I would guess sous vide - did not inspect for grill marks, but was unaware of any sense of char.

The bread is probably being sourced well. You're no pushover, sheldman - thing is, sous-vide banh-mi meat (if of high quality) is better than the grilled garbage that we so often get. Dickson Wine Bar's are sous-vided, and I think they're the best in town, although it has been awhile now.

I don't know much of anything about Vietnamese pronunciation except that pho is supposed to be pronounced something like fuh (although Vietnamese people I have known pronounce it foe when speaking English). I happened to watch Sara Moulton's PBS program the other day, and she pronounced banh mi more like banh may. Is there any justification for that? I'm sure there are people here who would know.

Never have I hear anyone ordering in Vietnamese pronounce any word that slowly and with such exaggerated diction.  

It was very helpful to me - a primer with perfect pronunciation, where I can speed things up at my own comfort level, while keeping everything in proportion. I've always fumbled with these words; now, I shall fumble no longer! The desired speed is delivered in the final word of the very first sentence, where she says "Hi everyone, my name is Donna, with Everyday Viet."

Thanks, that is very interesting. Not one vowel sounds much like an English vowel, which isn't surprising. In banh mi, the second vowel sounds somewhere between English ee and ay. I think that in order to avoid confusion when speaking English it's probably best to pronounce these words as they are conventionally pronounced by English speakers.

My sister and I picked up bahn mi at Route 50 bahn mi for dinner last weekend around 7-ish, and both of us were wired until the wee hours of the morning.  We had different sandwiches (I got the #1 combo and she got the #2 grilled pork) and neither of us had had any caffeine since breakfast, so there was something in the banh mi that wreaked havoc with our systems.  Don't know if anyone else has had the same reaction.  If you've got a late-night push to get through, though, then maybe you should pick up a couple.

We were laughing abut the old Taxi episode where Latka brought in cookies made with his grandma's recipe that turned out to be made with coca leaves "they were very popular with musicians."  

• Like 3

According to Google Maps, BonMi appears to be closed.  And no DC locations listed on their website.

So is anyone selling banh mi's downtown?  I think there is a food truck, but my one experience was mediocre. 

f the food trucks, I recall BonMi having one, but I've never tried. Other food trucks that sell banh mi's are:  Lemongrass (good), Pho Wheels (never tried), and Pho Nation (never tried). I think Jettie's sometimes have a banh mi special, though...

6 hours ago, Tweaked said:

According to Google Maps, BonMi appears to be closed.  And no DC locations listed on their website.

So is anyone selling banh mi's downtown?  I think there is a food truck, but my one experience was mediocre. 

WTF has them.

Screenshot 2016-08-04 at 16.46.37.png

It's not downtown, but I'm pretty sure Proof had them at one time - that said ...

Screenshot 2016-08-04 at 16.51.58.png

6 minutes ago, Tweaked said:

WTF's offering has the dreaded " " marks.  Damn it, I'm really craving a good banh mi. 

If you don't mind sous-vide meat (and going to U Street), Dickson Wine Bar used to be my favorite in DC; it has been awhile, however. I suspect the only reason WTF's is in quotes is because, like Dickson's, it's not a "classic" Vietnamese version - but to me, that's a good thing (Bánh Ta not included - theirs is the best I've ever had).

Screenshot 2016-08-04 at 17.00.19.png

On 8/10/2016 at 9:35 AM, hopsing said:

I tried Huong Binh's banh mi for the first time yesterday.  Had my benchmark xiu mai (meatball).  It's okay, not great.  Much prefer Nhu Lan and Song Que Deli.  It is however ridiculously cheap at $3.

As Jake Parrott once said, "The only filling Bánh Mì is a second Bánh Mì." :)

---

Lemongrass Food Truck (Tweaked)

• Like 1

Five Roast Pork Banh Mi from the Annandale Rd location of Lee's Sandwiches all had soft, fresh bread.  They appear to have a bakery on site--it was dark at 5:30pm but I'd guess the bread came from there or some place like it that morning.  Something to keep in mind for those turned off by bread quality in other banh mi.  

• Like 1