the way of authentic Asian food. I've been to almost all of those places. Conflict Kitchen must have moved to Oakland, it's pretty good. Places I wouldn't go to - Fuel and Fuddle, Antoon's, Hemingway's (though it was fun to flirt with undergrads back in the day). Pizza Sola was in E Liberty before, I think, and I liked it, but it's a quick stop sort of place. QSL has fairly good wings, but nothing to write home about it. Union Grill is fine, actually it's pretty good. Surprisingly, Spice Island isn't on the list - it's like Indonesian/Malaysian, and really good. Korea Garden and Oishii are pretty solid, but again, pre-enlightenment. They might be shit. I miss PGH.... 

If you sneak out of Oakland, can consider Everyday Noodles (hand pulled noodles, delish), Piccolo Forno (italian), Tessaro's for burgers (but not much else), Gaucho Parilla (Yelp's big winner nationally a few years back), Cure (not so casual, though), Chengdu Gourmet (pretty good Sichuan).

And go to Dancing Gnome for their hazy, juicy, soft IPAs!!

• Like 1

Thanks! This stop will be about getting a feel for the school, so we're definitely going to eat in Oakland. Will look at Mad Mex, Conflict Kitchen, Union Grill, Pizza Sola (quick stop is fine), QSL (as the kid likes wings).

I think I took Spice Island off the list when I was deleting coffee shops and yogurt / ice cream places (to make it a dinner list), because I thought it was a tea shop (full name Spice Island Tea House).  I'll put it back on, but I don't think that's what the rest of the family will choose for dinner (I love Burmese food and they have a bunch of it, I see, so I'd pick it).

As a student - I (and frankly my parents) liked Fuel and Fuddle for what it was.  Granted this was a decade ago but it was always solid for a couple beers and sandwiches / pizza.  Its not upscale but my parents never turned their noses up at it.

I agree with Tessaros and would add Church Brew Works (a brew pub in a church) if you're going to venture over the Bloomfield (I think) bridge, which is still pretty close to campus.  Breakfast at Pamela's was always good as well.

22 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

Never found eating in Oakland to be particularly good. That's where my residency hospital was, and even though there were a million places, very few were any good. I still like Mad Mex, it's sort of Tex Mex and students definitely go there, great beer selection.

If there's a location of Mad Mex near where a bunch of college students eat, then I've been there - I remember it as neither good nor offensive, but how can you not like a place (at least, in theory) that serves a dish called, "Taco Misterioso," made with, gulp, "Buttermilk Fried Chicken Tenders?" Ugh, there is some *nasty* stuff on their menu - this is cheap food for kids with bottomless pits for stomachs.

23 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

Korea Garden and Oishii are pretty solid, but again, pre-enlightenment. They might be shit. I miss PGH.... 

Oishii looks like a good option! Student-priced Korean and Japanese food. Thanks.

We did an overnight trip to Pittsburgh and were very happy with our restaurant choices.  The two restaurants we ate at are arguably the best of their kind we've found anywhere (maybe some equivalent places in Philly and Portland, OR).

Butcher and the Rye is still all around excellent, in my opinion much better than The Cure or Morcilla for everything including charcuterie.  It's not cheap but you get a lot of very high quality food for the price. 

Did a deeper dive at Gaucho Parrilla Argentina and loved everything (picada, carne platter, shrimp, veggies, and dessert).   Lines out the door throughout our visit but we were lucky to order and get seated in about 20 minutes.  For their high volume of business, the quality is really consistent and everything was seasoned and cooked correctly.

• Like 1