Souk Bakery and Market, 8th and G Streets SE in the Former Hello Cupcake Space, Barracks Row

On 3/23/2014 at 4:04 PM, Pat said:

It looks like the second location of this business never even got enough notice to make it to the title of this thread, but, according to a posting on a neighborhood listserv, the Barracks Row location of Hello Cupcake will be closing after COB today.  The Dupont location will soon have expanded hours and offerings.

Souk Bakery and Market was scheduled to soft open in the Hello Cupcake Barracks Row space today (via PoPville).

I stopped into Souk today looking for hot paprika.  They had it among a wall of spices, salts, dried herbs, dried fruits, chocolates, and other delicacies in big glass jars.  2 oz. cost me $9.  I resisted the temptation to buy anything else, but the rum and vanilla canelés ($3.95?, I think) in the pastry case looked gorgeous, as did the scones and buns/rolls.  There was one stuffed bun with (IIRC) prosciutto, mozzarella, and sun-dried tomatoes that I was even more tempted to buy than the canelés.  It's hard to express correctly, but the puff of the dough was enticing.  It was popped up almost like a popover.  Now I'm kicking myself I didn't buy one.

The housewares and gifts section is small and seemed well selected.  The pearl inlaid forks and spoons were beautiful (@$14.95 each).

I thought about getting a cup of coffee but didn't do that either :rolleyes: .  There was packaged Vigilante on the shelves but I don't know if that's the kind they sell by the cup.  There's a large communal table in the center of the store, so plenty of room to drink a coffee and nosh on baked goods.

Very nicely appointed comfortable space.  I'll be heading back.

I stopped into Souk today looking for hot paprika.  They had it among a wall of spices, salts, dried herbs, dried fruits, chocolates, and other delicacies in big glass jars.  2 oz. cost me $9.  I resisted the temptation to buy anything else, but the rum and vanilla canelés ($3.95?, I think) in the pastry case looked gorgeous, as did the scones and buns/rolls.  There was one stuffed bun with (IIRC) prosciutto, mozzarella, and sun-dried tomatoes that I was even more tempted to buy than the canelés.  It's hard to express correctly, but the puff of the dough was enticing.  It was popped up almost like a popover.  Now I'm kicking myself I didn't buy one.

I bought their raspberry pound cake for Valentine's Day, a few days after they opened. It was a bit dense, but still moist and flavorful, and it went beautifully with Talenti's Raspberrys and Cream gelato (which is really wonderful). I agree this is a nice, if a bit pricey, addition to Barracks Row. Between this and The Sweet Lobby, the owners are showing themselves to be talented entrepreneurs with above-average offerings.

I stopped in yesterday to buy some fresh coriander and fennel seeds, as mine were rather ancient, and noticed a sign out front announcing a zoning hearing next month for an unenclosed patio space.  (And this time it was the rosemary biscuit I wish I'd bought :rolleyes: .)

After multiple visits ogling the pastries and not buying any, this time I bought the rosemary biscuit, and I found the flavor(s) too strong :mellow: .  It started out tasting like a well-made savory biscuit, and then there was one bite of something that was extremely bitter, and I'm not certain that it was rosemary. It took a long time to clear the taste from my palate.  It might possibly have been some sort of very bitter lemon.  Not sure. I tried again and continued to find the flavor overpowering. Maybe it's just me, but I don't usually object to rosemary. I've only eaten about half of the  biscuit and I think my husband will be getting the rest with dinner.  We'll see what he thinks.

It was quite crowded in the bakery this morning when I stopped in, and the communal table was completely full.  I'm glad to see they're doing such good business.  The last time I was in, I bought a scallion and cheddar biscuit and a mustard, thyme, and  cheese (I think also cheddar) turnover.  Both were so good that I went that route again and we'll be having them with tonight's dinner.

The main reason for my mission was to restock on Aleppo pepper.  The batch I have is very old, and I've got several recipes upcoming that call for it.  It's apparently not that easy to find these days due to the situation in Syria, but they have it. A couple of oz. cost me about $5.

Beginning tomorrow, March 23rd, Souk, towards the southern end of Barracks Row (705 8th St., SE), is now offering roti for lunch.  Info from a press release I got in an email is pasted in below.

Inspired by the roti of her native Trinidad, Winnette, owner of SOUK and WINNER of Food Network's CHOPPED brings you Souk Roti!

Traditional Dhalpuri-style roti, made to order with an array of fillings (including vegan options), seasoned with 
SOUK's own spice blends! 
XzurZj0IuNwaT5U1S9IZzxUm3sdaoZXr.jpg
Souk Roti is available 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Tuesday through Saturday!
  • Like 1

From 9 to 1 today, Souk is having what it calls The Big Bake, highlighting their French inspired pastries. Free coffee with purchase. It says "Sweet & Savory & New Creations."  (I can't recall how I inserted the graphic ad in for the one above. This is the same type of promotion but I'm blanking on what I did before...)

They're doing the Big Bake again today, this time all day, from 8:30 to 6. They have one type of turnover that I really like so I may check this out and see what else they're offering.

ETA: I had to ask for the turnover. It wasn't out on display. Most of the baked goods on display were sweet, except the mini quiches. And the coffee with purchase was only the first time they did this, not a current offer.

Souk has expanded its menu items considerably. They've been offering a Trini breakfast (which I haven't tried) on the weekends for months. They're now doing a weekly pastry box for weekend pickup, with all kinds of creative uses of local produce.

What I'm happiest about is they are now selling various breads (including focaccia). I've done online ordering for pickup a few days out, which has been a little bumpy in execution. It's still really new and they're working things out, but the breads are fantastic. So far we've had the cheddar - jalapeno bread (twice), rosemary - garlic focaccia, and sourdough baguette.

They've still got other of their regular baked items, including the spicy mustard - cheddar - thyme turnovers I love. They do their sales through a service window they've fashioned in the front. You can just walk up and buy whatever bread they have on the menu that day that's available.

Definitely worth a stop if you're in and around Barracks Row.