Palena, 2007 James Beard Award Winner Frank Ruta Rocks Cleveland Park - Closed on Apr 26, 2014

More details on the fish fry plate, please!

I was curious about it myself and looked around to see if anyone ordered it, but no one around me seemed to have.  BTW, the roast chicken was not on the menu yesterday.

Had dinner at Palena last night and ordered the Fritto Misto as one of our starters. Fried skate, calamaretti, shrimp, asapragus, garlic slices, and scallion come with some home made tartare sauce and pickled veggies. A very nice start that went well with the bottle of Sancerre that we were enjoying.

Off to go nibble on some cookies...

Just when you're tired of hearing how wonderful Palena is, there's this.

I've been to Palena so many times that it can't possibly be exciting anymore, and quite often, for me, it falls squarely into the realm of comfort food: I've seen the month-to-month, up-and-down machinations with the chicken, the cheeseburger, and just about everything else on the menu. Nothing has surprised or astounded me there for a long time, until this evening.

I ordered a charcuterie plate at $12, on the menu as Affetatti - Produzione Propira (Plate of house-cured meats), thinking it would be a good stand-up dish while I waited for a seat at the bar, and figuring it would be a good snack to munch on, but when it arrived, it stopped me in my tracks, suddenly and absolutely.

Fennel salami, cappacolla, lonza, soppressata, testa, lingua - all five things were house-cured and compelling, and the presentation was as beautiful as it was generous.

How good was it? I ordered a second plate as my entree with french fries. But meats this nuanced and delicate must be had alone, before anything else in the entire meal, being easily overwhelmed by a mere piece of bread, much less a platter of fried potatoes, onion rings and lemons.

This dish can rest comfortably alongside Palena's chicken and cheeseburger as a definitive example of its type within the region. It is one of the best charcuterie plates I've ever had in my life, and one of the most important single food items in the entire city.

Believe what I'm saying here,

Rocks.

Just when you're tired of hearing how wonderful Palena is, there's this.

I've been to Palena so many times that it can't possibly be exciting anymore, and quite often, for me, it falls squarely into the realm of comfort food:  I've seen the month-to-month, up-and-down machinations with the chicken, the cheeseburger, and just about everything else on the menu.  Nothing has surprised or astounded me there for a long time, until this evening.

I ordered a charcuterie plate at $12, on the menu as Affetatti - Produzione Propira (Plate of house-cured meats), thinking it would be a good stand-up dish while I waited for a seat at the bar, and figuring it would be a good snack to munch on, but when it arrived, it stopped me in my tracks, suddenly and absolutely.

Fennel salami, cappacolla, lonza, soppressata, testa, lingua -  all five things were house-cured and compelling, and the presentation was as beautiful as it was generous.

How good was it?  I ordered a second plate as my entree with french fries.  But meats this nuanced and delicate must be had alone, before anything else in the entire meal, being easily overwhelmed by a mere piece of bread, much less a platter of fried potatoes, onion rings and lemons.

This dish can rest comfortably alongside Palena's chicken and cheeseburger as a definitive example of its type within the region.  It is one of the best charcuterie plates I've ever had in my life, and one of the most important single food items in the entire city.

Believe what I'm saying here,

Rocks.

You were there tonight? Standing at the bar at the end and then sitting at the bar??? We were at one of the round booths...

We had the pate, the tagliterre (sp?) primavera and the penne with the lamb meatballs.

The charcuterie tempted me but there was a lot of meat and salt this weekend so I passed...

Just means I have to go back. Soon!

Jennifer

I'm heading in tonight and will report back re: chicken availability.   :lol:

Rocks, I'm not familiar with lonza.  What's that all about?

No chicken as of last night.

And here's some info about lonza.

(You may wish to Google testa and lingua before committing to this plate). ;)

Not to worry. I was familiar with those.

Still no chicken and I spoke with Jeff (who is off tonight, but will be waiting tables - just to mix things up - tomorrow) and he said no chicken for awhile.

