Parts & Labor Butchery, Whole-Animal Butcher with Pre-Made Sandwiches Connected To Parts & Labor Restaurant at 2600 N. Howard Street in Remington - Closed

I went to Parts & Labor Butchery on Wednesday mid-afternoon (they serve sandwiches until 3:30 PM), and got the following:

Approaching from the outside on a cloudy day:

post-2-0-68959100-1406523724_thumb.jpg

Pit Beef Sandwich ($10) - Thinly-shaved pit beef, charred red onion, BBQ sauce, Horseradish mayo, served on a bun:

post-2-0-24621600-1406525070_thumb.jpg

Pastrami Sandwich ($12) - Ten ounces of house-made Pastrami served on rye bread with Snow White onion, Hex Ferments sauerkraut, spicy brown mustard, and Hope Springs Farm organic baby Swiss. Incidentally, this was the last pastrami of the day, as I heard a gentleman say he didn't think he had enough to make one - but, it sure looks okay to me (and was).

post-2-0-66542500-1406525252_thumb.jpg

And while I waited, some items for the pantry:

Kinderhook Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies ($3.99 for 5), and I hate these for being so inexpensive, given the quality - I could sit down and eat eight packets of them. The ingredients list reads just like you'd want it to.

post-2-0-18426000-1406525946_thumb.jpg

Woodberry Kitchen Crushed Tomatoes ($6.99 for 32 ounces), for my happy pasta this winter.

post-2-0-47262300-1406526818_thumb.jpg

Woodberry Kitchen Rhubarb Jam ($7 for 9 ounces), for my happy coffee or tea anytime

post-2-0-67547300-1406527098_thumb.jpg

And finally, nearly a pound of House-Smoked Ham ($15/pound - .92 pounds, $13.80) for my happy me very soon. Does anyone know when I should eat this by? It's smoked (and boy is it delicious!) There are about 3-4 more plastic sheets full - would someone like to help me with my ham-fest? This needs to be stored in the refrigerator (I think), but it *absolutely* needs to be served at room temperature, so timing will be key. And I was serious about someone coming over, maybe mid-day, and chowing down with me on ham, and nothing but ham. I'll have some mustard for you, but it doesn't need it, and I'm sure as heck not serving this with any bread.

post-2-0-79318800-1406527583_thumb.jpg

As for the donrockell.com exclusive, I asked for a copy of the menu, she said they had none to take. I said I wish there was some way I could remember all the ingredients - she invited me to take a picture of it. "Are you sure I won't look like a jerk?" I said. "Not at all - I'm inviting you to do it," she replied. Thank you! That was very sweet, and I hope it brings you some business - well here it is, the only known copy (to the best of my knowledge) of Parts & Labor's sandwich menu on the internet (or, at least, that's what she said):

post-2-0-63104200-1406523935_thumb.jpg

There has been no criticism, good or bad, in this thread, and that's because I hope my pictures are speaking a thousand words apiece. This is one heck of a lunch destination, and it has tables and everything. No, it's not cheap, but quality never is. Very well done, folks, very well done. On lunch, and then provisions for a family dinner, I could see easily (and happily) burning through $100 here, and walking out with a huge smile on my face. Local and Sustainable - boy can it matter. It doesn't always, but when it's done right? It just doesn't get any better. In full disclosure, I prefer the taste of The Canopy's Pit Beef Sandwich in Ellicott City to this, but so what?

Coverage initialized *strongly* in Italic in the Dining Guide, and it's not a close call in the leastCongratulations, folks, you're off to a great start.

• Like 3

I was brought here by friends last weekend for a quick pre-Electric Pharaoh show (from BROS, Baltimore Rock Opera Society).

Well, damn! It was good.  A few cured/smoked meats (their pancetta is to die for and basturma was great). Some red beet eggs (for the PA Dutch lovers, delicious) were good. Probably the best lebanon bologna I have ever had in my life. Taste of the ribeye (quite good). Taste of a pork dish (sort of a pork 'salad') - tasty, but not terribly notable. And a pork jowl. Wow. Apparently they sousvide it and then crisp it, served with chow chow of all things. That jowl was *great* - truly. Too small of a portion though. I could have eaten two jowls man.

I'll be back.

Had dinner here Saturday night, yum, yum, and YUM! There doesn't seem to be a menu online so I am going to have to go from memory, which is a big task for me, but here we go.

A friend and I started with cocktails at the bar while we waited to be seated. I wanted something lighter and more refreshing and not overly boozy since I was driving. Both the peach & pickle (what seemed to be a seasonal take on the pickleback) and the drink I ultimately ordered appealed so I asked the bartender for his recommendation. They were out of an ingredient to make the peach & pickle, making my decision easy. The cocktail I ended up with was a mix of bourbon, crushed strawberry and mint that was exactly the refreshing well balanced cocktail I had hoped for although not inexpensive at $13.

