Venice, Italy

Escoffier

We went to Venice two years ago and followed Dean's recommendations.  They were all fabulous.  Loved Ala Frasca and Anice Stellato.  Also, a climb up the old clocktower on St. Mark's is pretty fun (with great views of the Cathedral, as is a wander around the cemetery on the island in the lagoon.

Very out of date sugggestions....

Ala Fiaschetterie Toscana {old school seafood, high end, brilliant in over 8 years of going}

Ala Frasca {my dream hole in the wall.  Run by two brothers and their cousin.  Not wine centric is the only issue but I order a carafe of their white swill "alla spina" and it works.

Anice Stellato {food so properly researched back to the renaissance era that it seems innovative.  My biggest inspiration along with FT above.}

Alle Testiere {fabulous modern seafood mostly restaurant but does not speak of Venice to me.  Still, it's fabulous}

La Cantinina on Strada Nuova.  It has expanded and I have not heard yea or ney since it out in a real kitchen.  But back when they had a hot plate, a toaster oven, a prosciutto slicer and a table top home style pizza oven {only 2 of which could be plugged in at a time and even then, the lights owuld go out regularly} it was a fabulous but fabulously expensive joint.  Unreal wines!

Da Pinto {on the campo della beccarie at the pescheria rialto.  ONLY order the cicchetti and the grilled fish.  DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING ELSE.  NO NOT PASS GO.  Do not pass go.  THe rest of the menu is for tourists and is "Dange Will Robinson, Danger Will Robinson teritory.  Did I mention that their regular menu is execrable?}

Do Mori for a glass of wine and a snack or 12, served standing up in the oldest wine bar in Venice IIRC

After a leisurely riverboat cruise around the venetian islands in August, I will have almost a full day alone in Venice  before I return to Fort Lauderdale. I would like suggestions for a reasonably priced  restaurant where I could have a good lunch or dinner as a solo female diner.  I am staying in a hotel near the airport, but obviously would be open to take the vaporetto wherever I would need to go. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, dcandohio said:

After a leisurely riverboat cruise around the venetian islands in August, I will have almost a full day alone in Venice  before I return to Fort Lauderdale. I would like suggestions for a reasonably priced  restaurant where I could have a good lunch or dinner as a solo female diner.  I am staying in a hotel near the airport, but obviously would be open to take the vaporetto wherever I would need to go. Thanks. 

https://www.osteriabancogiro.it - One of our favorite meals several years ago. Reasonably priced is based purely on how many dishes you are willing to limit yourself to.

• Like 1

Is this really the only Venice thread? I will be in Venice for one day and one night on my way to Slovenia shortly. Any suggestions for a good, but not too pricey dinner, possibly in the Cannaregio neighborhood? 

I will also be in Trieste for a night if anyone has suggestions for dinner, drinks/wine, or breakfast there. 

On 7/25/2018 at 10:06 PM, Pool Boy said:

https://www.osteriabancogiro.it - One of our favorite meals several years ago. Reasonably priced is based purely on how many dishes you are willing to limit yourself to.

On 9/8/2018 at 9:43 PM, Choirgirl21 said:

Is this really the only Venice thread? I will be in Venice for one day and one night on my way to Slovenia shortly. Any suggestions for a good, but not too pricey dinner, possibly in the Cannaregio neighborhood? 

I will also be in Trieste for a night if anyone has suggestions for dinner, drinks/wine, or breakfast there. 

I still stand by my suggestion. Other places were expensive. Pronto Pesce near the fish market is great, but strikes me as a lunch or nibbles place and IIRC has no seating or very little. http://www.prontopesce.it/about.html

Anyone research and do a food tour of Venice?  I see a few and they're pretty pricey, and it's hard to pick which one's the best.  I'm thinking about doing it on my day of arrival - figuring walking around in the cold will keep me awake.  I think I would enjoy a tour of the ghetto/Cannaregio but I'm less certain about the food.  I can do a chichetti tour - did one on my last trip and it was pretty good.

Also, has anyone been to a Barbarigo Minotta Opera?  

I recently did 2 food tours in Venice.

The first was an evening tour upon my arrival - Venice Food Tour: Cicchetti and Wine, $153 by Urban Adventures.  We were supposed to hit 5 venues but one was closed.  So we only did 4, Do Mori, Do Spade, Sepa, and some other place.  I was still hungry afterwards - definitely not worth the money.

