mdt

Proof, Verizon Center, Chef Austin Fausett Replaces Ben Schramm, who just Replaced Haidar Kharoum, GM Michael James is Gone - 8th & G Street NW in Penn Quarter

Strolling through town on the way to Jaleo last night I came across this place called Proof. The text on the papered-up windows stated that it is a wine-centric restaurant. Anyone have any information on this place?

Heard a rumor that it is being run by two attorneys(?) that accumulated vast quantities of wine and decided, since they couldn't drink it, to sell it.

Pretty reliable source.

Heard a rumor that it is being run by two attorneys(?) that accumulated vast quantities of wine and decided, since they couldn't drink it, to sell it.
My God, what a tragedy.

Seriously, I am looking forward to hearing more. Any idea who might be in the kitchen?

My God, what a tragedy.

Seriously, I am looking forward to hearing more. Any idea who might be in the kitchen?

No idea, but I believe GrizForm is doing the design work, and judging from materials being sourced, it's going to look pretty high-end.

My God, what a tragedy.

Its a wine bar. Just get some bread and drink more, why doncha?

I am pretty sure that the signage said wine-centric restaurant.

No, it's a wine-centric restaurant. I expect at least a steak. Maybe a salad alongside.

(great minds, mdt? :) )

No, it's a wine-centric restaurant. I expect at least a steak. Maybe a salad alongside.

(great minds, mdt? :) )

That's a logical contradiction. Like a food-centric bar.

I declare myslef a skepticbased on their grammar and the fact that they said "wine-centric" instead of "oenocentric." Any place that will butcher the language will butcher their wine service, too.

Any chance it's related to this place, from the same Food and Wine list that had Dino ranked #8?

#16 - Proof on Main

Wine-obsessed New York restaurateur Drew Nieporent bet on the Bluegrass State with a restaurant adjacent to Louisville's funky new 21c Museum Hotel. Guests can dine on Tuscan-American dishes while admiring (or pondering) a rotating display of provocative artwork. The well-edited 75-bottle wine list rivals the stellar selection of 40 bourbons. 702 W. Main St., Louisville; 502-217-6360.

Any chance it's related to this place, from the same Food and Wine list that had Dino ranked #8?

If Nieporent was the name behind this here I, for one, would have thought we'd have had news about it broken way before someone spotted construction underway.

The person I talked to -- and I'm only being coy because I worry that I misheard or misremembered and don't want to put them on-line as sounding dumb -- was in the biz and almost certainly would have brought up Drew if he was involved.

Bilrus: what list?

If Nieporent was the name behind this here I, for one, would have thought we'd have had news about it broken way before someone spotted construction underway.
No kidding. He's always got the PR cranked up to 11.

well, drew does have some 6 degrees of seperation ties to DC. His business partner, Michael Bonadies, went to school in DC and while in college worked for Stuart Davidson at Clydes. So....actually I would find it hard to believe Drew setting up shop here in DC.

actually I would find it hard to believe Drew setting up shop here in DC.
Doesn't Myriad Restaurant Group own 15 ria in the Washington Terrace Hotel?

Doesn't Myriad Restaurant Group own 15 ria in the Washington Terrace Hotel?

Myriad had a management contract (not ownership) with 15 ria when it was the Washington Terrace hotel - not sure about the status of that now that it's a Doubletree.

Pretty reliable source.

This sort of set-up works pretty well for Veritas in NY.

PS: As a certain late, great Reuters sub-editor used to like to observe to young political reporters: "There are no reliable sources, only ones who haven't found a good reason to fuck you over yet."

i wonder if the food will be asian inspired?

also, since you brought up Veritas; one the the owners of Veritas passed away a few weeks back, unexpectedly. very sad.

I've been sitting on this news for two months; the time to break it is now:

The chef will be Haidar Karoum of Asia Nora

The sommelier will be Sebastian Zutant of Rasika and Komi

The restaurant will open Spring, 2007.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Excellent.

I declare myslef a skepticbased on their grammar and the fact that they said "wine-centric" instead of "oenocentric." Any place that will butcher the language will butcher their wine service, too.
Maybe Waitman might want to take that back.

Excellent.

Maybe Waitman might want to take that back.

Props to Sebastian. I find the food at Asia Nora intolerably dull and pretentious, though.

Props to Sebastian. I find the food at Asia Nora intolerably dull and pretentious, though.
I was only referring to the sommelier, NOT the chef.