Tonight was weird. No Jeff (off tonight as mentioned), no Kurt/Kirk (I can never get it right; he has left Palena) and no Carolyn (she too last left, I hear?).

The food was good though. I like the new tagliatelle. It's pretty light for this hot weather. The cheese plate is as great as always.

By the way, there was another 2 year old watching DVDs sighting in the cafe last night. I feel for the parents and all, but long term what is this doing to the kid's attention span??

No chicken as of last night.

And here's some info about lonza.

(You may wish to Google testa and lingua before committing to this plate). :lol:

Edited by JLK

Still no chicken and I spoke with Jeff (who is off tonight, but will be waiting tables - just to mix things up - tomorrow) and he said no chicken for awhile. 

My server last night (Kate?) said that they were having trouble with their chicken vendor and they don't expect it back on the menu for about a month. Anyone have thoughts on the rotisserie chicken at Magruder's next door?

They were also without mint (no sparkling mojitos) and without Ann's delivery so there were a few desserts on the menu that weren't available.

Regardless, it was a great meal - I had the stuffed lamb breast with a small salad and fava beans with manchego(?) cheese. Superb.

Anyone have thoughts on the rotisserie chicken at Magruder's next door?

Well, when I worked at Palena, many of my co-workers ate that chicken for dinner (we've tried almost everything from Magruders) and they loved it, but it wasn't as good as Palena's roast chicken. (really, though, is anything?) Its on sale Wednesdays, I think.

and speaking of...

Tonight was weird.  No Jeff (off tonight as mentioned), no Kurt/Kirk (I can never get it right; he has left Palena) and no Carolyn (she too last left, I hear?).

Yeah, Kirk and I both left within a few days of each other. I love Palena and i loved getting to meet and hang out with all of you while I was there. I truly hope for its continued success, but I just felt it was no longer possible for me to stay. I hope to be in often to eat though! ;)

I believe Kirk is at Riedel's, though i'm not sure. I know that Nathan (who used to work with us at Palena, and also is at Ruth Chris' in Bethesda) is there.

As of now, I'm taking a little bit of time off to travel, and I don't know where I'll be going next, though I hope I'll see lots of you Palena regulars around. (It does feel good to know that somebody noticed I wasn't there anymore, Jenny :lol: )

Edited by LittleWing

My server last night (Kate?) said that they were having trouble with their chicken vendor and they don't expect it back on the menu for about a month.

I am pleased to report that the chicken is back on the menu and smelled as decadent as ever.

I took a friend tonight who has recently moved back to DC. I told her she was about to have the best hamburger around and she almost believed me. Until she took that first bite. She looked at me and said "It's a good thing I only live a block away."

ps The lamb meatballs and penne are as brilliant as ever.

Palena rocks.

Bollito is as brilliant as ever. Fried lemons became a fetish by now ("darling would you please please fry a lemon for me....I'll do anything you want, anything you want...") . Roast chicken is the most aromatic dish this side of Mademoiselle Chanel.

I feel grateful to the good lord and all his archangels and cherubs for Monday Night at Palena . Please let this continue for as long as possible. Thank you for your immediate attention to this request.

Sincerely,

XXXX

Palena rocks.

Bollito is as brilliant as ever. Fried lemons became a fetish by now ("darling would you please please fry a lemon for me....I'll do anything you want, anything you want...") .  Roast chicken is the most aromatic dish this side of Mademoiselle Chanel.

I feel grateful to the good lord and all his archangels and cherubs for Monday Night at Palena ™.  Please let this continue for as long as possible. Thank you for your immediate attention to this request.

Sincerely,

XXXX

One of my french fries was soggy last time I went.

Also, it should be ruled that bartenders at Palena must ALL be uniformly hunky, cooperative and most importantly, single. Not that they are NOT all these things now, but I feel it should not be left to random chances but rather should be codified in conditions of employment. Why leave an important part of the restaurant's charm to chance when I so very clearly wish to admire a lovely male presence behind the bar, preferably in a variety of outfits?

