The Horrors Of McDonald's - A $27 Billion Dollar Franchise, Ending Humanity, One Sandwich at a Time

18 hours ago, DaveO said:

McDonalds (first of the newer places in) replacing its long long standing stand alone building across from Metro.

At McDonald's, check out the mini-chocolate croissants called chocolatines.  Only 79 cents so it is small but satisfies the chocolate/sugar craving.

• Thanks 1

There is a very interesting article in today’s NY Times about which chain restaurants are the worst for your health.  There are some real surprises in it, at least for me.  For example, Hungry for a hearty breakfast? You could … try the Cheesecake Factory’s Breakfast Burrito: ‘warm tortilla filled with scrambled eggs, bacon, chicken chorizo, cheese, crispy potatoes, avocado, peppers and onions, over spicy ranchero sauce.’  Nutritional information: 2,730 calories,… 4,630 milligrams of sodium…and 73 grams of saturated fat…You’d have to eat seven Sausage McMuffins from McDonald’s to equal the cardiovascular and waistline damage done by one burrito…”

48 minutes ago, John William G said:

There is a very interesting article in today’s NY Times about which chain restaurants are the worst for your health.  There are some real surprises in it, at least for me.  For example, Hungry for a hearty breakfast? You could … try the Cheesecake Factory’s Breakfast Burrito: ‘warm tortilla filled with scrambled eggs, bacon, chicken chorizo, cheese, crispy potatoes, avocado, peppers and onions, over spicy ranchero sauce.’  Nutritional information: 2,730 calories,… 4,630 milligrams of sodium…and 73 grams of saturated fat…You’d have to eat seven Sausage McMuffins from McDonald’s to equal the cardiovascular and waistline damage done by one burrito…”

I'm having a hard time picturing anyone other than a teenage boy eating the entirety of that thing or some of the other things described in the article.

53 minutes ago, John William G said:

When Matt was growing up, I limited the number of visits to McDonald's. One thing I did learn was that the biscuits have about twice as many (I'm going from memory here) calories as the McMuffins. For example, if one Egg McMuffin had 400 calories, one Ham, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit had about 800 calories - these guesses are many-years old, and I'm certain they could be easily found on McDonald's website.

I put a hex on biscuits for having so many calories.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

I put a hex on biscuits for having so many calories.

I would assume that some of this has to do with the amount of butter/lard needed to make a biscuit versus an english muffin in general.  But also most of the biscuits come with worse for you toppings than the english muffins, but they all seem to be lower in calorie now, so maybe they also changed recipes when they had to publish calorie counts.

4 hours ago, hopsing said:

I have to say though that the  Egg McMuffins in China are much better than those at home.

I'm ashamed to admit that I had McDonald's two days in a row in Nice (this was decades ago) - McDonald's in Europe (what is the plural of McDonald's?) are noticeably better than the ones in America.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I'm ashamed to admit that I had McDonald's two days in a row in Nice (this was decades ago) - McDonald's in Europe (what is the plural of McDonald's?) are noticeably better than the ones in America.

I went into one in Germany in the 1980s, and ordered a beer. I vowed at that time I would never voluntarily set foot in an American McDonald's until they served beer.

The only time I was ever enthusiastic to visit a fast food restaurant in Europe was when my family lived in Sicily from August of '91 to September of '93 and as a kid it was my only chance to sate my craving for a Big Mac since the closest one to eastern Sicily at the time was in *Naples*.

I studied in China for 6 months in 1993 and went once to the one McDonald's in China at that time. It was in central Beijing, across from Tiananmen Square. I wasn't particularly interested in eating McDonald's food, but my fellow American students and I more or less viewed the excursion as a cultural experience. I don't remember too much aside from the place was packed and had two levels of seating. Apparently this McDonald's is now closed.

• Like 1

This feed is making me feel better. I was in Chiang Mai several years ago and I was walking around looking for a place recommended for lunch. I was starving and saw others I was traveling with at the McDonalds and went in. It was better than expected, and the salt welcome on a very hot day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ALB said:

This feed is making me feel better. I was in Chiang Mai several years ago and I was walking around looking for a place recommended for lunch. I was starving and saw others I was traveling with at the McDonalds and went in. It was better than expected, and the salt welcome on a very hot day.

Sometimes when you're traveling, you're exhausted, and you want something quick, safe, and familiar.

• Like 2

After a late night trip to urgent care with my daughter last night (she's fine), we came upon a McDonald's and my husband stopped and ordered two McRibs. I had a bite. I don't think I'd ever had one before, or if I did it was so long ago I don't remember. I knew it didn't have anything to do with ribs, but I didn't realize it was a processed slab of pork product. I guess I assumed it was a slice of pork, I don't know.

Anyway ... disgusting.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, MarkS said:

Haven't been in at least 35-40 years.  And those times were for breakfast as I use to crave McMuffins. 

I worked breakfast shift at McD's in high school and its immediate aftermath. I like McMuffins, especially the sausage ones (which were new when I worked there.) But they are NEVER toasted crunchy enough. Nowhere really toasts English muffins properly, but McD's is especially wrong with their toasting.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1