Once seated we opted to share as many dishes as we could. We started with the beef tartare and the pig trotter appetizers. The beef tartare was outstanding. A unique version served with house made potato chips. The trotter was an exercise in curiosity more than anything else. A few spears of peeled raw asparagus and a delicious buttermilk dressing accompanied the fried trotter, which came as 2 deep fried hunks on the board. We were a little uncertain of what to do with it or what to eat. I realize now it was probably my mistake, but I expected some meat in addition to the crispy fried skin, but other than a few scant morsels that's not what you get. I sort of get the appeal - the right bite of crispy fatty skin with the raw asparagus and rich dressing was a nice balance, but for (I think) $12 this was the only dish that sort of disappointed me.

For our "dinner" we shared the brown sugar beef rib with grilled strawberries and one of the sausages with an onion jam, both recommended by our server along with the white kale side and the radish and radish top salad. I wouldn't have chosen the rib if our server hadn't recommended it, too afraid between the brown sugar and strawberry that it would be too sweet. It was sweet, but it was incredibly delicious with fantastic caramelization from the brown sugar crust and some good balance provided by the other components like the whole mustard seeds. The sausage was also very good, with a serious bit of heat (the server made sure when we ordered it that we would be okay with that) and a generous size. I couldn't possibly describe everything that was in the kale dish at this point except to say I believe there were caramelized onions and I know there were crispy trotter bits on top - mostly what I remember was an incredibly rich and delicious dish. The radish & radish top salad, which also had mushrooms and a light green dressing was a nice light compliment to the other heavier dishes.

Service was spot on. The only hiccup was when our server arrived with our bottle of wine and I realized right as she was about to open it that it was a sparkling, not dry rose. It seems one of the sparkling wines was accidentally listed in the dry rose section rather than the sparkling section. Not a huge deal and they rectified it, although not at the speed I would have liked had I not been the one driving but the fact the we asked our server to help us decide between 2 bottles and she didn't realize one was sparkling or mention it in her description was a bit odd. Again, not a big deal, really the only little nitpick in what was otherwise spot on service.

All in all a fantastic meal and I am eager to return, preferably in a larger group so I can try even more of the menu. The steaks we saw being served looked incredible, but given that there were only 2 of us and we wanted to try as much as we could, I thought those were best saved until next time. The menu does tend toward the more expensive side, but all in all I think it is worth it.

Are they still serving whipped pork fat instead of butter to spread on their bread? That was also one of the highlights of the evening when I went.

Had dinner here Saturday night, yum, yum, and YUM! There doesn't seem to be a menu online so I am going to have to go from memory, which is a big task for me, but here we go.

All in all a fantastic meal and I am eager to return, preferably in a larger group so I can try even more of the menu. The steaks we saw being served looked incredible, but given that there were only 2 of us and we wanted to try as much as we could, I thought those were best saved until next time. The menu does tend toward the more expensive side, but all in all I think it is worth it.

Are they still serving whipped pork fat instead of butter to spread on their bread? That was also one of the highlights of the evening when I went.

Oh my god, yes, thank you for reminding me! Whipped lard with fresh chives, to die for. The bread itself I was less enthused about having had amazing bread not long before at Barrel & Crow (perfectly acceptable bread, just nothing wow about it), but really it's just a vessel for that delicious lard so who cares.

On 8/6/2018 at 9:43 PM, Shaho said:

Parts & Labor is now closed, but the bar will be open Wed-Sun for the next 60 days. The bar will serve drinks and a changing food menu, which will be posted daily on their Instagram. Specials could include a fish fry or whole pig roast(!)

In the meantime, I had dinner at Woodberry Kitchen last night, and it's still wonderful, although getting more experiemental. Example: They had "Scrapple-Wrapped Farm Egg," e.g., a Scotch Egg, and they were serving it with ... an optional glass of whiskey. (I suggested that since it was a Scotch Egg, they should use Scotch!)

9 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

In the meantime, I had dinner at Woodberry Kitchen last night, and it's still wonderful, although getting more experiemental. Example: They had "Scrapple-Wrapped Farm Egg," e.g., a Scotch Egg, and they were serving it with ... an optional glass of whiskey. (I suggested that since it was a Scotch Egg, they should use Scotch!)

"Scotch" IS whisk(e)y.

They don't have scotch

All of the food on our menu was sourced directly from a local farmer or waterman. All of our spirits are from the US and their materials are thoughtfully sourced. All of our wines are organic, biodynamic or local, leaning towards the latter two. All of our beers are from farm breweries in Maryland. 

On 8/7/2019 at 8:11 AM, curiouskitkatt said:

A pop -up in the Parts & Labor space to take place this Saturday from 12-5. I took a peak at BarkBBQ instagram and it looks downright delicious. Will report back.

Pop-up ran from 12-5. Brisket sold out at around 2:30. I was informed a line formed around 11:15, and well I guess everyone was on the same page as me.  I arrived 20 minutes too late for what I was looking forward to since I heard the announcement of said pop-up. 

I ordered the ribs & rice. Kinda unremarkable, and the rice was meh. I have been on a BBQ kick lately, and I wonder why there are not more places that  serve up good BBQ. Oh well., onto the next pop-up. 

Deflated,

kat

BE7289B6-255E-4618-ABD1-1031283C4EA7.jpeg

• Sad 1