The second was a mid-morning tour on my last full day in Venice - Rialto Market Food and Wine Lunchtime Tour of Venice, $103 by Raphael Tours.  We ventured from Rialto all the way to Castello, we had sweets, meats and cheese, chichetti of fried seafood, risotto, pasta with squid ink, and finished with Tiramisu.  This is a much better tour.

For dinner, I ate at Boccadoro, Carampane, Bistrot de Venise and il Ridotto.  A word on il Ridotto - I didn't book it in advance.  When I tried to book it online while in Venice, I found out their website doesn't allow solo booking so I had my hotel call and I got a reservation that way.  Turns out the restaurant was mostly empty that night.  I went a la carte and had (1) black spaghetti with sea-urchins, candied peppers, kale, (2) cuttlefish, mushroom and black lentils, and (3) guinea hen, radicchio, buckwheat and pomegranate , 40 per dish.  The only dish that I didn't enjoy was the cuttlefish but the other dishes didn't blow my mind.

Venice (113).JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Antiche Carampane and Bistrot du Venise are very good restaurants for Venetian cuisine.  

Made reservations there for our upcoming trip- appreciate the suggestions .

I have moderate expectations for food in Venice . 

On 9/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, naxos said:

Made reservations there for our upcoming trip- appreciate the suggestions .

I have moderate expectations for food in Venice . 

Maybe lower them one more step and then be somewhat surprised if they get beat. Granted its been 10-11 years now, but I wasn't wowed by Venice at all. Probably stuck too close to tourist areas. Follow Joe's advice all the way from the first post and stay away from the tourist areas for food and you'll probably do better than we did.

It will be my third visit; last in 1985. 

The food has never been that good but I am hopeful that I have the right perspective and will enjoy the Biennale, good espresso, some squid ink pasta and wandering the streets.

Had a last minute 6 day opening in my schedule, miles needing to be used, and a chance to see Venice before it is totally claimed by the changing climate.

On 2/23/2019 at 1:23 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

I recently did 2 food tours in Venice.

The first was an evening tour upon my arrival - Venice Food Tour: Cicchetti and Wine, $153 by Urban Adventures.  We were supposed to hit 5 venues but one was closed.  So we only did 4, Do Mori, Do Spade, Sepa, and some other place.  I was still hungry afterwards - definitely not worth the money.

The second was a mid-morning tour on my last full day in Venice - Rialto Market Food and Wine Lunchtime Tour of Venice, $103 by Raphael Tours.  We ventured from Rialto all the way to Castello, we had sweets, meats and cheese, chichetti of fried seafood, risotto, pasta with squid ink, and finished with Tiramisu.  This is a much better tour.

For dinner, I ate at Boccadoro, Carampane, Bistrot de Venise and il Ridotto.  A word on il Ridotto - I didn't book it in advance.  When I tried to book it online while in Venice, I found out their website doesn't allow solo booking so I had my hotel call and I got a reservation that way.  Turns out the restaurant was mostly empty that night.  I went a la carte and had (1) black spaghetti with sea-urchins, candied peppers, kale, (2) cuttlefish, mushroom and black lentils, and (3) guinea hen, radicchio, buckwheat and pomegranate , 40 per dish.  The only dish that I didn't enjoy was the cuttlefish but the other dishes didn't blow my mind.

Venice (113).JPG

Checking with Raphael Tours, they don’t have the tour you mentioned on their website now.

Perhaps discontinued. Did you book directly with them? There is a tour with that name on Viator site.

thx

Was there a couple years ago and was a fan of Vino Vero, a laid back wine bar in Cannaregio with a great wine selection, good cicchetti, and an out of the way, not too touristy (for Venice at least) location. Delightful spot to have a glass of wine or two and a snack along a more functional canal.

44 minutes ago, arldiner said:

Was there a couple years ago and was a fan of Vino Vero, a laid back wine bar in Cannaregio with a great wine selection, good cicchetti, and an out of the way, not too touristy (for Venice at least) location. Delightful spot to have a glass of wine or two and a snack along a more functional canal.

Sounds good!

On 9/23/2019 at 10:54 PM, naxos said:

Sounds good!

My daughter is headed to Venice next week so thought I’d see if there are any more recent reviews. Forwarding Dean’s list (now 16 years old) to her as well. Also quoted Naxos to say that I’m heading to Naxos next month!