Rod 'N' Reel, Seafood at the Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa - Chesapeake Beach

Had lunch here today with a friend who lives in Chesapeake Beach and several friends.  The food was wildly uneven, but what was good was very good - Menu

Both the Maryland crab soup and the cream of crab were loaded with great crab but described as very salty.  The regular crab soup was also disturbingly sour.  The person who ordered plowed on and did not return it to the kitchen but probably should have.

The people who got the flounder sandwiches loved them, and these were enormous pieces of fried fresh flounder.  The person who got a salad (with additional grilled chicken) basically liked the salad, but some of the greens were elderly and past their serving prime.

I got the turkey BLT on raisin pecan bread with cranberry aioli.  This was kind of a high concept plate that mostly worked.  I thought the bread had a slight off taste but not enough to wreck the sandwich.  I ate nearly all of it.  The iced tea, which most of us ordered, was brewed way too strong.  They were generous with refills, but the tea really needed to be diluted to be drinkable.

Both the potato chips (clearly made in house) and fries (probably ditto) were excellent.

For the price it should have been more consistent, but it's a resort area.  Service was pretty good.

Go with the fish and homemade fried potato products.  Avoid the soups.

• Like 2

The Rod n Reel was rebuilt to go inside of the resort, is that correct? Does the original location still exist, or is this where the original location was? I can't find a thing about the original restaurant (which opened in 1946) being absorbed into the resort. From what I gather (here, for example), it seems like they built the resort around the restaurant.