Edited by Nadya

gnoc·chi    ( P ) 

pl.n.

Dumplings made of flour, semolina, or potatoes, boiled or baked and served with grated cheese or a sauce.

[italian, pl. of gnocco, probably alteration of nocchio, knot in wood.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

pl.n. inexpensive dumplings downed for luck on the 29th day of the month in South American countries blessed with Italian immigrants. A Saint lurks in the roots of the story, though cynics have pointed to poverty and the day before payday as an alternative explanation.

s.n. a government worker in certain South American countries who attends to the office but once a month to collect a check.

s.n. Frank Ruta's final exam from Hogwarts. Grade=Provisional. Contingent upon further experimentation to secure the Saint's blessing. Currently magicking something resembling clouds of triple-cream brie frollicking with crisp spring peas and shattered bacon. Priced appropriately for a gnocchi waiting on payday.

Recommendation: Go quickly. Saint's a-coming soon.

Edited by babka

Stopped by tonight with a friend. Unfortunately for all the Jeff fans out there, I was told that he moved back to Colorado :lol: Big bummer. Anyway, the chicken was definitely back on the menu, but a lot of the plates people have been talking about weren't (i.e. fish fry, charcuterie plate, hot dog). However, I had an excellent "mixed grill" of duck sausage, rabbit and squab. My friend had the penne with lamb meatballs which still taste divine.

Anyway, the chicken was definitely back on the menu, but a lot of the plates people have been talking about weren't (i.e. fish fry, charcuterie plate, hot dog). 

I chatted with Frank today, and happily, the affetati plate will become a regular feature on Saturday lunch and Monday dinner in the front room. There is a limited supply (some of the meats take up to six months to cure), but enough to keep the pipeline flowing twice a week.

Has anyone seen the thread going on Chowhound about serious service problems at Palena? Its predominantly about the back room... interesting. Last time I ate in the cafe service was fine; time before, we got the chicken and were forewarned, which was also fine...

K

If you get Liz or Kate, you're guaranteed good service at Palena. Those two servers are great. One time I had a server who took 10 minutes to give us water and menus in the cafe area when there were only 2 other tables in the room. He didn't explain the two menus in the cafe area and wasn't friendly at all. Then we got another server (didn't get her name, ack!) who was great.

I ate in the back room the same night night the Chowhound poster had issues and our service was fantastic. The meal lasted 3 hours but I certainly didn't see that as a downside. When I go somewhere that only has tasting menus I expect to make a night out of it.

I've had slow service in the cafe before, but it's still been accurate and affable.

Slow service? Sometimes. Bad service? Never.

I guess I can see people complaining because "everything should be perfect for the prices," but setting up that kind of expectation never gets you anything but heartache.

Of course, I'd gladly eat those caramels even if they were hurled at me from a distance of twenty paces while I was perched on a scaffold in subzero weather.

So I may not be able to be impartial on this subject.

There are many reasons why service could be slow but there is no excuse, regardless of price or class or restaurant, for poor service. (EX: not giving out menus and water when people are seated, not being friendly, etc...).

I guess I have a different viewpoint b/c my family owns a restaurant and I worked there for 1/2 of my life...

Last time I ate in the back room, the food was grand but the service...

not so much.

MIA waiters, bad wine service, courses that took eons to come out, coffee coming out at the wrong time, and a bit of "how lucky you are to be here" attitude.

On the other hand, service in the front room has always been great. Go figure.

Despite living on the other side of town I've had dinner at Palena's bar several times now and have always enjoyed it. Last night I had the foie gras terrine with aspic as a starter and then the skate. I'd give more details but their website still has only menus from winter 2003. The terrine, which was also served with a kind of poultry gallantine, was firm and moist--perfectly prepared and not overchilled. It was accompanied by wildberries and fennel shavings that tasted as if they had macerated together in a wonderful ambrosia of wine and/or pastis. The skate was a perfectly cooked morsel served (if I remember correctly) over a fine bean or vegetable purée of some kind. A Riesling Spätlese by the glass went very well with both dishes. A desert of wildberries, creme anglaise, and housemade (shortbread?) cookies almost upstaged everything else. The color, aroma, and taste of the berries nearly converted me to the notion of intelligent design. It certainly reigns in Palena's kitchen.

