"Shipping Out" (1996) by David Foster Wallace (1962-2008) Originally Published in Harper's Magazine

DonRocks

If you savor "Shipping Out" (which is often called "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again") - which you should - this will take you a good couple of hours to read, with breaks.

It is worth every single minute. Written by one of the great writers to ever live, and one of my heroes, this is David Foster Wallace at his comedic finalist, skewering the cruise-ship industry.

Read it, love it, discuss it, and revel in it. I'll be here waiting for you.

"Shipping Out" by David Foster Wallace" on harpers.org

If you're busy which you so often are, read just 2-3 pages. It will reel you in, and you'll come back to it, I promise. Read the footnotes when they happen (you won't lose your way).

Enjoy this rare display of genius cruising along at full throttle.

If you haven't laughed out loud by the time you get to the first footnote, I'll give you your money back.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2014 at 11:28 PM, DonRocks said:

If you savor "Shipping Out" (which is often called "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again") - which you should - this will take you a good couple of hours to read, with breaks.

It is worth every single minute. Written by one of the great writers to ever live, and one of my heroes, this is David Foster Wallace at his comedic finalist, skewering the cruise-ship industry.

Read it, love it, discuss it, and revel in it. I'll be here waiting for you.

"Shipping Out" by David Foster Wallace" on harpers.org

If you're busy which you so often are, read just 2-3 pages. It will reel you in, and you'll come back to it, I promise. Read the footnotes when they happen (you won't lose your way).

Enjoy this rare display of genius cruising along at full throttle.

If you haven't laughed out loud by the time you get to the first footnote, I'll give you your money back.

Upon your recommendation, I will read Shipping out. 

After completion, I will proceed to ask you what makes him one of your hereos, unless of course it appears obvious. 

well read,

kat