First Aid Kit (2007-) - Swedish Sisters Klara and Johanna Söderberg Fuse Country and Indie into Their Unique Sound

Pool Boy

My wife and I have a niece. She's soon to be married to a musician, so she has a lot of influences, some her own, some her soon to be husbands and still more. My wife gets said niece to make 'mix tapes' for her and us to explore things we have no idea we're missing. A lot of indie, some granola, a lot of acoustic and so on. Some is meh, some is too extreme in a direction for me, but some, some just hits it oddly, bizarrely right.

I pointed out to my wife that a new infatuation of her's last year, First Aid Kit, was bordering on Country and I kind of teased her about it (neither of us is a fan of the genre, but appreciate the sentiment and skill). So then the damn duo (and band) got under my skin. It got so bad we found out they were coming to Richmond (later they added DC, but our plans were already made - besides we got Buz & Ned's BBQ and Rappahanock!), so we made a night of it and, may I just tell you, it was a tremendous concert in ways that it surprised me.

The pure harmony of these two is what does it for me, but there is usually a good tune to go along with.  I give you 'Cedar Lane'. Listen to the end. Hell listen FOR the end.

Live:

Studio:

I mean, my music leanings are very diverse. Rooted in 70s progressive rock, dipped deeply in mid-80s new wave, meandered a bit through grunge, rekindled with the Modfather, and shattered by melodic/progressive death metal. All sprinkled with music from the last 30+ years. I mean, I hated the Beastie Boys (I thought), in the 80s, but what the hell was wrong with me? I love them. But this is a whole other conversation. B)

• Like 1