I walked in at about 5:20, shortly before dinner service started. Despite still setting up for the evening, the staff were very accomodating and made me feel welcome. And they helped me get out before 6:30. Bravi.

Now if only Palena would open a branch on the Hill... One can dream.

Were they blueberries? The dessert I had there last night was blueberries, two kinds of shortbread cookies, and cinnamon sour cream.

I would say it's the best dessert I've had there but every dessert I have there is the best, including the lime tartlet, cassis sandwich, cashew dacquoise, strawberry shortcake, cheesecake, and of course, donuts.

Were they blueberries? The dessert I had there last night was blueberries, two kinds of shortbread cookies, and cinnamon sour cream.

I would say it's the best dessert I've had there but every dessert I have there is the best, including the lime tartlet, cassis sandwich, cashew dacquoise, strawberry shortcake, cheesecake, and of course, donuts.

Blueberries were definitely part of it, but I think some other kinds were also included, perhaps rasp- and/or blackberries. (I wish I had taken a menu with me!)

When I die and go to heaven (presumably, I mean after all I've never served anyone Miracle Whip), the cloud that I sit on and play my harp should be made of Chef Ruta's gnocchi.

I ordered 3 courses off the regular menu last night. Try the bean salad, apparently it's new-- green and yellow string beans with a generous amount of shaved summer truffle, a coddled egg on the side, and a deep fried stuffed pig's ear! I stuck with the pig headed theme and had the gnocchi next. Guanciale really makes this sublime. Then I went off on a tangent and had a perfectly cooked hunk of halibut with favas. Oh my.

Maybe the Pearly Gates are made of Palena's halibut.

Edited by Al Dente

Huh?  Is this how you make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?  What was in the stuffing?  Did it come out like a pork rind?

It was described as a "stuffed pig's ear" on the menu, but it was really more like a pile of chopped up bits of ear that was somehow formed into a ball the size of a golf ball. Then the ball was battered (or maybe breaded? sort of both) and fried. The meat's texture was tender and gelatinous and it was quite rich.

Oddly, I have super-human hearing today. :P

Edited by Al Dente

Blueberries were definitely part of it, but I think some other kinds were also included, perhaps rasp- and/or blackberries. (I wish I had taken a menu with me!)

The most obvious "wild berry" is the local wineberries, which look like red raspberries, but don't have very much flavor, thus the obvious tactic of pairing them with another, more flavorful berry. The other one is wild black raspberries, which may be coming in from Pennsylvania. In past years, I have encountered an individual picking wineberries in large quantities near my home, who said he was taking them to sell to restaurants in Georgetown. I imagine that this year, with the bumper crop out there, industrious wild pickers are bringing them in to chefs who appreciate local foods.

One year a long time ago, when I lived in L.A., my husband and I picked an unusually large amount of chanterelles (like about 50 pounds). We kept a few pounds for our own use, and sold the rest to a couple of restaurants near our home, and to a gourmet produce dealer in the wholesale produce mart downtown. I wouldn't want to try to support myself doing it, but it was kind of fun way for a wild food fan to make a few extra bucks, thanks to Mother Nature.

I have several trees -yes trees not bushes -- bearing what appear to be black raspberries. I was told by the local cognoscenti that they are, however, huckleberries. Plentiful but lacking a great deal of flavor. I mix them with other fruit to enhance flavor.

The house cured duck leg with veal tongue and chorizo off the cafe menu is the sort of dish that gives people epiphanies. From my limited Palena experience, I think a good general rule of thumb to follow is: if the course description includeds the words "house cured" and involves meat, then order it.

A friend and I went to Palena last night, only partly interested in the food and wine (we recalled that the a/c there tends to be in the frigid zone - score!). I had been somewhat avoiding the place since the departure of Jeff and some other staffers I had liked. Although I love Palena's food, a big part of my frequent visits had been the friendly service.

Overall, we had a good meal and a nice time, but I couldn't shake the "something's missing" feeling. The fact that the cafe was awfully crowded didn't help.

About the food: Our cheese plate was delicious, but the portion was miniscule compared to that we have enjoyed on past visits. My favorite cheese was a blue from PA (not Pipe Dreams this time though and the name escapes me now). There was a nice robbiola (sp?) however it was the enjoyably pungent one we've had before. I found the blue-goat to be just ok (my friend loved it) and the last cheese, one from Wales, I found incredibly bland.

I got ye olde favorite gnocchi for my entree and was underwhelmed. The preparation sounded much more exciting (IMO) than it tasted: guanciale, truffle, sweet corn. The portion was significantly smaller than ever before.

For me, last night's food highlight was my dessert, a blueberry sour cream tart. Incredible! I wanted to lick the plate.

Ended up at the Cafe at Palena last night after failing to score a table at Dino's. Hadn't been in ages--mostly because we end up spending tons more than we expected.

We had time constraints and the kitchen seemed to be a bit slow--we finally hailed Kate and told her we had to get out and ordered our desserts in advance to go. Also had her box up the burger. She didn't even blink.

We started with the house cured duck leg, chorizo and veal tongue. All quite good. I wiped the plate clean with bread. Mr. BLB had the caesar--it's coming with a lightly seared tuna these days. I liked it but he's not a big fan of underdone fish. More for me! :P

Shared the gnocchi-- I didn't think the portion was smaller than before but I don't order it when it has the blue cheeses so I'm not as much of an expert. Seriously yum and once again the bread wiped the plate clean.

The blueberry sour cream tart was lovely when we got home and I've got cookies to snack on tomorrow when I stay home to read Harry Potter.

Jennifer

We called Palena a little before 2 on Saturday because we couldn't remember whether lunch goes til 2 or 2:30... glad we called, because we were informed that there will be NO SATURDAY LUNCH for all of August.

Public service announcement to save people the drive and disappointment.

How I wish I remembered your heads up! Tried to have lunch with my mother at Palena yesterday. :P

Does anyone have any guesses as to when the minestrone soup might make an appearance on the cafe menu? Are we talking...October maybe?

We called Palena a little before 2 on Saturday because we couldn't remember whether lunch goes til 2 or 2:30... glad we called, because we were informed that there will be NO SATURDAY LUNCH for all of August.

Public service announcement to save people the drive and disappointment.

Friday night started with a glass of rose, learning a bit about Chenin Blanc, and a couple of apps at Firefly. After chatting with surprise guest Mr. Rockwell we went up to Palena for dinner.

We started off with 2 apps from the regular menu:

Heirloom Tomatoes -- With a bavarois of avocado, balsamico, and an anchovy and tomato foccacia, drizzled with an olive oil from Molise. I was given some very good advice from Rocks that this should be ordered if on the menu. Wow! A beautiful variety of tomato slices and wedges sprinkled with salt mixed with fresh Italian parsley. This my friends, is what summer is all about.

A Cocktail of Tates -- A composed salad of rare seared big eye tuna, stuffed calamaretti, and squash blossoms filled with a crabmeat salad. Served in a vanilla scented confit of small variety tomatoes and zucchini pesto. I thought this was a good app as it provided an good array of flavors, but to me it could not compete with that tomato salad.

Our entrees were from the cafe menu, but I did not take down the specifics on these. I had the lamb shoulder (braised) that was wonderful and served along with a tomato stuffed with bread salad. The lamb was soft and flavorful and my only complaint is that I did not have an entire plate filled with it. :P My friend had the skate which we both thought was just ok.

Dessert was the German Style chocolate cake and the blueberry tart. The tart rocked and I was lucky enough to get (steal) a couple of bites.

Kelli is still managing the front of the house and service was the best I have had there in a long time. While eating I kicked myself for being away for so long.